Home
Posted By: Oregonmuley 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/01/18
Our deer season here in Oregon opened this weekend on Saturday. I was out in a new unit I've never hunted and didn't get a chance to scout much so no high expectations. I was with my fishing partner who is an older fellow so I put him in a choice spot in a small canyon that overlooks an alfalfa field. We figured if the deer got chased off the field they might come up his draw, sure enough about 7:30 a truck drives down the road along field and the deer started up the hill and his draw. He got this guy about 8:00 opening morning, he said there was another big 3x3 but this one offered the better shot so he took it. Nice sized healthy buck for only being a fork!!

He was kind enough to let me drag it out and pack it back to camp for him grin
Will be back up there this weekend to look for that big 3!!
Good luck all on your hunting - post up your pics!!!

[Linked Image]
Congrats!!! Very cool buck and a great start to the 2018 season.
Posted By: hanco Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/02/18
Very nice, went bow hunting last weekend, acorns are falling, we have a Live Oak every 40 feet. Deer feeding at night, tough hunting. I did get five with one shot. About the time the acorns are gone the pecans will start to fall. I will set a tripod up in the creek, try to catch them in the pecans.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My 11-yr-old just got his first deer on Saturday:

[Linked Image]

More detail here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...th-deer-hunting-in-virginia#Post13173840
Nice - now there is one happy kid!! Congrats to the young man on his buck!!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/03/18
I hiked a mile up to where I had planned to hunt opening morning and was there at day break. Less than 5 minutes later it was *almost* over. I was after a very large blacktail I found last season and was ready to pull the trigger when he ducked under an oak tree at 250, never to emerge. Passed up two 3x3's later in the day. I will go back after the big blacktail.
Great to be hearing fresh stories here guys. I have to wait another 4 weeks yet. Can't wait to get back in the woods. Nothing like a crisp morning on the opening day of deer season.
Posted By: tzone Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/03/18
No need to wait 4 weeks man. Grab the shotgun and a pocket full of shells.
Gotta love that smile on that young man. Congrats.
Posted By: MGunns Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/04/18
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

[Linked Image]

More detail here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...th-deer-hunting-in-virginia#Post13173840

great job!
Posted By: SKane Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/04/18
Frank,

Good on you for putting your pal in a good spot.
From the looks of him, the buck must have had access to some good eats.
Posted By: SKane Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/04/18
MarineHawk - congrats to the lad!
Originally Posted by SKane
Frank,

Good on you for putting your pal in a good spot.
From the looks of him, the buck must have had access to some good eats.

Yup, mostly lived in a huge field of alfalfa so should be good eating!! I'm leaving later today to see if i can find that 3x3 wink Think I might pull the old KS .280 out of the safe, always seem to get lucky when I take it after mule deer!!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/04/18
It's coming !

Freezing rain snow mix last night.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks Oregonmuley, diamondjim, & Mgunns. It was a big triumph for me to get to experience and watch.

I like your avatar Mgunns.
Posted By: RNF Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/06/18
Good of you to help you older friend, good luck with your hunt.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/06/18
Nice, love the kid's first deer.

It's 91 here today, season starts in a month.

[Linked Image]

CONGRATULATIONS!
Couldn't find the big 3 from last week but found this little guy early yesterday morning. And I'll admit I doubt I've been more nervous and shakey hunting than I was yesterday waiting for this buck to come into range and be able to get a shot. Felt just like a little kid again on my first hunt so although hardly a trophy buck I was happy to get him, especially with the bad luck I've had all deer season. Maybe have a chance in the dinkathon wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skeen Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/06/18
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Couldn't find the big 3 from last week but found this little guy early yesterday morning. And I'll admit I doubt I've been more nervous and shakey hunting than I was yesterday waiting for this buck to come into range and be able to get a shot. Felt just like a little kid again on my first hunt so although hardly a trophy buck I was happy to get him, especially with the bad luck I've had all deer season. Maybe have a chance in the dinkathon wink

[Linked Image]

Nice!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/07/18
I started without you guys...in May!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/07/18
Ingwe still stalking the Maharajah’s chittal again! Nice poobs!!!

