Home
I don’t remember seeing this one posted before- although it could’ve been. What one rifle have you killed the most deer with? Not the cartridge or load- just the rifle. Mine would be my first deer rifle- a Remington 700 BDL SS chambered in .30-06, I probably killed my first 20 or so deer with it, it’s been a few years since I’ve taken it out hunting. I might have to throw her back into the rotation this year! I don’t have any pictures of it- please feel free to post pics of yours if you have them!
Probably a Dakota 76 in 257AI or a pre64 M70 in 257R.
I have 2 older slimmer H&R 30-30 topper barrels mated to a modern NEF receivers that have killed many whitetails.
One has the Cabelas LeverAction 30-30 scope that shoots LE ammo and the other that shoots 170 grain Sierra FN's
Both are more accurate than a cheap rifle ought to be. Hunted in Wi.-Mn.-Mi. back in the day. Now just Wi. and out west
Probably an old pre-64 Model 70 in .257 Roberts.

I trade guns fairly often so I don't usually shoot a whole bunch with one. Once I'm convinced something works, I punt it and go try something else. That ol' .257 was with me through quite a few years before the serious gun bug bit. Second in line was probably a SS Remington Seven in 7mm-08. I didn't have it very long but I got right busy killin' shyte with it.

Tom
I don't think I've killed more than 1 or 2 with any rifle currently in my safe. I've been in a collecting and testing mode for the last several years. Once I kill a deer with one, it goes back in the safe so I can bloody another one.

I guess the one I killed the most with was my first deer rifle, before I got into collecting. It was a Rem 710 in 30-06 that I killed my first four deer with. Once I started collecting and started using some quality rifles, I realized what a POS the 710 was so it went down the road. I don't miss it at all.

After hearing a few good reviews, I thought about trying out one of the new Rem 783 models until I actually handled one in a store. It was heavy, bulky, and handled like a club. Memories of that old 710 came flooding back so I left it in the store.
For me it'd be a tossup between my Marlin 336 .30-30 and my 12 gauge Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer.
1861 Springfield, Don't know why but I seem to always see deer while carrying it.
Most, by a long margin - Model 11 Savage in .243.

I know, I should know better !!

2nd - T/C ProHunter in 25-06.

3rd - Savage m99 in .308.

4th - "Remchester" 1895 replica in 30-06.
interesting question that I"m not sure of the answer about actually. May have killed more with a single bow than a single gun.

I like to see how things work. So I shoot deer for a few years with X, then go to Y, etc....

Last year it was the 10mm Glock 20. Which worked EXTREMELY well, never had a deer fall out of eyesight, can't say that any made 50 yards actually, one made maybe 20- steps around a bush.

Latest "toy" is 458 Win mag. LOL
BTW I know the least... as in one, with 50 bmg. Had to look for her so long it was nuts, went about 200 yards with a double lung. No real damage to the deer except the 50 cal hole... Have not bought or loaded expanding bullets in that one yet... will not attempt another until that happens.

That one would be my Mauser in 270 Winchester.
Remington 7400 in 6mm rem and 100 gr Corloks
A pawn shop M-70 SS BOSS in 30'06
That would be my Weatherby MkV, in .257 Wby.
My Springfield 03A3, 30-06 of course. That is if we are starting from the beginning, toss up between a 308 and 7x57 the last ten years.
Remington 7600, 30-06
S&W 1500 270 wcf
Jesus!a

I am not so certain I have killed more than ten with any individual rifle. I doubt I have killed more than 20 with any individual caliber/gauge. I have killed 8-10 or so with a number of different rifles/calibers, with bows and shotguns.

I would LIKE to kill a bunch more with 22 lr just to understand better. I much prefer my .270 as an efficient killing machine. I love my .243 Sako L579. I love my Howa 1500 .243 almost as much. I will never be without a 760 in 30-06. Muzzle loaders are fun and have been extremely efficient for me. I could probably come to a point where I would say I will use a specific rifle and caliber for the rest of my life, but after a few years I'd be looking to get out of the deal.
push feed M70 fwt 30-06.

probably because it's the only one I had when I was younger and went after my hunting with more effort.
When I was doing scientific collecting (mostly whitetails. along with a few mule deer) virtually all of them (probably over 1,100) were killed with a .Sako .222 Remington Magnum. If we're talking sport hunting, my old pre-64 Model 70 in .30-06 has been used to take way more than any of my other rifles, largely because it was the only one I hunted with for over 30 years.
My 20 yr old Tikka 695 7mm Rem Magnificent is responsible for way over half of the 300 or so big game animals I've been fortunate enough to kill. Partitions in 150 and 160gr did most of it.

I've killed loads of hogs with the first deer rifle I ever had, bought back in 1971, a Marlin 336 30-30. It still wears the old Weaver K4 that I bought at the same time.
My 2 boys a d I have shot close to 40 deer with a Remington 788 in .222. We add two or three to its numbers every year.
A grand total of two! lol

I generally don't see many deer where I hunt. Plus, I tend to take 3-4 different rifles when I go, then not bring them again for several years, so it can take a long while for something to get a second chance. I have one rifle I've killed two with, one shotgun I've killed two and one handgun I've killed two... so as a consequence those 3 never go hunting anymore.
They have to give all the others a chance. wink

But for rifles... my shortened at both ends .45-70

One of either sex.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one. Sako L579 .220 Swift.
lost count years ago....my home made thumbhole (thanks to Fajen) 1908 Mauser in 25-06.....I built it in 1970
760 30-06. Most of those deer the rifle had a $30 blister pack Bushnell Sportview 3x9 on it. Several deer later with a Tasco World class 2x7. The rifle has a Leupold VariX-III 2.5x8 on it now and will untill I'm long gone since High Brass set it up that way.
My deer rifle, naturally!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

