Home
I'm interested in your opinions on your experience with various bullets for whitetails. I really want to know how these bullets perform on shoulder shots. I've shot a lot of deer, but mostly in slug zones, so I don't have a lot of experience with centerfire rifle kills. I've got a new Tikka T3X 7mm08 and I'm testing loads now, so your experience would be helpful. The bullets I've got in my loading room are:
Hornady Interlock 140
Nosler BT 120
Nosler AB 140
Nosler Partition 140 (blems)
Barnes TTSX 120
Barnes TTSX 140
Sierra Pro Huner 140
Any of the ones you listed will break shoulders
I’ve killed deer with every bullet you listed from a 7-08 except the 140 Barnes. I don’t think it’s needed for deer size game. With that said, I’m very fond of the 120 NBT, the 140 Accubond and 140 Partition. If choosing just one for everything it would be the 140 Partition. If choosing just one bullet for deer only it would be the 120 NBT. It’ll work just fine on deer shoulders.
I agree with SAS. I have taken several head of deer and hogs with the 120BT. Not one time did I think it might not have worked as expected. Bullets for the application and field proven are more important to me than itty bitty groups as I age. With that said, this bullet covers both bases in my guns.
If deer only and the shots aren’t too far I’m going for light speed with the 120 ttsxs
Of those on your list my nod would go to the Partition. I have loaded some Accubonds for my 7-08, but have never shot a critter with them. Everything I have ever shot with a Partition of any caliber or weight has given up the ghost post haste, and since I hunt really thick stuff I try to break them down on the spot. I always try to involve a shoulder, and that's where the Partition shines for me.

Now, with all that said, there's not a bullet on your list that wouldn't do the job.
At 7mm-08 velocities I would have no issues at all with a 140 Sierra or a Hornady Interlock 139.

Even a 140 Ballistic Tip which will probably expand a bit faster than a 120 BT.

Deer shoulders aren't all that tough. I get an 85 or 100 grain Sierra from a 6mm through at least 1 shoulder pretty easily normally both blades and usually 50 yards or closer.
The area I'm going to be hunting in next year is in northern Minnesota and it is some thick nasty swamp. I want to be sure I drop them where I shoot them to avoid tracking as much as possible. I did kill two does a couple years ago using a 130 grain Barnes in a 270 and it dropped both in their tracks. The biggest doe was shot quarter to me and I put the bullet on the shoulder. The bullet broke her shoulder, turned up to the spine and ran the length of the backstrap then turned downward and shattered her back leg. I caught that bullet amongst the shattered femur. Not much chance she was going to move after that. It tore up a lot of meat. FYI... After all that destruction, the bullet looks just like the photos you see in their ads and it didn't lose any weight. I've since sold off the 270, and I'm going with the 7mm-08.

I know the TSX is effective on shoulder shots, but I've heard mixed reviews when it's put into the lungs. Some say not much of a blood trail to follow. I'm leaning towards the 120 grain NBT.
Have used

140 Partition
140AB
120BT
120TSX

No issues with any of those for busting a deer’s shoulder. I doubt any of the others would be a problem either. Pick the one you like or shoots the best in your rifle.
I use the Hornaday 139 grain interlock with very good success while my Daughter uses the Hornaday GMX with equal success
The 139 Interlock flat base is a sure fire deer killer, shoulders are no problem at 7mm-08 speeds.
I've killed a lot of deer & hogs with the 140 Partition. It performs extremely well on whitetail and Mulies on shoulder shots. That's always my go to shot on deer if possible, because I hate to lose a deer, or spend hours in the dark tracking one.
The Barnes 120 gr TSX would be my second choice.
The 150 grain Ballistic Tip is an excellent deer bullet. And you can get Blems from SPS real cheap sometimes.
An issue you may have is what bullet your bullet will shoot to the accuracy that you desire. The 120g tipped tripple shock will take deer from all angles, very, very accurate bullet jumped .050.

The 120g NOsler is a tough son of a gun, not like most would think. We shot them at 3500 through 7 mags, but did not get complete penetration, just dead deer.

H4895 is a real winner in the 7/08 with the 120's.

