Home
Posted By: prm Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 03/31/17
I'm researching a couple areas and have a few (lots actually) questions for the Mule Deer experts. I realize the deer can be anywhere from the sage flats to above timberline during archery. At what point do you start to rule out the deer near timberline? Certainly a big snow could drive them down, but does the typical Oct snow drive them down? Worth even considering areas near timberline during 2nd rifle if there have been no major snows?
In units 82 and 86 I have seen a fair number of "trophy bucks" near or above timberline in mid-October... which is maybe a week before 2nd Rifle. Heavy snow would not be unusual at that time but deep snow that stays would be rare. (in those units)
Posted By: mudhen Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 03/31/17
I hunt the north slope of the Flat Tops during October for elk. Most years, it snows up at 8,500-9,500 ft where we hunt. When it snows, you can tell what animals are doing (and have done) by reading tracks. I have never seen any evidence that snows in mid-October influence mule deer or elk distribution in any significant way. Those snows are typically gone in a few days, even the knee-deep accumulations. If animals had moved down off the open top above the timberline, I have seen no evidence of it.

I am sure that there have been years in which it started snowing in mid-October and just kept on, making it necessary for those animals above timberline to move down. However, it hasn't happened in the last 20 or so years that I have been hunting that particular ranch.
those big high country bucks are up there well after the elk fall off the mountain.
Posted By: prm Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 03/31/17
Copy all, guess I can't cross out the high country.

Deer are browsers, elk are grazers. The deer can survive and do well with snow on the ground. Elk on the other hand must dig thru the now to get to the forage. They will eat some aspen and buds etc,but won't get enough to survive
Posted By: prm Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 03/31/17
But from what I've read, avoiding the Gunnison Basin and areas west and southwest in 2017 may be a good call. Anyone on the ground there that can attest to the conditions? Potentially significant license reductions??
Hugely significant license reductions in the Gunnison Basin. Nothing finalized, but they left the public meeting with something like 50% in 54 and 70% in 55 and 551. Don't know about 66 or 67. Conditions are fine now, but most of the fawn crop didn't make it after that huge early snowfall. And the does are in pretty rough shape. I think they expect some more mortality in younger adults.
Posted By: prm Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Hugely significant license reductions in the Gunnison Basin. Nothing finalized, but they left the public meeting with something like 50% in 54 and 70% in 55 and 551. Don't know about 66 or 67. Conditions are fine now, but most of the fawn crop didn't make it after that huge early snowfall. And the does are in pretty rough shape. I think they expect some more mortality in younger adults.

I heard that. Which of course impacts my application. I had a little room to spare on points, but not that much. I can happily live with them doing what's necessary for the heard. One more year of collecting points won't kill me. I put in for 2nd rifle 67 and second choice of 2nd rifle 501 (no chance...).
Posted By: prm Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 04/04/17
Looks like the following reductions for Gunnison Basin:

GMU 54 – 54%

GMU 55 – 85%

GMU 551 – 65%

GMUs 66, 67 -- low to mid 60%s
That's not good news. Folks who were considering the 3rd or 4th hunts in those units (which were high-demand as it is) will now be looking to burn their points elsewhere. That will drive the point creep even higher. frown
Posted By: prm Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 04/04/17
I had a little to spare. I hope to still make the cut. It will be close though.
Posted By: atse Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Mulies - 04/06/17
I think you are going to see significant winter kill in Idaho Wyoming, and Utah as well, and fewer tags because of it.
© 24hourcampfire