Home
Posted By: captdavid 7mm partitons vs interlock - 09/15/18
I hunt deer, both Whitetails and exotics, mainly does. A large one will weigh, gutted, not much over 120lbs. Most are around 100lbs or less. I mainly hunt with a 7x57 using 150 partitions @ 2750fps. I've been using them because I bought a lot of blems cheap and they work well expanding on our small deer. I'm about out and the prices are high. I'm a retired school teacher and cost is a consideration. I have considered changing to the Hornady 154 interlock because of the price differential. I wonder how they will compare to the partitions on small deer? what are your opinions of the performance of the two? thanks capt david
There is nothing to compare. The Partition. Big or small it handles them all.
Originally Posted by captdavid
I hunt deer, both Whitetails and exotics, mainly does. A large one will weigh, gutted, not much over 120lbs. Most are around 100lbs or less. I mainly hunt with a 7x57 using 150 partitions @ 2750fps. I've been using them because I bought a lot of blems cheap and they work well expanding on our small deer. I'm about out and the prices are high. I'm a retired school teacher and cost is a consideration. I have considered changing to the Hornady 154 interlock because of the price differential. I wonder how they will compare to the partitions on small deer? what are your opinions of the performance of the two? thanks capt david

While I really like the partition. There's no reason to not use an interlock on deer. And according to the OP, A smallish one at that. Now if you said you were going to use them on elk, I'd lean more towards the partition. However for Deer: use the interlock if it's cheaper and shoots good in your rifle..
no need for a Partition for deer at 2750 fps. Hornadys, Sierras, Speers...all work well.
You wont be able to tell the difference between the two on deer at those speeds...
I made a 7X57 for myself years ago and I killed a hand full of deer and one elk with it. It was a great rifle and a great round. I did use the 154 Hornady on deer quite a few times. Big Nevada mulies. I never had a problem with one. No complaints at all.

I also am a fan of Partitions, and if money were no object I would just standardize on them, but to be honest the 154 Innerlock was a fine deer bullet.

It's the hole that kills game and a hole of the same diameter that goes in and out of a deer is going to kill it, no matter what bullet you use to put it there. The Nosler partition is my 1st choice on elk because the size makes for a need for the deepest penetration I can get, but up to about 275 pounds, the 7X57 with 154 grain Hornadys killed all the deer I ever shot, and I never had one stay in the deer. So how would a partition be "better"?
It's not until the need for greater penetration is called for, (bigger game) and from you post, it doesn't sound like that's a problem for you

Try um....you'll like them.
I’d just keep an eye on the Shooters Pro Shop and stock back up on 150 Partitions for the price of Interlocks. No slight against Interlocks but Partitions at 2nds prices don’t stink.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d just keep an eye on the Shooters Pro Shop and stock back up on 150 Partitions for the price of Interlocks. No slight against Interlocks but Partitions at 2nds prices don’t stink.

Well not exactly a price match, $19.65 for 50 compared to around $24.00 for 100 Innerlocks.
I wouldn't worry about it for small deer, or any deer for that matter. I used to wind those 154s up in an STW or 3 and shoot moose and elk with them. Big northern whitetail and mule deer don't have a chance. I also used a lot of 139s and they killed deer faster.

A flat based Interlock doesn't have much to apologize for.
The 7x57 works so well as it is in a sweet spot velocity wise to work with a wide range of bullets. Save the Partitions for Elk or Nilgai and stock up on Hornaday or Speers.

I would look for bulk or blem sales of the Hornaday. I tested old Nosler partitions with the Hornaday and it did close to what the partitions were doing on penetration but lost more weight, still the Hornaday's would not completely separated even when shot into a clay bank after going through about 20 inches of wet paper. These were the 160 & 175s in 7mm.

Others are bulk Remington Core lokts and even Privy Partisan the PP will surprise you in their performance as they don't look like much. I would not hesitate to use any of these in the 7x57 for South Texas with the aforementioned Nilgai as a game changer.
I killed a whole bunch of pennyslvania whitetails with 139 and 154 grain interlocks. To be honest you would have to be shooting at animals over 400 pounds before I would think that you would even need to think about switching from an interlock to a partition.
I see no reason to use Partitions or other premium bullets for deer. After many years of hunting, I now have different caliber rifles for different size game animals, although there is often an overlap with each rifle on the game that I am hunting. I usually develop a hunting load with a certain bullet for each rifle based on the largest animal that I think I will be hunting with that rifle. Then everything that I hunt with that rifle will be using that bullet.

