Home
Posted By: mngunhead Let's see your box blind. - 12/15/17
I'm looking to build a box blind to keep from freezing my tail off in the great north woods. I need some inspiration. I would love to see pictures of what some of you cold weather hunters use to hunt and stay comfortable in.
I thought people went outside to be outside smile.
I am involved in a gravity box blind right now......it is awesome. I do not know how to post photos.

Sits about 8 feet high maybe more, can pull it around with truck or tractor. Like sitting in an aquarium viewing room. Deer walking right past it.

Has a nu wave 20,000 but heater, silent, very little light. Boils water chimney. Room to sleep in.

Dancing in the moonlight.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/16/17
Buy a folding melon container like grocery stores put watermelons in.
Heavy plastic jobs build like a brick chit house.
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/16/17
I've got to see this!
Posted By: shaman Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/16/17
Here is the Jagendehutte:

Jagendehutte

[Linked Image]

It is made from a packing crate, skid runners and some leftover siding. Built it in 2003. We renovated it in 2017 with a new roof.
Rennovations 2017

Midway is my luxury box.

[Linked Image]

S-10 is a good producer
[Linked Image]

Our newest is LazyBoy:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/16/17
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/16/17
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like a stand 4x4, tight for two people but I’m always by myself
On our property south of Rule, Texas.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/16/17

[Linked Image]
We are almost neighbors, Butch. Your just down the road from our Ranch in the Old Glory area.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Tell me that when it's 35 degrees and raining sideways buddy.
No box. Sorry. Out here,
We improvise.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Oh, now we're talking the entirety of deer hunting in SE Alaska.......
Try a high of 6 degrees.

12 to 20 mph wind

Two feet of snow.
Posted By: SKane Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/17/17
Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]

Wayne, is that a WI "dual-purpose" blind? smile
At 81 years old I can't take the cold like I use to so... Shanty on a trailer with a gas heater

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/17/17
Yes, it comes equipped with toilet paper, reading material and scent blocker.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/17/17
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
At 81 years old I can't take the cold like I use to so... Shanty on a trailer with a gas heater

[Linked Image]

That is pretty nifty.

If I were to build one I would modify the shape to imitate a round bale of hay.
That is freaking awesomeness!
Longhunter1,

I LIKE.

I'm planning at 71YY & with a new YL (who wants to go hunting with me) to build something similar on an old boat trailer chassis that I was given to "get it out of my yard".

yours, tex
Posted By: 44mc Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/17/17
longhunter you have the best toys with you flinters ancaplocks 1895s an leaverguns i love your post an pics keep on posten for me please thank you for being a real montianman spelled wrong two menny beers to nite

Yeah, scary stuff.
I'm sure some say I'm a pu**y for wanting to build a blind. The last time I hunted up there it was -30 when we headed out for the day and I thought I was going to die. If I had a blind, I would be able to survive and still get out hunting. Don't get me wrong, I am a pu**y, but I still want to hunt. Do I get any points for that?
Merry Christmas 44 mc
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/17/17
Angus let me know what I got to do to get you to post pics of your gravity box blind.

I'm assuming you're starting with something like this.

[Linked Image]
Pm me an email and I will send them to you.
I like this one

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
We are almost neighbors, Butch. Your just down the road from our Ranch in the Old Glory area.

If you go south out of Rule to FM458 I believe, turn west until the road stops at the unofficial city dump. Go through the fence on a dirt trail called FM451, You will then be on our property and it ends on the Double Fork of the Brazos. We have just a few acres across the river also, but it is small and we are not able to get to it.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like this one

[Linked Image]

That is freakin' awesome!

I still chuckle everytime I read your sig line!
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

If you go south out of Rule to FM458 I believe, turn west until the road stops at the unofficial city dump. Go through the fence on a dirt trail called FM451, You will then be on our property and it ends on the Double Fork of the Brazos. We have just a few acres across the river also, but it is small and we are not able to get to it.

Great hunting area for deer & tons of hogs. We are about 11 miles SW of y'all, as the crow flies, on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos.
We also have a Ranch about 5 miles east of y'all in Haskell County. That one has been in our family since the 1880's
Posted By: rost495 Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/18/17
A bit off topic here, but sometimes the attitudes are tough.

We have/hunt all ways.

