Home
Hey guys,

If you were looking for a brand new, off-the-shelf, 100 yard or less whitetail rifle which one would you pick? I'm thinking a 7600 carbine, BLR short action or a lever Marlin or Henry in .30-30. The thing is, I keep reading about quality issues with all of them. Just looking for a reliable rifle that is of decent quality these days.
Easy pick for me - 7600. Other's mileage will no doubt vary. grin
Whatever fast twist 223 I could find.
Like levers but the edge for me goes to the 7600. I wouldn't be concerned with reliability of a new 7600.
None of the above. Whatever you get needs to be chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Those things connect so many dots it's freakin unreal.
I'd get the Marlin 30-30.
7600 over a lever anything
10/10 votes for the 7600. The new Remington made marlin is a tank. If you want a marlin, get a used one. Actually, if you want a 7600, get a used one, 2009 or later.
if steelhead gives you advice don't take it
The 7600 is capable of much more than 100 yards. My dad has kills with his '06 out to 480 yards.

The 7600 is a very solid option. I love levers though.

At 100 yards you really can't go wrong with either. The 7600 in an 06 would give you the option of going further if you ever needed to though

-Jake
elel -

I’m typing this BEFORE I read any other responses.

“I” would look and find an ‘older” 7600 in a cartridge you like. For woods hunting any between 243 & 06 will do nicely.

I appreciate and like the 336 except for it’s weight. Also ‘older’ 336s are preferred.

I have ** had ** & like the BLRs too......so it boils down to your preference. (edit to add --- HAD)
Good Luck
—————————————

Now I’ve read the others and DID NOT change or edit my answer.

Jerry
If you're already considering the BLR and Henrys, you might take a look at the Henry Long Ranger in .308. Some similarity to the BLR. Don't have one, but have heard good things so far.

Personally, my lever guns are Savage 99s, but they're not an option if you want new production.
7600 . If I had to pick a chambering, I'd go 30-06.

The only downside to them is the @$#@$# magazine.
If I couldn't find a 7600 in 243 I'd definitely go with a 336 Marlin. Getting a 308 or 30-06 to hunt sub 100 yard deer doesn't make any sense to me.
I owned a henry 22 rifle that had so much plastic and poorly designed magazine retention systems that I wouldn't even look at anything else.

7600 is universal and I wouldn't get a carbine... carbine is too loud and velocity loss. The nice thing about a pump is your hands don't leave the stock. You would have a gun with mare range capability if needed.

Marlin 336 would be my other choice. Find a used one to get nicer wood. An old long barreled 336A is my preference.

A browning is tempting, but I would find a savage 99 just for the old red wool cool factor. 300 savage is a fantastic deer round.

Good luck in your quest and tell us if you buy one.
BLR and don't look back
If your hunting is under 100 yards, I would consider a 336 in 35 Rem, a BLR in 450 Bushmaster, or any 30-30.

I have never read of major issues with the BLR or Henry. I have two Henry’s which are rimfires and they are accurate and reliable. I am a browning fan and own several but never a BLR. I have read about issues with Remingtons, but sometimes things around here get blown a wee bit out of proportion just like sitting around a real campfire. I have not had any issues with the few Remingtons I’ve owned. I have witnessed issues with Marlin but that was 07-12 or 13 and I have read they are much better now but have not shot any new marlins.

Another good option would be an 1894 Marlin in 44 Mag. The 1894 is my favorite lever action. It’s thin, points well, scopes easily, simple to take apart for a lever action and they simply shoot well. The 44 mag will be the easiest to find and the cheapest. Ammo will be cheap and easy as well.
Any of the three you mentioned will work but like everyone else that doesn't just answer the question posed but will add their favorites, so will I. If it were me my first choice would be an original Winchester Model 71 .348 Win or one of the Browning copies, you could use the new Winchesters but they have that useless redundant safety on the tang. My second choice would be a Savage 99 in .300 Savage, it just plain works and they are pretty much everywhere at reasonable prices. My 2 cents.

If you are set on a Rem 7600 consider one in .35 Whelen
Originally Posted by humdinger
I owned a henry 22 rifle that had so much plastic and poorly designed magazine retention systems that I wouldn't even look at anything else.

7600 is universal and I wouldn't get a carbine... carbine is too loud and velocity loss. The nice thing about a pump is your hands don't leave the stock. You would have a gun with mare range capability if needed.

Marlin 336 would be my other choice. Find a used one to get nicer wood. An old long barreled 336A is my preference.

A browning is tempting, but I would find a savage 99 just for the old red wool cool factor. 300 savage is a fantastic deer round.

You sure won’t lose much velocity on a car one to matter. And no way in hell you’d lose so much that it would be the 30-30 range of the lever.
I have owned at least three examples of the models mentioned, still own one of each, and the best way to choose between them is to close one's eyes and grab the first that comes to hand. I don't find enough pluses or minuses to rule one over the other due to function.

