Home
Posted By: ChaseA1 Seating Depth Suggestions?? - 01/15/19
We have a JC Higgins model 51 in 30-06. I am going to shoot Hornady 180 grain Interlock round noses out of it I am very confident in the gun liking that bullet and I have already found where it is touching lands at I just would like some recommendations on bullet jump that you use on Thinner jacketed walls.
Thanks chase
You might get a better response to your question by posting in the reloading forum.
Posted By: Youper Re: Seating Depth Suggestions?? - 01/16/19
I've used that bullet for hunting more than most others. They shoot well in my rifle. I've loaded it from 3.210" to 3.235" OAL without seeing much difference in a model 70. I haven't tried to find the lands with this bullet. FWIW comparing the 3.235" OAL ammo to my 150 gr. Sierra loads for the same rifle with a Sinclair hex gage shows the Sierra loads about .100" shorter, yet they shoot a little better.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Seating Depth Suggestions?? - 01/16/19
Don't forget to check it in the magazine.
Posted By: shaman Re: Seating Depth Suggestions?? - 01/19/19
Originally Posted by ChaseA1
We have a JC Higgins model 51 in 30-06. I am going to shoot Hornady 180 grain Interlock round noses out of it I am very confident in the gun liking that bullet and I have already found where it is touching lands at I just would like some recommendations on bullet jump that you use on Thinner jacketed walls.
Thanks chase

I'd back it off .002" from the lands at a minimum and see if it shoots. If it doesn't, move it back another .002. If the round is meant for deer hunting, I'd not worry too much. It's better to be a little further back.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Seating Depth Suggestions?? - 01/19/19
Have not used the Hornaday but the Remington 180 round nose was excellent for woods hunting. I used them when I still thought they were brush busters and they worked so well in the 06 and 08 I stayed with them for awhile. As I recall I loaded for magazine length and smooth feeding and they would shoot well enough so I never had to tweak them. I would not load them into the lands for a hunting load unless you are testing for maximum pressure.
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by ChaseA1
Thanks chase

I'd back it off .002" from the lands at a minimum and see if it shoots. If it doesn't, move it back another .002. If the round is meant for deer hunting, I'd not worry too much. It's better to be a little further back.

This.
Posted By: hanco Re: Seating Depth Suggestions?? - 01/19/19
I start at factory length, if it’s sub inch, I’m good to go
© 24hourcampfire