Congrats to all the lucky hunters!!! Especially that young nimrod with his first!!! Well done!!!!
Posted By: baltz526 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/13/18
I spent my 12 day eastern Oregon season chasing a big buck. I scooped up some tracks to make soup with my tag.
Nice job all of you!!!
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/13/18
Today is the First Day of our Modern Gun season. It's for Private Land and Antlerless Only.
Our deer were moving at the break of light and I saw one on the 1/4 mile drive way before I could get parked. frown

I ALWAYS walk into the property, leaving truck and wheeler loaded. I stopped and checked the wind. It was supposed to be E, haha mad
it was SW. So I changed my plan and started sorta in the middle of the property and was hunting W-SW.

I bumped 3 as I topped a rise and they only trotted off. While I was stalking I felt the wind on the BACK of my neck - UH OH !
I was changing tactics when 2 more approached from the S headed N. I happened to be beside an Oak and small Cedar so I froze and they changed directions and fed toward me.

One was an Adult Doe and the other was a Yearling - last yrs. fawn . SO........

BAM grin 7:30 AM CDST.

[Linked Image]

This is the FIRST day to hunt my Tikka T 3X Lite SS 7mm RM and the FIRST shot at game ! !

I think I like it. wink

Jerry
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/13/18
I went this morning Private land doe hunt. Saw several shot a medium sized doe about 50 yards with the 35 Whelen. Heart and Tenderloin for supper tonight.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/13/18
I enjoy reading about folks hunts, especially the youths!

Went to GA for ML this morning...man it was good to be out. Didn't want to shoot what I saw so I enjoyed watching. Have plenty of time from not until Feb 10th!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/13/18
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Went to GA for ML this morning...man it was good to be out. Didn't want to shoot what I saw so I enjoyed watching. Have plenty of time from not until Feb 10th!

Yeah, ML starts on 3 Nov. A bunch of rubs have shown up in the past few days. Ain't seeing the buck at the apple trees, but the apples are gone. I'm sure he's the one making them.

I just hope it's cool, with a NW wind on the 3rd. My place sucks with a S or SE wind.
Nice work J!!!!!
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/13/18
Thanks W C H

Who said, "Happiness is a ..............."

[Linked Image]

Gutpile ! grin

Jerry
stuck a decent 9 point thursday night. meat in the freezer and another rack for the wall
Posted By: leesway2 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/14/18
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

[Linked Image]

As long as ya are or get shakey ya still got it. what ever it is I think its good.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/14/18
Congrats to all !
enjoyed reading the hunt stories
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 10/14/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yeah, ML starts on 3 Nov. A bunch of rubs have shown up in the past few days. Ain't seeing the buck at the apple trees, but the apples are gone. I'm sure he's the one making them.

I just hope it's cool, with a NW wind on the 3rd. My place sucks with a S or SE wind.

Wind got me busted once yesterday morning (that I know of, maybe more). Really no way around it on the mt sides.
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/09/18
Tomorrow Sat. Nov 10 is the opener of our Modern Gun season. In my zone it’s 5 weeks with 6 weekends.
From posts by others I know it’s opening day in a few other States too.

We had a few days of Mzl season in Oct. I don’t hunt Mzldrs but during that time I saw ONLY Does with Fawns.

Our temp has dropped to lows of @ 30* and highs in the 40-50s. I’m READY ! !

Good Luck to ALL this year.

Jerry
[Linked Image]

Got this guy as he was chasing a doe on the 3rd of Nov.

Rifle is a Montana Rifle Co. Campfire Special in 260 Remington. Load is 130gr Nosler Accubond over 44.5grs of IMR4350 at 2895fps.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/10/18
Very nice 7H

From last weekend in GA. He's a little young and I should have let him pass but I wanted to test the 129 ABLR....and just had an itchy trigger finger. Rifle is the 22" cerakoted/threaded 6.5 Fieldcraft:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by jwall
Thanks W C H

Who said, "Happiness is a ..............."

[Linked Image]

Gutpile ! grin

And Happiness is a Buck's Gutpile. grin

[Linked Image]

Today is our Opening Day of Regular Modern Gun Deer Season. It was our coldest day so far this Fall.
He was +/- 180 yds. Second Shot at game with Tikka T3X SS Lite 7 Mag. Bang - Flop.

[Linked Image]

He weighed 155 lbs.