I know that steep old country! About as steep as it gets when you roll off towards the river.
Rem. 660, 308.
Brown Precision stock, Decelator.
Redfield mounts, now Talley lightweight
Old Redfield Widefield 2x7 accutrac, now Leopold Vari-x ii 3x9
165gr. Ballistic tips, had a fling with Sierra 165gr. BTW (too destructive, IMHO
BLC2 or IMR4895

This gun has been a death ray for me, it j u st kills stuff.
We had a run, 10 shots, 8 dead deer, 1 miss.
Hunting from the ground, no stand/blind, bait, or any rifle rest, often on the move.
That's was in a short time, so I remembered it, don't normally keep records.
[Linked Image]

Pat did you hunt with Jon Barker on that buck? I met him in out in in the middle of Montana a couple years ago at a card lock fueling up. Real cool guy.
First gen ULW 257 Roy, factory 100 sp, no turrets, no fancy boolits, it just works, and works really well....
[Linked Image]
1980 Browning BLR. 308win, varixiii 2.5-8 gloss duplex.tally rings, 165 Hornady Btsp at 2550.
Nice buck Jud......great pic.

Ruger M77
Remington 30-06

Under 50

Mostly doe

[Linked Image]
Marlin 1895 45-70 Id say about 20 with it! now days I use diffrent rifles most all are Savage 99s
Interesting collection we’ve mentioned here- seems like we all killed more with rifles when we started before the “looneyism” took hold of us!
Winchester M70 Ranger
Model 600 6mm
First year of production Remington 700 Classic in .243. Not to mention a truck load of hogs with it too.

My Winchester 1980 Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 would run a close second.
Originally Posted by Judman
[Linked Image]

Pat did you hunt with Jon Barker on that buck? I met him in out in in the middle of Montana a couple years ago at a card lock fueling up. Real cool guy.

My hunting buddy, Tom Sather was with Jon that day, I was hunting solo. We all met up at the end of the day. We had quite a celebration!
[Linked Image]

Same rifle, 1985. 20 miles north of Bozeman, Montana.
Originally Posted by pahick
Model 600 6mm

You wouldn't happen to be the Rat Bastard who turkey hunto with a Benalli Nova?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Model 600 6mm

whats a Benalli
I bet!! That's a hellava buck!! Was it the early tag or the rut tag? Do you apply for it anymore? Thanks
A Ruger M77 with the tang safety and the red but pad. Purchased new in 1978. .30-06 and Frontier 150 grn pointed soft points.
M700BDL in 270. Bought it in 1972 and for around 30 years it was the only centerfire I owned. Mostly used 130 gr Interlocks over H4831, all three varieties in that length of time. It's on it's 2nd barrel and 3rd stock these days. The last 15 or so years I've used several other rifles, a M77 MkII 257 Roberts the most. Finally dug the ol 270 back out last fall and took a 160" deer with it, still works.
Model 721 in 270 with a 50 year old Weaver 6K and 130 gr. Core Locks If venison absolutely positively has to go into the freezer, this rifle comes out of the safe.
Originally Posted by tzone
Remington 7600, 30-06

Same here.
But the number is easily surpassed by guns that throw wads as part of the payload. smile
Probably my 77 Ruger 7 mmRM. 2 1/2 - 8 Vari-X III. My Son has it now.
Originally Posted by Judman
I bet!! That's a hellava buck!! Was it the early tag or the rut tag? Do you apply for it anymore? Thanks

Rut permit.

I haven't applied in years.
Right on. Love that country.
6 mm Rem
Originally Posted by JustinL1
Interesting collection we’ve mentioned here- seems like we all killed more with rifles when we started before the “looneyism” took hold of us!

That’s certainly true for me. So...

my ‘ best guess ‘ is that I’ve killed more deer with my first Rem M Six in 270 Win.

Really there are & have been too many rifles & too many deer to be certain. It has almost become an obsession to hunt 1 or 2 different or new rifles
each year.

Jerry
Probably either a Savage 16 in 7mm/08 or a Savage 116 in 375 H&H mag. They were my bad weather guns for years. A Remington 700 Classic in 300 Savage and a Mauser 98 in 6mm Rem would be right in the mix too.

Like most others here, I have a number of rifles I rotate through. I have numerous rifles with 1-3 deer to their credit with several others that need to be blooded by me yet.
Weatherby ULW 25-06, a buddy fell in love with it and I swapped it away because it carried easily but it was too light for me to shoot easily...
Savage 99-A 250-3000
Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional in .270 Winchester
Sigarms SHR 970. Best rifle no one has ever heard of...
A Winchester Mod 670 in 30-06 that I sold.
788 remington 223
Without a doubt my Remington 660 .243 has taken the largest share of animals including a couple mule deer, Barbary, numerous white-tails and a whole pile of hogs.
Hear it is I guess the last pic didn’t have er in there... meat ax....
[Linked Image]
Well that ain’t it! Grin
[Linked Image]
Remington 760 30-06.
Sako 300 Wby...Changing it up for the first time in years and going with a new homo rig Nosler M48 in 270 WSM and a crap Loopy scope. 😎
[Linked Image]

Not sure which is nicer...the rifle or the Muley. Either way, that one ought to count as 2!
M98 action, Douglass barreled 25-06 and a 100gr Btip. Yup.
kimber 260

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Huntsman-love those WT's with a lot of mass. Nice deer!

