Home
Posted By: northcountry Oregon Draws - 06/22/17
My hunting buddy and I in 11 chances never got squat, zip, Nada, nothing, guess we have to go hunting coyotes. Cheers NC
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Oregon Draws - 06/24/17
Ouch! Sorry to hear that NC.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Oregon Draws - 07/02/17
I drew deer with 0 points and Elk with 0 points. deer for the 7th year in a row.
Posted By: northcountry Re: Oregon Draws - 07/02/17
baltz Have you considered buying a lottery ticket. Cheers NC
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Oregon Draws - 07/02/17
I just pick the correct tags to draw. Having hunted the units with hard to draw tags. I know that the tags in easy to draw units have the potential to produce good bucks. I do not get to hunt the high juniper, But I get to hunt every year in the unit where the best bucks live during season. Hunt every 5-6 years in a unit with a 25% chance of killing a nice buck or hunt every year in units with a 15% chance of a good buck. While some guys build points waiting to hunt, I have been eating venison. 1 nice buck and 2 meat bucks in the last 6 years. 2 years I passed on deer early to eat tag soup. 1 year I hunted a true monster all season. My priority is to hunt. Not wait to hunt. Plus I have a bear and Cougar tag, So if I cut fresh sign I can jump on it.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Oregon Draws - 07/03/17
baltz526,

Good argument for the deer hunter rather than the trophy hunter.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Oregon Draws - 07/03/17
I drew Applegate ML deer for the 2nd year in a row. Last year I was a shoe-in on preference points, this year I drew from the 25% pool, a 12% chance. One year I was one of 3 people who had enough points to draw a tag in a hunt but didn't .. and 600 or so other people did. That's my typical luck, so I'm pretty happy with this year's tag. I bought a used .45 cal TC Seneca a couple years ago. I killed last year's buck with it with a 245 grain home-cast conical I pan lubed. I am thinking about a 127 grain PRB this year. Puts it roughly in the single shot .357 magnum rifle category.

Tom
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Oregon Draws - 07/03/17
I quit applying for Oregon tags decades ago. All I want to hunt I can do OTC in areas I like to hunt. Just thinking about applying for tags and ODFW reminds me of that response ODFW got from that couple about wanting access to their land. Haha.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Oregon Draws - 07/04/17
For me the area is covered by OTC tags but the time is not. I like it enough to make it worth jumping through a few hoops. If I were to adopt your view it would amount to cutting off my nose to spite my face: not an empty victory, but an empty defeat. But, of course, you gotta do what you gotta do for your reasons, and likewise, I gotta do what I gotta do for mine.

Tom
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Oregon Draws - 07/04/17
Originally Posted by T_O_M
For me the area is covered by OTC tags but the time is not. I like it enough to make it worth jumping through a few hoops. If I were to adopt your view it would amount to cutting off my nose to spite my face: not an empty victory, but an empty defeat. But, of course, you gotta do what you gotta do for your reasons, and likewise, I gotta do what I gotta do for mine.

Tom

Yeah, I get it. that's one sweet tag you got. I've been on that one a few times guiding buddies.
© 24hourcampfire