Home
Posted By: hanco Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
I walked out this afternoon, saw this buck at the end of my place. I have oats and winter wheat planted between the buck and where I took this pic. I drive 4 hours to my lease. I’ve never seen a buck comparable to this one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
Wow!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
Double Wow!
Posted By: hanco Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
This was in October, he may be the deer facing away, almost in the brush. Wifey took this pic, also on our place.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Windfall Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
You see that big tree stand location that your deer in picture one is looking at? Seems to me that you could easily save that 4 hour drive and be a pretty satisfied hunting guy. When my little sister lived in Houston, I was down there on business and spent the weekend at her place. I got talking to her neighbor and he was just cleaning out his closet and moving the deer antlers. Well holy smokes, he had a king size bed full of 10+ point whitetail antlers. A private lease which I take it is pretty common in Texas, but nice antlers to be sure. I can't quite understand why Texas doesn't lead the nation in B&C bucks, but it is a smaller sub-species than what we have up north and maybe antlers looks larger on smaller deer. No shrinkage on that big guy though Hanco, shoot the thing and measure it for us come open season.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
I wouldn't drive 4 minutes if I had deer like that on my place.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
Cookie found our first shed of the year beneath her bird feeder about 5 days back. A smallish 3 by.

About a month back we had a party of 5. Could only get these two lined up in her big lens though. .
[Linked Image]

Nothing of real substance though in the last 12 months proper

Fall of 2017 was a good time around the house. The following winter snows though knocked our population back a bit.
[Linked Image]

White tail configuration, but a mule deer all the way. Break up the firewood bark and use it in Cookie's flower beds.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Deer in the yard - 02/02/19
I live in the city, people across the street have called the law on me several times. I wasn’t me shooting. Before they moved in, I could shoot all I wanted. They would report me if I used my bow. The fellow that owns property that backs up to mine hates hunting also. If I hit deer with arrow it’s going right into his acreage . It be my luck it would die out in his yard.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Deer in the yard - 02/03/19
I live on the edge of the city too, but where I live has too many deer within the city limits and I have an exclusive special city hunting permit to bow or crossbow hunt the mile of city owned property next to my place. While I can use my regular deer tags if I want to, I can shoot as many deer as I want to on that city permit. They want the breeder does out of there and I'm supposed to shoot those first. The wife doesn't eat the venison and she tells me that they are too cute to shoot, so mostly I just use them to help clean up the acorns in the yard. You city guys might have the same kind of a little known about city permit in your area as well. Some of the biggest bucks in the state aren't running the gauntlet out in the wolf, coyote, bear, hunter infested woods, they are living nicely right under your nose in the city limits.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Deer in the yard - 02/03/19
Just had a decent 3 point mulie walk down my driveway as I was reading this.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Deer in the yard - 02/03/19
Damn long legged rats. Eat everything that isn't covered or sprayed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: Deer in the yard - 02/03/19
I could if I chose to kill a couple deer most any day right off my porch. I have near unlimited anterless tags but rarely kill a doe as I like watching deer.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Deer in the yard - 02/03/19
Originally Posted by Windfall
I live on the edge of the city too, but where I live has too many deer within the city limits and I have an exclusive special city hunting permit to bow or crossbow hunt the mile of city owned property next to my place. While I can use my regular deer tags if I want to, I can shoot as many deer as I want to on that city permit. They want the breeder does out of there and I'm supposed to shoot those first. The wife doesn't eat the venison and she tells me that they are too cute to shoot, so mostly I just use them to help clean up the acorns in the yard. You city guys might have the same kind of a little known about city permit in your area as well. Some of the biggest bucks in the state aren't running the gauntlet out in the wolf, coyote, bear, hunter infested woods, they are living nicely right under your nose in the city limits.

Yea,Colorado Springs is wrestling with that same problem now . The bambi lovers are putting up a fight
Posted By: roof Re: Deer in the yard - 02/11/19
[Linked Image]
In the yard hell these are almost in the house.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Deer in the yard - 02/11/19
A few pic's of my yard. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer in the yard - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by sqweeler
] [Linked Image] ]

I'm pretty sure that one wouldn't have left my yard. grin
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Deer in the yard - 02/11/19
[Linked Image]

behind my house. Rio7
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
Pretty impressive for a blacktail.

[Linked Image]

Some friendly ones, too.

P
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
A few more.She keep's giving me triplet's just about every year.Big guy down below. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
Wow, triplets!

Twins are common here, but I don’t think I’ve even seen triplets.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
He wait's for me to feed him.I know him since he was born.He's 5 yrs old this year. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Filaman Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
If you go to South Texas around Cotulla to Ensinal the deer have bigger bodies but their racks are as big as a white tail gets. There's three keys to big racks, Genetics, Nutrients, and Age. If the local deer populace has any kind of decent level of protein available in the forage, and genetics potential and the deer are allowed to get to 3-4 years or more, you're going to see some nice racks. This happens in that part of Texas moreso than the rest of the state. People come from many states to hunt in South Texas for this reason. But the bodies aren't as massive as the northern deer. I used to hunt on my ex father in law's land in Central Missouri and I saw some massive bodied deer, but never saw a rack to surpass anything in South Texas.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19

Just this morning at sunrise....the usual bunch out the back door...36-38 head...

Bucks play hell on my shrubs & trees....rubbing & fighting with them.....oh well......

Turkeys once in a while too.......beats the hell outta neighbors......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by hanco
This was in October, he may be the deer facing away, almost in the brush. Wifey took this pic, also on our place.

[Linked Image]

damn. I havent seen anything like that since PA in the mid-late 70's.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Deer in the yard - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by hanco
I walked out this afternoon, saw this buck at the end of my place. I have oats and winter wheat planted between the buck and where I took this pic. I drive 4 hours to my lease. I’ve never seen a buck comparable to this one.

[Linked Image]

Dang! Wish I could get the pic to show up.
© 24hourcampfire