Concerning bullets, shot placement trumps all....stuff is not hard to kill. We have shot a lot of bucks chasing does, this is a challenge because the buck is all jacked up. I love a bullet that will penetrate and dump a lot of energy on the deer, and a 150g Sierra does this in spades in a 7/08 with R#17 with Tough brass(lapua).
173 Sellier and Bellot SPCE
Originally Posted by mngunhead
The area I'm going to be hunting in next year is in northern Minnesota and it is some thick nasty swamp. I want to be sure I drop them where I shoot them to avoid tracking as much as possible. I did kill two does a couple years ago using a 130 grain Barnes in a 270 and it dropped both in their tracks. The biggest doe was shot quarter to me and I put the bullet on the shoulder. The bullet broke her shoulder, turned up to the spine and ran the length of the backstrap then turned downward and shattered her back leg. I caught that bullet amongst the shattered femur. Not much chance she was going to move after that. It tore up a lot of meat. FYI... After all that destruction, the bullet looks just like the photos you see in their ads and it didn't lose any weight. I've since sold off the 270, and I'm going with the 7mm-08.

I know the TSX is effective on shoulder shots, but I've heard mixed reviews when it's put into the lungs. Some say not much of a blood trail to follow. I'm leaning towards the 120 grain NBT.

I have hunted northern MN swamps my entire life. My 2 biggest deer were taken at less than 10 yards in said swamps. But the bullet in the front shoulders and you won’t have to track. If you do, it won’t be far.

Truthfully, 139gr Hornady SP will do just fine. Or even federal blue box 140’s.
The Hornady 139 will for sure. 140 gr Accbond too. In a 7x57 with 50 gr H4350 I saw one bust a shoulder bone quartering to and end up in the opposite ham with something like 32" penetration. Recovered bullet had a piece knocked off the mushroom otherwise an add pic.
Between my father and I, we have killed around 70 deer with the 7mm08. All of which have been with a 140 nosler ballistic tip. We both usually shoot for the high front shoulder and 9/10 they are DRT. My father has killed 2 elk with his 7mm08; however, he used 150 nosler partitions.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’ve killed deer with every bullet you listed from a 7-08 except the 140 Barnes. I don’t think it’s needed for deer size game. With that said, I’m very fond of the 120 NBT, the 140 Accubond and 140 Partition. If choosing just one for everything it would be the 140 Partition. If choosing just one bullet for deer only it would be the 120 NBT. It’ll work just fine on deer shoulders.

+1 on the 120 NBT, the 140 Accubond and 140 Partition - I am getting ready to develop loads for a couple of different 7mm-08's and will be working with these three bullets. I don't have any experience with the Barnes bullets, but I know these three different Nosler bullets will work just fine. No worries on using the cheaper bags of seconds from the pro shop, either.
My go-to load for my 7-08 is the 140 NAB over RE19. Never recovered one and more than a few have gone through deer shoulders and an elk felt the wrath of this load as well. It just works for me.

Oddly enough, the 140 NAB is also one of my favorites out of my 8 twist 260s, and my Tikka 270win. Excellent bullet that just works for me in every instance I've used it.

With all that said, most non-varmint hunting bullets available for a 7mm-08 from 120 up should punch a whitetail through the shoulders successfully.
I deer hunt mostly with a 280 and 150g Partition. The shoulder shot is my first choice Andy he Partition works great.
Not sure how many hormandy 139 interlocks I have put down range out of various 7mm, and never had a problem with any of them.
Another vote for the 120 BT. Easily over 50 animals with it between my dad and myself. Very good consistent performance. The 139 Horn flat base is a good one as well. I'm sure any on you list would be fine. I just have allot of experience with these two.
Seems the 120 NBT may be the single most mentioned bullet, if not it's in the top tier.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems the 120 NBT may be the single most mentioned bullet, if not it's in the top tier.

DF

I was just about to make that same comment. In general the BT doesn't get a lot of love for bone bustin'. For it to be so well respected for shoulder shots in a light for caliber bullet is a surprise to me.
140 trophy Bonded Bear Claw
remington 140gr psp coreloks. not that expensive and i have not had to track deer over 40-50yards with them.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I was just about to make that same comment. In general the BT doesn't get a lot of love for bone bustin'. For it to be so well respected for shoulder shots in a light for caliber bullet is a surprise to me.

It ain't you Daddy's Oldsmobile, remember that old car ad?

Well, this NBT isn't the one we used back in the day that blew up on most anything. The current 120 NBT is a tough bullet, able to bust shoulders on WT's and med sized game. And, I've never heard anyone complaining about accuracy.

When I traded for my 7-08, I didn't have time to work up loads, bought a couple boxes of Nosler factory 120's. They shot sub inch and I never looked back. No meat in the freezer, yet, but they'll do the trick.

Too many good hunters, like JGRaider, swear by them. If they weren't Kosher, JG would say so.

DF
Any decent 154 RN.
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
I agree with SAS. I have taken several head of deer and hogs with the 120BT. Not one time did I think it might not have worked as expected. Bullets for the application and field proven are more important to me than itty bitty groups as I age. With that said, this bullet covers both bases in my guns.

