Home
Posted By: ingwe Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
OK, the 60 gr partition thread got me to thinking,plus the 50 grain thread in varmints.

Anybody have experience on deer and such with the 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip?

I shot a couple good sized hogs with it, and they died. But thats only a sample of two.

Tell e your experiences....
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
I shot a small mule deer buck with a 220 swift with plain old hornady 60gr soft points,it knocked him flat at about a 100 yards. I'd do it again no problem.
Posted By: deflave Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
Hornady 60's are proven killahs.

Ingwe,

Did those Noslers exit and at what range did you shoot them?

Travis
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
I watched my son shoot an impala and 2 springbuck with 3 shots with 60 Hornady's out of a 22-250. Both spring bucks were further than 350 and dead within 10 feet. Impala died on the spot.

Sorry, no experience with the 60 Noslers.

The more I shoot the BT's the more I find them pretty tough. I shot a whitetail with 70 BT's out of a 6-284 at over 3800 and something exited, I think the solid base and turned his lungs to mush. he didn't take a step.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
Ranges were 100 and 125 yards. Did not exit...head shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FWIW I shot couple others similarly with 63 gr Sierra SMP and they exited...

And yes, used to shoot 60 gr. Hornadys in the old days before uber premium bullets grin
If my 22 Varminters were tighter twist I would load some 60 Ballistic Tips and report back to you.

I'd not hesitate one bit to use them.

Just shoot tight to the shoulder and bet they die within 20 yards, but probably in their tracks.

Going to try 63s this year and may shoot a couple with an old favorite, 55 Gameking, they work better than they should.

Just checked the Conservation website and looking like I am going to be limited to 3 antlerless deer with a firearm this year. Minimal stunt shooting of the smoothies.
Posted By: deflave Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I watched my son shoot an impala and 2 springbuck with 3 shots with 60 Hornady's out of a 22-250. Both spring bucks were further than 350 and dead within 10 feet. Impala died on the spot.

The Hornady SP or their V-Max?

Travis
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/08/16
SP Travis
Years ago a buddy had a .22-250, and really liked 60gr Hornady factory ammo, but could not find it for sale. I offered to show him how to load them, so he came over and we loaded up some 60gr SP Hornadys with a reasonable starting load. At some point he killed two javelina with one shot, became convinced I'd done some evil dangerous voodoo with the loads, and refused to use them anymore. grin

So yeah, I expect the 60gr SP will kill deer smile
Posted By: rost495 Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/09/16
With barnes around, I don't know why one would look further...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/09/16
Originally Posted by rost495

Because we are rifle loonies.

As soon as we find something that works really well ( like barnes)...we gotta try something else.... crazy
Or because the Poobah asks about 60's and we start wondering about the question, ourselves... smile
Originally Posted by rost495

I do. I'd rather hunt with a bullet/load that I've fired a couple thousand of in the past year, rather than a more expensive bullet I've only fired 50 of. That's been my reasoning with the 65gr SGK anyway...

Really that's just a bunch of words to whine that Barnes bullets are more expensive. grin
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/09/16
I just bought some 62 grain barnes to kill deer/antelope with. I looked at the 60 Nosler BT, but decided to go Barnes. I have never had trouble killing stuff with wally world special ammo, so I don't know why I am playing with all this high tech stuff.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/09/16
I've shot several hogs with the 60 ballistic tip. Worked well. Hope to try on a deer this year. I have not been able to bring myself to try it on deer when I have so many 64 grain win. PP'S loaded and they have worked so well for me.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/09/16
These baby bullet dont kill nothing..... Gotta have a .338 or bigger if you want to be a true killer.........
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/10/16
Originally Posted by Mohawk
I've shot several hogs with the 60 ballistic tip. Worked well.

How did it work on body shots? Apparently Ok....?
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/10/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mohawk
I've shot several hogs with the 60 ballistic tip. Worked well.

How did it work on body shots? Apparently Ok....?
r

The three I shot were head/neck area shots. Only one exited. Based on this limited test I think they would perform fine on a body shot. Hope to do some more testing on feral swine. My dad has some loaded for his porch rifle and I'm sure he will have some test media show up soon to root up his yard.
Posted By: efw Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/14/16
Will the 60 stabilize in a 12" twist? Are they appreciably better than the 55?

I picked up a HTS-stocked mini Mauser here and am hoping to bloody it on deer this year.

I have 55 gr Horn Spires aplenty, as well as their GMX which I'm gonna test over CFE-223.

Thanks everybody for the great conversation as always!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/14/16
With my experience, and Scenarshooters with the 55 grain Hornadys..I wouldn't bother with the 60s...especially in a regular .223

And yes, they'll stabilize...both of them. But I couldn't tell one iota difference in performance between the 55 and 60.

This mule deer doe caught a 55 grain Hornady right behind the shoulder, complete penetration and exit..DRT ( which I really didn't expect...) at just over 100 yards.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
These baby bullet dont kill nothing..... Gotta have a .338 or bigger if you want to be a true killer.........