If dire circumstances forced me to keep only one it would be the Marlin due to cheap ammo and the ability to clean from the chamber end. The biggest gripe I have with them, and all tube magazines for that matter, is running the rounds through the action to unload. As long as one pays attention and is not distracted all will be fine. I have been around two accidental firings, one by a 13 year old and the other by a grandparent with decades of experience. This is out of dozens of users unloading dozens of times per year over years so it is not common. I have owned several in 30/30 of all eras but am currently down to one in 30/30 and one in 35 Rem. I shot the 30/30s out to 200 yards with a scoped rifle and would be confident of hitting a deer at that range though would be hesitant regarding bullet performance as my longest shot has been well inside 100 yards with a 30/30.

The Browning might be the first to go as magazines are expensive in the event of loss or damage. It is the more accurate of my three which would make selling it a difficult decision. If I would have kept either the 7mm/08 or 243 models rather than a 358 I would have ranked it higher. The 358 is plenty accurate to 200 yards but I don't think I have shot an animal past 40 yards with it. The other two were deer accurate to 300 yards and likely further though the range ran out of room at 300 yards and my furthest shot was maybe 200 yards on a pronghorn with the 7mm/08.

The pump I currently own is an early 760 in 300 Savage but I have owned several others in varying calibers over the years. They were all full sized rifles, no carbines. The newest was bought new from Grice's several years back but I didn't warm up to it. Nothing functionally but the lack of wear did not fit my image of what one of these guns should look like. The ones I had in 30/06, 308, and borrowed in 270 would have kept up with the BLR at all distances but for some reason the 300 Savage guns are not up to the same capabilities.

I believe any of the above will work for your stated purposes. The Marlin will be a bit cheaper to purchase with the Remington next and the Browning last based on pricing around here. Ammo costs will be less with the Marlin if in 30/30 with the other two being a wash. The Remington and Browning will have a somewhat greater range of capability over the Marlin which may or may not have a bearing at some point.

As I said, close your eyes and pick one out. Your needs are pretty basic so they are easily met.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by humdinger

You sure won’t lose much velocity on a car one to matter. And no way in hell you’d lose so much that it would be the 30-30 range of the lever.

I would agree with humdinger if talking about a carbine in 30/06. I haven't shot a 760/7600 carbine but I have shot 30/06s with 18-20" barrels over a chronograph. They are definitely loud, seemingly as loud as my 300 mag with the BOSS brake on it. You probably don't want to shoot it without some degree of hearing protection. If using standard factory ammo velocity seems to be in the range of a hotter factory 308 load using the same bullets. I suspect similar rounds such as the 270 would have similar outcomes.

If looking at a 308 carbine I would have fewer compunctions. Muzzle blast seems to be less offensive and velocity seems to be less affected. At least the ration of loss was less in comparison. These were with AR platforms.
If it were up to me, I would go to the local gun store and put them on the counter. Pick them up and get a good feel for them. Then decide. All three are great choices.

IMO I love 7600’s. I have 2, a Carbine 35 Whelen and a cut down 308 Win (20”). The Whelen is new and it’s taking a little longer to break in than the 308 did. Blast isn’t as bad as everyone makes it out. Then again everyone is different.

I have 2 Marlins...a 35 Rem and a 30-30. Either would be my second choice.

I had a 358Win in a BLR that I sold. It was very accurate and very nice, however I just couldn’t warm up to it.

Have fun and good luck!

Tom
760/7600 for me. mine is going into season #40 and has killed every deer i've shot at with it. standard 30-06. The old 760 has a steel trigger assembly and the newer 7600 i have feels like something other than steel.
I also used a 336 C for a few seasons and while a nice gun the 760 is more accurate and versatile. I can load "down" the 06 to levels like a 300 savage if i want to (see H4895 reduced loads)
I had a 760 carbine in .30-06 and it was obnoxiously loud. It also produced an orange ball of muzzle flash that was spectacular at dawn/dusk. Was good for leaving you deaf and blind if you took a shot at first/last light with it. Later I bought another with the 22" barrel and that took care of that little problem. If I were going to get another 7600 it would definitely have the 22" barrel. As a side note, my old 336 is more accurate than my 760 or 7600 were and I have no need for another Remington. In fact, all of the half dozen 336's I've had have been more than accurate enough for killing deer at woods ranges and beyond. If I needed another woods rifle I'd find a used JM 336 in nice shape and leave the Remington junk for someone else.
I like my BLR but I prefer my Marlin 30-30 for close fast shots. But I have one of the old ones, made long before Remington took over. The 30-30 with irons is okay to maybe 200 or so but really shines under 100 yards which is what most of my shots are. The BLR is similar, but I feel like it doesn’t reach its full capability without a scope. Also, the BLR has the worst trigger I’ve ever felt. Never used a 7600
7600 35 Whelen.
Originally Posted by 44mc
if steelhead gives you advice don't take it

If you can manage a few coherent sentences, send me a PM with your address. I'm past due on rent money.
None of those----I would look look a Savage 99
steelhead you can dish it out but can not take it. grow up I do like your camo marlin. nice rifle
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If I needed another woods rifle I'd find a used JM 336 in nice shape

and leave the Remington junk for someone else.