Since Carolyn and Tiger often hunt with me and we are supposed to stay in a blind, we have a decent hexagon on 4 foot walls. All 3 have chairs as Tiger likes to watch the deer.

I also hunt with tiger just walk out and sit down against a tree and he will sit with me. I don't care to be out exposed to rain with my gear if I don't have to be. I do it when I have to but if there is a choice its just easier all around.

Then some days I sit in the brush or tripod or ladder with a pistol and Carolyn and Tiger watch from a blind somewhere 100 yards or so away.

Really can't say it bothers me to do it any of the ways. I don't still hunt with Tiger though.
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/18/17
PMed Angus.
Sent photos Merry Christmas!
Hanco's ground blind pic looks like the end of my street, where it deadends into a creek bottom...mixed hardwood and tallll pines make walking thru the woods tough to do in straight line...then add bamboo thickets that 30-40' high that even deer can't walk thru.
Ron
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/20/17
Angus1895 Gravity Box Blind

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/20/17
You can’t beat a blind with glass windows and a heater!! I might be a sissy, but I’m a warm sissy.
Originally Posted by kingston
Angus let me know what I got to do to get you to post pics of your gravity box blind.

I'm assuming you're starting with something like this.

[Linked Image]

turn that thing over and build some walls under it.
i built and hunted out of this for 10yrs or so on the farm next to me.tires kept going flat on it first few seasons so i drilled holes in them and shot 2 cans of greatstuff foam in them,problem solved.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
did a few just for ground blinds to.

[Linked Image]
Them are bad ass!
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/21/17
Are those made out of pak tanks?

yep,cut the top off of one at shooting height,screw 4 2x4 inside sticking up to ceiling height screw the top back on,fill in with plastic from another tank,add windows and a door.they are fairly light weight and easy to move.
Where does one get Pak tanks?
Posted By: pointer Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/21/17
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Local Craigslist has bunches of them, but I'm not in Idaho...
Posted By: horse1 Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/22/17
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

Wayne, is that a WI "dual-purpose" blind? smile

It's a "Poop-n-Shoot." 1-800-257-1234. $19.95 + shipping, processing, and handling. Hole sold separately.

we have lots of factories that have them. ink plant,food plant. a friend used to bring them to me free by the trailer load.

the one on the trailer i used 3 tanks and cut it down the middle to make it wider for 2 people. they very easy to work with.big plus is they never rot.
Posted By: battue Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/22/17
Been there for 20 some years and the Deer think it is just normal. We call it the death trap. Although it is best to dress warm.

Sometimes you here rumblings underneath in the winter. Something is using it for shelter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one wondered too close one late evening.

[Linked Image]
I bought a cheap blind from Sportsman's Guide. I set it in my woods and never got a shot or seen a deer from it. Then a huge buck tore a cedar tree to shreds 10' from it at night. Tree is a good 12" diameter.
I sat my stand at a neighbors and seen at least 30 squirrels so went back for some and did not see any at all. Got a .22 and no squirrels but you will see deer.
horse1,

ROTFLMRAO.
(Fwiw, you must be from "pore folks", as in my area the "well to do" have TWO-holers & at least 3 cars jacked-up in the yard.)

yours, tex
To All,

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "pak tank"?? - I tried googleing that term & got PAGES of references to Pakistani Army main battle tanks.

yours, tex
a plastic tank that comes in a cage. can be used to hold anything liquid .factories use them and sometimes sell them or give them away when empty. they come on a metal pallet so they can be moved with a fork lift.they are usually about 250-300gallon.
Yes, it comes equipped with toilet paper, reading material and scent blocker.

Deer prolly wonder where the "someone schitt a pine tree" smell is coming from?
I hunted out of a camp that had several box blinds built on plastic pallets for shipping engines. Each had a cable at one end to drag them with an ATV if the deer changed travel habits. The shacks were made of old lumber and old metal roofing.
srwshooter,

Sounds like something that I'd like to find a few of. = I wonder if they're strong enough to use to support a boat dock and/or to float a cabin on the river???
(GOOD/heavy duty 55 gallon plastic drums have gotten "downright expensive" for as many as I need.)

yours, tex
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/22/17
Originally Posted by battue
Been there for 20 some years and the Deer think it is just normal. We call it the death trap. Although it is best to dress warm.

Sometimes you here rumblings underneath in the winter. Something is using it for shelter.

