Home
It came down to the last afternoon hunting with my son, Harrison. We wanted at least one more deer, for hamburger and cubed steak.

He made a not so good shot at about 125 yards (a little back) but ran the bolt quick and his second shot as the buck was making for the edge of the field stopped him cold. A little buck fever set in because I made him wait several minutes for the buck to come from 200 yards away closer to us.

[Linked Image]

Recovered one 100 grain Hornady factory BTSP from the buck, the other was a pass through.

[Linked Image]

A doe hung around too long about 225-230 yards away in a field we could see behind the blind we were sitting in but a different field from the one with the buck in it. My first deer with a .243, a Remington Varmint model that is a tack driver.

[Linked Image]

Because of school this year I have been able to take my son hunting more this year than in the past. This is his 5th season hunting and he ended up the year with 5 deer total, 2 bucks and 3 does to my 4 deer, 2 does and and 2 bucks.

He's had a good year and and I have had a blast hunting with him. He is ready and waiting for turkey season now.

Bob.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/13/16
Fine looking young man and buck!

Congrats to both of you.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/13/16
Great job!
Congratulation's to you both.

Doc
Posted By: SKane Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/13/16
Looks like one happy lad.
Congrats to both of you - nice way to close out the season!
Congratulations.
Those little Hornady's are killin' mofos. Congratulations to the young man and his Dad.

What a great time! It's really good practice to have to work that bolt and get on it again ...
Congrats on the hunt. Doesn't get any better then hunting with your own kid.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/14/16
Congrats to both of you
Nice job!
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/15/16
Congratulations! Sounds like a great season for you both, hope you have many more to share together.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/15/16
You are a blessed man! Congrats to both of you and may you enjoy this for many years to come!
Good stuff right there! Congrats!
"Last day/Last Minute" hunts are some of the best. Good job men!!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/22/16
Great job dad! What part of 'bama are you hunting in? I hunt lower Montgomery Co.
Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.

Matt, we hunt at the lower end of Perry County and in Dallas county. The tract of land is partially in both counties.

Bob.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Last afternoon in Alabama - 02/24/16
Hunted once in Perry Co near Sprott, good deer and muddy as hell.
Matt,

Muddy and the mud sticks to your tires and boots. Walk 100 yards and your boots weigh 10lbs. And we got a lot of rain this season, Lacrosse burly's are standard foot gear!

Bob.
© 24hourcampfire