Home
Posted By: gophergunner Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Well, I'm trying it again this year, and it's all ready driving me nuts. I put the razor away last week, much to Sweetwife's chagrin, and I'm so friggin' itchy from this stuff on my face, I'm about ready to get out the brush hog and mow it all off again. Who grows a deer season beard? When do you start, and when do you shave it off? I said last fall I wasn't shaving 'till I shot a deer. Of course I had the ZZ Top look going by the end of muzzleloader season, and still was eating tag soup. The damned beard mysteriously disappeared the next day.........
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Started mine in early September. Starting to like it now. I did clean it up a bit for a wedding but didn't shave it off.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
I've had a deer beard year round for a couple years now. Last year I quit trimming it in the fall until about Christmas.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
i've had mine for 2 weeks and can't stop scrapin' at it. fuggen thing feels like a giant scab
Posted By: old70 Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Because I have to shave for work, I stop shaving the day I get to camp, so I get stubble that has to come off when I head back. Just can't see taking the time to shave during the season.
Posted By: hunter8mm Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
started mine in september it is really growing the wife hates it. Lol
Posted By: ejo Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
****This is the gayest post I have written*****

I've got mine going and would suggest you gentlemen get some quality beard oil. Have your woman rub it in every couple of days, works like magic.

http://www.beardsupply.com/products...70ZZ4jyOHnA1VOGiRsOcalz8JqkTIaAjIR8P8HAQ

Posted By: rost495 Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
SCBA won't seal over the top of a beard, so none for me.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Well I just started growing one for next year. Mustache and beard. The reason I did this is the folks my Daughter and I hunt with a family in Northern CA. The Father and one son all have beards and they each got a Buck. Told the Daughter I was growing it and she then reminded me that I got a Buck in the first season without one and she then reminded me of the 7 Bucks taken up north 4 were by her and the other gals and surprisingly none of them had beards. Out came the razor.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Late start here, I keep it pretty clean for a tight seal with respirator mask for priming/painting cars.

I skipped the shave this morning tho, let r go for a while.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
I had a beard for 15 years than had to shave for a job for 10 years, had the beard for 2 1/2 years now been keeping it trimed down some cuz the dam thing is more white than brown anymore! but after bow season ill let it go till spring!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Shaving is for beavers...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
I grew one over the last month, going to shave it off tonight though. I've been skunked deer hunting EVERY time I had a full beard. I'll be clean shaved on opening morning.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
It's always deer season somewhere. grin

I haven't shaved mine completely off since 1980 or so. Trimmed at times, never shaved. Got tired of twice a day shaving, once for work, later the same day for dates, by the time I was 25.

Never saw a job I needed so bad I had to shave.

Geno
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
Grew mine in '76 for the bicentennial, only shaved if off once in all the years though I keep it shorter than when I was younger. I run the trimmer over it Sunday morning when getting ready for church and maybe once during the week. Since I've been retired I don't shave every day, maybe 3-4x a week now.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Deer season beards - 10/22/15
I started mine back in 1992. Have never shaved it off since. My wife has never seen me without it other than old pictures.
Posted By: MolonLabe41 Re: Deer season beards - 10/23/15
Just started growing mine last week. I used to have a duck dynasty type beard, but had to shave if off years ago to work in oil world.

Got a new boss and he's so laid back and allows it. Beard coming on and will not shave again unless forced.
Posted By: TDN Re: Deer season beards - 10/24/15
I have a beard on and off through the year, or at least stubble or goatee . Deer beard starts Oct 1 and usually runs through Dec.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Deer season beards - 10/24/15
Deer beards are tradition in my family. And the secret is that if luck won't find you you must shave your deer beard into some ridiculous combination of goofy sideburns and giant mustache or foo manchu to bring luck. Generally the more silly the better with KC at bat sideburns mustache one piece unit being very high on the list insofar as luck generation goes.

The family hunting album has some killer pictures of guys with facial hair that they would likely never have worn in public, with dead deer and elk.

I keep at least a goatee all year but will let it run during hunting season as well as foregoing haircuts some years. When I get to looking like 1970's Waylon Jennings, it's killing time.
Originally Posted by ejo
****This is the gayest post I have written*****

I've got mine going and would suggest you gentlemen get some quality beard oil. Have your woman rub it in every couple of days, works like magic.

http://www.beardsupply.com/products...70ZZ4jyOHnA1VOGiRsOcalz8JqkTIaAjIR8P8HAQ

What's it do?

Posted By: bigswede358 Re: Deer season beards - 10/24/15
Mine looks like this all year, except for the frost.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Deer season beards - 10/24/15
I start mine when ever I go out west to hunt, Usually October but this year November. I don't shave until after duck season in mid-January. I'm starting to get some of those pesky white hairs in mine too.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Deer season beards - 10/25/15
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Shaving is for beavers...

[Linked Image]

Adamantly disagree! Shaved beavers are for pedophiles! Never seen an adult beaver without fur - they'd freeze to death!!!

