Home
From an email I received yesterday from DNR:

Important corrections to Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide

Indiana deer and waterfowl hunters need to be aware of two important changes in the print version of the 2017-2018 Hunting & Trapping Guide.

Due to recent legislation passed this year by the Indiana General Assembly, hunters can no longer use rifles when hunting deer on public land. “Public land” includes both state and federal property. Before the change, the use of rifles on public land had been legal.

It remains legal to use a muzzleloader, shotgun or handgun when hunting deer on public land in accordance with deer hunting regulations.
Best find a used Savage
Yeah got my email a few days ago too.

Kinda ticks me off, now I mostly hunt private land so as far as rifles I'm good.
But.....I sometimes like to go romp around public land for a doe as I don't like killing too many does from one farm.
Also I like to hunt the state park draws and military/refuge hunts.....now I can't use my 358 wssm.
Stupid oversite apparently, I think we'll be back in the game for 2018.

Well it gives me an excuse to see if I can shoot a deer with my sbe3, kinda looking forward to that.
You should have your DNR guys call the Wisconsin DNR guys because a couple years back we changed from shotgun only areas to rifles state wide when they looked at the statistics and found that there were MORE hunting accidents with shotguns than there were with rifles.
It was an oversight.
That'll be back on for 2018.
Yeah, they're calling it an oversight.
Wasn't.
The law was specific enough.
New director of DNR law enforcement appointed yesterday.
Legislator punching himself gives the new guy a fresh start.

HP rifle was passed last yr without DNR approval. Butt hurt must linger.

HP rifle passed because it had limits. One being it was for a 5 yr study period.........2016-2020.

The DNR interpretation in question is specific to the 2016-2020 hunting season.
Which explicitly frames HP rifle allowance.

PCR was NEVER mentioned in that season, never incorporated into it under new language, or offered for trade or debate during HP rifle law evolution,
PCR was legal on public and private, since 2008?

SECTION 7. IC 14-22-2-8, AS ADDED BY P.L.110-2016,
SECTION 1, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
JULY 1, 2017]: Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season
beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.

(b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer
subject to the following:
(1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
Anybody with half a brain knows that the new law was talking about HP rifle only, not PCR.
I'm glad I don't hunt public land and have to put up with our terrific legislators.

One would think that Rep. Jim Lucas would be able to introduce legislation to fix this next year. I'll have to call him....
Sounds like a sheithole.
State voted Red. So not a total sheitehole.
I hunt private land mostly, have used PCR (no straight wall case mandate- so that proly makes this area less of a sheitehole too).
Lots of industry (used to be). So decent jobs for a lot of folks. Some decent gun shops back in the day. A few good ones left.
Not everybody here is a Fudd.
The author of the law being misinterpreted by the DNR has publicly stated they were never talking about PCR.
After the DNR posted their crap, the publishers of the Hunting Guide said they may be in error, please see the DNR.
So the legislature just has to declare the DNR view wrong, and the Hunting Guide already printed and out everywhere...........becomes correct.
The rules then same as last yr with regard to PCR.

Finding out who in the DNR pulled this stunt, holding them accountable, and making sure this crap doesn't happen again.............might take longer.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like a sheithole.

Funny, I was just thinking that about a place were people can't even pump their own gas and pot farms abound.
What's a PCR?
308 AR10 WITH 15" BBL AND SIG BRACE.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
What's a PCR?

Pistol Cartridge Rifle.

A rifle that fires a pistol cartridge.
Hmmmm, I thought it was pistol caliber rifle.

And the intent within that, revolver type cartridges (power/range).

Some states mandate straight wall cases, but IN doesn't.

So we have more choices smile

Not sure the development of the PCR term..........

maybe came from pistol caliber carbines?

On page 23 of the 2017-2018 INDIANA HUNTING & TRAPPING GUIDE it states that the PCR's are still legal on private AND public land. What changed??
Nevermind....I misread the OP. I swear, this damn state is doing it's best to become a Illanoya clone!!
I have a 357 max for that....but nobody whereall I hunt cares. LOL
The rifle as being more dangerous is nothing but foolish. As a matter of fact, the faster you change to rifle the less people will die. Yes, less people have been accidentally shot from a distance and riccoche bullets when rifles started being used. Shotguns are more dangerous than rifles. In WIsconisn , injuries went down the year most everyone went to rifles. Shotguns are seldom used anymore. If it is good for Wisconsin it's good for Indiana.
Originally Posted by ihookem
The rifle as being more dangerous is nothing but foolish. As a matter of fact, the faster you change to rifle the less people will die. Yes, less people have been accidentally shot from a distance and riccoche bullets when rifles started being used. Shotguns are more dangerous than rifles. In WIsconisn , injuries went down the year most everyone went to rifles. Shotguns are seldom used anymore. If it is good for Wisconsin it's good for Indiana.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission did a study that proved rifles were safer than shotguns.
There’s been MANY studies proving rifles are safer than shotguns but Indiana is run by stupid people with stupid agendas.
At least we can use suppressors....
Oh yeah!!
👍🏼
Update!!

We can use our previous .357 and up rifles on Indianas public land again.

http://indiana105.com/region-news/dnr-emergency-rule-for-2017-deer-firearms-hunting-season/
Game on!
Might I suggest like windfall and ihookem stated that you work feverishly at getting those rules changed to any firearm statewide. The conservation wardens in Wisconsin hated those rules also and we enlisted their help in getting that changed, along with our Conservation Congress and by talikng to congress critters in our state.

There are standard talking points you can use to convince" the powers that be" that including rifles statewide is the prudent thing to do. I think I have those around here somewhere if you are interested. Otherwise you can sit on the bench and complain about it.
I believe it will happen.
I have no doubt.
Might take a few years though.
Exactly why the rule lasts until 2020. It’s a study period. If rifles during the firearms season prove to be as safe as other firearms, they will open it up permanently....
Would not surprise me to see HP rifle legal for private ground only after the test period.
Would not surprise me to see public land stay with PCR, SG, HG and MZ.
FWIW I was content w PCR on private.
Trimmed .35 rem is pretty sweet.
Yep, exactly why I’m not rebarrelling my 358 Hoosier...
By far the most gun accidental deaths aren't from shooting at game but from what they call 'cleaning'. It's impossible to shoot someone while cleaning a gun because the action has to be open for that but rather the shootings are from gross mishandling of the guns, usually while trying to uncock one by dry firing it.
The DNR got this one right. Maybe not the most timely, but I'll take it.
© 24hourcampfire