I suspect it'd would be a toss-up between a Ruger 77 in 25/06 I bought in 1980 (120 gr. Core-Lokts) and a Ruger ultra-light 77, tang-safety, in a 270 Win (130 gr. Core-Lokts).

However, my little Marlin xl7 in a 25/06 is catching up fast. It's amazing how the deer totals go up when you get on a good lease around here where no one messes with you or your stuff. But, I still shoot the 120 gr. Core-Lokts in this rifle as well.
1964 to 1977 it was a sporterized M98 in 8x57, then in March 1978 lost it in a house fire.
1978 to present it is a Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Both are great deer calibers.

Early 1970's Ruger 77 -243 cal. After I bought a pre 64 Win in 243 I intended to sell the Ruger. That was three years ago. Ruger out shoots the Winchester and I realized that I'm to attached to get rid of the Ruger. Carried Savage levers the last few years but have only killed one deer with a 250/3000. GW
The first rifle I used that was truly mine, a 99R in .300 Savage. My current M70 SS FW '06 is getting close to passing it.
For me that would be my pre'64 M/70 .35 Whelen with 225 gr. Sierra and IMR 4064.
It's a tie at the moment between my Ruger Ultralight .308 and a Ruger .257 Roberts.
One of my .308s - either my Savage 99F or my Kimber Montana, not sure which, but probably the Savage.
My (formerly my grandpa’s) Marlin 30-30. It had a scope on it in high rise rings until my senior year of high school when I took them off and have been perfectly happy using the iron sights for the last 3 years. Second most is probably the 270 but I go between the 270, 308, 30-06 and 30-30 all season usually.
Hard to say. Gonna have to give the edge to the M70 Classic stainless featherweight in 30/06. I think photo bucket has my only pic of it. Bastards.
Rem 700 hands down for me in 3 different configurations. BDL 243, Classic 35 Whelen , and 700ML 50 cal . I've killed a few with other rifles and shotguns but 90 % were from these 3 the numbers are about equal between the 3.
1957 model 70 .270 fwt.
Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen, my Whelenizer. The load was 200 Grain Rem SPCL over H4895. I took at least one deer with it for about a decade.

The new GOTO rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 shooting 165 Hornady SP's over H4895.
1972 win super grade 270. 130 grain
Remington Model 700 Classic 270, probably killed 40 or so with it.
Sako 7 Rem mag, hands down.
My Ruger M77 Ultralight in 243 Win. stacked up Mid-Atlantic dinks like cord wood. Moved away and sold rifle. Still regret selling that rifle.
I use a Ruger #1 with a custom brux barrel in a 257 weatherby mag. /niteforce scope for the last 10 years for deer hunting
[Linked Image]

One of the best mule deer + picture combos ever!! Very well done. Again, you have a picture/critter history that few I've ever met can rival. Super.

The rifle I've killed the most deer with is a Ruger SS/lam in 338 Win Mag. But, like Skane, I've killed more with a slug gun than anything.
[Linked Image]

Same rifle, 1985. 20 miles north of Bozeman, Montana.

Hi Scenarshooter, you are a very interesting fellow, if you ever writhe a book I will be sure to read it .
Joe
My tastes seem to change every couple of years. When it was just whitetails back in the early 80's I had a super accurate Remington 700 ADL in .270. Sold it, like a dummy, and bought a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .270. Killed a pile with it. Then I bought a Browning A-Bolt in .257 Roberts, traded it for a Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts and killed pile of whitetails with it. Then I bought a Remington 700 Ti in 7mm RSAUM and slayed west Texas mulies and yotes for a loooong time with it. I've killed tons of axis with my Bushmaster in .223 as well. If you count all the critters killed, whitetails, sheep, hogs, etc. the winner would be my Browning A-Bolt in .270.

They're all about to take a back seat to my Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5X55.
Winchester Model 64 in 32 Special.
It would have to be either the Rem 600 in 243 or a Savage 99 in 243. Both were used as I was growing up hunting a ranch that was trying to take 200 doe a year off of it. I know of one year the 600 accounted for 39 deer.
The most, 243.
I used a Winchester Model 70 in .243 for about 30 years. Today I use the 6.5s. (6.5x55 - 6.5 Creedmoor - 6.5x284)
I haven't taken a deer with a rifle, yet. Bow, crossbow, and shotgun, but my muzzleloader and rifle are still unblooded.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
[quote=pahick]Model 600 6mm

whats a Benalli

An Italian shotgun,
with a name I can't spell! grin
Back in the day, early 90's for a couple three years, did depredation hunts for a watermelon and pumpkin farmer that grew and had a contract with wally-mart, must have shot 300 deer, every one with the mighty 7mm STW and first gen 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3600 fps, smoked the throat and a lot of deer ass' with that rifle, it was a brand new Winchester classic Laredo when I got started, had an old 6.5-20x40 AO Leupold twister spray painted flat black on top. grin
Got my very first deer with a rifle (mod 70 3006) and then every one since 1985 has been a shotgun or ML the past 15 years has been all ML.