Guys, I like and appreciate the quality of the older 336s.....but they're TOO heavy for their performance level. IMO.

OTOH

[Linked Image]

Remington makes some pretty nice "JUNQUE".

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
If I needed another woods rifle I'd find a used JM 336 in nice shape

and leave the Remington junk for someone else.

Guys, I like and appreciate the quality of the older 336s.....but they're TOO heavy for their performance level. IMO.

OTOH

[Linked Image]

Remington makes some pretty nice "JUNQUE".

Jerry
I was referring to the Remington made 336's in that post but Remington is good at polishing turds and making them look "nice". The 336 is about the same weight as a 7600 carbine and the "performance level" of the 336 is 100% for woods hunting but I know it would be impossible to pound that through your thick skull with a 16 pound maul. At least a 336 doesn't have a plastic bolt cover and rubber o rings in it's parts list and I do appreciate that.
It's a pain to replace those rubber O-rings in a 760. I've done it. Without it they turn into rattle traps.
Originally Posted by Mike74
It's a pain to replace those rubber O-rings in a 760. I've done it. Without it they turn into rattle traps.
Yep and yep.
100 yards or less...iron sighted .30-30 works just fine.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 carbine chambered for the famous 30-30 cartridge. It's features include 16 inch barrel, grey laminated stock, angle eject, and tang safety. I mounted a Simmons 2-7X scope and this carbine shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 170 grain Power Point ammo. Mossberg builds a quality 30-30 carbine!

Sherwod
After 4 pages of debate... the decision is....

Marlin 336.

Its just to easy to clean and handy.

A 7600 is a fine choice and you could go campfire and buy both.
It'd be interesting to learn from folks here if their preferences date back to their youth or if they gravitated toward them later down the road.
I grew up with 7600's and bolt actions so they're most familiar to me. I suspect if I started life with levers, I'd have a greater appreciation for them.
My grandfather hunted most of his life with a Savage 1899 in 303. For many years, it was all he owned. My father hunted with two rifles, a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and a Sako Hi Power in 270. He carried the Marlin 85% of the time I'd bet.

Growing up, the first "deer rifle" gifted to me was a Ruger M77 in 250 Savage. I guess it stuck because for many years I tended to use bolts more than anything. The first rifle I bought was a bolt, the second a 336C in 35 Remington. That also said, I have owned 6 or so 7600s but never could warm up to them and they are all gone now. The last few years I have carried the Marlin 95% of the time. I think Dad was right about the lever but I also tend to think he was pretty smart to start us out with a bolt.

Not sure if that answers your question.

Then you read too many internet stories and don’t shoot enough. I guarantee you I have shot them more than most and have never had to change one. You scent will scare more critters than a 760/7600 ever will. If a buck heats my gun “rattle” it’s too late for him to do anything about it at that point.
Originally Posted by Sherwood
. Mossberg builds a quality 30-30 carbine!

Sherwod

There it is....on the internet forever.
Originally Posted by SKane
It'd be interesting to learn from folks here if their preferences date back to their youth or if they gravitated toward them later down the road.
I grew up with 7600's and bolt actions so they're most familiar to me. I suspect if I started life with levers, I'd have a greater appreciation for them.

You're onto something...

My first year with a rifle... my dad handed me a marlin 336A and it failed. The firing pin was broke. Then I grabbed the rem 600 in 35 rem and stuck with bolts. My dad held up his remington 743 auto and said... don't buy these.. they jam.

I avoided levers for years due to pin breakage and weaker extraction.

Now I favor only levers and bolts. Even have a 336A again.
Tried pumps and sold them for no good reason. I think a rem 6 is a very attractive gun.
Held a savage 170 yesterday and liked it too.

My dad gravitated back to winchester 94 in his last years of hunting too.
steelhead you can dish it out but can not take it. grow up I do like your camo marlin. nice rifle

sur i can, ain't feiting back wat its about?

thanks, i like that marlen 2.

I've never lived anywhere that seeing a pump rifle on the gun shelf was a common occurrence. My fascination began via the Beniot stories I read when MUCH younger.

I've never seen anyone hunting with a pump rifle.
Originally Posted by Sherwood
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 carbine chambered for the famous 30-30 cartridge. It's features include 16 inch barrel, grey laminated stock, angle eject, and tang safety. I mounted a Simmons 2-7X scope and this carbine shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 170 grain Power Point ammo. Mossberg builds a quality 30-30 carbine!

