Home
Posted By: tallslowguy How much boot insulation? - 08/19/17
I'm researching new boots for deer hunting (mostly in PA and WV). I spend many days in a treestand, but change it up some days and still hunt during slow periods. I do use Arctic Shield booties over my boots when it is really cold. That said, without carrying an extra pair of boots into the woods, how much insulation should I seek in a pair of boots? I've considered the Lowa Tibet, Danner Pronghorn, UA Brow Tines and Irish Setter Vaprtreks so far and would like to stay in the $350 or less price range.

I welcome any suggestions.
Posted By: SKane Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/19/17
Is this a full-season-type boot (early archery thru early winter)? Seems like the versions you've named are all sans insulation.
Is hunting in snow generally part of your season?
They would be mostly for winter as I used a lightweight uninsulated boot for archery and small game seasons. I was considering the 1200 gram versions of the Under Armour, Danner and Irish Setters (darned if I can find a reference to the amount of insulation in the Lowas). Hope this clarifies.
Posted By: SKane Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/19/17
Yep, that helps.
Well, I was going to recommend the Cabela's (Meindl) Winter 800 boot but after a quick perusal of the Cabela's site, it appears they're no longer offered.

The UA Brow Tine 2.0 is an interesting boot but I have no experience with it. Big help, eh? laugh

Obviously the more insulation, the bulkier the boot. How much you're going to be still hunting vs. stand sitting will make a difference.
Beside the Canada boot mentioned above, I use the Meindl Perfekt 400gr with an extra sock and that generally will get me by and is great for both without the bulk (still hunting/stand sitting) - especially with boot blankets as a possible accompaniment if it's really cold.
I never found a straight insulated boot that worked for me. A good pair of Sorrels with 3/8" felt packs was about the best. Now I don't worry as much .I use chemical toe warmers and in real cold weather, I buy the full insole foot warmer .About $10 a pack
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/19/17
The over the boot warmers are what I use. Walk to the stand in lighter weight boots then put the insulators on when you get up in the tree. Two problems, one solution.
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
The over the boot warmers are what I use. Walk to the stand in lighter weight boots then put the insulators on when you get up in the tree. Two problems, one solution.

Good advice here if your trying to get by with only 1 pair of hunting boots, i cant imagine owning only 1 pair as I have 8 or 10 pairs of hunting boots......Hb
Posted By: Dale K Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
Not sure where you are in SW Pa. but as a reference, I hunt both Somerset and Clearfield counties. If I plan on moving fairly often during the day, 200 gram or 400 gram boots work just fine for me. If I'm going to sit longer, I have a pair of 600 gram boots that work for me. I wear wool socks with them. I got in a late afternoon flintlock hunt this past season, sat for about 2 hrs in 10 degrees with snow on the ground and my feet were just fine. One pair of boots is from Cabelas, one from Gander Mtn, and one pair are Red Wings. That said, I am not an all day stand hunter, after 2-3 hours in one place, I have to move and see what's on the other side of the ridge. And I don't do tree stands.

FWIW,

Dale
Posted By: basdjs Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
I wear 1000 g Lacrosse Alpha Burly's with a poly sock liner and merino wool socks that are thin enough to give me some wiggle room for my toes. Wicking moisture away from your feet to keep them as dry as possible is really important.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
I got some American-made 800 gram Danner East Ridges in 2015 and haven't had cold feet since, even all day on stand in the teens. They're pretty fluffy around my foot and ankle which cushions against side impacts. Not too heavy when walking, either. About $230 on Amazon, depending on size.

Make sure you get them big enough for good socks. I bought my regular size and had to send them back for a size up.
Posted By: old70 Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
I use the older military cold weather boots Uncle Sam was kind enough to give me two pairs of in the BDU days. Not the Mickey Mouse boots, but the matterhorns. They are thinsulate lined, but I'm not sure how much. I think 800. I wear one layer of smart wool or merino socks inside them. They serve well for walking around, and if I need to sit when it's really cold, I carry boot blankets in my pack. Rarely have to use them. My hunting temps range from high teens to high 30s.

Old70
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
400 gram boots works just fine for me.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
2nd the Meindl Perfect Hunters. They became my go to boots when I lived in AK, then again while I lived in Northern Pa. I wear thin wool "hiking" socks in the early season or when I know I will be on the move (bear season, late season small game). I use a heavier sock for all day rut sits, etc. I tried the perfect hiker's by meindl, they're good, but will be going back to the hunter when the hikers wear out. The hunters are 400 gram, the hikers are uninsulated. Not much difference in bulk, the hunter has better ankle support.