Have a new 7-08 as of yet unhunted. Need t change that.
A custom 1999 MRC in 300 win mag in a McMillan stock. Wears a Kahles 3.5x10x50mm scope and spews Barnes TTSX. My favorite rifle, it's been there done that, killed lots of big whitetails, plains game in South Africa, etc.
Originally Posted by gunner500
......... must have shot 300 deer, every one with the mighty 7mm STW and first gen 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3600 fps, smoked the throat and a lot of deer ass' with that rifle, it was a brand new Winchester classic Laredo when I got started, had an old 6.5-20x40 AO Leupold twister spray painted flat black on top. grin

Got a good chuckle out of that description. I can just see it happening......!
When I started hunting some 50+ years ago do to my young age and limited funds I built my arsenal with a specific purpose for each gun. A pump shotgun for small game, a .22 for plinking and squirrels and a rifle for deer hunting, They covered all my needs for 20+ years and I was as happy as could be with them. I shot more deer with that Mossberg 800A in .308 Win. than I can remember. Then later in life when I had more money to play with I caught the gun fever and seemed to be hunting with a different rifle every deer season, I can never catch up the to number of deer that old cheap Mossberg laid to rest. Maybe I will dust her off an and hit the woods wth her next year, might make me feel younger.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by gunner500
......... must have shot 300 deer, every one with the mighty 7mm STW and first gen 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3600 fps, smoked the throat and a lot of deer ass' with that rifle, it was a brand new Winchester classic Laredo when I got started, had an old 6.5-20x40 AO Leupold twister spray painted flat black on top. grin

Got a good chuckle out of that description. I can just see it happening......!

LOL, you bet JG, I had just graduated from the PO [blow a primer] Ackley and Layne [3600 fps or bust] Simpson schools of ballistic studies! grin
Since we just flipped over to "rifle legal" use in the counties I hunt in the last 7-8 years I've been rotating the use. The .243 has probably killed the most, followed by the 7mm-08........
Knight MK 85 50 cal stainless steel I bought in 1990. Up until a couple years ago we could not use centerfire rifles. Shotgun with slugs or muzzleloader was the only option. This muzzleloader will shoot.
Remington 700 in .270win. Sits in an early Lee Six thumb hole and is chopped to 20 inches. awesome light weight rifle. loves 130grn partitions!
.270.....by far.
Jack was a neighbor.....
I read and listened.
I have about 10 black tails on a kimber 308, all my mule deer ~ 15 or so we’re taken with an old 700bdl in 270.
I have never kept a rifle over 3 years or so but I guess I've killed the most deer with a .308 Win in some sort of Remington 700 or one of many model Seven's I have owned........Hb
Browning A bolt 30 06. Most with Winchester 150 grain power points. They'll do everything a premium bullet will do on deer at less cost.
Remington 760 30-06. I killed every deer I shot at with that gun.
Ruger AllWeather MK II in 280 Remington (50+ kills)
Thompson Encore in 280 AI (20+ kills)
Weatherby Mk V in 7 Wby (10+ kills)

In that order. All three of them are point, bang, flop.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have never kept a rifle over 3 years or so but I guess I've killed the most deer with a .308 Win in some sort of Remington 700 or one of many model Seven's I have owned........Hb

Only keeping a rifle 3 years, you are infected with the scourge of the campfire.
I killed 22 whitetail and about a dozen aoudad with my 700 in 7-08 this season. I moved from a 140 grain accubond to 140 hunting ballistic tip this year because I was shooting 300 rounds instead of 20.
Gotta be my Savage Model 99 EG. It was previously owned by one of the original members of our deer camp in Pa. We always referred to them as the Olde Guard, and are very lucky that they left us with this camp to carry on such time honored traditions. I've also taken quite a few with my dad's old Mauser 30-06, but the 99 is usually the first gun off the rack when deer season comes.
M77 MkII in 7 Mag.
I have a .30/06 Model 70 Featherweight that has taken fallow, red, mule, pronghorn and whitetail deer, plus an aweful lot more Aussie game.
It is my buddy now. The curves are very familiar in my hands.
John
Model 700 in 300wm. Got bored with that and went to a 30-06 encore pistol. Ed k
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Gotta be my Savage Model 99 EG. It was previously owned by one of the original members of our deer camp in Pa. We always referred to them as the Olde Guard, and are very lucky that they left us with this camp to carry on such time honored traditions. I've also taken quite a few with my dad's old Mauser 30-06, but the 99 is usually the first gun off the rack when deer season comes.

250 Sav? 300 Sav? ???

Just curious!
[Linked Image]

Looks like that rifle bbl. is pointing at you with the bolt closed!
Probably about 18 with a Savage LH 110 .243.
Probably a push feed Model 70 Featherweight in .243..I think I killed 23 deer with that rifle...IIRC
R-700 with a wilson barrel 1x8 , Cooper 1x8 .243 you would not believe how many Whitetails I have killed with these rifles. Rio7
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Looks like that rifle bbl. is pointing at you with the bolt closed!

It's pointed behind my back, idiot....
760 in 270 with 130 CL's. it was a death laser for many years. my brother swore he could tell that gun from the next mountain over. one shot wonder. bang flop gut drag
A R700 in .30-06.

13 of my 31 deer were with that rifle.

-jake
my sister has shot 13 with it as well interestingly.... And my grandpa more than a handful before he gave it to me....

-Jake
150 plus deer with a Model 700, 6mm Remington. Burned the barrel out on it and now it is a cm.
A 760 Carbine in 308. Belonged to my grandfather. My oldest grandson will get it.
Winchester M94 .30-30, post-64, bought with paper route money. I still have it and still kill deer with it.

[Linked Image]
Most deer-- Remington 700 Classic .257 Roberts
Most elk --- Sako Finnbear .270 Win.
Lots of onesy-twoseys since I came down with the dreaded looney affliction.
Most whitetail with a M700 ADL 270 and 6x36LR.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome pics SamO.
For me, a WInchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 has taken more deer than any other rifle.
Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby. Something like 75+
Sako A 7 in 7-08 shooting 140 gr TSX's. Never recovered but one bullet on any game shot with it, those being elk, mulies, whitetails, antelope, black bear, coyotes and whitetails. The one recovery was on a bull elk (7x6) that was quartering away and fixing to leave, shot him behind the shoulder pretty far back and found the bullet just under the hide forward of the right shoulder.

