Home
Here is my DIY Eastern Colorado Private land massive buck I killed on Halloween. Oct 30th I woke up at 2AM to drive 15 straight hours by myself from Indiana to Eastern Colorado. I arrived in Eastern Colorado at 3:30 and after a hour and a half visit with family I was out the door for a quick hunt/scout. I was unable to locate any deer that first evening. Next morning I was up early high on anticipation of what the day would hold. Having access to approximately 50,000 acres I had a lot of ground to cover. So I got my map out and started covering as much country as possible. After about a hour I came across this buck tending a doe. I continued to watch the buck and quickly learned that the property he was on was property I did not have permission to hunt on. After a few quick phone calls permission was granted and the waiting game began. I watched this big buck tend does, lip curl, and run four other smaller bucks off. After about a hour or so the does finally began to bed down and soon he did as well in a big CRP Field. I figured out the wind was steadily from the south so I drove around to the north of the deer and parked. There was a perfect berm that hid my mile and a half stalk. I kept peeking over the berm and glassed to try to locate the deer. Finally I found the ears of a big ol doe and knew I was close. Then behind her was one of the smaller bucks. Then all the does stood up and started feeding again. Then he stood up. I actually passed him up by 30 or so yards. He fed over to the does and with one well placed high shoulder shot from my Proof Research Glacier/TI in 6.5 PRC and a 140 VLD at 150 yards he went straight down. I can’t wait until I can draw the tag again!!!
[Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com]
So apparently photobucket does not work how it used to. Anyone kind enough to post pics for me? Sorry.
Holy cats Joel, congrats on a great looking buck.
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
Here is my DIY Eastern Colorado Private land massive buck I killed on Halloween. Oct 30th I woke up at 2AM to drive 15 straight hours by myself from Indiana to Eastern Colorado. I arrived in Eastern Colorado at 3:30 and after a hour and a half visit with family I was out the door for a quick hunt/scout. I was unable to locate any deer that first evening. Next morning I was up early high on anticipation of what the day would hold. Having access to approximately 50,000 acres I had a lot of ground to cover. So I got my map out and started covering as much country as possible. After about a hour I came across this buck tending a doe. I continued to watch the buck and quickly learned that the property he was on was property I did not have permission to hunt on. After a few quick phone calls permission was granted and the waiting game began. I watched this big buck tend does, lip curl, and run four other smaller bucks off. After about a hour or so the does finally began to bed down and soon he did as well in a big CRP Field. I figured out the wind was steadily from the south so I drove around to the north of the deer and parked. There was a perfect berm that hid my mile and a half stalk. I kept peeking over the berm and glassed to try to locate the deer. Finally I found the ears of a big ol doe and knew I was close. Then behind her was one of the smaller bucks. Then all the does stood up and started feeding again. Then he stood up. I actually passed him up by 30 or so yards. He fed over to the does and with one well placed high shoulder shot from my Proof Research Glacier/TI in 6.5 PRC and a 140 VLD at 150 yards he went straight down. I can’t wait until I can draw the tag again!!!
[Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com]
Need to add an "s", as in secure to the Http: addresses - Https:// !
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Need to add an "s", as in secure to the Http: addresses - Https:// !

That’s way above my pay grade!! 🤣
Awesome buck joel.......congrats!
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome buck joel.......congrats!

Yes, it is !

Got caught yup & forgot to send congratulations.
So apparently you guys can see the pictures??
Yep, blurry due to photobucket ransom, but .......

[Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i880.photobucket.com]
Try this

https://postimages.org/

Copy the hotlink and paste it here
Oh ya what a hammer!! Grats
Posted By: jwall Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/05/19
That is a DANDY ! Congrats.

I call them photoPUKIT. Yes, they've changed some. I use imgur.com

Jerry
Posted By: Ebby Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/06/19
Awesome work Joel!

Lee
Posted By: GregW Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/06/19
Congrats Joel....
Heavy sumbitch there!!