Sherwod

That's actually a nifty looking rig.
I'm still sitting here scratching my head on how a 30-06 isn't good for deer at 100 yards. Wow Ed k
What I don't like about pump actions is the forearm moves once the action is fired. I do not know if the Remington mentioned in this thread is like the " 22 s & slug guns " I have fired.

The BLR has a nice magazine, but PLAN on getting the trigger worked on.

The Marlins are golden in that regard, so simple and easy to get shooting good! But a PITA to load unload compared to a clip, or like henery has now a tube feed that unloads via the tube.
steelhead who did the camo job? I got a 90smod 94 I would like to have done. i could not do my marlins
Originally Posted by Angus1895
What I don't like about pump actions is the forearm moves once the action is fired.

Angus, that's the point when it's in the hand - slide rearward, no? laugh
steelhead who did the camo job? I got a 90smod 94 I would like to have done. i could not do my marlins

I have no idea, I bought it that way in the Fire.

You could PM yar, that is who I bought it from, he might know.
thanks steelhead
If 100 yards is the key distance I would find and older Marlin in 35 Rem. It may be old and ancient but it drops a big hammer on deer at that distance. A .35 bore always makes a statement no matter how mild mannered it may be.
You have narrowed your choice down to 3 great rifles, I have owned a bunch of Marlins and BLR's, you can not go wrong with any of these rifles but My favorite on your list is the Browning, I have had a pile of these over the years and all have been very accurate, there is a wide range of cartridge choices and I love the detachable magazine...If you wanrt the easiest to clean buy a takedown model ( stainless/laminated ) these are very pretty to boot.......Good luck...Hb
Of those three I have already chosen. A Marlin 336 30-30, actually I have two one scoped and one with a peep sight. I started with a rifle like this and have come around a bit. I also have a Rossi 16 inch M92 copy in 45 Long colt but it is generally used as a general purpose rifle and truck gun. The 265 gr. cast bullet at 1400 fps will easily reach out to 100 yards.

Then you read too many internet stories and don’t shoot enough. I guarantee you I have shot them more than most and have never had to change one. You scent will scare more critters than a 760/7600 ever will. If a buck heats my gun “rattle” it’s too late for him to do anything about it at that point.

Xs 2

I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.
I personally have 4 and have had 2 or 3 more — none rattled.

I have friends that own & hunt them.....none rattled.

Yes, I know ‘some’ rattle BUT I don’t know How they were treated or mistreated.

Secondly, why do you need a metal DUST cover ? Don’t.

Thirdly, LOTS of machinery & engines use O ring gaskets. Why don’t you replace them?

Fourthly, the muzzle blast not only covers any noise but you can be reloaded before the shot sound is gone.

Jerry
to me the slide action is the most natural of manually operated guns. if i HAD to buy brand new, i'd buy the 7600 '06 carbine, i'd put talley light weight lows and a bushnell elite 4200 on it.

but that said, i would buy a used one. up around here in PA they're plentiful and reasonable.
I would like a 760 in 308 to go with my 742 308 carbine
One thing for sure, you don't have to worry about loose forearms, worn out o rings or plastic bolt covers on a Marlin 336.
In your experience is the muzzle blast on a 7600 Carbine going to be a lot worse than a 22 inch barrel 7600 or 22 inch bolt for that matter?

Kiss ass you bitch.

Xs 2

Thirdly, LOTS of machinery & engines use O ring gaskets. Why don’t you replace them?

Fourthly, the muzzle blast not only covers any noise but you can be reloaded before the shot sound is gone.

Jerry

Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.
Originally Posted by elelbean
In your experience is the muzzle blast on a 7600 Carbine going to be a lot worse than a 22 inch barrel 7600 or 22 inch bolt for that matter?

It never bothered me.

It’s not a blast that will scare you or anything. But yes, it’s dofferent than a 22” barreled rifle. It’s louder, and I guess I would say “jumpier”. Not uncomfortable tho. I think the recoil from a .308 in a 760/7600 is worse than any of the others I’ve shot.

Kiss ass you bitch.

Ohhhh! Dirty talk. Lmao. Don’t be mad because you got called for your BS.

Xs 2

Jerry

Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

I have a 7600 30-06 in my safe with probably over 2000 rounds through it. It’s a sportsman, birch stock cheap ass model. Unlike you...original O-ring.