[Linked Image]

haha

Looks like that buck is trying to see what is sheltering underneath your blind for you!
Posted By: RedSnake Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
I added acoustic foam and a padded folding shooting bench

[Linked Image]
Posted By: horse1 Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
Originally Posted by satx78247
horse1,

ROTFLMRAO.
(Fwiw, you must be from "pore folks", as in my area the "well to do" have TWO-holers & at least 3 cars jacked-up in the yard.)

yours, tex

Just an inside joke and a chuckle from my youth.

Inside joke regarding the Poop-n-Shoot: 20+ yrs ago, a buddy spies a bunch of ports-potties sitting outside during the winter and muses that by merely adding windows you'd have a mighty nice dual-purpose hunting blind. We get a good laugh, and of course this gets embellished and options added over time. Adding Whiskey, beer, rum or tequila to the Poop-n-Shoot brainstorming sessions makes for the stuff of legends. I can't remember most of it, but I'm sure it's legendary. We've gotten on with life, moved on, only rarely ever mention the Poop-N-Shoot anymore. Within the last few seasons however, some of the plastic blinds that look like they could be made by Tupperware or Rubbermaid have begun showing up and the Poop-N-Shoot rhetoric has begun anew.

The chuckle from my youth is that pre-dedicated shopping channels on TV, stuff was advertised for sale during TV commercials. Stuff that wasn't available in stores was all available by calling the same phone number. 1-800-257-1234, and EVERYTHING cost $19.95 + Shipping and Handling. Ginsu knives, compilation record albums, etc, etc, etc, you name it, they had it, 1 phone number, 1 price + Shipping and Handling. And of course there was always the quickly mentioned, "XX not included".

So, I mushed together the Poop-N-Shoot and 1-800-257-1234 memories in hopes of giving other folks a chuckle too.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
I'd suggest one go to our north central ice fishermen. They can get way past elaborate with their furnishings.
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd suggest one go to our north central ice fishermen. They can get way past elaborate with their furnishings.

True but to be fair one only spends 6-8 hours in a blind. I'll spend 3-4 days at a time in my fish house. It's a small cabin I can move to where the fish are.
[Linked Image]
the stump blind

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17

I donno. I always thought that was part of the game. I hunt to be outside. If I hunt from a blind, it’s one I built from materials laying on the ground. When the rain comes, I put on my rain coat if it’s with me. I’ve shot at least 75% of the better bucks I’ve shot in the rain.
Posted By: tzone Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
I get a kick out of the fact that the guys in the warmest climates have the most extravagant blinds.
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
Originally Posted by tzone
I get a kick out of the fact that the guys in the warmest climates have the most extravagant blinds.

There’s some truth in that!
Posted By: SKane Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
Originally Posted by RedSnake
I added acoustic foam and a padded folding shooting bench

[Linked Image]

I'm going to travel a very short limb here and guess - Texas? grin
Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/24/17
We are sissy’s down here! We are cold when it gets below 60 degrees
hanco,

The last day that I got to go WT hunting, it was raining cats & dogs, 41 degrees & a 12-20MPH wind too. = I was really GLAD for being "in a box".

yours, tex
Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17
I sat in mine Saturday before last in the rain. It was in the low thirties. The heater and the glass windows were nice.
This year I could walk in work clothes to the heated blind. Have a couple cups of joe.

Be to work by 9. Never changed clothes except for the orange hat.

10 to 20 degrees outside.

I have read great things about the ozone scent treatment. Gonna incorporate that technology next.

This ain't Texas.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17
I like huntsman's stump blind, that has to be as good as the rolled hay bale blinds.
Posted By: tzone Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17
Originally Posted by hanco
We are sissy’s down here! We are cold when it gets below 60 degrees

Last season we had temps in the 70’s for the afternoon hunts. Mid 20’s in the mornings. Talk about not knowing how to dress!
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Our JD cotton stripper works well too. cool
The broke-down combine set there for over a week waiting to get parts. Over 100 antelope within a 100 yards of it one morning....
Posted By: jdunham Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17
Guys can call me whatever they want, my days of sitting in the rain or other miserable weather to shoot a deer are behind me. We have built a couple elaborate hunting “houses” over the last few years. I thoroughly enjoy sitting in them in miserable weather watching wildlife and the world go by. I have more work into those damn houses than I ever had into killing a deer without one, lol. Kill about the same number of deer I always did.
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17
the stump blind

[Linked Image]

I sure would like a little info on this stand. A name or website would be awesome.