Ive tried Danners, Red wings, Irish Setters, etc. etc. From Sheep to Goat, to whitetail, pheasant the meindl hunter covers it pretty well.
Posted By: ribka Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/20/17
I have many pairs from early season trail shoes to late season tree stand pack boots and boot blankets

The perfkthunter boot is pretty versatile
I have 2 pairs of Danner Pronghorns. 1,000 gram and 400 gram Thinsulate, both with Gore-Tex. My feet sweat in the 1,000 gram boots and then get cold. I've found the 400 gram to be just about right for a combination of sitting and still hunting in cold weather. Everybody is different though.
I have irish setters,with 1400 gram insulation for stand hunting,and danner pronghorns for warmer weather.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/21/17
Irish Setter elk hunters are great boots when it's cold. They might fit your needs, plus they can be rebuilt.
Posted By: Teal Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/21/17
I generally wear the same pair of Lacrosse Icemans. Stand and walking around the UP. Opening day might be 45 degrees or it could be -10. It does swing a bit.

What I've found the best for me is to really loosen my laces once I'm sitting. My feet stay much much warmer. Probably because my blood can circulate freely.
Posted By: bea175 Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/21/17
I can't stand more than 400 even in the 30's
I love my insulated Lacrosse Alphaburly's I've walked for miles around UP swamps and can sit in a treestand in most weather without getting cold feet. They're by far the most comfortable rubber boots that I've worn. I think they have 1200 grams insulation but can't remember off the top of my head.
I hunt IN & KY where weather is almost never really frigid. Presently I am using a pair of uninsulated Timberland hiking boots, I wear merino wool socks, light weight for early season and heavier weight for late season. I add chemical heat pacs with the lighter socks and full length
insole heat pacs with the heavier socks.
Posted By: Tejano Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/24/17
Like others have said too much insulation is counter productive. For a fair amount of walking 200-400 is good to keep down sweat. In a stand I wear 1,000 gram Danner Elk hunters if it is below about 30 degrees. But if I walk much the sweaty feet undo any advantage of the heavier insulation. The boots are not good for rough terrain as they are too bulky and your feet swim in the extra insulation. They are not bad on trails or solid ground just loose rock. With boot blankets and chemical warmers you could wear just about anything to the stand. With these it might be better to take the boots off entirely. I have done this and then worn down booties inside of boot blankets and I am toasty warm to single digit temperatures. If really cold leave an extra set of warmers in the boots so they don't freeze.

A change of socks can do wonders either when I get to the stand or mid day. My current favorites are Alpaca socks super comfortable and warm. Liners help a lot to and using unscented talcum powder reduces sweating and blisters and it is the best thing for checking the wind while stalking so worth carrying.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/25/17
I used to get cold feet. When i figured out the key was to keep my bodies core warm I stopped getting cold feet. I have some 200 gram insulated boots but rarely wear them. I've hunted in the 20's and teens with uninsulated hiking boots. The only time I find insulation helpful is when duck hunting while standing in cold water or in deep snow that draws heat from my feet. The insulation causes sweat which sucks heat from your feet. I just wear good wool socks and often change to dry ones once I reach my stand. Even with uninsulated boots your feet will sweat some while walking even short distances.

If your core starts getting cold your body naturally reduces blood flow to your feet and hands in order to try to warm your brain and core. No amount of insulation in the world will prevent this. If your core is too warm your body naturally sends extra blood to your feet and hands to cool you down. That is why your feet sweat. If your core is comfortable your feet will be comfortable as long as you keep them dry.

A warmer head covering and jacket will do more to keep your feet warm. Eating snacks such as energy or protein bars ramps up metabolism while sitting in a stand to warm you also. Snickers bars work great too. One bite every 10-15 minutes makes a big difference. Isometric exercises require no movement but will generate body heat.
Posted By: Zerk Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/25/17
You got some guys who claim slippers are enough for them. Maybe. But I hunt, and work outside. I like insulated boots. Like I said, I work outside, not just a couple days year hobby. Granted safety toes are problem, even with composite. Then again 30s is coming up in a couple weeks, September and October. Frost warning last night.