For about the last 40 years my deer and pronghorn rifle has been my .257 Roberts Improved shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKings, 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, or 120 grain Hornady HP bullets. Most were one shot kills, including my Dall and all of my Bighorn rams and one of my best 6x6 bull elk that were all shot with the Sierras.
Shoot what you have faith in is and has been my "rule of thumb" that I've attempted to pass along to new shooter's and loaders here locally and are words I live by.

Even for our Hoosier 125-225 lb dressed out deer the only bullet I will be using over 140 grains is the 154 gr Round nose........just because old stuff seems to fit my ways but only on short range woods hunts. Not saying it WONT whack em and stack em "out there" I just have more confidence in 140 grain ballistics and what Ive seen in bullet performance.

While I HAVE a box of 140 NPTs for my 7x57 and may whack one with them just to say I have, Remington Core Lokt 140s have "been there, done that" for a very long time too. Same for "innerlock" bullets. Dang near the same bullet IMHO. I'm just a Remington nut. Honorable mention from my opinion is the Speer Hot Core bullets.

I also have the much heralded 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip to test out yet before season too but.........if I were to pick one bullet for our deer hunting or any deer hunting.......it would be a standard cup and core 140 grain.

I'll concur that Partitions are a "better" bullet..........I just don't require a better bullet

Just for my own impromptu testing I might shoot a deer with one load/bullet and switch just to "test" them all in real world use, but I know that most times neither I nor the deer will be able to see the difference.

Always fun to play with all the options but, in my heart, I know that average (2700-2800 plus or minus) velocity cup and core bullets will produce brown and down deer at ranges past what I'll ever wish to shoot. Ain't broke so...........eh

The 150s I'm sure are good bullets too. Any of the mentioned bullets that have been good sellers for decades and decades.........is for a reason.

Pick your poison. They all are lethal as heck on a deer.

2 cents only
God Bless
Steve
I took several bears with 180 partitions and interlocks in the 30-06. While not a .284” diameter, the were moving at the velocity you noted. I could tell no difference in the killing that they did. Only difference was if I recovered one, the interlock usually weighed more. I’d use interlocks on dam near anything at that speed. .02
I would stick with what works regardless of price. If you're hunting Whitetails you prolly shoot what, 8 rounds in a season?
In terms of accuracy my 7x57 prefers the 154 grain Hornady Interlock rather than the Nosler Partitions so I don't argue with it. I have no complaints on the bullet's performance on deer.
I've probably shot more deer with Partitions from a .300 WM, 7 RM, 7mm-08, and .308 than anything else, but that was then. The problem wasn't killing a deer with them, it was finding the deer with them. There was always a dead deer or elk at the end of the trail and their lung tissue strained through my fingers, but what went out the back side of the deer was the fully expanded peeled back rear half of that Partition and the deer left poor blood trails. Contrast that to my last Interlock deer and I had a great blood trail starting only 5 feet from where the deer stood and a golf ball size exit wound. In your case I'd shoot the 139 grain Interlock or if battering in the magazine is an issue like it was with my 7mm-08, I'm using 139 grain SST's now. The last deer with those fell in his tracks.
been using 139 gr interlocks out of a 7-08 for many yrs on deer up to 200 lb - works great, 1 shot kills - i see no reason to change
The interlocks will easily do everything you need them to for your needs.

Save your money and use Interlocks.
For the size deer you mentioned, you should strongly consider the 139 gr. Interlock because it will shoot through both shoulders and make the lungs mush even with a muzzle velocity of only 2550 fps. Less expense and less recoil, what's not to like?

[Linked Image]
Partition, hands down, the best!
I've only shot one whitetail with a Nosler Partition in my 7x57. It was a Federal factory round. Worked wonderfully.

Once I started reloading, I found that the Partitions were too costly, having a new baby in the house. I used 154 grain Hornady Interlocks because they were cheaper and they've never let me down in over two decades. I've even used the 140 grain Interlocks in a 270 WSM without issue.