That's right Charles, then AI the case and push 275 Swifts to 2850 fps and keep all shots under 50'. laugh
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/14/16
One reason to choose 60 grainers is if the state you're hunting in requires it.

Wyoming for instance requires 22 CF bullets to be at least 60 grains for deer/antelope. That's why I got me some 62 TSXs to throw at them this fall.
With my experience, and Scenarshooters with the 55 grain Hornadys..I wouldn't bother with the 60s...especially in a regular .223

If in plain vanilla 223 a 55 Gameking will spit right through about any deer around. AI the 223 or run the Gameking in 220 or 22-250 and stay behind the shoulders in the airbags and shoot through them as well. Normally DRT!!

55 Gamekings are what we shot after Missouri got off of the minimum of 70 grain pills 25 years ago.

Then enter the 60 Partition, having to stay out of the shoulders was no longer an issue. Aim for the shoulder and let the Partition do its thing. DRT most times as well.

Going to try either 63 Sierra SMP or 60 grain Hornady this year.
Posted By: tzone Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/16/16
How about 60 npt out of rar compact? Load advise appreciated!
I've plumb gave up on the 62 Swift Scirocco. It should be perfect for my #1, but 1 3/8" is the best it will do for 5 shots. That from a rifle that bugholes 77gr Bergers.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/28/16
Good to know. I wont spend any money on them...
Posted By: pullit Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/29/16
Anybody tried the 65 gr Sierra Gameking bullets, my Tikka is shooting them into sub .5" groups at around 2860 FPS.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 08/29/16
Check out the other thread on this forum about .22 cal deer bullets. I know a few guys here who like them.
Originally Posted by pullit
Anybody tried the 65 gr Sierra Gameking bullets, my Tikka is shooting them into sub .5" groups at around 2860 FPS.

Launched from a AR15, into a small Texas buck. It broke the onside humerus, and stopped in the offside hide.

[Linked Image]

It worked, but I don't think I'd try to break a shoulder with one of them.
Good to know. I wont spend any money on them...

I picked up some Berger 70gr VLD's. They are about .97" long, which is about .060" shorter than the 77's which shoot well in the #1, so they should be fine in it. I'll probably see what shoots better, them or 55gr TTSX
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I've plumb gave up on the 62 Swift Scirocco. It should be perfect for my #1, but 1 3/8" is the best it will do for 5 shots. That from a rifle that bugholes 77gr Bergers.

You may improve those groups if you tweak the COAL.

Try jumping them more.

DF

Worth a try. They definitely don't work close to the lands, or on them.
Seemed to me the bigger the jump, the tighter the group.

Before trying that, I was about done with them, too.

If you can get them to shoot, they do have good terminal performance.

DF
No critters to show, interesting bullet.

Cutting Edge MTH (Match ,Tactical, Hunting)

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_B55

8 twist .22-250, CM Shilen/Mohawk.

55 gr. MTH

Three shot .35" at a hundred,

37.5 gr. Big Game, 3,499 fps av. ES 25, SD 13.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Remington 700 LTR 223 1-9 twist shoots the 62 grain Swift Scirocco very well. 23 grains of Benchmark, WSR primers , coal just off the lands. I plan on trying it on some Hogs soon.
Originally Posted by pullit

Haven't killed any big game with them, but that's my main bullet in the AR; very accurate and easy to push fast, and cheap enough to load in bulk.
My Mini 14 custom really likes those 65 gr. SGK's.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: keith Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 09/03/16
The 55g hornady is the toughest of all the current available 55g bullets, and they are very, very accurate.

As you go up in weight and toughness

60g Hornady sp
63g Sierra
65g Sierra
64g Winchester is the toughest

If you can find any, the old pMC 64 or 64g are tough as hell.

60g Nosler partition shoots 1 1/2" in a 14 twist, and they do better in a 9 or 12 twist. They really make a mess out of a deer out of a 22/250 with a 14 twist and max load of IMR 4350, win primer. These will often surprise you in how accurate they are out of a 12 twist or tighter.

Nosler came up with the 64g Bonded for law enforcement, but Texas shooters have been killing heck out of hogs with them...I have never shot them.

I shot two does with an AR with 62g barnes at 270 yards. They both ran, but died within 75 yards, no blood trail at all.

I shot does and antelope with a 788 with a 55g winchester(soft bullet) with a load of 26.5g of win 748. My last anteope buck was 470 yards, he just flopped on the spot. The does just dropped in their tracks also with lung shots, 75-100 yd shots.

A 22/250 AI with a 12 twist shooting the 64g Win at 3700 is all the deer rifle a guy would ever need. I shoot the 60g Hornady Sp at 3700 with 37g of Win 760 and a fed 210 primer, Rem brass. This bullet is not as tough as the 64g win, but gets the job done in spades.