I agree with 708 fan agreeing with SAS.
I shoot the Federal Premium 150g Partitions in my 280 and they are great on shoulder shots. Deer rarely get out of sight and usually fall where they are hit.
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
I shoot the Federal Premium 150g Partitions in my 280 and they are great on shoulder shots. Deer rarely get out of sight and usually fall where they are hit.

Hey, if it works for ya....

Partition is never a bad choice, IME.

DF
I've shot none with 7-08 but a bunch with 7x57. 140 TTSX at 2900 and use it on everything from deer on up. It's more penetration than needed on deer, but I like to use the same ammo on everything.
I’ve used the Barnes 120 grain bullets. They will easily break the shoulders
Why do you intentionally shoot deer in the shoulders? Not much meat on a deer to begin with, then to intentionally blow a hole in the front end sure seems a waste of meat to me.
Originally Posted by mngunhead
I'm interested in your opinions on your experience with various bullets for whitetails. I really want to know how these bullets perform on shoulder shots. I've shot a lot of deer, but mostly in slug zones, so I don't have a lot of experience with centerfire rifle kills. I've got a new Tikka T3X 7mm08 and I'm testing loads now, so your experience would be helpful. The bullets I've got in my loading room are:
Hornady Interlock 140
Nosler BT 120
Nosler AB 140
Nosler Partition 140 (blems)
Barnes TTSX 120
Barnes TTSX 140
Sierra Pro Huner 140

They'll all work nicely for taking out the running gear. I've killed deer with all of them except the Pro Hunter so I'll speak only to the bullets I have experience with.
If the expectation is to have the least waste / blood shod shoulder meat, the BT and AB wouldn't be my # 1 (or 2) choice.
+1 on 120gr BT
[Linked Image]
I have shot the 7mm08 since 1984, I currently own 3 on them including a tikka t-3 that I purchased the first they were offered.
As stated several times, the hornady 139 interlock is as good as it gets. Plain and simple! Tough and accurate.
The 120 NBT will do for shoulder shots. I usually shoot high shoulder shots--DRT. If my avatar still shows the one and only hog I have shot fell to the 120.

Dean
I’ve killed deer or elk with all those bullets except the Sierra in a couple of different 7-08s. My two favorite by far are the 120 NBT for deer and antelope and the 120 TTSX for elk and combo hunts.

The NBT is accurate, less expensive and a complete hammer on deer. I have no qualms whatsoever about putting a 120 TTSX through the shoulders of the biggest bull elk at any reasonable range, as I know it will work.

Those 120s are perfect in the 7-08, mild recoil and DRT deadly!
Ive had good results with the 140 gr partitions
Originally Posted by ringworm
Any decent 154 RN.

Still my favorite bullet when deer are big and ranges short to moderate which is 90% of the area I hunt
never plan on just shooting a deer in the shoulder,we all know it doesn't work like that every time. hornady interlock in 139g would be my choice. same with my 270win .
I haven't used all of them on your list but several, and of those I've used I would say the 120 NBT and the 140 TTSX were the best for me. Accurate and no doubt's on terminal performance.
140 tsx and doubt you’ll ever recover one.
In my 7-08, I pretty much run 139gr and 154gr Interlocks full time and I sprinkle in some 140 grain Partitions. Deer bones are not hard to break. I'm not a fan of Sierra's on game, but that's me.
I’ve used the 139 Hornady and 140 Pro Hunter on deer and the 140 AB on hogs with perfect satisfaction. But I wouldn’t hesitate to use any bullet on the list.
120 BTs are all that we have shot out of our 7mm-08s for over 20 years. They have killed everything from small pronghorns and Coues whitetails up to and including a large cow elk. The rifles and loads that we use are accurate and recoil is not severe. Even first time deer and antelope hunters have been able to place their shots accurately and make one-shot kills.
If you are hunting a swamp (close shots) why shoulder shoot one. Some shoulder shots don't down the deer in its tracks and especially if you decide on a ballistic tip. When using my 7-08, I use ballistic tip 140s. I have killed many deer and no tracking involved. I have also lost deer due to the ballistic tip hitting a branch before impact.

Then you can take the other side, I use my 300 WM 180 core lock when shooting longer distances and the last buck I just killed, I put one in behind the shoulder and blew out a hole the size of a softball out it's guts, then put one in it's neck to finish it off at about 150-170 yards and it didn't have a pass through.