My middle grandson has already laid claim to that rifle whose moniker is, "Little Lucifer".
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Sako A 7 in 7-08 shooting 140 gr TSX's. Never recovered but one bullet on any game shot with it, those being elk, mulies, whitetails, antelope, black bear, coyotes and whitetails. The one recovery was on a bull elk (7x6) that was quartering away and fixing to leave, shot him behind the shoulder pretty far back and found the bullet just under the hide forward of the right shoulder.

My middle grandson has already laid claim to that rifle whose moniker is, "Little Lucifer".

What do you have the A7 scoped with?
3.5x10, 50mm Zeiss Conquest, plex reticle. Especially good for low light.
Savage model 11 in 7-08.....
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
3.5x10, 50mm Zeiss Conquest, plex reticle. Especially good for low light.

I picked up its bigger brother(7 rem mag) a few months ago, struggling to find what best to put on it. They have one very smooth action.
Old, Walnut 700ADL in 270 Win. Could fill a dumptruck with the deer I've taken with that rifle.
Justin, don't you mean "Which rifle..."?

Anyhow, for me it is a Winchester Model 70 PF Featherweight in .280 Remington wearing a Burris 2.5-8x Compact. It swings like a fine shotgun and kills deer and elk with ease.
30-06 husqvarna 3-9 leupold for deer and a 150gr speer sp or an interlock of same weight
I was shocked to find this out when I looked back through my records, but the rifle is my 54 caliber TC Renegade. I guess it is because I have too many centerfire rifles, and only two muzzle loaders. I really didn't expect this when I went looking.
Rugger 77 tang safety in 220 Swift.
.50 cal GRRW Henry Leman 1/2 stock Indian trade Rifle

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
.50 cal GRRW Henry Leman 1/2 stock Indian trade Rifle

[Linked Image]

Nice!
Remington Mod 700 6mm...
My old 700 .300WM.. I have had it since the 70's, for many years it was my main big game cal.. My wife took over my old 06 that was my first big game rifle.. Now I have shot deer with dozens of calibers.. My second place deer slayer was our 7mm Rem. Mag. , then my old 30-06, then a .25-06, 257 Wea. and my .22-250... Fun looking at that old stuff up..
Like some posters, in my case it gets watered down. My favorite deer rifle is the one I’m using at the time. And they get rotated enough that no certain one dominates. I guess that’s another Loony symptom.

DF
As far as RIFLES go, its a toss-up between Ruger 77-Rs and Winchester 70s. It's probably even money with them. As far as cartridges, the .270 Winchester has accounted for over half, and the rest are split between .30/06, 7mm Mauser,.25/06, .243 Winchester, and .30/30 and .44 Mag.

The .270 cartridge has killed more stuff for me than anything else. It's only "gay" if someone else is using it.
remington 788 left hand in 6mm remington
An old Marlin 336 .30-30.
T/C Encore. Mostly inline barrel, a few with a 7-08 barrel, several with an 06 barrel, one with .460 barrel.
Browning B78, .25-06
1968 Model James Earl Ray.
early 1980's model REM 700 BDL 270 WIN with a early 1990's Tasco 3-12x52 euro

killed at least 100 deer with that rifle. I hunted west texas from 1982-1996, always killed my 3 deer, then it went to 4 deer per person per year.

still got the rifle, but not the scope, it wears a L now.
I believe I've killed 15 whitetails with my 700 LSS 30-06 AI, all of them with 150 gr BTs. Haven't killed a deer with that rifle in about 10 years, been too busy playing with other toys.
Originally Posted by DHN
Browning B78, .25-06

There's a rifle I wouldn't mind having! Never shot one, but IMO the nicest looking rifle Browning came out with. And in my favorite deer cartridge!
I've used one rifle since 1993 for deer. It's a Remington model seven in 308. However during that time period, more than 50% were killed with either my muzzle loader or bow.
25-06
300WSM
Owned a fair number of deer guns, killed most with shotgun.
But for rifles........Thompson Center Hawken Silver Elite.
Popped a couple with Contender Carbine in 35 rem, but said screw break opens and got a Ruger #1.
It's my main rig now, but I've only taken one deer with it so far (nothing big enough to shoot last yr).
6.5 Swed Mauser and a couple with a 308.
CZ550 in .270 Winchester...don't even own it anymore. My McVZ-24(8x57) will catch up eventually.
i have killed more deer with handguns than rifles. The rifle that gets the nod most often is a Rem 722 in 300 savage when I have to hunt a rifle.
Rem 7600 in 30-06. First real rifle I bought. Got it in 1985 and have killed at least one deer a year with it.
Patrick
Remington Model 7 chambered in 7MM08. I hunt with a variety of rifles but this one is my all time favorite for whitetail. It has also taken antelope and coyotes. I've owned two at one time but gave one to my son years back.
A Kimber Classic Select in .243.

It was never by design. I actually bought it thinking it would be a good gun for my boys to shoot, but neither wanted anything to do with an "old man's" wood and blue gun once they discovered 'black guns.'

So I went on a little spree and killed 9 deer with it over the course of two or three years.

But, again, it was just a fluke. For example, I shot 4 deer last year with 4 different guns.

Heck, I bet I haven't even hauled that Kimber out of the safe in at least 4, maybe 5 years. I'm going to get it up on the classifieds one of these days.
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Originally Posted by DHN
Browning B78, .25-06

There's a rifle I wouldn't mind having! Never shot one, but IMO the nicest looking rifle Browning came out with.

