Home
Posted By: Ebby Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
I just got back from a hunt with Diamond T outfitters in Northwest Alberta. Flew into Grand Prairie and then went north and west of there. Had a great week and saw some great deer but the hunting was actually a little slow for the first several days. We had a big rain event move in for 2 full days with about 4.5-5" of rain over 48 hours and the deer seemed to change their patterns after the rain. It was early season and they had been pretty consistent on feeding patterns prior to the rain but everything seemed to change after that. Finally was able to find a good deer and get in close to him. Fun hunt with a stalk to about 40 yards. I also had a chance at an elk but I screwed it up. They have some great moose hunting as well although their Canada Moose aren't huge in that area. I did not hunt Moose. Wonderful people and well recommended if you are looking for big Mule Deer or Whitetail.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
Holy smokes, what a mulie! Width? Score? A big congrats!
Posted By: Ebby Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
Thanks! I was pleased for sure.

27.5" wide, about 180" or so
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
What a stud Ebby. Congrats on a fantastic buck.

We gotta know about the rifle, scope, bullets, etc.
Posted By: JDK Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
Great mule deer. Congratulations.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
beauty
Posted By: Ebby Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
JG, this deer was in a Bow/Shotgun area. I had taken my bow for that reason but the slow hunt didn't cooperate with that. I also took my rifle but didn't end up using it. This was Day 6 so I switched to the shotgun to get it done. Old rusty Rem 870 with some Hornady FTX slugs. Shot ended up being about 60-65 yards after he got up and fed away from me. I had crawled to about 40 but couldn't see enough of his body because of the terrain. I had to let him feed out a little and then I stood to get a good enough view. Quartering away. Went in near the last ribs and came out behind the offside shoulder. Wobbled about 50 yards and tipped backwards. Fun times. I crawled him for about an hour and then sat on him for another hour or so before he stood up. Had good cover and wind to get it done. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
Heck of a buck!! They sure seem to grow some good ones up there -congrats on taking a fine trophy!!
Posted By: SKane Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
I was hoping we were going to see this soon - man, what a great buck!

Well done. Congrats!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/09/17
That is a nice buck. Was that your first muley with a shotgun?
Posted By: davidlea Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Damn, just a gagger! Big congrats, just shows that even when you're hobbled you can get it done. Good going Lee!
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
What a beauty! Congrats!
Posted By: Judman Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Wow nice work dude!!! Alberta is a very cool place!!!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Wow! Congrats! What a beautiful deer!
Posted By: powdr Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Ebby, why use your shotgun instead of your rifle? powdr
Posted By: Ebby Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Roundoak, that was my 2nd mule deer ever and yes my first with a shotgun. Might be my last with a shotgun too!

Powdr, this buck was in a designated bow/shotgun zone in Alberta so I couldn't use my rifle.

Lee
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Originally Posted by Ebby
Thanks! I was pleased for sure.

27.5" wide, about 180" or so

Was this deer actually measured? It sure appears that it would score much closer to 200 than 180.Gross score anyways.

Regardless, congratulations on a fantastic mule deer!
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Nothing like stalking in close for a shot. So many things can go wrong and end it all in a flash.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Great Mulie!
Kudo's for the stalk in that close. That's impressive to get that close without getting busted.
Any idea what he weighed?
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Great buck Lee. Congrats!
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Jiminy Cricket, what a deer!

RS
Posted By: pointer Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/10/17
Very good buck! Doing it with a slugger is so cool.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/11/17
Live weight was prob around 350lbs. Big bodied deer.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/11/17
Great buck! That fella looks like he was a beast!
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/11/17
Smoker buck.
Posted By: GregW Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/11/17
Great buck - looks better than 180" to me...

Great job..
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/11/17
That's a nice buck! Why do they even have bow/slug zones anyway?
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by Ebby
JG, this deer was in a Bow/Shotgun area. I had taken my bow for that reason but the slow hunt didn't cooperate with that. I also took my rifle but didn't end up using it. This was Day 6 so I switched to the shotgun to get it done. Old rusty Rem 870 with some Hornady FTX slugs. Shot ended up being about 60-65 yards after he got up and fed away from me. I had crawled to about 40 but couldn't see enough of his body because of the terrain. I had to let him feed out a little and then I stood to get a good enough view. Quartering away. Went in near the last ribs and came out behind the offside shoulder. Wobbled about 50 yards and tipped backwards. Fun times. I crawled him for about an hour and then sat on him for another hour or so before he stood up. Had good cover and wind to get it done. Thanks guys.

What an exciting hunt, and what a good looking buck!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Alberta Mule Deer - 10/19/17
Mercy, that is a dandy mule deer!!! And with a shotgun.... Congrats!!
© 24hourcampfire