Use the Hornady Interlocks in your 7x57 with confidence, they won't let you down.

Dan
My sons hunt with 270s and 130 partitions loaded to 2830 fps. This was a load i developed 25 years ago when they were 14 years old. It has been so effective on deer ( hammer of Thor) we have never changed the load. For the last two seasons I have used a 7mm08 with 139 gr hornady flat based at 2775 fps. It has been just as effective on deer as the partition, but we have not recovered one yet. All shots have been 200 yards or less.
I can tell you the 139 grain Interlocks as launched from my friend's 7mm08 handle NW Louisiana deer/pigs quite nicely.

My info for the 154 on deer is much older, but I can't see why they wouldn't be great today.
Shoot the one that shoots the best in your rifle. They are both excellent bullets. However, unless the heavier bullets just shoot better, you can lighten up a little with 140’s in the Partition and the 139 gr. Interlock on what you plan to hunt. Heck, my bullet of choice from my 7mm-08 weighs 120 grains (BT) and works great. But, it’s your money and your rifle, so shoot what you want to shoot. They’ll all work great.
if you go on the Hornady website the 139 and 154 interlock are listed as being appropriate for game up to like 800 pounds. Your worried about killing a deer with them?
I agree that the partition is one of the best bullets on the market but for whitetails, the Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 140 or 150 will do wonders on WT's. Accuracy is normally better with the ballistic tip and don't let what some will say about the BT blowing up. Nosler changed the BT years ago. Keep the BT at normal speeds around 2700-2800 or even slower.

My wife and I have an elk hunt planned in Oct and she will be shooting a 7x57 with the same load you like, A 7x57 with 150 Partitions at approx. 2750.
Call me traditional, nostalgic or whatever. Just be nice. I just can't use poly tipped in my FN commercial 7x57. Be that as it may, When I first began reloading for the gun I had various 139-140grn bullets some 120BTs plus a few 150grn partitions. Long story short, the 150PTs @2700fps shot best albeit I didn't try all that hard with the others. In a combination of three and five shot groups(10+) it has averaged 1.25" groups. For a basically stock gun made 1954, that's good enough for me. I think I've decided to try the interlocks. I'm not the least worried about penetration, I just hope they open up on the smaller deer. captdavid
The 139's work fine on 130 pound on the hoof does.
79inpa . I'm not worried about penetration on large deer or pigs. I'm worried that they won't open as quickly on our small deer as the Partitions. capt david
Originally Posted by captdavid
79inpa . I'm not worried about penetration on large deer or pigs. I'm worried that they won't open as quickly on our small deer as the Partitions. capt david

You can always try the Nosler Ballistic Tip or Hornady SST if you're worried about expansion on small deer. I've loaded the 120 grain BT for my kids in the 7x57. I got a very accurate 2900 fps. Kills deer both near and far. I tried the 154 grain SST but I had to run it slower than the flat based Interlock. The longer bearing surface of the streamlined SST raised pressures in my 98 Mauser. So I'm sticking with the Interlock with that rifle.

Both bullets mentioned are still cheaper than Partitions.

Dan
I haven't been able to get the 120BT, 140, BT, or several 139-140s to shoot very well. I'll admit, though, that after my first loads with the 150PTs shot around 1.25" I didn't try very hard. I guess I'll just 'bite the bullet' (pun intended) and buy some more Partitions. 'If it aint broke, don't fix it!' captdavid
A partition is never a bad choice.
The 154gr I have no experience with. But I will go so far as to guarantee the 139gr Interlock in your 7x57 will expand to the best of its ability on any deer you have occasion to shoot. Two cases in point. Wife shot a buck with her 7mm-08 and a hand loaded 139 with max charge of H4350 as printed in the Hornady manual. About a 50 yd broadside shot on a deer that weighed just over 100 lbs skinned and trimmed carcass the day after the shot. Blood and lungs scattered 12 or 15 feet behind the exit. Dead within sight. Son shot a 120lbish doe head on between the neck and left shoulder. Factory Hornady 7x57 139gr IL. Blew the lungs, penetrated the guts and hit the right femur hard enough to flat spot the expanded bullet core and jacket intact. Dead within sight. Can't see how a 140 Partition would have done any better. There's more but those sum it up.
Don't listen to the bullshit. Use JOHN NOSLER excellent bullet.
Originally Posted by shootem
Blood and lungs scattered 12 or 15 feet behind the exit..