I LIKE it. laugh

Jerry
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/11/18
Today was opening day. Shot a 9 point at 7am with the Wal-Mart weatherby.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/11/18
Yesterday was opening day for us. I passed on a a nice 8 earlier in the morning. Immediately regretted it after, decided to go down to where I last saw him and wait. Not too long after that this guy came walking through. Couldn’t really tell how big he was with the tangle of junk he was in. After shooting him I realized he was not the same 8 that disappeared into the briars and brambles an hour before. So I got a dink for 2018 lol. Also was the first blood for my .375 h&h.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Good stuff!! Some really nice bucks taken - congrats to all!!
Posted By: VoiceMan Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/11/18
Got a little forked horn muley last Wednesday the 7th at 200 yards with a .270 using 150 gr Nosler Partition. Not a big rack but will taste good! 😊
Posted By: huntinaz Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/12/18

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
huntinaz, Damn, that's been on my bucket list my whole life. One of these days I'll get out there and kill a big muley.

Congratulations.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/12/18
Thanks.

If you have any questions about the AZ draw, let me know.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/13/18
huntinaz

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't know you but ...... you SUK ! whistle
grin

Wow ! Them's sum niceuns ! ! ! Congrats.

Jerry
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/13/18
WY mule deer from this year.
Still after a whitetail in Montana.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/13/18
Some of you guys will have seen this already, posted elsewhere !

OK, deer (rifle) opener.

Lots of dry does, does & fawns seen in the morning sit.

I let 2 small bucks walk & Deb saw a good one, but never got a shot.

At 5:45, with the light fading, something made me lightly pull down my right side window.

Good deer, on hinds, licking a high branch !

Then the ensuing nightmare of shifting gear, setting up & shooting left handed out of the right side window, all without spooking the deer.

By the time I got back on the deer, he was quartering to me & knew the gig was up.

25-06 barks, good solid hit, deer hunches up & runs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

POA was just inside facing shoulder, to exit behind opposite shoulder.

You can see a tiny exit, mid body, slight blood leak.

Back story, had some issues getting my normal 115gr SST's shoot consistently & with no time left to dick around, I went to my usual fall back, 117gr Federal Fusion.

[Linked Image]

Bone & ribs going in, top of heart, lungs & creased the liver & 2 ribs going out of the cavity, found under hide !

Shank side, to show integrity of shank.

[Linked Image]

smile

Hung, gutted, skinned & cleaned up.

Butcher & vacuum pack on Thursday night, 'cause we leave for Europe on Wednesday evening.

crazy
Archery season !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/13/18
NICE 99.

I love hunting in snow. It doesn't happen often enuff here.

Jerry
Sure is Jerry !

Crazy thing is, that snow & bear kill was 2 weeks before my buck, with no snow !

crazy
Posted By: SKane Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Nebraska.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Scott...YOU SUCK! laugh
Posted By: battue Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Nice. Congrats!!!!

Looks like the weather cooperated.
Posted By: battue Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Bears and bows!!!! Well done!!!!
Posted By: roundoak Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Nice one, Scott. Congrats. Details later?
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Nebraska.

Didn’t you get the memo ?

Nebraska doesn’t count ! whistle
grin

Congrats

Jerry
Posted By: Odessa Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18

[Linked Image]

I enjoy reading all the hunting stories and seeing all the kill pictures, but seeing a kid get his first deer is the best - congratulations to this young man!
Posted By: Odessa Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
We moved a couple hours away, down to the coast, about a month ago and that has crimped my style this season. Only been able to go for two and a half days so far but have managed two does (one in late October and one yesterday). I plan to buck hunt next week for three days, rut timing is good this season. Been using my old M88 in 308 WIN, used a heart shot on the first doe and a neck shot on the second one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skeen Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Nebraska.

[Linked Image]

Nice buck, Skane! I scored in Missouri too but the pics only qualify for the "Dink" thread I fear. blush
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
Nebraska.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful deer Scott !
Lots of great deer taken!! Congrats to all so far - keep them coming!!

Oh and nice buck Scott.
Posted By: tzone Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/15/18
My boy connected on a Mulie doe in the Black Hills, SD
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I found a buck in the Black Hills, SD
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The kid caught up to one in MN.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ihookem Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/20/18
Tzone, i take it you had a good time in South Dakota. How did you do in Minnesota and Douglass co.?
Posted By: tzone Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
Originally Posted by ihookem
Tzone, i take it you had a good time in South Dakota. How did you do in Minnesota and Douglass co.?

