Home
Posted By: JeffyD Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/22/13
Any recommendations for a classic Northwoods rifle hunt?
I haven't hunted in Maine since the early 80's, and want to plan a return trip for next year. If you've had a positive experience with a guide, I'd like to hear about him.
Thank you.

Jeff
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/23/13
The hunting in Maine will be tough and the deer numbers in the Northern and Western part of Maine have been decimated by bad winters for a few years.

Hal Blood - Cedar Ridge Outfitter in Jackman Maine is probably your best bet for a hunt.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/23/13
Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time in Maine, as a teen, in the 70's. Both deer hunting and summer vacations. It felt like a second home. Sadly, our friends' chicken farm where we stayed closed up, and the owners moved into town, then out of state. Lots of happy memories there.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/24/13
Lived just below Augusta Maine for 17 years - late 70s through '94 and hunted all over the state. Deer numbers were fairly low then and I remember the most deer I saw in any hunting season was 13 deer, but I always managed to shoot one every year. Shot 2 big bucks in 91 & 92 that were 219 & 234 lbs dressed with 150 & 140" racks.

The Northern counties always had low numbers but BIG deer if you were lucky enough to find one. Between the harsh winters and the damn coyotes the deer herd has been drastically reduced. The lower part of the state has much better deer densities than Northern or Western Maine.

I go back to Maine every year in Sept for bear hunting but until the deer herd recovers (if it ever does) I wont deer hunt there.
Posted By: JDK Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/24/13
I don't think anyone (who has any intelligence) comes to Maine to hunt food plots out of a heated stand or plans to see a lot of deer. I also hope that those coming here aren't offended by seeing a spike horn in the back of a truck. That said, 2013 has been an outstanding year for deer in Maine, even in my home county-Aroostook.

Sean Lizotte in Allagash would provide you with a good hunt. Caveat, if you plan on seeing a lot of deer...look elsewhere. If you want a chance at a big bodied deer after a hard hunt, this is the area. Hal Blood is also a good suggestion.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/24/13
I've been hunting long enough (40+ years) to know that buying a license does not guarantee me a deer. To me, it's all about time spent in the beauty of the woods, doing what I love and making memories.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/24/13
Just got back. Call Randy Flannery at Wilderness
Escape Outfitters. Been there many times. The land of wool coats, rubber boots and still-hunting the thick stuff with an open sighted pump or lever gun.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Escape Outfitters. Been there many times. The land of wool coats, rubber boots and still-hunting the thick stuff with an open sighted pump or lever gun.

Thanks so much. That's the kind of hunting I'm talkin' about!

Jeff
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/25/13
He'll be at the Harrisburg show also if you happen to go. With any luck I'll be going back next year, found a shed from a 10 pointer, now I need to find the rest of him but maybe by next year he'll be even bigger.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/25/13
Good to know, Dogslife57. The Mrs. and I plan on returning to Harrisburg for the show. My gun club charters a bus for the trip. It'd be great to meet you there.

Jeff
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/25/13

I was thinking of a bear hunt in Maine, and a friend who deer hunts there also recommened Wilderness Escape. He also recommends North Country lodge. He and another friend both killed MONSTER whitetails at North Country.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Any recommendations for a classic Northwoods rifle hunt?
I haven't hunted in Maine since the early 80's, and want to plan a return trip for next year. If you've had a positive experience with a guide, I'd like to hear about him.
Thank you.

Jeff

Sent you a PM.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/26/13
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

I was thinking of a bear hunt in Maine, and a friend who deer hunts there also recommened Wilderness Escape. He also recommends North Country lodge. He and another friend both killed MONSTER whitetails at North Country.

I also hunted North Country years ago and Randy used to guide for them occasionally back then. The Goodman's (if they still own it) are good people and the lodge is very nice. AFAIK they don't do the Harrisburg show anymore just repeat and referral business. On a more local forum a lot of guys have good things to say about Oxbow Lodge, but I've never been there.

Not to change the subject but as for bear I've hunted both places but prefer Wilderness Escape.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/26/13
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Good to know, Dogslife57. The Mrs. and I plan on returning to Harrisburg for the show. My gun club charters a bus for the trip. It'd be great to meet you there.

Jeff

I usually try to go during the week, like a Wed. depending on weather etc. but if you want PM me the week before, if it works to meet up, great.
Posted By: JDK Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/26/13
Oxbow Lodge is very good.

Posted By: Dantheman Re: Maine Guide/Outfitters? - 11/27/13
I've used Sean Lizotte who owns Allagash Guide Service. I been on three bear hunts with him. Highly recommended.

Allagash Guide Sevice

Dan
© 24hourcampfire