Jwall and SKane have shot these more than I, and you don’t hear them squeaking about o-rings and rattled. The only ones that do that are people tha “heard” from a friend, not with actual experience. Like I said. The deer will smell your outhouse wipe job long before they hear your gun rattle.
It sure seemed alot worse to me. Instant thunder clap that left
the ears ringing. You could feel the pressure wave as if somebody slapped you over the ears with the palm of their hand.The muzzle flash at last light was pretty spectacular too.
I'll also vote 7600 carbine. Have carried my 30-06 through thickets, swamps and over mountains in all kinds of nasty weather for many years. Reliable as an anvil and great handling with a 1.5-5x Leupold on board. I have a total of six 760/7600 in the safe and never had any of them rattle or let me down.
I didn't hear it from anyone. I replaced an o-ring myself on a 760 .270. If you need to know how to do it I can explain it. Because I know from first hand experience.

Jwall and SKane have shot these more than I, and you don’t hear them squeaking about o-rings and rattled. The only ones that do that are people tha “heard” from a friend, not with actual experience. Like I said. The deer will smell your outhouse wipe job long before they hear your gun rattle.

I have replaced an o-ring or two but it's a SOP and due more due to anal retentiveness, just as I do on my 1100's and 11-87's.
With regards to rattling, yeah, some can rattle more than others but I handle my 7600's by holding the forearm - novel concept, eh? laugh

And when I forget my rack-pack, I just jiggle the forearm. whistle
[Linked Image]
They can't be worse than me shuffling a round into the chamber with a Marlin when I'm looking at a deer, or bolting one in with a Remington.

The lone 760 I have might have a little rattle, never really noticed it, never really cared. Far more concerned with defeating their nose. YMMV
While I love the lever actions and grew up reading about the 760s used by the Benoits my best luck shooting deer in thick woods still hunting and also while running dogs has been a Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional .270 Winchester with a Leupold 6x42 with a German #4 reticle. It has worked from 10 feet to 400+ yards

1 B >> I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.

1. >> Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

Mike how can you come to that conclusion ? I have known 1 that rattled AND some here reported they had one that rattled. NEVER said they didn't.

My Dad had the FIRST 760 that I ever saw. It was @ 1960 or so, I got it from him years before he passed. It NEVER rattled.

I personally have HAD 760s since the 70s and THEN the Model Sixes (6s) when they came out.
My first Model Six is a 270 W and I got it shortly after 1981. I hunted it for years and killed LOTS of deer with it. My Son owns it now.....
still does NOT rattle.

Absolutely NONE of mine rattle and the O rings are not rotted. I know it happens. I don't know WHY but it does.
It does NOT happen to ALL of them.

Jerry

elel - you ask this ? of me and I can't answer it because I never owned a 760/7600 Carbine. Some have answered yes and others not so much. Seems to me a personal perception.

I did own, shoot, & hunt a 77 UL in 308 W which had a 20" bll. I didn't notice it being louder than others >> however I was shooting MAGNUMS as well at the time. That probably had something to do with it.

Jerry

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle. wink

[Linked Image]
elelbean,

IF I could give you advice, it would be a PUMP-RIFLE over the other 2 choices BUT not a 7600. = There are FAR TOO many "near new" Model 760 rifles/carbines available at a GOOD PRICE to settle for the 7600.

Fwiw, I collect Remington pump rifles & currently own 8 in different calibers from .243 to 9.3x62mm.
The ONLY 7600 that I have KEPT is the 'Unissued" Model 7615P police carbine in 5.56NATO, that I bought "police department surplus".
(My Darla has "adopted" it, as she says, "It's just my size." = She 60" tall, 90# & she is DEADLY ACCURATE with the little 5.56 carbine out to beyond 200M.)

Note: I looked > 2 years for a MINT 7615P. Inasmuch as I still want a 7615P, now I get to start looking for another one for my collection. = !@#$%!

yours, tex
BLR for me...pick your favorite short action cartridge. For me it was 358 Winchester for an occasional bear hunt but it has been very effective on white tails in the woods as well as bear.

Dan

1 B >> I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.

1. >> Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

Mike how can you come to that conclusion ? I have known 1 that rattled AND some here reported they had one that rattled. NEVER said they didn't.

My Dad had the FIRST 760 that I ever saw. It was @ 1960 or so, I got it from him years before he passed. It NEVER rattled.

I personally have HAD 760s since the 70s and THEN the Model Sixes (6s) when they came out.
My first Model Six is a 270 W and I got it shortly after 1981. I hunted it for years and killed LOTS of deer with it. My Son owns it now.....
still does NOT rattle.

Absolutely NONE of mine rattle and the O rings are not rotted. I know it happens. I don't know WHY but it does.
It does NOT happen to ALL of them.

Jerry

I know exactly why. WD-40 rots the O-rings and back in the day a lot of guys lubed their guns with it.
Mike74,

NONE of my Model 760 rifles/carbines "rattle". = IF you have that problem with yours "Brownell's" has the DIY kit to solve it for about 10 bucks.

yours, tex
Ok, I'll go big with a Marlin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
BTW - The OP, elel, has already made his decision.... so this is just personal gun gack.

