Home
Posted By: mooshoo silver tips - 01/02/16
I wish Winchester would bring back the old silver tips, I liked em and reminds me of the old days, when you ended up going to the gun shop and getting the yellow box and the big red x!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
That's all I used in a 30-06 150gr. till I couldn't buy em off the self anymore. Went to the hornady 165 gr. BTSP and never looked back.
Posted By: wink_man Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I wish Winchester would bring back the old silver tips, I liked em and reminds me of the old days, when you ended up going to the gun shop and getting the yellow box and the big red x!

Like this?

[Linked Image]

I think(not sure), that this box preceded the box with the big red x.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
Power points with a thin aluminum shim is all they are

I miss the good old days too

When I was a kid deer season was a big time event

Not so much these days
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
I was lucky enough to get my hands on 500 or so 180 grain 30 cal silver tips... For reloading.
Posted By: saddlering Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
Yes just something about them! I think it makes us older guys go back in time if just for a split second! love the 303 savage 190 grain silver tips!
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
I miss them too. Brings back a lot of old memories.
Posted By: jwall Re: silver tips - 01/02/16
Originally Posted by mooshoo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

like these ?... smile

Sorry, couldn't help it. I've had these for some time and plan to load some this year.

Jerry
Posted By: mooshoo Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
yep was a big thing, thanks guy's just feeling a little vintage
Posted By: moosemike Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
They were my favorite bullets. I used the 170 in the .30-30 and the .32 Special.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
The 200 gr Silvertip from my .358 has taken the most game for me.

I used it over 3031 primarily on the VT hills for deer out of my 99F.

When WW stopped making the bullet long ago my late dad made me a swaging tool to put a spitzer shape on Speer's 180 gr flat nose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
My daughter has maybe half a box of hand loaded 130 grainers for her 270. Then they are all gone. I'll miss them as well. I remember saving my allowance to buy 30/30 Silvertips. Back when kids had to earn their keep. I'd bring them home and admire them for an hour or so. Nothing like a brand new box of shinny Silvertips. Made a lad feel down right rich. Evenings and Saturdays splitting and stacking firewood suddenly had a value. They're no better or worse than any other bullet. Just one of those memories that remind us of simpler times.
Same here Otter. As a young man I'd buy a box of Winchester 170 Silvertips for my .30-30 or .32 Special and I'd just pull them out of the box and stare at them. No other ammo ever quite had that effect on me.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
170 grain silvertips were my favorite .30-30 load. Downright deadly on deer and the tips didn't get all mashed up in the mag tube. I don't know why they weren't more popular.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
Gotta say this is the first time I've heard much positive about them. I've never used them, just heard a lot more negative than positive about them. I have a full box of 180gr .308 that came with a rifle I bought, was going to pull the bullets to save the brass,as .308 brass is presently rather scarce around here.
Posted By: rbell Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
I still have a few in 30 cal 180s and 270 130s. Besides being reminiscent of old time hunts they were effective. I have recovered two from moose. The 3006 180 average 137 gr shot at about 110 yards and 80 yards. The others just punched thru. In the 270 I have only recovered two the remainder pushed thru . The 270 130 average 98 gr into a whitetail and a mule deer both shot around 175 yards. I also wish they still had them, although I still have enough to last. I switched to nosler partitions about 20 years ago when my boys were each 14 years old and I wanted to ensure adequate expansion at down loaded velocities. In hindsight the silver tips would have been just as effective.
Posted By: rbell Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
I delivered milk when I was 13 to 16 years old. One of the strong visuals in one house was a young man going on a deer hunt with a winchester 94 in 30-30 and a red and yellow box of silver tips. That dates me, and I was an up a coming looney even before i had a gun. On another occasion I went over to a classmates house to admire the two elk and three deer his dad and his friend had taken, again with a winchester 30-30 and silver tips. I made a point of asking as thats what up and coming looneys do.
I have a perfectly mushroomed 30-30 170 Silvertip I dug out of the heart of a Bull Moose I killed.

My Grandfather loved the 200 Silvertip in the 35 Remington and my uncle swore by the 150 Silvertip in his 30-06.

I used to work with an elderly gentleman who had taken several Elk in Colorado with his Winchester model 88 308 with 180 Silvertips.
Posted By: BFD Re: silver tips - 01/03/16
They blew up on me too often. Ruined a lot of meat.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
Originally Posted by BFD
They blew up on me too often. Ruined a lot of meat.

