Home
Posted By: Tri70 Attractants for Deer - 11/04/19
Do you deer scent or flavored food attractant?
I like rock salt for both doe and bucks, may use a jar of peanut butter to. I like to put out Buck scent and make mock scapes.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/06/19
Grunt call, rattle bag
Posted By: skeen Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/06/19
Nope. It could be useful, I suppose, in some areas and circumstances.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/06/19
Corn and roasted soy bean mix.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/06/19
I do have a feeder in a food plot for the women and kids, but I wont hunt it. I hunt trails, logging roads, where the deer are eating acorns, edges, pinch points, etc.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
Deer dander and Vanilla Killa from the Fitzgeralds. Good stuff IME.

Another amazing option, when the rut is hot, is VS-1 in the stick. But it is too damned expensive.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19

Another amazing option, when the rut is hot, is VS-1 in the stick. But it is too damned expensive. [/quote]
The same company makes another product called Evercalm. Both products have produced some magic over the last 5 or 6 years.
Agree that the price is ugly.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Originally Posted by pahntr760

Another amazing option, when the rut is hot, is VS-1 in the stick. But it is too damned expensive.

The same company makes another product called Evercalm. Both products have produced some magic over the last 5 or 6 years.
Agree that the price is ugly.

I have found Deer Dander to be a direct replacement for EverCalm at a better price. Great products, both, however.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
Typically I just hunt good spots and high travel areas. We've had a good acorn crop this year and that helps.

The only food attractant I use is Corn-a-Plenty blocks from Southern States. It's not a mineral block, it's pressed corn, molasses, soy, salt & minerals, vitamins and some other stuff. They chew on it, but they only generally take a quick nibble as they're walking by. I've seen other critters hit it too. The thing fits perfectly in my back pack, so I can get them out there where I need them. A block might last a month in the early season when there's plenty of other food sources. But later on, especially when there's snow cover, a block might only last a week.

https://www.southernstates.com/cata...nshed-corn-a-plenty-wildlife-block-25-lb

I don't usually use buck lures. If I do, it's James Valley gel on a few branches. It's the only thing that I've actually seen work. Had a 6 point following a group of does and when he caught a whiff of that, he dropped them like a hot potato and came running in.

https://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/Full-Rut-Deer-Lure-Gel-p/frg.htm
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Grunt call, rattle bag

^^^THIS^^^
Posted By: SKane Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
For the last five years or so the best deer attractant has been my wife's Jeep. eek
Posted By: hanco Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
I don’t use anything
Posted By: tzone Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by SKane
For the last five years or so the best deer attractant has been my wife's Jeep. eek

shocked
Posted By: tzone Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
I used to use Tink's 69. But I've been without it for a few years now. I really don't notice much of a difference. 3-4 times I do know the bucks came down the scent trail and sniffed the Tink's I had on scent wick.
Posted By: Win70brett Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
The biggest deer I shoot are just traveling. Grunts, scents and rattling seems to only bring in the young ones for me.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
I’ve heard vanilla works? Any one confirm
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
I've only had deer scent and grunt call work one time, harvested a 7pt. buck that was following the trail of a group of does that had circled my stand. I gave a series of grunts just at dusk and the buck came right in following the scent of the does, I don't know if he was simply following the scent of the does or if the scent I put out and the grunting helped thing along or not. I like to think that it did.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/07/19
Try parking your truck out in front of the blind. This one walked by my shop and the wife and daughters cars just a few minutes ago.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
He headed off across the patch of clover and down the creek, making scrapes along the way.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by DrDeath
I’ve heard vanilla works? Any one confirm

Yes is can work as a good cover and attractant. It seems to spark curiosity and distracts the deer to help set-up a shot.
I’m in the less in best camp. A grunt call can be deadly. Some of my best bucks were grunted in just after they gave chase to a doe that is not quite ready. Also when they are just out trolling like pretty much right now.
Posted By: jwall Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/15/19
T 70

I used to use corn, scents, salt and peanut butter - not all at the same time.

The coons ate the peanut butter so I stopped feeding them.

Our deer seldom use/need salt during deer season. I put out a 50 # salt block and kept it replenished for several years.
Throughout 8 seasons I saw ONLY 1 deer, small buck, come to it during daylight.

However the deer had pawed the dirt in and around the blocks and the hole was about 28" wide from them using it at night and HOT weather. Other hunters have reported they have success with salt during seasons. I don't know what the diff is except maybe ? drier wx and or diff mineral content of the soil.

I no longer use any "bought" attractants.

I hunt natural sources that deer use. Natural vegetation, acorns, persimmons, water etc. ESPECIALLY Does! !

Yesterday I intercepted this 9 pt. 170 # buck (weighed whole) BEFORE he made it to this pond.

He had been tearing up saplings.

What I count on MOST is Does. Hunt the Does.... the Bucks will come.

Jerry
Posted By: Terryk Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/15/19
Nice buck Jerry.
Posted By: jwall Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/15/19
Thank you Terry.

Jerry
Lack of a tag usually brings them right in for me.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Attractants for Deer - 11/17/19
What I count on MOST is Does. Hunt the Does.... the Bucks will come.

I've told people that for years but I don't think they believe it,but I do.
Doe ass is the ULTIMATE attractant... be where they want to be or keep plenty of corn out if legal in your place. They will come
© 24hourcampfire