I really think you are on to something right there.

I've had levers since 1972 BUT I used Rem 870s FAR more & for MANY more years --> --> the 760/7600 was a natural transition.
I haven't been able to convince lever shooters UNLESS they've been willing to give the pumps an honest trial.

I know from personal experience that the pump shotgun & pump rifle is a MORE natural reflex action... therefore quicker reaction.

***My Preference*** in levers is the Savage 99 and Browning BLR (short cartridges). I THOT I wanted a BLR in 7mm RM UNTIL I handled ONE. NOPE too long, heavy, UNbalanced to me.

Now guys this is ME and not intended AT anyone. I'm expressing MY opinions and am NOT trying to gig, agitate, or irritate anyone.
I don't have space to be occupied by 94s or 336s. I'd pick a 336 over a 94 for quality, plain and simple.

I have hunted & killed IN THICKETS with 270s, 06s, & 7 Mags. They work just as well as levers.
*** NO ONE has to agree with me.

Jerry
Love that Marlin Steelhead.
Originally Posted by satx78247
Mike74,

NONE of my Model 760 rifles/carbines "rattle". = IF you have that problem with yours "Brownell's" has the DIY kit to solve it for about 10 bucks.

yours, tex
Sorry. I don't own any. I don't want anymore either. There was a time where it seemed everyone in PA carried one. I had a few. I've since learned levers suit me better.
Mike74,

Differing opinions (to quote my grandfather), "- - - - are what causes horseraces."

As a southpaw & a longtime pump shotgunner, I prefer pump-rifles over any other sort in several calibers from 5.56NATO to my treasured 9.3x62mm, that Jessie at JES reformatted for me.
(My 07/1954 Model 760 will cut one ragged hole with 180 grain hunting loads at 150M, presuming that I do my part.)

Note: My early 760 in .244REM is even more accurate than my .300SAV. = My niece, who now owns it, is DEADLY with it at any reasonable deer hunting range, using 90 grain JSP. - Tara calls it "the lazer".

yours, tex
For 100 yards or less and picking from the 3 rifles you mention, I would pick the 336 in 30-30.

If you don't mind expanding your options a little....

#1 - Ruger American in 7.62x39. Uses mini 30 mags and can get cheap plinking ammo. Great option for 30-30 like ballistics.

#2 - Marlin lever 45-70. Can use leveRevolution ammo for whitetails or you can use tons of other good ammo for everything else in N. America.

#3 - Ruger 77-44. 44 mag is a great deer cartridge and it would shine at 100 yards and under. My son has a 77-357. 125 grain JSP made a quarter sized hole coming out of a deer at about 50 yards. Did such a good job, I bought me one. 44 mag would be more recoil, but still not bad.

#4 - Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster
28 consecutive seasons on my 7600. If it rattles, you're doing it wrong. Growing up on a pump .22 I had lots of practice with the motion. I'd say 9/10 there's no need for a second shot and I usually don't rapid reload so I can catch my nickel case. Only thing, now that I'm getting a little older and slower and clumsier I wish it were the carbine version.
Mike74,

Differing opinions (to quote my grandfather), "- - - - are what causes horseraces."

As a southpaw & a longtime pump shotgunner, I prefer pump-rifles over any other sort in several calibers from 5.56NATO to my treasured 9.3x62mm, that Jessie at JES reformatted for me.
(My 07/1954 Model 760 will cut one ragged hole with 180 grain hunting loads at 150M, presuming that I do my part.)

Note: My early 760 in .244REM is even more accurate than my .300SAV. = My niece, who now owns it, is DEADLY with it at any reasonable deer hunting range, using 90 grain JSP. - Tara calls it "the lazer".

yours, tex

I'm a southpaw too. Probably the only pump that could still tempt me is a 760 in .244 or 6mm.

I had a few. I've since learned levers suit me better.

That's ALL that matters. I have what I like and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I once got a Super Redhawk with the 9 1/2" bll on the recommendation from a friend. He loved his....................
I didn't care for THAT long of barrel.

WE only need to please ourselves -> -> BE HAPPY.......BE HAPPY ! !

Jerry
jwall.

SPOT ON. = It also has a great deal to do with how skilled that the hunter/marksman is.

One of the hunters, who I knew for 4 decades until his passing, shot ONLY a Winchester Model 1910 in the "obsolete" .401WSL caliber for deer hunting. = R.D. "Bugs" C_________ was a very skilled still hunter & nearly always was the first of our leaseholders to get a WT each season.
(The .401 has a VERY distinctive report that goes "BLAM" & when we heard that sound, usually an hour or less after the opening of the season, we knew that we would be eating chicken-fried venison, gravy, biscuits & fried potatoes that night.)

yours, tex
Found a newly listed 760 in.257 Bob on the Cabelas gun library website last night. Was listed as "pending" this morning. mad

As far as 760 vs BLR vs 336, I'm a big lever fan but for a pure killin' machine a 760 carbine would be tops on my list.
Originally Posted by tmitch
Found a newly listed 760 in.257 Bob on the Cabelas gun library website last night. Was listed as "pending" this morning. mad.

