Home
Posted By: SKane Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Once again my father and I made the trek to south central KS to chase whitetails. Well, one of us would be chasing whitetails – I didn’t draw a tag this year. Record applicants in 2019 resulted in SKane relegated to coyotes and sitting with dad (Whelen Nut). Not having a tag didn’t take all that much shine off the apple for me as I flat-out look forward to just experiencing this place, visiting with the ranch owner and quality time spent with pops – all of it trumps the buck tag.

We generally arrive 3-4 days prior to the hunt and it was obvious this year would be a wee different – winter wheat that’s so prevalent to the region didn’t get a lick of precipitation since it’d been put in the ground 5-6 weeks prior to our arrival. Coupled with the mild weather, the deer really had no reason to be frequenting the river bottom and fields – opting for open pastures and cuts – many of them off the ranch (and staying off) due to the corn-flingers on what seems like every property that touches the ranch.

I managed to glass a good one the eve before the season but it’d be at least 4, maybe 5 days for the right wind to make a play on him and dad wasn’t having any of that. laugh

His game plan was simple – if he was lucky enough to see a 4.5 y/o it’d be considered bird-in-hand – regardless of head gear or his either/or tag would go on a yearling doe toward the end of the season.

The first morning was rather uneventful with a couple of young bucks spotted. With a mid-day wind shift to the south, our options get a bit more limited so we opted to watch the back of a bedding area from across the river. As we approached the steep bank of the river’s treeline via field, I cautioned dad we’d best keep noise to a minimum as deer like to lay in the 20 yards of brush and timber on our side too. I’d no more spoke those words when a 3.5 y/o 10pt broke from the cover and into the river. Dad could see the buck and whispered “too small” but he couldn’t see the other buck I was looking at also standing in the river. I could hear another deer stirring below the bank and knew from both bucks’ mannerisms and failure to exit stage-right that it was likely a doe that was smelling about right. “Another buck I whispered – it’s your 4.5 y/o – shoot”. A large tree shielded dad’s view of the deer and he finally got to put eyes on him when he followed the doe scrambling across the river. “Too much brush in the way – can’t shoot”.

We stood at the treeline and watched both bucks on the other side of the meadow finally melt into the bedding area – seemingly unphased at what had just transpired. I mentioned to dad that if he wanted that buck, we could slowly get him into position on the edge of the river and I’d break out the horns and create war hidden from view in a shallow depression behind him.

“Yep, we’re sticking to my original bird-in-hand plan – let’s do it”.

I wouldn’t get to see the bulk of the action but I’d be able to see dad. I wasn’t 30 seconds into my commotion when dad gave a circular motion with his hand to keep it up. Soon I could see a set of antlers dancing above the grass on the other side, then another set that seemed to be a twin to the first. Then yet ANOTHER 20” wide 3.5 y/o and I said a prayer that he’d get a pass. Soon all three bucks were focused on my position, oblivious to dad, and when I saw a fourth set of antlers coming to the bank, I braced myself for the rifle’s report. His 7600/6.5 Creedmoor spoke, followed by the familiar “puck” and dad had his deer.

I quietly made my way to dad and we both stood there chuckling over what had just transpired.

Fortunately, some time back the ranch owner showed me a few trick moves in getting a vehicle back to that locale from the other side so I got to stay out of the river for retrieval.

The sun was fading fast when we finally got to the deer so we managed a few photos and took care of the field dressing duties.

Penitentiary face (*grins*) and his deer:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So now the focus turned to yearling does. And they were seemingly harder to come by than something with antlers. Countless does with fawns (that we refuse to target) seen and what seemed to be an above normal amount of small does (yearlings) with single fawns.

Dad managed a doe one morning with a special rifle that I had in my possession for the season. Some of you will recognize the BobinNH commemorative .270 on loan from battue. I got to use it for our WI deer season and it seemed fitting to bloody it in KS where Bob, dad and I shared a hunt together – before I pass along on to another member (thank you battue - your rock, my friend).

The coyotes also caught some hell on this trip. And in my pursuit of them around the outskirts of the ranch, walked up on next year’s hope, totally oblivious to my presence. OK, all the stuff I said earlier about the shine not being off the apple sans tag - now I really wished I had my buck tag. laugh laugh

Couple of random shots from the ranch.

It's quite refreshing to hunt a place like this in a manner that's unlike the way most whitetail hunting is today - it's a working cattle ranch with no deer feeders, cameras or specialized food plots. It makes each year unique and we're never quite sure what we're in for - other than a great experience and seeing good (and uber-accommodating) friends. And a lot of Casey's breakfast pizza. blush

##

Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Beautiful pics Scott! Pig of a buck there. One of these days when I grow up I’m gonna hunt the Midwest.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
I know that face from somewhere...… Good to hear you got a good one Whelen Nut! And a 6.5 what? No 358? Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Most excellent pictures as always Skane. And congrats to your dad, that is a fine buck.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Always look forward to this report, it never disappoints. You're a fortunate man Scott.
Posted By: Judman Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Great buck, pics and write up Scott. Thanks
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Great Job! Hunting stories with dad never get old...

Happy you are making memories, Scott.

I had many with my old guy...He’s gone now, but the time spent hunting together I think about often.

😎
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Another thread I always look forward to. Excellent story telling followed by a nice buck and great pictures. Thanks again.
Posted By: davidlea Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Great write up and pics Scott, proud of you and your dad for getting it done! Thanks for sharing... As for not having the tag I understand both sides of that having spent a week hunting antelope with my brother and nephew in Montana without one-but one of the better hunts I've had.

Congats and Happy Holidays to you both.

David
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Congrats to you and your dad, great story and pics.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Good for him!

Glad y'all can enjoy each other's company on a hunt..
Posted By: skeen Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Great story, Skane. Congrats Whelen Nut and oh yeah, Casey's breakfast pizza is a Kansas hunting and fishing staple!
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Great hunt. Congrats to Paul! I’m glad he scored. I hope you both get another trip next year to find that monster in the pic!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Well done! You are truly blessed to be able to hunt with your father.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Great read and awesome pictures to bring it home. Experiences that money can't buy.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/22/19
Sorry to hear you didn't pull a tag, It is nice to see you with your father.

Wishing you all the best.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Congratulations to Paul on a nice buck.

"Fortunately, some time back the ranch owner showed me a few trick moves in getting a vehicle back to that locale from the other side so I got to stay out of the river for retrieval."

Did you still have a kayak for backup?

Paul has told us you are good at dragging deer. Did you use the skill to any great extent? laugh
Posted By: hangunnr Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
As usual another great hunt.

Hope you enjoy and cherish the time with your father, can’t get mine to hit the woods anymore.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Great write up and pictures.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Wayne, Scott got to show off his dragging skills with the doe. I'm of absolutely no help to him with that anymore. I had trouble just trying to keep up with him while dragging it to the truck. smirk
Posted By: 54Woody Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Good deal Scott. Next year will seem sweeter now. My Dad died in '83 but he is with me on every hunt.

Woody
Posted By: kingston Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Great stuff you two!!!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Originally Posted by kingston
Great stuff you two!!!

I have never seen a better one-two punch when putting down whitetails.
Posted By: RNF Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Congrats to your dad and thanks for the pictures and story enjoyed them.
Originally Posted by SKane

I managed to glass a good one the eve before the season but it’d be at least 4, maybe 5 days for the right wind to make a play on him and dad wasn’t having any of that. laugh

His game plan was simple – if he was lucky enough to see a 4.5 y/o it’d be considered bird-in-hand – regardless of head gear or his either/or tag would go on a yearling doe toward the end of the season.

The first morning was rather uneventful with a couple of young bucks spotted. With a mid-day wind shift to the south, our options get a bit more limited so we opted to watch the back of a bedding area from across the river. As we approached the steep bank of the river’s treeline via field, I cautioned dad we’d best keep noise to a minimum as deer like to lay in the 20 yards of brush and timber on our side too. I’d no more spoke those words when a 3.5 y/o 10pt broke from the cover and into the river. Dad could see the buck and whispered “too small” but he couldn’t see the other buck I was looking at also standing in the river. I could hear another deer stirring below the bank and knew from both bucks’ mannerisms and failure to exit stage-right that it was likely a doe that was smelling about right. “Another buck I whispered – it’s your 4.5 y/o – shoot”. A large tree shielded dad’s view of the deer and he finally got to put eyes on him when he followed the doe scrambling across the river. “Too much brush in the way – can’t shoot”.

We stood at the treeline and watched both bucks on the other side of the meadow finally melt into the bedding area – seemingly unphased at what had just transpired. I mentioned to dad that if he wanted that buck, we could slowly get him into position on the edge of the river and I’d break out the horns and create war hidden from view in a shallow depression behind him.

“Yep, we’re sticking to my original bird-in-hand plan – let’s do it”.

I wouldn’t get to see the bulk of the action but I’d be able to see dad. I wasn’t 30 seconds into my commotion when dad gave a circular motion with his hand to keep it up. Soon I could see a set of antlers dancing above the grass on the other side, then another set that seemed to be a twin to the first. Then yet ANOTHER 20” wide 3.5 y/o and I said a prayer that he’d get a pass. Soon all three bucks were focused on my position, oblivious to dad, and when I saw a fourth set of antlers coming to the bank, I braced myself for the rifle’s report. His 7600/6.5 Creedmoor spoke, followed by the familiar “puck” and dad had his deer.

I quietly made my way to dad and we both stood there chuckling over what had just transpired.

Fortunately, some time back the ranch owner showed me a few trick moves in getting a vehicle back to that locale from the other side so I got to stay out of the river for retrieval.

The sun was fading fast when we finally got to the deer so we managed a few photos and took care of the field dressing duties.

Penitentiary face (*grins*) and his deer:

So now the focus turned to yearling does. And they were seemingly harder to come by than something with antlers. Countless does with fawns (that we refuse to target) seen and what seemed to be an above normal amount of small does (yearlings) with single fawns.