I've been wanting to try mickey mouse boots or bunny, for stand hunting.
Posted By: kingston Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/25/17
I prefer crapping in the porta johns, to crapping in corporate offices, wearing a polo shirt. Choice I made a while ago. Don't worry, I get paid alot of money to crap in outhouses. I just don't like being indoors, as much as some folks do.

If you are trying to insult me, you got it backwards. I put all my polo shirts and dockers in rubbermaid containers in the basement. feel sorry for you guys in the petting zoo.
Posted By: kingston Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/25/17
The point is there's something for everyone. You're a perfect example. While I wouldn't call being on the port-a-jon gloryhole gang working outside, I don't doubt it pays well. It also doesn't require basic English composition, algebra, critical thinking or self respect.
Working behind a desk, in a cubicle isn't for everyone either. I tried it, hope I don't have to do it again. Not sure why you think because you don't work in an office you wouldn't need those critical skills at work.
As for grams. My 1000g Pronghorns, don't seem warm enough to sit. My 1000 timberlands seem warmer, though not as much the 2nd year. While I like the new style boots without a liner. For real cold weather, I tend to think an old style pack boot is the way to go. Though it depends if sitting or active.
Posted By: semi Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/30/17
even thou 400 gr may be warm and work for someone doesn't mean it will work for you. It really depends on the weather, and if you tend to get cold or not. For me hunting in Wisc, I won't buy anything less than 1000 gr. And even then i can get cold. I have worn pack boots (snowmobile boots) and still get cold feet when sitting in my stand. But here are the things i have done to keep my feet warm;

1. 1000 or 1200 gram waterproof breathable boot
2. i put a foam mat on the ground in my stand to keep the cold or snow off the bottom of my boot, much like people do ice fishing.
3. i insulate my core with a down vest (this really helps, warm core keeps your extremities warmer) and can be removed if i go on a drive
4. Merino wool socks to keep your feet dry. (alot of people get cold feet from moisture and not from the boot not being insulated enough)
5. Chemical toe warmers for those really cold days

hope this helps. I may even try a heated vest this year from Milwaukee Tool. Heard really good things about them keeping your core warmer.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: How much boot insulation? - 08/30/17
Originally Posted by Zerk
I've been wanting to try mickey mouse boots or bunny, for stand hunting.

You'll probably be disappointed in them. I used them in the Arctic for three years, they are great for moving around, but they get cold if you sit still.

Soldiers standing guard had to keep shifting their feet to stay warm, we had to rotate through the guard mounts and check for cold weather injuries from standing/sitting too long.

JMLE.
If I'm moving, none. If I'm sitting still, all of it.

Boot covers or super thick mucks are my ticket for frozen stands, and even toe warmers. Doesn't matter if my core is warm. My feet are cold. I don't really feel it to a point. After some past life snow living experiences, my feet often stay cold and I don't notice it. Once I do notice it, it's probably at a dangerous level.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: How much boot insulation? - 09/11/17
I like these with no insulation
http://www.danner.com/pronghorn-8-realtree-xtra-green.html

I like these for insulated
http://www.danner.com/high-ground-8-mossy-oak-break-up-country-400g.html
Posted By: Windfall Re: How much boot insulation? - 09/12/17
I'll second that Danner recommendation. They are kind of a chore to break in, but I haven't found one that I like better than their 8" Grouse uninsulated with the Gore-Tex in their Classic Hunter series. That sole alone is worth the price over the Pronghorn series. Boot Blankets over those carried in my pack make a nice combination. The LaCrosse Alpha Lite 3.5 almost cost me the deer season from two big blisters. For wet and cold I do like the Muck Arctic Pro boot with a thin felt liner in the bottom. For just plain cold if you don't need to walk very far I've found that it is hard to beat a Caribou Sorel with a Smartwool sock. Just get them big enough for wiggle room. Those original Arctic Pro boots went back to Cabela's for one size larger.
Posted By: Lrdchaos Re: How much boot insulation? - 09/17/17
I normally choose 800grams of insulation. My feet get cold, when that happens I get miserable.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: How much boot insulation? - 09/24/17
I use 400 gram boots with wool liners and wool socks to however cold it gets here sometimes I hunt between zero and 10 degrees. This sounds smart ass but wearing a warmer hat and keeping your head and neck warm does help with your feet and hands.
© 24hourcampfire