I didn’t hunt in MN this year. Up in Douglass Co we are doing ok. My daughter shot her first deer. A nice doe. My son and I are looking for bucks here still. We came back for turkey but will be in the woods tomorrow morning. I jumped a rack going to a blind on Monday afternoon. My son has seen 2 spikes so far. I’ve only seen a few deer in WI this year. My son has seen quite a few more.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
Here’s my Alberta bush buck from a couple days ago. Good feeling when you put in the time and hike back in off the roads to get your deer.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
D A N D Y ! !

Also one of my FAV rifles. KOOL.

Jerry
Posted By: skeen Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
Originally Posted by harv3589
Here’s my Alberta bush buck from a couple days ago. Good feeling when you put in the time and hike back in off the roads to get your deer.

[Linked Image]

Very, very nice!
Posted By: Odessa Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
Rob, nice buck, nice rifle, nice picture.
Posted By: McClura Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
Got this buck opening morning, last Saturday in NW Oklahoma. Right after light a couple of die worked their way through some timber across a creek from me and then I saw this one tracking their scent. When he crossed the drainage in front of me and stopped at about 120 yds, shot him with a 150 gun Accubond with my HS Precision bolt pistol in 300 SAUM. Bang , flop right there. Entered left right behind shoulder and came out opposite side in front of shoulder. Not much left of the right shoulder.
140 lbs and in the freezer now. Going back tomorrow with two doe tags and my 6.5 JDJ pistol. Need more meat for Chili and jerky.
Mike
[Linked Image]
Posted By: harv3589 Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/24/18
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by harv3589

[Linked Image]

Very, very nice!

Originally Posted by Odessa
Rob, nice buck, nice rifle, nice picture.

Originally Posted by jwall
D A N D Y ! !

Also one of my FAV rifles. KOOL.

Jerry

Thanks! Feels good when you put boots to ground and work hard for it
Posted By: efw Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/26/18
Wow man those forks! What a cool looking Whitetail congratulations!
Took a 7 pt. buck the second evening of my LBL Kentucky hunt, he only had two tines left on his rack all the others had been broken fighting with other presumably bigger bucks. I wasn't after a big rack and this deer's venison is really good eating. I saw two small 8 pts. and nine does in two days of hunting.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/26/18
Buddy did a slow push to me, saw a buck earlier headed my way and didn't hear me shoot.
Figured deer was down in the thicket between us.
I saw a squirrel tail flicker...........hell I had 15 around me all morning, mostly reds.
But this one was different.
Across the creek, behind stickerbushes was a blowdown. And I put the 4x on it.
Could be squirrel tail, could be deer ear. About 70 yards through woods.
Hmmm.
It disappears.
10 mins later a flick and I bring the scope up............still not 100% certain if squirrel tail or deer ear, but color/texture says most likely deer ear.
I turn to face the tree and get ready.

Wasn't too long and up pops the "squirrel tail" deer. Button crosses creek and trots past. Then out comes the 8 pointer.
I have the gun on right side of tree.........so of course he stops short and I'm locked up on wrong side.

He then guns it and I am gonna pop him in the close clearing below............but he veers before getting there.
Now he's running away on a trail.
I dump him.

Tried for base on neck on straight away. Dunno if hit low, his bouncing or what. But it hit next to spine at top of hip and went fwd.
Tried to get up and I put one through his chest.

I see my buddy back at the blowdown now, wave him over.

Now he's a northern boy, pretty mellow...........damn near catatonic.
But not this time.

Most animated I ever saw him.
He was pretty damn happy the push worked, was all wound up after seeing that deer and thinking it would amble my way.
When it didn't he got down and worked a push, which got him even more wound up.

But he did it right, nice and super slow. In spite of his anxiety LOL

To be fair, I put a nice buck right under him by doing a push, a big long one, a few years ago.
He owed me smile

Now I delivered a standing still 9 pt at 15 yards, moved that deer 200 yards or more.
He just got down and took a 100 yard stroll wink

I bought the .35 rem 760 off him a couple months ago.
We've been hunting together since elementary school.

Pretty cool.

Just a small 8 pt, maybe 100". But it was a fun little hunt. Been a bad year. Got meat in the freezer.
Not too shabby.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 2018 Deer hunting thread - 11/26/18
Pretty good dog, think I'll keep him LOL

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire