Home
Posted By: ewms Boys first time out with the ML - 11/09/19
I have never ML hunted so after the season ended last year I picked up a ML to extend the time that my son and I could spend together in the hunting woods and this was his first hunt with the ML. We were sitting together at the base of a tree half way up the ridge over looking a creek bottom when a much larger buck eased through the bottom; I patiently waited for him to shoot as the buck followed the creek and then started up the other side of the holler but he didn't take the shot and I'm a bit puzzled so I asked "why didn't you shoot?" and he stated "I didn't trust that I could make the shot", I said "OK, that's good to know" and we stayed put. About an hour later this fellow came in from about 80 yards up the ridge directly off my right shoulder and eased toward us. When his head dipped behind a tree I had to lean forward for the boy to have a clean safe shot and the next thing I know I feel an elbow sinking into my back and I remained motionless. The buck then lifts his head and starts to quarter back up the ridge when my son takes the shot. The smoke cleared and buck immediately dropped as he stood at the shot. Afterwards I asked my son about the elbow and he stated, "Dad, I figured it would help stabilize taking the shot", lol.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Congrats to your son on a fine buck!
Congratulations to your son and you!
Fine buck. He should eat well; looks like a fat pig!
Very nice buck, congrats on hunt. Sounds like great memories for years to come!
Very nice. Good job, both of you.
Great work:)
Very nice!!
congrats to the young man
Very nice buck that you and your son can both be proud of. Sounds like you've taught him well to know when to take the shot and when not to.
Congratulations, well done!!
Very cool. Congrats to your son.

Thanks for teaching him well.
Really cool. Congrats!
Nice
Thanks for all the kind comments. As frustrating as it was for me to watch the first buck ease through the creek bottom and up the opposite side of the ridge, I'm real proud of the boy (just turned 14) for not taking the shot when he didn't trust that he could make it. I told'em that's fine, we now know something we can work on.
Quite an accomplishment congratulations to you both...
nice buck, congratulations.
Awesome! Good one.
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Very cool. Congrats to your son.

Thanks for teaching him well.

Yep This !!

Well done.
Dad doubles as a shooting bench...Nice job! 😎
Great buck!
That buck appears to be a big bodies deer.....congrats to you both.
Heck ya! Congrats!
Alright! Congrats to the lad.
Congratulations to that young man! I have done the same thing with my daughter, she has killed a couple off my shoulder holding my hands over my ears. Great memories!
Nicely done!

Thanks for sharing the story and picture
© 24hourcampfire