Home
Posted By: fishdog52 NYS Opener - 11/18/19
Season opened Saturday to a cold clear day. Took 2 grandsons, their father, and a visiting South African out. Five bucks and an antlerless are
hanging in the spruce tree behind the house. 4 of the 5 bucks went straight down, last one was down but required a coup de grace.
Forecast is for perfect hanging weather all week, so will take advantage of that.
Lots of work processing into steaks and sausage are in the forecast for next weekend.
Everyone still has doe tags, but the pressure is off.
Should mention the boys got the 2 bigger bucks. Apparently, 270's loaded with JOC's load (4831 & 130 gr Partitions) still work.
In spite of being outdated according to most of what I read on the web.
Posted By: dubePA Re: NYS Opener - 11/18/19
Congrats on a successful family endeavor.

Comes as a mild shock to some, but "old stuff" that effectively killed big game critters 25, 50 and even over 100 years ago, actually still works pretty well today. Been hunting deer for nearly 60 years. My newest cartridge has been around since the early 60s and some others go back to the 1890s.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: NYS Opener - 11/19/19
I saw a 5-poiner on the opener. No shot opportunity, but wouldn't have shot anyway.
I passed on a 4-poiner yesterday. Only deer I saw.

Steve.
Posted By: Robster Re: NYS Opener - 11/19/19
Great to hear!!
I'm still skunked, but working to fill the freezer.
Enjoy the family and friends
Posted By: ChipM Re: NYS Opener - 11/19/19
Congrats on what sounds like a great family opener
Posted By: Blackheart Re: NYS Opener - 11/19/19
I killed a nice 7 point Saturday afternoon. Dropped instantly by a 150 gr. Federal Fusion from my .30-06. Cut it up, ground my burger and sausage, wrapped and in the freeezer yesterday. Relaxing today, back to work tomorrow. Will be looking to fill doe tags next weekend.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: NYS Opener - 11/19/19
Came in for pics. Severely disappointed.
© 24hourcampfire