Home
Posted By: pdman SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
HEY ALL...Where do y'all place your shot so the deer is DRT...???? I try to place it near the spine to avoid it running off and a possibly long tracking trek....What works for you..??
Pete
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
So, what bullet from what gun at what speed when it gets to deer? It all matters. Anyway, your question. My fav is a reasonably fast expanding bullet from most anything bigger than a 22 hitting the neck a few inches above the chest of the deer that was just facing me when I turned the lights out.
Posted By: pdman Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
HI MAC..I have used 5.56mm...6.5 Grendel...7-08...308....partitions...accubonds...TTSX.....all at close to max book loads...my shots are never more than 125yds....sometimes its hard to get the right angle to place bullet near the spine....its a small target...
Pete
Posted By: ihookem Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
If it is late I shoot them through the front shoulders so they dont run off. If there is snow on the ground I for 4" behind the front shoulders and let them run and bleed out. The meat tastes a bit better if the deer bleeds out .
Posted By: Sherwood Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
[Linked Image]

This is where I aim when a broadside shot is presented.

Sherwood
Thanks Sherwood...Have that target..if I can get that broadside shot I like to place bullet at top of shoulder and break the spine...deer drops at the shot..
thanks for your post...!!
Pete
Posted By: DW7 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
I've never struggled to track a double lunged critter 100yds or less. I did struggle to track a neck shot cow for a mile because I hit below the spine.
HEY DW7....YES..u r right...my hunt partner insists on shooting them in the neck...so far he has had 2 deer run off this season and we tracked them at least a mile and a little more..we did recover both of them...
if I cannot place the bullet where I want to break the spine I will take the shot as shown in Sherwoods target...they do not run more than 50 yds if at all...most will drop at the shot....

Pete
Posted By: shaman Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
Sherwood's X is about spot on. However, it's a 2D representation of a 3D system. You're not aiming for a point on the hide, but rather a path through the vitals.

The vast majority of my shots end up with the deer either dead where it stood or you can at least stand in there and see the carcass. When I feel I've got it "just right" is when both lungs are shredded and the top of the heart has been taken out. Normally I'm shooting a 30-something , 30-06 accounting for the bulk of the shots now.

I used to tell my kids to envision a soccer ball in the chest. However, in reality it's more like a gallon milk jug. If you can energize the water in that jug so that it transfers energy to the surrounding structures that deer will be toes-up where it stood. If you instead manage to only hit the imaginary jug obliquely, the deer will die, but at some distance from where it was shot.

At least that's the catechism. In truth, I've blown up heart and lungs on a few deer only to get no reaction at all-- they went back to feeding. I've also seen a doe walk away non-plussed with an 8 foot arterial spirter. Nothing is for sure. The wildest was seeing my son shoot a small buck with his M1 Garand. The round so energized its surroundings that it opened the buck up and cleaned out both the chest and abdominal cavities. Despite this, the buck ran 60 yards and collapsed with its intestines wrapped around its hind legs.

