Home
Good sized moccasin for around here. Was about to jump down in a dry creek bed, but glad I looked first.

[Linked Image]

That's a 5.5" XDM there, which isn't a small pistol. 180gr XTP ruined his day.

Be careful out there.....

Nothing nastier than a Cotton Mouthed Water Moccasin ! Kill em ALL!
Rattlers generally get a pass, but I hate to leave a moccasin breathing....
They seem to have the pissiest attitudes.
I don't deal out passes for snakes. I rarely leave one behind me alive.

Black, green, ringneck or rattler.

We don't have moccasins around here, or I would for damn sure kill them too.

Water snakes in general are pretty cranky, even the non-poisonous ones. Must be the frog diet.
That's a good one for sure. I killed about a 3 footer on Big Creek today with my SR22. One to the body as he was trying to leave and a follow up to the noggin.

Looks like the hogs are still in action. Hopefully I'll run into a pack in the next few weeks.
Still finding some hog sign here as well. When the acorns drop, that'll shake things up a bit.
Good on you for killing that, we have several of them up my way that get lead poisoning every chance we get
Good work. I fugking hate poisonous snakes.

Travis
Ugly!!!
That bast@rd could sure phugg up your day.
Good shooting! Man do I hate snakes!
I saw a grass snake yesterday. I was glad I didn't kill it with the weed whacker. They eats skeeters ya know. Never saw a water moccoaain. My wife ran them over a few times when she lived in Oriental ,N.C.
Moccasins are born mad at the world and only get grumpier as they age. I think they would probably crawl five miles out of their way if they thought they'd get to bite something.

Thankfully, we don't have them locally but I have bumped into some fishing in Eastern NC and for them I do not care a damn.
One was in the road is I was leaving the pond. Piece of pipe ended his day.
I have seen them come all the way across a fish or minnow pond to try and get to me.
They stink to high heaven and I have often smelled them before I saw them.

umpteen years ago several of us were sitting around drinking heavily and a guy brought one in that he had just killed ,we skinned it, cut it up into about 3 inch long pieces and boiled it about 5 minutes then floured it and fried it in a skillet and it was damned good !
I remember saying that someone had finally found a use for the stinking sobs !
Im a snake guy...I will even give rattlers a pass.

But A water moccasin.....nope.

They have a totally different attitude about life, theirs AND yours.

So I give them at attitude adjustment. Still have the skin of a big one hanging upstairs that tried his best-and all too nearly succeeded- in getting me to room temperature.
I drove a Kubota into an embankment the other day, because I was trying to ram a snake.

Upon closer look, as it was shucking and jiving trying to dodge the bucket I was trying to smash it with, I realized it was a corn snake, and not the copperhead I made him to be...
We trounced all over our lease in rattlesnake country this past weekend with nary a sighting - very thankful for that as we had 3 kids with us. The only snake spotted was something unidentified but presumed harmless swimming across a stock pond. Scorpions were thick though!
Nice shot! Bigun too.
© 24hourcampfire