No greater style exists in the rifle industry than a B78/1885.
By far a Model 700 Remington in 6.5X55. For quite a spell it was the only rifle I owned.
Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Bought it back in the early 80s. Still my go to gun. I originally had a Tasco 1-3.5 on it. Now I have a Burris Fastfire III on it. I have a lot of other guns now that I could take. But at end of the day, that’s what I gravitate to.
I've had a few rigs.
Think I killed 4 or 5 deer with this one before dumping it and getting my TC Hawken Silver Elite.
Cheap MZ and scope.........worked great.
LOL...........my kid is almost 30 now.
Yeeesh
[Linked Image]
Deer, pigs and antelope. A 7x57 Mexican Mauser with a "sporterized" original stock, 4x Bushnell Banner, factory Remington 140s. It was all I could afford at the time; late 70s, most of the 80s. That's one I'd like to have back.
I actually just had time to think about this a bit last night. I'm fairly sure that I've killed the most deer with archery. LOL. Over 100 when I quit counting.
It's probably a toss up between two rifles.

The older of the two is a sporterized Oberndorf 98 in 7x57 Mauser. I was working for the years that I carried it and generally got a deer or sometimes two with it for over a decade. The second is a Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA in 270 WSM. While not owning it as long as my 7x57, I was retired when I purchased it and there is an abundance of deer on the farm that I now hunt with it. The game laws have also changed, allowing us to take three deer instead of one to two.

I haven't hunted with the 7x57 in quite a few years, I kind of miss doing that. I just haven't had a suitable property to hunt that suits the rifle well.

Dan
Ruger .257 Roberts
Remington 725 in .270 Win. caliber... Bought the rifle in 1960 and been hunting with it ever since.. Lost track of the number of deer I have shot with it, but all but one have been one shot kills.. A large Mule Deer in Colorado required two shots because he didn't know he was dead yet and I gave him a 2nd. shot just to be sure..
The one rifle I tend to reach for more and, the one that has taken the most deer, is my Win Model 70 in 338WM.
I have more than 30 rifles, and this is the one that I gravitate towards subconsciously, I guess.

The one rifle that has taken the most deer in a day is completely different though, it’s my Ruger M77 MK II in 25-06, doing culling work it took 18 fallow deer in an afternoon, I had only 20 rounds on hand, too. All done with Noslers 115gr Partition, every one was DRT.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Only keeping a rifle 3 years, you are infected with the scourge of the campfire.

Beneficial for us downstream opportunists.
A sporterized 1903 Springfield that I inherited from my uncle. I put it in a B&C stock and a Timney trigger. It had come in a very heavy, blocky old-style walnut stock with the original trigger. It shoots very well, and I have actually shot most of my deer while on elk hunts. It seems like when I carry that rifle, I see deer. Most of them were shot with 180 partitions or Interlocks. Interestingly, I usually pick another rifle now when I am specifically hunting deer.

The most game of any variety that I have shot has been with a Remington BDL in .300 mag. Lots of pigs, an antelope or two, my biggest buck and all but one of my elk, which was shot with a muzzleloader.
I have killed every deer since 1980 (at least 30 of them) with my Rem 7mm Mag using plain old green box Core-Lokt ammo in 150 grain. My first in 1980 and my last in 2014.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My old .300 WM.. For years it was the only big game rifle I used...
Remington 700 BDL in 280 Rem with now discontinued 140 grain Nosler Flat Base.
30-06 !
Originally Posted by Crazydog
I have killed every deer since 1980 (at least 30 of them) with my Rem 7mm Mag using plain old green box Core-Lokt ammo in 150 grain. My first in 1980 and my last in 2014.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Crazydog...seeing you haven't posted on here but a couple times. Unless you have been reading the forum for a while, you might not yet know that the Core-Lokts no longer kill deer like they once did. The BC isn't high enough for one thing. They're not fast enough as they rarely meet the advertised speed. They just don't expand like the new stuff does, etc. The deer haven't found out yet, but the hunters are ahead of the game (pun intended). So, you will learn. One day soon, as soon as the deer find out they can no longer fall dead with the CL's, they will simply walk off when shot with the old green box ammo. However, until the deer know what many shooters already know, I will continue to shoot them. Everyone in my part of LA knows that these WT's around here are not exceptionally bright.

PS...nice pics. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Fire!
Many a different cartridge used by hunters here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Crazydog...seeing you haven't posted on here but a couple times. Unless you have been reading the forum for a while, you might not yet know that the Core-Lokts no longer kill deer like they once did. The BC isn't high enough for one thing. They're not fast enough as they rarely meet the advertised speed. They just don't expand like the new stuff does, etc. The deer haven't found out yet, but the hunters are ahead of the game (pun intended). So, you will learn. One day soon, as soon as the deer find out they can no longer fall dead with the CL's, they will simply walk off when shot with the old green box ammo. However, until the deer know what many shooters already know, I will continue to shoot them. Everyone in my part of LA knows that these WT's around here are not exceptionally bright.