I shot a 120lb buck for meat last year with a 60g partition at 3700, threw away the entire front half of the deer, but he DID NOT RUN!!!
The Nosler 64 gr. bonded solid base (BSB) reportedly has great terminal performance. I've not been able to get them to shoot tight groups. Only accurate bullets interest me, regardless how they perform on game.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The Nosler 64 gr. bonded solid base (BSB) reportedly has great terminal performance. I've not been able to get them to shoot tight groups. Only accurate bullets interest me, regardless how they perform on game.

DF

I've got em going 2"s in my mid-length 556 house gun with a Eotech NVC 556 sight at 100 yards DF, good enough for that I guess.

Can't see chit for detail with that sight at 100, LOL.
In a couple of fast-twist rifles, a .223 WSSM and .22/6mm Remington, the 60 Partitions average around an inch. I have also generally found faster twists help the Partition.

In my Savage Axis .22-250 (22" barrel with a 1-12 twist), the 64-grain Nosler bonded bullets averages under an inch at 3400+ fps with H414.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 09/04/16
I had zero luck with the Nosler 64 BSBs in any gun I tried them in. Really wanted them to work.
Just found out the same in a Nosler BSB for the 6.8spc. Of course Ive only got the one gun to try them in, but it wasn't having any of it.

Luck of the draw I guess.
That's really good BSB accuracy. If I could get that knda performance it could become my go to bullet for hogs and such.

Like ingwe, it just hasn't happened for me, even in fast twist barrels.

And out of a Salvage...

Go figure.

DF
The Axis shoots even better with the 40-grain Cutting Edge Raptor at 4300+, which really kills stuff too!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In a couple of fast-twist rifles, a .223 WSSM and .22/6mm Remington, the 60 Partitions average around an inch. I have also generally found faster twists help the Partition.

In my Savage Axis .22-250 (22" barrel with a 1-12 twist), the 64-grain Nosler bonded bullets averages under an inch at 3400+ fps with H414.

3400 is smoking and would be a real testament on the little bullets toughness, mine are only going 2850 fps, but are spun up pretty tight in my 7 twist AR.

Bet even 2850 would be a fine short range deer or pig load, I may relent to pressured stunt shooting. blush
Originally Posted by gunner500
, I may relent to pressured stunt shooting. blush

Well at least no one would accuse you of overcompensating then.... whistle
HEEYYYYYYY, I thought that was our little secret? blush
Not with the truck YOU drive.....
Pretty amazing, the accuracy of Cutting Edge bullets, at least the ones I've tried.

DF
Not with the truck YOU drive.....

SHEESHHH, that was my Granny's truck. cool
I rest my case.
I knew you would. grin
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Launched from a AR15, into a small Texas buck. It broke the onside humerus, and stopped in the offside hide.

[Linked Image]

When you were eating it, did anyone ask "Something taste funny to you?" ?

smile
Errr...no.

Although Savage_99 supposedly went all a-tizzy when I posted the pic of the rifle, on the deer in question. smile

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by keith

60g Nosler partition shoots 1 1/2" in a 14 twist, and they do better in a 9 or 12 twist. They really make a mess out of a deer out of a 22/250 with a 14 twist and max load of IMR 4350, win primer. These will often surprise you in how accurate they are out of a 12 twist or tighter.

I shot them out of a 12 twist Savage 12, 22-250, 34 grains of IMR-4064, kissing the lands.

3/4-1" best I remember with 3/4" being the norm. Shot quite a few deer with those including my largest bodied whitetail, somewhere in the 250+# range.

Extremely short blood trails. In fact only ever had to track 1 deer, most died within 15-25 yards while quite a few were DRT.

All deer shot were under 100 yards so velocities were still high which I feel made a difference.
Did Barnes Bullets stop making Barnes bullets?
Posted By: EdM Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 09/05/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Did Barnes Bullets stop making Barnes bullets?

Yeah, Remington makes them.
We ought to start a 70-75 grain thread!
Originally Posted by efw
Are they appreciably better than the 55?

I'd say probably not, but Wyoming requires 60 gr minimum in .224 caliber for hunting
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another 60 grain thread... - 09/14/16
If you are hand loading you can mark your ammo box however you want. Nuff said....
In water jug testing comparing the 75 grain Hornady BTHP to the 60 grain HP Hornady the latter bullet penetrates the same number of jugs ending up in the third but it barely splits the second jug. The 75 grainer on the other hand pretty much destroys the first two jugs and ends up in the third with more mass. Having used the 60 grain HP on several deer I will say that it does do enough damage to quickly kill a deer with a basic chest hit, I wouldn't want to hit a shoulder on entry with it though. I am always in the search for a bullet that does good work on feral hogs from a 223, this being the round many landowners say is all the gun they want used on their property due to safety concerns for their cows or close proximity to houses on other properties. So the balance of wanting a bullet to fully penetrate a feral hogs spine after negotiating the thick gristle of the shield and ending up under the hide on the far side as opposed to hearing the bullet go whining off into the sunset like the monometals will do is something to consider. Maybe the 75 grain bullets of the cup and core variety are the answer.
© 24hourcampfire