Home
Posted By: ChaseA1 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/02/18
I am thinking about loading up some Sierra125 Spiral point does anybody have any ideas if they will shoot good or any load data that they would have for it thanks
For deer hunting??????????
I use them as practice loads. About 47 grs. of H4895 is very accurate and it shoots the same zero as my 150 gr. TTSX w/ RS Big Game powder. Less recoil as well. E
Posted By: CWT Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/02/18
My uncle used them for years for deer. It worked very well.
I used them once. It was on an antelope hunt. 1st bullet hit just behind the shoulder & blew up. An area about the size of my hand with no hair or hide. No penetration, the antelope was knocked off it's feet. My 2nd shot anchored the buck. Last time I used 125 grain bullets.
Very accurate in the 308
Sierra makes them hard, with a thick jacket and a higher-antimony core. They are not a varmint bullet. That said, shooting a light-for-caliber c&c bullet at high speed and expecting it to bust shoulders is....ignorant. If you shoot for ribs, they work fine.

I shoot them with IMR4064 in 30-06. Max load per Hodgdon website data.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/03/18
My guns shot them well with RL15, really well actually.
125 Remington CoreLokt at moderate speed is an absolute killer. Always exit with a very nice wound all the way through.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/03/18
Not for me thanks. I am of the mindset that the 06 is best suited to bullets of 150 grains or heavier. Today's mono metals help,but light bullets of .30 caliber start to look like bricks. Tipped TSX have a lot more appealing profile than the old 125 grain cup and core did.

As an aside, I had a bullet stay in a deer this past season. It's happened one other time in 35 plus years of shooting deer with the 30/06. A 150 ballistic tip. Now this was a big mature pig of a buck,but a rib on the off side stopped the remains of the bullet. Basically the jacket. The chest cavity on the off side was peppered with frag. Core I figure. At any rate. The buck bounced when he hit the ground. Dropped like a bad habit. The only other time a whitetail caught a bullet for me was another big old bruiser buck. Smashed both front shoulders. Didn't exit. That was one of the early Combined Tech bullets. Can't say with certainty what weight it was,so I won't.

Admittedly,variables came into play with this season's deer. Range,velocity,body size,bullet construction. An A Bond,TTSX,Partition would have likely exited. No large bones were hit. I like exit wounds. Can't see applying the 125 grain sp to the 06 at its velocities,and potential close shots. To me,find a near maximum honey of a load using a quality 180 grain bullet,and reap the best of what the 06 has to offer.
Posted By: hanco Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/03/18
I want to try the 130 TTSX’s for the hell of it.
Posted By: tzone Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/03/18
Originally Posted by Otter6
Not for me thanks. I am of the mindset that the 06 is best suited to bullets of 150 grains or heavier. Today's mono metals help,but light bullets of .30 caliber start to look like bricks. Tipped TSX have a lot more appealing profile than the old 125 grain cup and core did.

As an aside, I had a bullet stay in a deer this past season. It's happened one other time in 35 plus years of shooting deer with the 30/06. A 150 ballistic tip. Now this was a big mature pig of a buck,but a rib on the off side stopped the remains of the bullet. Basically the jacket. The chest cavity on the off side was peppered with frag.

The only bullet I’ve ever had not go all the way through a deer has been a 30-06. And it happened 4 times. 2 150gr core lokts, 1 165gr core lokt, and 165gr federal fusion.

All other bullets from 85gr to 225gr have gone through.
I tried a few years ago in my culling including;
110gn Sierra HP
125gn Speer TNT
130gn ADI
130gn Speer HP
130gn Barnes TTSX

The 130gn Speer was always the best of them and over a stiff charge of AR2208/VARGET because the test of all .30/06 rifles as the load dumped 5 under an inch in any rifle worth buying.
It was also quite good for deer sized game when directed into the lungs.
The 130gn TTSX has earned its reputation as a game bullet.
John
Posted By: MILES58 Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/04/18
When you can easily get 2400 FPS out of 150s with LeverEvolution powder in a 30-30, and you have the option of pulling the plastic tip out of 130 grain TTSXs it seems like a dumb idea to mess with filing lead points off spitzers. If you need more range than a 2400 FPS 150 gives you it's not so much a question of improving the load as it is of finding an appropriate cartridge.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/04/18
double post
Posted By: pete53 Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/04/18
Originally Posted by hanco
I want to try the 130 TTSX’s for the hell of it.