Elk,deer,moose? Just curious. What were you shooting them out of? What weight were they?
Posted By: Micro_Groove Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
My dad still has about a box. He would shoot five or six deer every season with great results. He used to tell me when I was a small boy that the Lone Ranger had given him the cartridges. Good times.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
You shot game in the 'meat'?

I used the 200 grain Silvertip for a lifetime and they never blew up!
Posted By: moosemike Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
I loved them so much my e-mail used to be "silvertip3030"
Posted By: hclark Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
I grew up with them also. Took my first deer at age 12 with a Rem 81 30 Rem Silvertip and my second with my Win 94 30-30 170 gr Silvertip. In 2010 I took this one with a 303 Savage 190 gr Silvertip.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
2012 buck. 180 grain Silvertip factory 300 savage. He felt suddenly ill.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
Same ammo, different rifle. Poor guy developed silver poisoning at 230 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: silver tips - 01/04/16
I'm a fan too. Cool pics. Here's our deceased via Silver tip thread.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: silver tips - 01/05/16
Deceased by Silvertip! Daughters first buck via 130gr .277 Silvertip over 53gr of I4350.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: silver tips - 01/05/16
Another Silvertip victim. Same load in her Mom'S old M700 270.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: silver tips - 01/05/16
Originally Posted by Otter6
Deceased by Silvertip! Daughters first buck via 130gr .277 Silvertip over 53gr of I4350.

[Linked Image]

THAT'S very nice for a First buck.

Tell her CONGRATS!

Jerry
Posted By: rbell Re: silver tips - 01/05/16
One more story (truth). I lived in Edmonton for 3 years from 1975 to 1978. One Saturday I went to WW Arcade, a hardware store with a large gunshot. There was a fellow trading in a pre 64 Winchester 70 in 30-06 on a new Sarko in 7mmRem. I struck up a conversation with him and tried to buy the 3006 but it was spoken for.
Turns out he was a guide in North western Alberta , and had guided for 25 years using that same 3006. I asked him why he traded in . . He said he had been reading about the 7mm remington and just wanted to try it. I asked about the 3006 and was it effective, and what ammo did he use. He said it was mighty effective.. He used factory 180 gr silver tips and it put them down every time, whether it was deer, elk moose or grizzly bear.
Posted By: moosemike Re: silver tips - 01/05/16
Originally Posted by rbell
One more story (truth). I lived in Edmonton for 3 years from 1975 to 1978. One Saturday I went to WW Arcade, a hardware store with a large gunshot. There was a fellow trading in a pre 64 Winchester 70 in 30-06 on a new Sarko in 7mmRem. I struck up a conversation with him and tried to buy the 3006 but it was spoken for.
Turns out he was a guide in North western Alberta , and had guided for 25 years using that same 3006. I asked him why he traded in . . He said he had been reading about the 7mm remington and just wanted to try it. I asked about the 3006 and was it effective, and what ammo did he use. He said it was mighty effective.. He used factory 180 gr silver tips and it put them down every time, whether it was deer, elk moose or grizzly bear.

Never sell Ol' trusty to try something new.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: silver tips - 01/06/16
I used them years ago in 30-30 and thought they were pretty expansive even at that anemic MV. Still have 100 or so of the .277 140g boat tails stashed away for cool factor. They are very accurate, just assumed they'd be a little soft on critters based on the performance in 30-30.
Posted By: postoak Re: silver tips - 01/10/16
I read they were introduced in 1946. Somehow I thought they'd been around longer than that. When were they discontinued?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: silver tips - 01/10/16
Love those Silvertips also... Shot a few out of my .30-30 and 32 spl.. Still have quite a few loaded.. I loved the .300 H & H loaded with that bullet.. Some time ago I bought 500 .30 150 gr. Silvertips from a local guy.. After I got to looking at them, they are all spitzer, but some are the same as jwall pictured, others have a bigger tip.. There were like three or four variations.. Shot some deer and antelope with them, need to load some for my various .30 cal. rifles..
Posted By: ingwe Re: silver tips - 01/10/16
Silvertips are the shizz in a .30-30 !
© 24hourcampfire