I LOVE NECK SHOTS THE BEST!
My deer hunting experience has been primarily bow hunting. All shots are put in the boiler room with the lungs being taken out as first priority. I've only killed 11 deer with a gun, mostly with a 20 gauge and barnes or remington accutip bullets or my muzzleloader. My only experience to date killing deer with a rifle is two does with a 270 shooting barnes 130s. I have always punched the shoulder and had them drop instantly. Yes, some required a finisher usually delivered with a pistol at close range, but they didn't run. That's why I ask the question. Most of you have killed many more deer than I have, and I appreciate all of you offering your experience and opinions. It is really helpful. I am a rifle shooter and have been for years. I've loved figuring out loads for rifles and my friends rifles, but really haven't spent a lot of time hunting with them. Other than shooting prairie dogs by the hundreds in South Dakota. I just like the process of testing and re-testing and seeing what I can accomplish.

JasonR... I've never taken a neck shot. Is there a preferred spot on the neck you go for, or do you just shoot anywhere the spinal column runs? Sorry to sound ignorant, but I am.

I still need to test the rifle more to see what it likes, but it has proven itself with 140 TTSX and Hornady 139 flat base interlocks. I plan to test my second round with Varget to see if any more gems reveal themselves. The first round of testing was done using all Ramshot Big Game.
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I’ve killed deer or elk with all those bullets except the Sierra in a couple of different 7-08s. My two favorite by far are the 120 NBT for deer and antelope and the 120 TTSX for elk and combo hunts.

The NBT is accurate, less expensive and a complete hammer on deer. I have no qualms whatsoever about putting a 120 TTSX through the shoulders of the biggest bull elk at any reasonable range, as I know it will work.

Those 120s are perfect in the 7-08, mild recoil and DRT deadly!

What he said - 7mm 120 gr bullets and the 7-08 are hammers on deer. If I was going to be shooting specifically at shoulders, I might go 120 gr TTSX only because I've seen personally how well they perform on a nice 9 pointer at 40 yds hitting the big knuckle of the off side shoulder. Buck went about 40 yds, bullet wasn't recovered and remarkably little blood shot meat.

I am not discounting others experience with the 120 gr NBT - loaded for the wife to use this last past season in her 7-08, and I've used it in both 7-08 and 284 win with no issues.
Tagged for later viewing.
Not much to say that wasn’t said 2 years ago. grin
Update on my earlier post. I have killed deer with the 120 NBT, very effective, good exit and internal damage.

Since then I’ve loaded some 140 SGK HPBT’s over BG. They’re even more accurate, slightly more expansive than the 120 NBT, good exit, impressive internal damage and quick kills. I’ve shot several sub half inch groups with my 700 Shilen barreled rifle. 120 NBT consistently sub MOA.

DF
Originally Posted by tzone
Not much to say that wasn’t said 2 years ago. grin

I noticed that!!
I never shot a whitetail with a 7-08 but I have killed an impala in RSA, 120 grain Barnes TTSX out of a Kimber Montana. 136 yards broadside, double shoulder shot, bullet did not exit, found under skin and lost a petal, DRT!
130g Speer Hot Core will penetrate both shoulders, this is not the boat tail bullet

42g of IMR 4895
Rem 9 1/2
REm brass
Bullet just off the lands
3000 fps in a 24" barrel
Small groups abound
I shoot nbt or Annabelle almost exclusively.
I have never had any trouble shooting through both shoulders with either bullet. I have one load that is loaded down to 2500ish with 140 nbt and it works fine. Have run the same up to 3300ish with the same result. Drt most of the time.

I only use barns in a 257 weatherby at 3700. Super fast for caliber is the only way I like barns.

Sadly, mngunhead was so overwhelmed by the choices, that he sold his guns and quit hunting.....

mngunhead Offline
Joined 11/14/17
Last Seen 05/13/18
Originally Posted by centershot
Why do you intentionally shoot deer in the shoulders? Not much meat on a deer to begin with, then to intentionally blow a hole in the front end sure seems a waste of meat to me.

Agree, I always go for vitals,no wasted meat.
Originally Posted by centershot

No reason to worry about 5# of meat.

I usually shoot as far forward and high as I can so that I just miss the actual shoulder but if/when I do hit shoulders I am not too concerned. Too much silver skin and connective tissue on em to leave much good meat.

I hunt a very thick creek bottom and deer can/do cross the creek if not anchored on the spot.
Terminal ballistic researches web sight will discuss this subject ad nauseueum.

I guess in NewZealand they get to shoot truckloads of deer sized game every day.

So they have lots of ideas.

At point blank range I would focus on the heavier ordinances.

To save meat I would look for monolith copper to prevent lead poisoning.

Personally I have killed deer and elk at point blank range with the nosler parts at 140 grain. No complaints.

I weigh the factory seconds, I find there are very few that weigh what they are supposed to be.

Most will be in a " light group" or " heavy group".

Best of luck.
© 24hourcampfire