I have been using this barnes bullet in 130 for whitetail and mule deer bucks ,its an excellent bullet to use and very accurate,barnes bullet company does recommend using a neck crimp die too,which I did and it did also improve accuracy too. lee neck crimp dies are less than $20.00
With an 06 there all kinds of combinations possible. Last Fall I used a 170 gr. Hornady over either 43 or 44 gr. of I4895. Did a heck of a job on a spiker. This load was within the guidelines for that weight of bullet according to Hornady.

Jim
Didn't Nosler come up with the 125g NAB just for the .308 and .30-06 for deer sized game?
Posted By: pointer Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/06/18
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Just for you I think I will shoot a deer this year with a 125gr bullet out of my 30-06. Don't worry, there won't be any whining posts about an outfitters draw blood policy...
Posted By: mathman Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/06/18
Originally Posted by pointer
Just for you I think I will shoot a deer this year with a 125gr bullet out of my 30-06. Don't worry, there won't be any whining posts about an outfitters draw blood policy...

My father used to get it done quite well with a 30 Herrett handgun and 125 grain bullets. Pop could shoot though. grin
Posted By: pointer Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/06/18
Originally Posted by mathman

My father used to get it done quite well with a 30 Herrett handgun and 125 grain bullets. Pop could shoot though. grin
That post reminds me of math. The answer's at the end... wink
They ALL kill deer. If you shoot enough, though, strange things happen. Velocity isn't your friend if penetration is the goal. 125's work great on deer at pedestrian speed from cartridges like 30-30 or 30 Herrett in shorter barrels. At 30-06 speeds, you're asking for strange things to happen to c&c bullets when they make contact.

I don't like light-for-caliber bullets for hunting. I prefer weight and fragmentation to make the proper wound channels, even in mild cartridges. I shoot 200gr fairly soft cast bullets at about 2k in a 30-30 lever gun, and 165 fragile jacketed bullets in a 30-30 14" Contender.

In '06, I prefer to hunt with bullets 180gr and up. But they ALL kill deer. In every caliber.
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Didn't Nosler come up with the 125g NAB just for the .308 and .30-06 for deer sized game?

I don't know exactly what they were developed for, but yes there is a 125 Accubond. I plan on trying them next season; I suspect they'll produce dead deer.
Posted By: pointer Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/07/18
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
They ALL kill deer. If you shoot enough, though, strange things happen. Velocity isn't your friend if penetration is the goal. 125's work great on deer at pedestrian speed from cartridges like 30-30 or 30 Herrett in shorter barrels. At 30-06 speeds, you're asking for strange things to happen to c&c bullets when they make contact.

I don't like light-for-caliber bullets for hunting. I prefer weight and fragmentation to make the proper wound channels, even in mild cartridges. I shoot 200gr fairly soft cast bullets at about 2k in a 30-30 lever gun, and 165 fragile jacketed bullets in a 30-30 14" Contender.

In '06, I prefer to hunt with bullets 180gr and up. But they ALL kill deer. In every caliber.
Not all .308" 125gr bullets are cup and core...

Not all .308" 125gr bullets are cup and core...

No, but this thread, and my posts, have referred to cup&core.

There are obviously other choices. Such as some cast bullets I've worked up loads for in several 30 cals. The bullets are flat-nosed and weigh around 125 grains. I can push them into the mid 2k range with accuracy in 1:10 twists and the right alloy. These are devastating on deer, shedding a bit of nose on the way through. Or I can cast them softer and they become varminters at just above 2k. Or I can use the softer ones at milder speeds, 1500 or so, and again they act like a controlled expansion bullet.

Or buy copper or gilding metal mono's if you feel the need.
Posted By: pointer Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/08/18
I won't be using mono's either. I'm thinking a 125gr Accubond at 3200fps will be more than sufficient for what I plan on using it for.
I won't be using mono's either. I'm thinking a 125gr Accubond at 3200fps will be more than sufficient for what I plan on using it for.

The Accubond isn't a cup and core? Strange, I distinctly recall a lead core and a gilding metal jacket around it, cupping it.
Posted By: mathman Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/08/18

The Accubond isn't a cup and core? Strange, I distinctly recall a lead core and a gilding metal jacket around it, cupping it.

It's cup, core and glue. grin
Posted By: pointer Re: 125 grain SP in 30-06 ??? - 02/08/18
Originally Posted by mathman

It's cup, core and glue. grin
That's how I see it. Don't see many folks including bonded bullets in the average conversation regarding cup and core bullets. Then again, I do understand that the definition is more than a bit ambiguous. Still not fretting. If I decide to go mono, it'll be lighter than 125gr...
My pals daughter killed a huge bull elk with a 125 gr. Accubond from a .308 this fall.. Plus deer and antelope..That is the bullet I would look at..
© 24hourcampfire