Doug
Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17
I like it too!!!
Don't know much about it. Boss showed up with it on a trailer one day.I think it came outta Texas. Made out of some kind of foam, molded to look like a cottonwood stump. has steel tracks and magnets on the window cords. Fairly lightweight, one guy can kinda move it around.
Don't know much about it. Boss showed up with it on a trailer one day.I think it came outta Texas. Made out of some kind of foam, molded to look like a cottonwood stump. has steel tracks and magnets on the window cords. Fairly lightweight, one guy can kinda move it around.

Yep. Made in TX
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/25/17

Yep. Made in TX

Well that is close to home, name or website?
Originally Posted by DouginLa

Yep. Made in TX

Made by a company called Nature Blinds. Run north of $2,700 to $3,600 depending on which model you get.
Posted By: DouginLa Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/26/17
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Originally Posted by DouginLa

Yep. Made in TX

Made by a company called Nature Blinds. Run north of $2,700 to $3,600 depending on which model you get.

Yeah, that is what I came up with when I did a goggle search, I was hoping I was wrong, I ain't putting that much in a stand that I will only use a couple weeks a year. But it is cool.
Posted By: mathman Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/26/17
Originally Posted by shaman

[Linked Image]

Why not slope the roof so rain runs off behind you?
Posted By: hanco Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/26/17
I was wondering that myself
Originally Posted by mathman

[Linked Image]

Looks like he's on a little bit of a hill.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/26/17
[Linked Image]

Been there done that plenty of times.....works great down here in farming country (SW GA). On the large farms and plantations down here you can use diesel fuel as a cover scent, they are so used to it. I'm sure my Midwestern buddies can vouch for that.
Check out: www.gssafaris.com

The inventor is Tim Thomason.

Personally, our home-brewed tower (which is made out of scraps left over from building a run-in shed for horses) works just as well, can be moved with a farm tractor/PU and cost less than 25.oo out of pocket.

Our "down the road neighbor", Johnny Mac B__________________ took one look at it, LOL & pronounced it, "A 2-holer on stilts".

yours, tex
How in the world do I get an image posted or linked from the image gallery???🤔😡🤔

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12500462/box-stand.jpeg [/img]

Getting there but not pic and link is rotated. Any ideas?
T,

I think you see more box blinds in the South for a couple of reasons: Mainly because it's so thick you are limited to man made trails if you want to be able to see any distance and in those areas there's no tree to attach a stand. We also are primarily in pine plantation country, so not many trees large enough for stands in most areas. The second reason is humidity, I've hunted in many states and I'll take a dry cold over our humidity and below freezing. I layer up with good gear here, but when it gets below 35 here with our humidity I just about freeze. This weekend we are supposed to have lows in the teens and I'll be in a box. I still hunt a good deal from the ground, climbers, lock-ons, and ladders, but they get old fast when the temp drops below freezing.
Posted By: JPro Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/28/17
I might actual break out a heater this weekend. I'm generally good until it gets below 25F. Dang sure won't be sitting on a ladder stand.
The Nu Wave stove rocks 4 deer hunting!
my blind made it more comfortable to hunt on snowy or rainy days .I never put a heater in them.my tower blind was built to keep the bear population down and stop them from destroying crops. it got me up above the corn so I could see farther.

try moving from your northern states that are so cold down to a southern state. with in a year you'll be freezing in winter just like everyone else. takes a little while for your body to adjust.
Posted By: tzone Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/29/17
Nawww. We're just tougher.

[Linked Image]

It looks like the sun is in front of the blind, so having the roof sloped like it is may throw a bit more of a shadow down onto the occupant and thereby cut down on face glare?
Posted By: kingston Re: Let's see your box blind. - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by srwshooter

yep,cut the top off of one at shooting height,screw 4 2x4 inside sticking up to ceiling height screw the top back on,fill in with plastic from another tank,add windows and a door.they are fairly light weight and easy to move.

I can't believe I've never seen this before.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

Looks like he's on a little bit of a hill.

He’s using the grade to his advantage.
Posted By: wildone Re: Let's see your box blind. - 01/04/18

Try searching under " IBC TOTES " as well for the Pak tanks
© 24hourcampfire