I am all for hunting season beards! Now that I am retired, I've decided to keep mine, at least in some variation.
Posted By: Steve_in_PA Re: Deer season beards - 10/25/15
Due to my job, I'm clean shaven....except for a 'stache! But, I'm able to save all my holiday/vacation time until bear and deer season here in PA, so I end up with 29 day of beard growth! wink
Posted By: Dale K Re: Deer season beards - 10/25/15
The last time I shaved was 17 years ago. My then 3 year old son took one look and said "Put it back Daddy". Now he can grow his own. smile

I keep my beard pretty short most of the year but I'll let it grow some now that the big deer season is only a month or so away.

Dale
This tread is useless without pics. grin
Posted By: TheKid Re: Deer season beards - 10/25/15
[Linked Image]Don't think Hank done it this way!
Posted By: horse1 Re: Deer season beards - 10/27/15
Originally Posted by Steve_in_PA
Due to my job, I'm clean shaven....except for a 'stache!

Posted By: goalie Re: Deer season beards - 10/27/15
I was going to be clean-shaven this year, but then I rode up to the lake place and back with my brother-in-law to take out the dock and boat lifts.

He had the mumps.

Due to a perfect storm of being too young to have had the mumps, and too old to have gotten a booster, my antibody levels are not high enough for me to go to work (in hospital, lots of contact with immune-suppressed patients) until after deer season (no presumptive immunity) so I quit shaving.

It will be great as long as I don't actually get the mumps.
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer season beards - 10/27/15
Mine is almost out of control. But it bugs the heck out of the lady friend so I'm keeping it. It's an itchy SOB though.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Deer season beards - 10/27/15
I grew a beard the minute I left high school in 1970, mainly to piss off the old man. I haven't shaved it since. Early iterations of the "Duck Dynasty/ZZ Top" style have segued into a neatly trimmed work of art that dogs love, women adore, and make people think I'm The Most Interesting Man in the World guy.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Deer season beards - 10/27/15
I almost have to have one for the time being. We just had a new baby and everyone knows little ones love whiskers!

Heck if the weather holds through the weekend I may actually get to get out on the boat and go deer hunting. Wasn't expecting to go this year, but if the opportunity is there I'll take it!
Posted By: greentimber Re: Deer season beards - 10/27/15
I started in August this year in advance of elk season. My wife likes it for some reason I can't explain. I think it makes me look old as hell and I've had people ask me if my little boy is my grandson. Oh well. She likes it and I hate shaving so we're going to let it roll.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Deer season beards - 10/28/15
This thing's coming in pretty nice, but man, is it grey. It really sucks to get old! If I could just get the damned stuff on top to grow like this, I wouldn't have that skinhead look going.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Deer season beards - 10/28/15
i start every year in about september and let it go till spring ( unless we catch an h2s job)
Anyone use beard oil? Does it serve a real purpose?
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Deer season beards - 10/29/15
Tinks 69 works.
Yeah, but it makes me act all stupid and follow invisible trails...
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Deer season beards - 10/30/15
Nuttin wrong with a good lip curl early in the morning.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Deer season beards - 10/30/15
I used to not shave for the deer season, but my Wife said that all I did was make my face look dirty. I can't grow much of one. Chin is about all. I do have a Mustache, that I grew on a bet back in 1971, and had it ever since. My Wife has never seen me without it. miles
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Deer season beards - 10/30/15
My wife always told me that if I quit shaving, she would too.
Posted By: bart71175 Re: Deer season beards - 10/30/15
I'm not sure exactly when I started my beard, but I have been married to my wife for 36 years and lived together for a couple years before that and she has never seen me clean shaven. I periodically change things up, full beard trimmed, full beard pretty shaggy, mustache & goatee, but never clean shaven.

Bart
Posted By: 3006Justin Re: Deer season beards - 10/30/15
I grew a beard for 4 years straight and loved it but the wife didn't and on top of it, I'm in my mid 30's and have a gray to white goatee part and blondish brown mutton chops part. I just think I'm to young to have to "Grecian 5" my facial hair so I just don't shave a week or so out before deer opener to keep the face warm. By the way, when you take a shower use some of your lady's hair conditioner on your beard and that'll help out with the itch.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: Deer season beards - 10/31/15
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Anyone use beard oil? Does it serve a real purpose?

I bought some Duck Butter brand beard oil a guy was peddling at a gun show a couple years ago. It acts kind of like a conditioner would. keeps some of the wild whiskers at bay also. It does come in 4 different scents that the wife likes, so that part ain't to bad. Most the time my beard just smells like whatever species of wood we ran through the sawmill for work that day.
Posted By: Grunt_0351 Re: Deer season beards - 10/31/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GSSP Re: Deer season beards - 11/01/15
This was taken yesterday am when my son had just shot his 1st deer with my custom 257 Roberts. I've been growing my beard about 1 month.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Deer season beards - 11/01/15
Probably have not shaved in 25 years or more.. Did it for a joke the day after school let out.. Had to stop in the office for something.. The staff and I were close pals.. None of them recognized me until I spoke..
© 24hourcampfire