I had an instance this season where I took a shot at a buck inside 150 yards with an 8X57. He was close to a fence line, and when I shot, all I saw was the buck disappear. I cranked a second round in and went to aim; there was nothing there. My first reaction was the buck had jumped the fence, but then I saw 4 hooves waving above the grass. He'd fallen in a small depression right next to where he'd been shot. Upon examination, I found the heart was intact. The lungs were pierced but not a mass of soup like they usually are. I was a good 2-4 inches high. I found the cause to be the parallax adjustment for the scope. It had moved dramatically from where I'd originally set it. New rifle. New scope-- something new to check next time.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
While I am not a big fan of neck shots, I have taken them from time to time, with good success. Most were with a 130 gr Partition out of an accurate 270, at less than 150 yards. There was also one buck taken with a 12 ga slug that was facing me, at around 30 yards. Put it just under his chin, and he went straight down.
The shot, as shown in the target, would always be my first choice.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
If I were hunting nice open woods with decent visiblity, I would take the lung shot as pictured. Where I am hunting now is anything but and I have gotten tired of chasing and dragging deer out of what is essentially a 3000 acre briar patch after which I look like I have been in a disagreement with a bobcat. I have indeed struggled mightily finding lung shot deer that left poor sign. So I started blowing out the shoulders. I love not having to track but hate the meat loss. Life involves a lot of trade offs.
Posted By: Windfall Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
I went to a seminar once at a deer classic show and the guy was talking about how effective the "withers shot" was. Not being a horse guy, I had to check where a withers was and then the opportunity presented that shot as a buck stood with his lower half obscured with too much brush to try to shoot through. Too tough a bullet (TSX) at too slow a velocity and I shot high for the spine and the deer ran away. First and only one that I've lost and I'm not going for that withers shot ever again. I've had very few drt deer and more than a few where did he go moments at last light with minimal blood trails with Partitions, so I'm using softer bullets from now on for more blood and faster drops.
Posted By: Bbear Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
I was always taught, and continue to use the adage - "shoot for the off-side shoulder". Works every time to anchor a deer. Most I've seen one run was about 30 yards. Postmortem examination shows from about any angle, you're taking out at least a lung and major arteries or the heart.
It does mean you pass up some shots from the rear angles though. But, quite often a whistle or grunt will get them to turn a bit more.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
I think that unless you shoot to hit the skull, just below the skull clipping the brain stem or hit close to the spine with a high shoulder shot the results will be uneven.

I have taken out the heart and lungs on a lot of deer with everything from .223s to 50 cal MLs and if that's what I am shooting at I expect it may go fifty or so yards. Sometimes I get blood trails that Ray Charles could follow. I have also gotten zero blood trail with some even while having two holes. The longest run I have had with the heart and lungs both gone was 70 yards give or take a little. Sometimes they go down where they stand with that shot. I have had several deer shot with a bow drop where they stood with heart shots, I have had one deer that was heart shot right through the heart, top to bottom make it right on 100 yards. I had one deer that I cut almost all the great vessels on with an arrow make it just over 200 yards. I had one deer that I double lunged with an arrow make it just over a mile.

Predicting the outcome of anything other that a CNS shot with a rifle is going to produce contrary results. I do not believe it is possible to predict the outcome of heart/lung shots other than to guess that a given percentage will be down and dead within 100 yards or something like that. Predicting blood trails when you are taking uot the heart is equally prone to contrariness..
Posted By: hanco Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
Shoulder shoot mine, no looking!
Posted By: wink_man Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
Sherwoods X is my choice whenever possible. I've found over the years that any deer I've shot and double lunged, be it with an expanding rifle bullet, 12 or 20 gauge slug, round ball or conical muzzleloader bullet or arrow, runs like a bat for about 35-40 yards and drops. If you're quiet you can actually hear them drop.

The only exception was a buck I shot with an arrow at 10 yards, the arrow went right through him, he did an "about face" with his ears cocked wondering what was going on and fell over as I watched him bleed out.
Posted By: ringworm Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/16/18
Yadayada yada....
90+% of my kills are neck shots. 5 of 7 this year, I'm off.
Any hit in the neck of a standard NA whitetail with decent expanding projectile and a velocity at or above 2k FPS is going to be sufficient.
Period.
Posted By: rost495 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
the ONLY thing that is guaranteed to fall on the spot is the CNS shot. The largest target of the CNS is by far the brain.

Beyond that you have to decide how you want to handle that.
Posted By: rost495 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
Oh yeah, since most won't use the brain shot, my suggestion is to become good at trailing as sooner or later you will need to.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
I’m not sure why you need a DRT shot as a hit through the lungs and heart should leave a blood trail easy enough to follow even on beach. A spine shot can be tough to hit. Head shots are foolish as that’s the part that is usually constantly moving. Best bet is taking out the shoulders. Knock out the front axle and they won’t go far.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
I've shot two whitetails just below the spine both were bang flops as was a mulie buck I shot just behind the ear. Double lung shot deer that I have shot went less than 60 yds. and left a blood trail a blind man could follow. This fall's whitetail was a quartering shot, the bullet entered just ahead of the last two ribs and passed diagonally thru the chest winding up just under the hide on the opposite shoulder, The deer managed to run 40 yds. when we field dressed him the lungs literally poured out of the chest cavity, the cartridge was a .35 Whelen handload using a 200 gr. Hornady RN bullet.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
I like to shoot tight against the shoulder,just a tad above the mid point of the body.I have found it will deliver shock to the spine and sometimes it will also rupture the large thoracic artery that lies just below the spine.This gives you a double whammy and will drop them on the spot with shock to the CNS and extreme loss of BP.I've shot deer just a little lower and it kills too,but they will usually run.I think what happens is when the bullet enters the chest cavity,the shock not only spreads,but it also tends to want to rise. I think the lungs being spongy, absorb the shock and it doesn't really get to the spine.These pictures show where I like to shoot them.
Entry
[Linked Image]