Maybe shrapnel purchased it so he could tell everyone about his new "Creedmoor". laugh
Found a newly listed 760 in.257 Bob on the Cabelas gun library website last night. Was listed as "pending" this morning. mad.

Maybe shrapnel purchased it so he could tell everyone about his new "Creedmoor". laugh

laugh
tmitch,

WISHING that I had seen the .257 Roberts first. = It's one of 2 calibers that I don't own.
(The other Model 760 caliber is 7x57mm & there may have been as many as 300 made by Cherry's Sporting Goods in the 1960s. - I cannot afford one, IF I could find one.)

yours, tex
tmitch,

WISHING that I had seen the .257 Roberts first. = It's one of 2 calibers that I don't own.
(The other Model 760 caliber is 7x57mm & there may have been as many as 300 made by Cherry's Sporting Goods in the 1960s. - I cannot afford one, IF I could find one.)

yours, tex

I have a relative who has every caliber made in the Remington model 14, 14 1/2, 141, 760, 6, and 7600. He spent a lifetime collecting and he's now in his 80's.
Mike74,

He ACTUALLY has a 7x57mm?? = WOW, I'm impressed.
(A friend at the Remington factory has never seen one "in the flesh", in 25+ years of working there.)

Note: An auctioneer from New Orleans told me in 1996 that he knows of a 7x57mm that once sold at auction for over 12,000.oo.

PLEASE ask him for the barrel-date code & SN.

yours, tex
Mike74,

He ACTUALLY has a 7x57mm?? = WOW, I'm impressed.
(A friend at the Remington factory has never seen one "in the flesh", in 25+ years of working there.)

Note: An auctioneer from New Orleans told me in 1996 that he knows of a 7x57mm that once sold at auction for over 12,000.oo.

PLEASE ask him for the barrel-date code & SN.

yours, tex

I ain't asking him for jack shidt. He's in is 80's and poor health. I don't know anything about any stupid a$$ 7x57. I saw his collection 25 years ago and some I remember and some I don't. I didn't know Remington was ever stupid enough to chamber such a [bleep] cartridge. If I found one I'd rebarrel it to something decent. Now piss off.
Whoa, now you're gettin the hang of it.
Whoa, now you're gettin the hang of it.

I think this place is doing it to me. laugh
as a gun dealer and have shot and owned them all ,my vote would be a 7mm-08 BLR S.S. best accuracy and one of the better short action deer cartridges,with a clip
Originally Posted by pete53
as a gun dealer and have shot and owned them all ,my vote would be a 7mm-08 BLR S.S. best accuracy and one of the better short action deer cartridges,with a clip

Here's another one that's not forced to guess. We must pardon him for having the luxury.
I don't know anything about any stupid a$$ 7x57. I saw his collection 25 years ago and some I remember and some I don't. I didn't know Remington was ever stupid enough to chamber such a chitty cartridge.

WOW !

"I don't know anything about".....

"I didn't know".....

You just told us........ okay. smirk

I'm NOT a 7X57 aficionado..... but in modern firearms it's about the same as the 7-08 ! !

BUT to have a modern Remington pump in 7X57...............makes it a REAL collector item.

Jerry
Sounds like Mikey74 and Blackfart are pissing in each other’s corn flakes...and eating em.
Sounds like Mikey74 and Blackfart are pissing in each other’s corn flakes...and eating em.
Nah, it's just big azzholes like you bring out the best in some of us.
jwall, ,

Some of our forum members know ZILCH about collecting firearms NOR could care less about collecting. = IF there was actually 300 pieces made on special order, that is a TRULY rare firearm.
(I've also heard that Cherry's ordered 300 pieces but never received but 100 total. - SOME sources say that VERY FEW, like 10-20 rifles were made before Remington canceled the contract.)

yours, tex
jwall, ,

Some of our forum members know ZILCH about collecting firearms NOR could care less about collecting. = IF there was actually 300 pieces made on special order, that is a TRULY rare firearm.
(I've also heard that Cherry's ordered 300 pieces but never received but 100 total. - SOME sources say that VERY FEW, like 10-20 rifles were made before Remington canceled the contract.)

yours, tex

True. I detest the very notion of safe queens.
Nah, it's just big azzholes like you bring out the best in some of us.

