Home
Posted By: Tejano Calling Axis Deer? - 01/07/19
I know this is done in India. I have had some responses to cow elk chirping but have not gotten the bulls to call back except late at night mouth calling, a couple Axis beers helps with this. On the internet the only results are someone wanting to sell some product or magic call. I want to try tuning an elk bugle for the axis bark and three note call but not sure where to start. Has any one done this successfully?
Posted By: Tejano Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/07/19
Guess it is not too common.
Posted By: hanco Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/07/19
I never heard that before! What do you call them?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/07/19
tag
Posted By: brush_buster Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/07/19
This year during the rut I was rattling and had an Axis buck come charging in. First and only time that has happened to me but I didn't know we had any Axis on our lease to begin with. There are some next door but we had never seen any on ours before.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by hanco
I never heard that before! What do you call them?

MoFo or whatever comes to mind when I get busted by them or they bark at me unexpectedly especially at night.

I am going to try modifying an Elk bugle and cow caller. The diaphragm type can work but I am lousy with them, get a couple of good calls then blow a raspberry with them.

Ironically I have a sister in India now who just witnessed her guide mouth calling Chittal (Axis) and all sorts of other critters too. This was just yesterday, she is on the look out for calls but I doubt she will find one for me.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/11/19
they aren't that hard to make. a friend of mine made me an elk call out of buffalo horn. I know he tweaks them for sound, I reckon you could do one yourself and make it sound just how you want
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Calling Axis Deer? - 01/11/19
Haven't seen it work. I do know, for a fact, that a dieing Rabbit call will stop them long enough for a shot if they are moving.
© 24hourcampfire