Inside

[Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
Need more bullet info, not only where....
Posted By: baldhunter Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
The one in the picture was shot with a 7mag using new version 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
Tight behind the shoulder for me, if possible. Hitting the shoulder works just the same, but results in a lot more meat damage, in a general sense.
Posted By: pdman Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/17/18
HEY Baldhunter.....THAT is EXACTLY where i aim and hit deer...5.56mm.... 6.5 Grendel....7mm-08....308....30/06.....drops them in their tracks......carry on....

Pete
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/18/18
DRT? Head. Just don't hit the jaw.....
Posted By: ringworm Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/18/18
I guess I've been lucky, for 35 years.
Neck shots with anything work.
Posted By: jeeper Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/19/18
I used to be tight behind the shoulder but loving neck shots now. Where I hunt 100 yds. is a long shot and 50 is common.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/19/18
My mentor when I was learning to bow hunt taught me to aim for the exit (wound). I learned that it translates well to rifles too. If the deer is quartered to or away, aim so that the bullet/arrow passes through the vitals between the shoulders. With a rifle, high and tight behind/in front of the shoulder has given me the most DRT's. I learned the hard way that aiming behind the shoulder on deer even slightly quartered to you gives you an exit through the paunch. If the deer is quartered away hard, I either wait for a better shot or let them walk.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/20/18
I like to hit them about 2-3” to the right of the green cross to take out the top of the heart and all the big heart plumbing. If I can, I also like to take out a shoulder either going or out.
Posted By: hunt_4646 Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/21/18
If within in 50 yards and slowly feeding, I prefer head or neck shot. Most of my hunting is over a large field with deer moving thru field to or from bedding area. Just above the heart is the location of most of my shots. Most DRT results have been from a soft bullet from a 270. Last week I took a neck shot at buck walking along the woods at 190 yards with 243 Win using 95 gr Horndy SST bullet. After being hit he ran 275 yards into neighbors woods. Upon dressing the deer, I found damage just below the spine in front of the shoulder. After that experience, I will go back to the HEART as point of aim. I must add that the meat is primary importance and not antlers. Yes a heavier bullet from a higher velocity caliber might have put the deer down and also destroyed more meat. Venison is our primary meat for the year.
It takes a very good shot to consistently hit the vital spot in head or spine of a moving deer at distance.
Posted By: ewms Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/21/18
Originally Posted by magshooter1
My mentor when I was learning to bow hunt taught me to aim for the exit (wound). I learned that it translates well to rifles too. If the deer is quartered to or away, aim so that the bullet/arrow passes through the vitals between the shoulders. With a rifle, high and tight behind/in front of the shoulder has given me the most DRT's. I learned the hard way that aiming behind the shoulder on deer even slightly quartered to you gives you an exit through the paunch. If the deer is quartered away hard, I either wait for a better shot or let them walk.

Exactly how I was taught along with understanding the anatomy and how I have taught my son.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/21/18
double lung when ever possible,puts them down fast,no meat loss.
Posted By: captdavid Re: SHOT PLACEMENT - 12/21/18
Imagine a tangerine, an oriental eggplant9the long skinny ones) and a small watermelon, constantly moving forward, backward, one way, the other way and up and down. The tangerine is about the size of the brain, the eggplant the spine in the neck or high shoulder and the watermelon, Sherwood's X. 2" off on the first three, one misses, wounds or possibly kills. The X 6" off and a kill! If it makes you feel good shoot tiny groups from a bench. If you want game, shoot watermelons. capt david
© 24hourcampfire