Home
Here in Nebraska, the definition of "antlerless" is any deer without any antlers or with antlers less than 6" long.

So, a buck isn't legally "antlered" unless he has at least one (1) antler that is 6" long.

I have eight (8) "antlerless only" tags that I'm going to try to punch and divide between family, friends, and Hunters For The Hungry.

How do the regs define antlered vs. antlerless or buck vs. doe in your state?
Here in Michigan if a Deer has Antlers 3" or longer its a Buck! or has to Be taged with a Buck tag!
Visible above the hairline
3"+ in Colorado
I believe 4" in Montana
Oregon's west side is at least one fork. East side used to be visible antler.
Idaho requires at least 1 antler of 3" or longer.
4 points on 1 side in some counties here in Missouri, or 1 antler 3" or more in a few of the urban counties.
Va is above the hairline, Wva is 3".
This is an interesting question. Some states are not reasonable.

For TX "A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin." Lived there once, and due to this definition had to tag a button buck that anyone would have shot as antlerless as a buck. You could not SEE the "hard antler" without parting the hair on the buttons, but sure enough, there were 2 tiny hard antler buttons about the size of a child's fingernail. Legally I burned a buck tag. Dumb rule.

In WY "Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible antler growth plainly protruding from the skull." They don't say from how far away or with what magnification it has to be visible. If you need to shoot antlered, you had better be sure there are some and vice versa.
In Arizona it is an antler fully erupted through the skin and capable of being shed or something along those lines.
In La. it is "at least 1 hardened antler naturally protruding through the skin".
3" protruding
breaks the skin.
Depends on what GMA you shoot him in, how young you are, whether you are disabled or a Veteran on active duty. In some situations, he may even be considered a Doe.

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/outdoors/20021124deer5.asp

One horn over 3" is a buck.

However, much of the state is adopting a rule of a shooter as an animal with having at least 3 points of at least an inch or more on one side.

-Ken

In Utah,

"A 'buck deer' is a deer with antlers that are longer
than five inches (R657-5-2(2)(e))."

"A 'bull elk' is an elk with antlers that are longer than
five inches (R657-5-2(2)(g))."

"'Buck pronghorn' means a pronghorn with horns that
are longer than five inches (R657-5-2(2)(f ))."
1" in Maryland.

But if I screw up and shoot a spike or something with only 1" horns, it gets checked as an antler-less. If I'm donating it, they tend to get in a fight with my 22 oz. claw hammer and they get broken off.

3 inches
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Same rule in NY.
In Arkansas generally a legal buck has 3 points on one side 1" long.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your definition refers more to what is legal vs not legal with an antlerless tag. 3" for deer and 6" for elk.

That being: during an antlered season/tag, any deer (or elk) with any visible antler is legal. If you're to fill a tag during an antlerless season with an antlered animal, the antler must be less than 3" long (or 6" for elk).

Basically, in Idaho a deer with antler (s) less than 3 inches long could be killed in an antlered season, and antlers season or an either sex season.

About the only place he would be safe in is a 4 point or better area.
In Kentucky it states "visiable" in the regs. Elsewhere in the youth regulations it references the 1" buck.
A legal buck in Michigan is a deer with at least one antler that measures 3 inches or more from the base of the skull. Therefore it might have only 2 1/2 inches or so protruding above the hairline.

Of course, a doe with a 3 inch antler is also considered a legal buck...and such critters do exist.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Same here.
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Same here.

Rick I got to hunt near Andelusia a few years. I see they haven't changed the regs. That certainly helps when you want to shoot does. If you can see any antler you know what you've got.

Jerry
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Correct me if I am wrong, but your definition refers more to what is legal vs not legal with an antlerless tag. 3" for deer and 6" for elk.

That being: during an antlered season/tag, any deer (or elk) with any visible antler is legal. If you're to fill a tag during an antlerless season with an antlered animal, the antler must be less than 3" long (or 6" for elk).

Basically, in Idaho a deer with antler (s) less than 3 inches long could be killed in an antlered season, and antlers season or an either sex season.

About the only place he would be safe in is a 4 point or better area.
sorry but you're incorrect. This is from the Idaho regs:

Antlered deer: Deer with at least one antler longer than
3 inches. In "antlered only" seasons, or any hunt with point
restrictions, antlers must accompany the carcass while in
transit.
Antlerless deer: Deer without antlers or with antlers
shorter than 3 inches may be taken in a season open for
antlerless deer or either sex.

Huh...that's interesting. Thanks for posting that.
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
3"+ in Colorado

Not true. 5".
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
In Texas, pedicle equals antlered.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
3"+ in Colorado

Not true. 5".
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

5" is correct
About two hours ago I shot what I thought was a doe. When I was loading it into my truck, I noticed that it had spikes that hadn't broken the skin. When I got it to the processor, he said that it was an antlerless deer in Georgia if the antlers didn't protrude one inch above the hairline. Cool--I didn't waste a buck tag.
Better make that about three hours ago.
Here in New Mexico, "The bag limit for most hunts is a fork-antlered deer (FAD), fork-antlered mule deer (FAMD) or fork-antlered white-tailed deer (FAWTD). Exceptions are Youth-Only Hunts on the Brantley and Seven Rivers and Huey WMA and those hunts in portions of Unit 32 that are antlerless (A), and Youth-Only Hunts in Units 41, 58 and 59 that are either-sex white-tailed deer (ESWTD). The antlers and attached segment of the skull must remain with a harvested deer until it has reached the location where it will be consumed or placed in cold storage."
Arizona: Antlered means having an antler fully erupted through the skin and capable of being shed, as defined in R12-4-101.

I passed lots of spikes up this year, although I did watch others harvest bucks with spikes not much longer than your little finger.
In New Mexico the buck must have a visible fork to be legal.
Originally Posted by Jaguar
This is an interesting question. Some states are not reasonable.

For TX "A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin." Lived there once, and due to this definition had to tag a button buck that anyone would have shot as antlerless as a buck. You could not SEE the "hard antler" without parting the hair on the buttons, but sure enough, there were 2 tiny hard antler buttons about the size of a child's fingernail. Legally I burned a buck tag. Dumb rule.

In WY "Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible antler growth plainly protruding from the skull." They don't say from how far away or with what magnification it has to be visible. If you need to shoot antlered, you had better be sure there are some and vice versa.

I believe a button buck is considered an antlerless deer in Texas. To be considered a buck and require a buck tag there must be at least one point, and a point is 1" long or longer.
We have no buck season or tags in Saskatchewan. We do have antlerless seasons/tags. As I understand it, any deer is considered antlerless if it is young of the year or has antlers not above the hairline.
Florida is divided up into 12 Deer Management Units.

Legal to shoot Deer is one of the following and varies by Unit:

At least two points on one side.

Three points on one side or one main beam length at least 10".
© 24hourcampfire