Thanks for the welcome. I was a lurker for quite a while. I'm glad our mule deer can't read or access hunting forums. whistle
For years I lived next to a muzzleloader/shotgun only zone in Montana (there aren't many of them) and killed up to 5 whitetails a year with a .54 cal Lyman Plains rifle cap gun. It was generally <40 yard proposition. I'd just sit with my back to a big 'ol cottonwood in the afternoon and wait for deer to start moving closer to dark. Iron sights, round ball, eat right up to the hole! Nothing complicated about it... it just takes time, and some days not even much of that!
We use a bunch of different calibers. I have a Winchester 73 in 38-40. It was made in 1884. I’m planning on sitting in my bow stand this fall to kill a doe. It the only rifle I own that hasn’t been hunting with me.
Used a Model 70 in 243 for about 25 years then went to a 270 and now only use 6.5s. (6.5x55, 6.5x285, 6.5 Creedmoor)
[Linked Image]

This old girl is on her 3rd barrel...Sako AV in 300 Wby with a new Lilja flute tube. Went with a KDF Slimline break this time around. Guess, I’m getting soft in the shoulder with age. Killed a lot of deer and elk with this one...😎
It’s down to two rifles for me and I can’t be for sure which one I killed more deer with. The rifles in question, both no longer owned by me, are an old sporterized Lee Enfield in British 303 and a Ruger Mark II all weather in .243
2005 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant original barrel...0 deer
2006 308 Sav99 Weaver 2.5 post someone else rebarreled....0 deer
2007 270 pre 64 M70 I rebarreled.....0 deer
2008 270 pre 64 M70 I rebarreled....5 deer [my first deer at age 57]
2009 270 pre 64 M70 I rebarreled....4 deer
2010 7mmRM Ruger #1 original barrel...3 deer
2011 7mmRM VZ24 I rebarreled... 1 deer 1 antelope
2012 257 Roberts Ackley Improved Rimmed Uberti 1885 I rebarreled.. 4 deer
2013 7mmRM Rem700 I rebarreled... 1 deer
2014 7mmRM Brown1885 1 deer 1 antelope
2015 300WM 1 deer Mosin Nagant I reballed , 6.5-05 Mauser In barrelled 2 deer
2016 6mmBR Rem 700 I rebarreled 2 antelope, Win M70 25-06 I rebarreled 1 deer
2017 7mmRM Rem 700 I rebarreled 4 deer
For rifles it would have to be my Rem 700 Mnt rifle SS in .338-06.
Cartridge wise it would be the 7mm-08.
Dating my self here, Model 70 FWT 270, purchased new for me by my Father in 1962. I was a very lucky kid. Still in the front row of the safe. Still scoped with the original Weaver 4X steel tube.
Dating my self here, Model 70 FWT 270, purchased new for me by my Father in 1962. I was a very lucky kid. Still in the front row of the safe, scoped with the original Weaver 4X steel tube. Hang tag says $139.95, a lot of money back then for a working guy like my Dad. He is missed.
Rem 700 BDL in 25-06 bought used at LGS back in the early 90's. Has accounted for over 30 deer between myself, my kids, my friends and their kids. It is called the "meat gun" for a reason. Also has over 40 coyotes, 3 bobcats, a fox or two, a couple 100 prairie dogs and crows and a couple of hogs.
Ruger M77R, Tang safety purchased in 1978. The grand daddy .30-06 with Hornady Frontier 150 gr spirepoints. I remember buying them on sale for $3.79 a box. Then started reloading. IMR4895 and 150 gr sierra spitzer boat tails
Remington 700 bdl in 300 win mag. 180 Sierra pro hunter bullets. I like a good blood trail no matter how far away they are shot. Ed k

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the welcome. I was a lurker for quite a while. I'm glad our mule deer can't read or access hunting forums. whistle

that is cool and welcome!
Rem 700. 6mmWSM. 55 grain ballistic tips.
Mossberg model 500 20 gauge. Grew up in a shotgun only area in Minnesota. Smith and Wesson model 1500 7mm rem mag since. Generally with those useless core-lokts! cool
Wow! This a tough question, I have owned probly 50 to 60 deer rifles over the years and never kept any one rifle much past 3 or 4 years, but I did have a Remington 700 Mountain rifle chambered in 30-06 back in the 80's that I Kept for 6 years or so, I killed 10 or 12 deer with it so I guess that would be the one....Hb
I haven't done more than one with a single rifle yet. I love to rotate and tinker. Had a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport with a big grill guard that killed two, though!

BLR in 7mm08
without a doubt, Winchester classic compact in .308. I have been using it for years and years here in Minnesota - some of those years when we could take up to 5 deer a season (no more though). Never failed to perform. Most deer dead right there. A great little rifle.
Killed one deer with a '94 .30-30, and one with a M98 .30-06.

Killed a chit-load of caribou (75+) and moose (10+) with the '06, however. smile. that is caliber - and others with various rifles, various calibers. I do favor the M98 or Ruger 77 platform. Have a Rem. 700 and 725, also. Maybe one day I'll buy a Win 70...
My ol' Win 88 in .308...Don't break it out much anymore but it has a lot of stories..

[Linked Image]
Winchester model 70 featherweight in .270 with a leupold 2.5x8 vx3
Ruger model 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum “Made in the 200th year of American Liberty” tang safety. Has put 3 shots inside a dime several times 30+ deer, several elk & a boar to its credit.
5 with my Weatherby Vanguard in 270 win. and 6 with the Remington 870 12 gauge.
Lost count how many deer died when my old Browning autofive spoke.
Being as I have switched around so often over the last 40 years between 270 WIN, 308 WIN, and 30-06 SPRG it is one of those three.
Lots of Rem 700’s
My Ruger m77 in 308, manlicher style, great bolt for the big woods
Remington BDL 700
Originally Posted by groundhunter
My Ruger m77 in 308, manlicher style, great bolt for the big woods

That's the one model 77 I don't have that I would like to own. Since I don't have a 308, that would be fine with me since they are hard to find around here...the old red pad tang safeties, that is.
Sakos are the brand I’ve killed the most with!
After 11 pages we seem to have drifted from the OP. I answered at to the specific rifle I used, not the model or cartridge.
my old ruger tang safety m77 3006 that has been upgraded from the red pad to a soft limbsaver.

