Home
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
I need to work on my patience. Bad. Every year (almost) I curse my itchy finger. Spent all morning and half the afternoon walking coulees and not seeing anything but a half dozen does and a spike. Sat in the same spot my son shot his buck out of last week and around dusk a buck appeared. Same buck I'm sure that we saw before he shot his, but was too far out to get a good look at, and no real way to get closer without spooking the one we had close. Besides, bird in the hand and all that. Anyways, he showed up way out there, so we took off to at least get a look at him. Got closer, I figured him for a shooter and we kept going. Smaller buck showed up beside him. We stalked to around 300 yards. I sat down and plunked him through the lungs, he ran in a circle, I shot him again when he faced me strait on. His circle tightened and he crashed, pretty violently. Like he was pizzed, legs tearing up the earth. Took awhile to find our packs we'd dropped on the stalk blush and longer yet to find him. Dressed him out in the very last of the light of the day.

Clean up until we found him, I was convinced he was a toad. Boy, talk about ground shrinkage grin. Still cool though, had another fun stalk with my son, and got a decent deer out of it. The cool thing is he was an old warrior by the looks of it. Lots of grey, and this face was covered in old scars. Decent body size, not BIG, but fair at least. Had a good fat layer too. Wicked brows on him.

Shot with a 22-250, 62 ttsx, enough Varget to get better than 3500 fps.

Jason

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[/quote]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
BGG...thats a NICE deer for nowadays!

Cool beans!
Posted By: SLM Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Congrats.

I'm going to send you guys some trees. Are deer in pretty good shape in your country? (Numbers not health)
Thanks gents.

From what I've seen they seem to be SLM. Both bucks we've taken this year had some serious fat. Numbers seem about on par with last year in my little pocket of prairie hell. That is to say better than they've been, but lower than they were. grin I've seen a pretty fair number of bucks the little I"ve been out this year. With the lack of doe tags lots and lots of little bucks are going to get whacked, I predict next year might be a bit tougher to find some horn. But WTF do I know, I'm no biologist or herd manager.

Was really hoping to get another chance at a buck I saw last year, dark horned, phoucing heavy heavy 4X4. But I guess I'm hoping he lives another year.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Is that a new hoodie??
Posted By: SKane Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Nice buck! Congrats!
I couldn't find the other one when I was getting my stuff together.

So yes. grin
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Sweet.

Oh yeah, nice dink, too.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Congrats - that's a nice buck. Doubt I could let that one walk any day of the season! Looks like fun country to hunt.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Nice buck. Congrats!
Very nice buck!!!! Thanks for the photos.. Best of luck the rest of the fall!!!!
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/26/14
Sounds like a good Saturday out.
Posted By: muzzleblast Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
way to go bgg!
Thanks guys. Was a pretty cool season all in all. Have a couple elk tags that will very likely burn, but who knows, may see one calling dogs. Here's me and the boy with our racks. His is by far the better trophy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Good looking buck, Congrats!

And some fine shooting as well.

Guy
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Nothing wrong with either of the bucks, especially when the two of you were hunting together. Looks like the 62's worked pretty good..... congrats!!
Thanks Guy. First one was in and out right through the lungs. Had I just waited it'd been all over. But the fence lines being what they are, I really didn't want him to go far, thus the follow up. I know I heard it, and I saw the reaction so I KNEW I'd hit him, but I'll be damned if I could find the second hole. But as I skinned out the neck toward the head at last I found it. Dead center through the throat. Was kinda high up, had he had his head higher it would've spined him. But his head was low enough when I shot that it just went straight into the innards, it didn't exit. Maybe a coyote will choke on it. grin
Yeah Mike, I think I'll stick with those 62s!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Can't wait to see if the fast twist Swift likes them.....
Betting it will. And you'll never look back.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Sweet bucks and pics!

Little fuzz on your buck yet.

Must gonna be a cold Winter...

One really nice thing about shooting a buck opening weekend is they always taste better now than in a month.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Congrat's, looks like a great season so far.
Posted By: davidlea Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Nice bucks for you and your boy. Sounds like great fun-thanks for the story and pictures.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Congrats ! The 62 gr TTSX is a hammer on deer
Posted By: wageslave Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Good run for the Gruff's, so far.
Good shooting, too.
I love it.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Good job BGG... Those brows are cool..
Posted By: Scotty Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Nice bucks!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Nice buck and a good story. Glad to hear about the TTSX performance! A good season for sure!
Posted By: pointer Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Very well done! Glad Gruff Jr. was there. Super times, congrats.
Posted By: deflave Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Good work Gruff.

Miller better activate the third shift if you have nothing left to do all season.

Travis
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Well done, both of you. Congrats.
Thanks again all.

Yeah 'flave, High Lives do be draining here in abundance. But alas, I've a ton of rounds I need to load before packing all my gun stuff up and hauling it down the road. Actually thought about not taking the rest of the week off, but that's just silly. Wife tried to get me to go back already. grin
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/27/14
Nicely done sir. Congrats.
Posted By: efw Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/28/14
Excellent work BGG; cool time w/ your son can't be beat!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/31/14
Nice buck Jason, even better hunting pardner.

Congrats!
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/31/14
Great job - nice bucks!!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/31/14
I'd take a nice deer if getting to share it with my hunting partner, over a big deer shot alone, any day.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Opening day MT muley - 10/31/14
Congratulations, those are some great memories.
© 24hourcampfire