Funny you mentioned this - one year i was shooting some does off a guys farm and had just shot one with a 308 150 gr interlock - there were pieces of deer in the crab apple branches 10 ft behind the deer. the farmer came up and saw that and said "what the hell did you shoot this with a bazooka?" - the interlocks do work on deer size animals.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Don't listen to the bullshit. Use JOHN NOSLER excellent bullet.

I would hardly call it bullshit...I’d love to use 140 NP. My gun doesn’t like them. I have tried about 1/2 dozen loads and it just won’t take. 139gr IL on the other hand are great. I’m going to try a few more for the NP’s in a few weeks. As well as 139 and 154gr IL’s since I have all on hand.
A 120 lb deer? Use what you want, it won't matter. Dead is dead, just don't shoot them in the butt.
If a interlock won't kill deer, nothing else will! I've only recovered one 154gr and it came from an elk. Shot through one shoulder, and recovered high in the off side ham next to the hide. The elk was between 80 to a 100 yards, my best guess. I don't remember how much it weighed. That was twenty years ago.
Originally Posted by Joe
For the size deer you mentioned, you should strongly consider the 139 gr. Interlock because it will shoot through both shoulders

Agreed
Long story short, read ingwe's response.
Posted By: Hesp Re: 7mm partitons vs interlock - 09/20/18
I see proper bullet placement of prime importance. Any reasonable bullet weight for a given cal will work if properly placed. A deer shot thru the guts with a .338 WM will run off if a properly placed follow up shot isn't made. Back in the late 1960's I bought several lbs. of Sierra factory seconds 6.5 120gr Spt. when Sierra was still at Santa Fe Springs, Calif.. At that time they were sold by the lb. Turned out to be about a 5lb coffee can full of bullets.Still have a good 300 left. We have taken mature muley buck's every year in our various 6.5's with no issue with these [Linked Image]120gr bullets. I assume had they been Hornady brand they would have delivered the same results.
Posted By: ChipM Re: 7mm partitons vs interlock - 09/29/18
My favorite deer bullet for where I hunt with my 7mm-08 is the 154 RN. Hit them right and they will go down with either
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm partitons vs interlock - 09/29/18
Go with Partition bullets. None better!
But he has concerns about the cost of paritions,...…………….Interlocks will kill those deer every bit as dead, every time, for less money.
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
But he has concerns about the cost of paritions,...…………….Interlocks will kill those deer every bit as dead, every time, for less money.

Shooter’s Pro Shop, buy one get one free.

They’re all I shoot when I use Nosler products.

P
I've used 139gr Hornady flat base, 140gr Corelokts, and now use 120gr Nosler BTs . They all work
I use my 7x57 for well over 50% of my hunting pigs and deer. If I know my shots will be around 100yds, I use 175RNs. If they might be further, I use the 150PTs. I just found 20 loaded 150Pts, so I'm not as short as I thought I was. There's no need to buy any bullets at this time. I'll just wait and buy from SPS when they have some. capt david
The Campfire makes my head hurt.

1/2 the members believe you need a Premium, tough bullet in a moderate 7mm for a small deer.

1/2 use target bullets in 243's for elk.

1/2 think a 223 is the perfect deer rifle.

1/2 think the 223 has Double D's.

I need an aspirin,
and a half.
Hornady's Interlock is the Cadillac of cup & core bullets - the best, in the opinion of many on this forum. I did a brief Campfire survey a couple of years ago about which cup & core bullet you would choose if it were the only one you could ever use for hunting, and the answer was overwhelmingly Hornady Interlock.

Now, any cup & core bullet will generally work well when used within its velocity limits - say max muzzle velocity 2800-2900 fps. But the Interlock has a reputation for working very well, and on game much larger than deer. You could do a search here on the Campfire and find people with decades of experience recommending the Interlock.

Buy a bundle and shoot a lot!

PS: yes, Ingwe nailed it - and in a lot shorter answer than mine!
© 24hourcampfire