the ruger has been challenged by others after becoming a gun looney and reading stuff here making me "want" other stuff. Browning xbolt in 3006 is threatening the ruger position
Remington 700 BDL or Savage 12FV. I would have to think long and hard to get a count on number of deer killed w each.
Browning BAR in 30-06.
Originally Posted by humdinger
my old ruger tang safety m77 3006 that has been upgraded from the red pad to a soft limbsaver.

the ruger has been challenged by others after becoming a gun looney and reading stuff here making me "want" other stuff. Browning xbolt in 3006 is threatening the ruger position

Humdinger-I don't let what others say about the old tang safeties bother me. I have enough experience to know that I have never had one, out of about 20 or so I've own and many of them I still have, that didn't do everything I have asked of them without a failure. But I have noticed, that in the threads about what everyone's favorite rifles are, the Rugers hold their own as the closet 77 guys come out in the open...lol.
Remington 700 ADL, a .270
An old ruger tang safety m77 .30-06 I purchased in 1978 or 1979. Bought it on sale for $199.00 at a place called ZCMI's in Ogden Ut.

I've taken more game with that than any other rifle. It's #1 for deer and #2 for elk count. I've taken roughly 15-20 mule deer and 5-6 whitetails with it. Shooting mostly the old Hornady Frontiers loads with 150 gr SP's.

#1 elk rifle is a .54 cal muzzle loader. It's accounted for 9 elk in AZ. The Ruger accounted for 6 elk in UT if my memory serves me correctly.
I have shot deer with everything from the Hornet to the 45-70.. Lots with the .30-30 and 25-35, but I have killed the most with my .300 WM and 7mm RM simply because when I was shooting lots of deer those were the only rifles I had.. My wife used my old 06 during that time.. It is probably 3d.. My biggest whitetails were killed with a .300 WM and a .340 Wea. I usually hunt only open country any more.. But hunted W. Va. and Pa. a lot over the first years of this century.. Used my .25-06. 270, and 7mm08 quite a bit then, but had a long range .300 built for some of that hunting..
Rem 700 BDL .270 . Was my only center fire rifle for 20 years. Have a bunch of others now but still reach for it the most. I'm confident in it!
Ruger M77 mk2 stainless/synthetic 30-06
With a variety of ammo. Never lost one with it.
Bought the gun/scope in 1999
Over the years, by far, it’s Ruger 77s in all three renditions: the original with the tang safety, the Mk II, and the Hawkeye. My favorite of the three? The Mk II by far. And in stainless steel by even farther! The last two years I’ve used a Kimber 84m and a Tikka T3x Lite, but Rugers are still my favorites.
Remington 700 in .280.
30-06
Remington 700, .270
Remington 700 BDL Varmint in .22-250
30-06 in a 98 Mauser.
A 1976 Ruger M77 257Roberts. During my peak deer hunting years, it was the lightest weight game rifle I owned. If walking was involved, it was the chosen rifle. Not a particularly accurate rifle, but it killed 43 whitetails with 43 bullets.
Abolt lefty in 270. What a killing machine. I rarely name rifles, but named her.
I wish Ruger made the tang safety 77 in left hand. Good action for a 9.3
Far and away my Winchester Model 70 Compact Classic in .308 with Bausch Elite 3000 3 x 9 scope using my handloaded ammo with Nosler 180 grain Partition bullets and IMR 4064 powder and Winchester primers.
Win model 70 fwt in 30-06
Remington 700 ADL 7mm Express (.280 Remington) using either Speer 160 grain spitzer boattails or 175 grain Nosler Partitions.
Thompson Center 50 cal percussion muzzle loader.

[Linked Image]
7 Mags of various configurations.

140g Nosler ballistic tips
65-66g of IMR 4350
Rem case
Rem 9 1/2
touch the lands with the bullet
3200 fps
Shoots 1/2" or less
Just joined the forum. I'm still using the same browning abolt stainless stalker in .270 win that I've been using since 1998. I kill on average 4 or 5 deer a year with it. It has served me well. Prior to that I was using a Remington 7400 .243 for a few years. I keep tinkering with getting a new rifle but with 3 kids and 1 on way deer stands and blinds make more since to spend money on. Bought my oldest a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 last year, and he killed 1 buck and 4 does on his first year shooting. I'm sure with 4 kids all future guns for a while will be for the kids.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

[Linked Image]

Hey, Longbeardking, is that buck from Anticosti Island?
Good of you lugnut keep them in the woods
30-40 krag
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

[Linked Image]

Hey, Longbeardking, is that buck from Anticosti Island?

Not by a long shot. Pardon the pun. It came from the most northern town in NH. Pittsburg, NH.
In centerfires, probably more with a variety of .30-06's than anything else. When it comes to other cartridges/rifles I tend to whack one with it then retire it in favor of another flavor thereafter. As for the gun I killed more deer with than any other single gun, that would be a custom muzzle loader I built 25 years ago- .45 half-stock percussion gun, copy of an Ohio-style Vincent rifle. 70 grains FFFg and a patched round ball is pure death in the thick Eastern deer woods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I try to get blood on a new gun (or old gun with a new barrel) every year. I do remember 1 year having an abundance of both deer and antelope doe tags.
T/C Encore with 24" Custom Shop 260 barrel. Routinely boring to shoot - everything I point it at falls over dead.
Winchester compact classic Model 70 in .308. Nosler partitions. 180 grains.
© 24hourcampfire