Congrats!!
Joel, that is a good one, congrats.
Nice!!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There are some big Mulies in Eastern Colorado in some of the areas I’ve been too. Nice !!!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Try this

https://postimages.org/

Copy the hotlink and paste it here

Thank you sir. Worked like a charm and very simple.
Got a chance to score him Joel? He's such a cool buck with that narrow frame with good mass. Just curious..

Congrats again...
Originally Posted by GregW
Got a chance to score him Joel? He's such a cool buck with that narrow frame with good mass. Just curious..

Congrats again...

Take a wild guess? I’ll let you know in a bit. Kind of shocked me. I’ll tell you he has 40 honest inches of mass.
Nice buck!
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

With 40"of mass you are likely close but I'll say low 170's. I've been burned bad with photos...grin....
Posted By: skeen Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/06/19
Very nice!
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

With 40"of mass you are likely close but I'll say low 170's. I've been burned bad with photos...grin....

I scored him right at 165. He is only 16.5 inside. I am definitely not a score person but thought he would score more. IMO he is way more impressive than a spindly 190 buck. Plus he was a mature old buck.
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

I scored him right at 165. He is only 16.5 inside. I am definitely not a score person but thought he would score more. IMO he is way more impressive than a spindly 190 buck. Plus he was a mature old buck.

I’d of damn sure shot him!
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

Score means jack, it's just part of the story bit yeah - spread affecta beam length and obviously spread credit ...

If you like him, all that matters. Really cool buck....

PS - a spindly 190" buck would actually be really impressive with poor mass as his time length would be impressive...
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

Score means jack, it's just part of the story bit yeah - spread affecta beam length and obviously spread credit ...

If you like him, all that matters. Really cool buck....

PS - a spindly 190" buck would actually be really impressive with poor mass as his time length would be impressive...

Agreed. I don’t like him I love him!!! Lol. When I saw the mass on him it was on like donkey Kong!!!
Posted By: SLM Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/06/19
Neat buck.

Congrats.
Awesome deer. Congrats
Posted By: TDN Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/06/19
Great buck! Love the mass!

(and nice Tundra, too!)
Hell yeah! LIKE Button 😎
I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

I don't know, this spindly 195 5/8 aint bad. I hunt a lot of mulies for clients and myself, yours is nice for sure. this old boy was 9.5 and lost a lot of mass from what he was.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful buck - congrats! Really like your choice of rifles also - he do you like that Proof rifle??
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Beautiful buck - congrats! Really like your choice of rifles also - he do you like that Proof rifle??

I have been fortunate to shoot and hunt with many many rifles over the years. Both custom and factory. This is my favorite. It shoots outstanding weighs 8 pounds even with the NX8. I was 6 for 6 with it this fall from 80-560 yards and not one critter took a step after the Shot. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Great buck man, congrats
Great buck! Looks like you stacked 'em up this fall!
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
[quote=chlinstructor]I’m gonna guess 176. 🤠

I don't know, this spindly 195 5/8 aint bad. I hunt a lot of mulies for clients and myself, yours is nice for sure. this old boy was 9.5 and lost a lot of mass from what he was.

Even with all those deductions on the extra tines he still netted 195+?

Cool!!!

In Eastern Colorado it seems there are a higher proportion of narrowish,, high rack bucks.

Love the mass on that guy. Nice buck!
Great deer!
Congrats Joel, that’s a great buck. Love the character in the mass.
That Proof Research sounds like a peach.
Nice buck you got there!
That is impressive mass. Congrats.

Very nice deer!
That’s a really nice buck! Congrats!
One heck of a Mulie !
Posted By: efw Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/09/19
Awesome buck man congratulations!
Really nice buck! Congrats!
Posted By: tzone Re: Eastern Colorado with mass!! - 12/10/19
Awesome buck! Congrats!
I love that mass, he could probably make it through whole seasons without getting any antlers broken.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I love that mass, he could probably make it through whole seasons without getting any antlers broken.

Funny you say that. He had a broken eye guard. Lol.
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Funny you say that. He had a broken eye guard. Lol.

Oh yeah now I see. A buck like this may have been shy about his mass challenged eye guards and could be breaking them off himself.
© 24hourcampfire