Funny...you calling someone an ass hole.
I've had all of the above. All will work, but none would be my choice anymore. A compact bolt action with an 18-20" barrel in a short action cartridge with a flat shooting, accurate cartridge will weigh less than any of those options. If you choose the optics carefully it will weigh less with the scope than the others with iron sights. It'll be more accurate and can cost less too. Flat trajectory, pinpoint accuracy, and a very good scope make it a lot easier to shoot through holes in thick brush and see game in poor light.

You're only going to get one meaningful shot, might as well make the best one possible. Getting off repeat shots is fine if you're providing covering fire in the military, but is not a concern when hunting. And with practice a bolt action is just as fast for repeat "AIMED" fire as any other action.
I would go bolt action in what ever caliber you prefer. I've never been a fan of lever or pumps, other that a Savage 99! Just my two cents!
Mike74,

Actually my hunting guns were mostly in fair-bad shape when I got them & thereafter were refinished/repaired.
(I wouldn't want to take a nice/expensive rifle into the brush country or into the swamps near Caddo.)

I just cannot resist an incomplete or "needs work" rifle IF its bones are good. = My current project ,a 760 in .30-06, started out as a 100 buck mess but it shoots GREAT, = I'll have several (maybe 20) hours of handwork & another 50 bucks in it when it's completed & looking well as it shoots again.

Btw, a 7x57mm round is far from useless. - It's one of the favorite calibers of the commercial hunters in the Northern European nations for reindeer, caribou & moose.
Any number of polar bears have been killed by the old-school round, too.

yours, tex
tmitch,

yours, tex

It was a nice looking one, EXCEPT someone put a pad on it. Still didn't last long at $900.
760 .257 Roberts
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

[Linked Image]

Good lookin' rifle, Dave. blush
Originally Posted by pete53

Here's another one that's not forced to guess. We must pardon him for having the luxury.

Ahhhh yes, provincial pete, always the voice of veracity and reason. smirk

[Linked Image]

Good lookin' rifle, Dave. blush

Was that yours?

I had one in 7mm-08 as well. Of course I sold it. I did get a few porcupines with it. laugh
Tom,
The one in the pict (with the deer) is a 30.06.
I have a 7600, had others, had an early BLR in 358, Have a Marlin 30-30 (and other calibers). Do not have a Henry.

All would work well, I suppose. The 7600 is hands down most accurate - 270 was a 1/2MOA for 5 shots, 30-06 was < 1 MOA for several loads, but deer at 100 yards doesn't require better accuracy than almost any rifle.

My pick would be the 7600, but honestly I think it's personal taste. Have you shouldered these rifles? Any feel "best" to you?
I have all three. Pick the one that feels best to you and put a receiver sight on it for 100 yard shots.
I wouldn’t buy new.

I’d get a JM stamped Marlin 336 30-30 ( pre Remington purchase). The best design feature of the Marlin 336 is that you can clean it from the breach ( and very simply). Can’t do that with the Rem 760/7600, or Browning BLR. Not sure about the Henry.

Yes, you can get more powerful cartridges in the Rem 7600. But, for your 100 yard distance, it doen’t make any difference for deer hunting. If you want a Rem 7600, again, I’d look for a good used one from before the Rem/ Marlin merger.

In the end, get what you want. All your choices will be able to take a deer at 100 yards.
tzone, yes it's mine. High Brass bought it for me from Grice.
I thought the "new" 7600s were going to have a lower comb to better use the open sights (if that is important to you). I have not seen one in person to know for sure.

JDK - The older 760's had a lower comb and more drop in the butt stock for a better "sight picture" with "open sights". However, with their "skinny" metal butt plates and all that "drop", they were also rather "unpleasant" in the recoil department in the bigger (more powerful) calibers! While the 760 had a different lock-up system than the 7600, they were well made firearms IMO.
Originally Posted by victory06
JDK - The older 760's had a lower comb and more drop in the butt stock for a better "sight picture" with "open sights". However, with their "skinny" metal butt plates and all that "drop", they were also rather "unpleasant" in the recoil department in the bigger (more powerful) calibers! While the 760 had a different lock-up system than the 7600, they were well made firearms IMO.

I was thinking new as in brand new. I thought I read somewhere that they changed (or were) changing the butt stock on them.

tzone, yes it's mine. High Brass bought it for me from Grice.

It's a great looking rifle IMO.
If you want a Rem 7600, again, I’d look for a good used one from before the Rem/ Marlin merger.

This is what I would look for as well.
tmitch,

yours, tex

It was a nice looking one, EXCEPT someone put a pad on it. Still didn't last long at $900.
760 .257 Roberts
[Linked Image]

Well, you gotta put a pad on those vicious 257 Roberts rifles. laugh

It's a great looking rifle IMO.

Thank you sir!
Get a Savage Hog Hunter in 338 Win mag. It will kill anything that comes by. You would be in good shape if Sasquatch shows up!!!
© 24hourcampfire