Dad managed a doe one morning with a special rifle that I had in my possession for the season. Some of you will recognize the BobinNH commemorative .270 on loan from battue. I got to use it for our WI deer season and it seemed fitting to bloody it in KS where Bob, dad and I shared a hunt together – before I pass along on to another member (thank you battue - your rock, my friend).

The coyotes also caught some hell on this trip. And in my pursuit of them around the outskirts of the ranch, walked up on next year’s hope, totally oblivious to my presence. OK, all the stuff I said earlier about the shine not being off the apple sans tag - now I really wished I had my buck tag. laugh laugh

It's quite refreshing to hunt a place like this in a manner that's unlike the way most whitetail hunting is today - it's a working cattle ranch with no deer feeders, cameras or specialized food plots. It makes each year unique and we're never quite sure what we're in for - other than a great experience and seeing good (and uber-accommodating) friends. And a lot of Casey's breakfast pizza. blush

##

I know some of you have had the opportunity to hunt with Scott over the years in other locales and would probably readily agree that it usually doesn't always turn out to be a 'typical or classic' type of hunt-- where the game shows up 75yds from the stand and a broadside shot is presented. That just doesn't seem to ever happen. There is always some abnormality like FOUR bucks showing up all at once to get your blood boiling.You just can't make this chit up!
crazy
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Nice Skane. South central sounds like where my Granddaughter and Grandson hunt on their home place, but I'd guess you're further west.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I know that face from somewhere...… Good to hear you got a good one Whelen Nut! And a 6.5 what? No 358? Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Hey Rusty, thanks! The big bores are reserved for the big woods. I like the 6.5 and 270 for the wide-open spaces. grin
Originally Posted by tzone
Great hunt. Congrats to Paul! I’m glad he scored. I hope you both get another trip next year to find that monster in the pic!

Thanks, Tom. I hope Scott gets his eyes on him again next year with his 6.5 in hand.
Posted By: jwall Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Slap On The Back for Both of Ya.
Always enjoy the pix & story of your hunts.

Jerry
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Great report - congrats on the buck and spending some quality time together!
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
That's a great buck !! Conglads. Are you planning on coming back to Vanzant? Bob
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Thanks, Tom. I hope Scott gets his eyes on him again next year with his 6.5 in hand.

I hope you do! laugh
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Always a great story from your annual Kansas deer hunts. How did you Dad find a Remington 7600 in 6.5 Creed? A special Run?
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Wayne, Scott got to show off his dragging skills with the doe. I'm of absolutely no help to him with that anymore. I had trouble just trying to keep up with him while dragging it to the truck. smirk

You guys are building some great memories! Congratulations.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Good stuff Skane...another great buck for you and pops and more treasured memories, thanks for including "The Bob" ....nice picks too!
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Well told...I, too, look forward to your reports...never disappoint!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Great hunt for the father & son, again!

Next year that big buck is going to be a 24hourcampfire STAR!

Thanks for the excellent write up Scott...........congratulations to your father on the beauty of a buck.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
That's a great buck !! Conglads. Are you planning on coming back to Vanzant? Bob

Bob..it all depends on which week I draw for my WI turkey tag. Spring turkey is a priority, here. crazy
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Always a great story from your annual Kansas deer hunts. How did you Dad find a Remington 7600 in 6.5 Creed? A special Run?

Doc, Nathan at Hillbilly Rifles created it for me. It is now my favorite/go-to deer rifle for the wide-open places. grin
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19

Bob..it all depends on which week I draw for my WI turkey tag. Spring turkey is a priority, here. crazy

LOVE spring turkey! Possibly my favorite hunt.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
This is Awesome Scott! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: iddave Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/23/19
Nicely done gentlemen.

A lot of deer have fallen to the Kane Clan over the years!

Dave
Posted By: aalf Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/24/19

Well done again...... a big thumbs up......

[Linked Image from emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com]
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/24/19

Mine to. That's a Merriam in my avatar
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/24/19
as usual another stud buck falls to the Kane Klan
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/25/19
And it wasn't a 35 WHELEN? I may bring the 7600 to the Van Zant spring get together. Just so you can see it. It isn't engraved with gold and silver or fancy wood. Just a rebored 7600. He might like it. It will be a great truck gun. Hope you keep stacking the big ones up. And the feathered pigs. Turkey season is closer now too. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: TBurroughs Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/26/19
Mmmmm, Casey’s breakfast pizza.....one of the best things about hunting the Midwest! Congrats on a great hunt!
Posted By: Ebby Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/26/19
Awesome once again Scott! Great job and what a dandy of a buck for "next year".

Lee
Posted By: saddlering Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/27/19
Congrads Guys! Nice old buck, Great Pics sounds like a Great Hunt every year!
Posted By: pointer Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/27/19
Very well done! Awesome that you two are able to do these hunts together.

PS- I have lots of KS points... wink laugh
Posted By: Lonny Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/27/19
Another great hunt write-up about the Kane Clan hunt in KS. Always enjoy this one.

Thanks for sharing the story and pics!
Posted By: efw Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/27/19
Awesome work gentlemen great write up congratulations on an amazing experience glad you can enjoy one another that way so cool I always enjoy m your stories!
Posted By: jaydub in wi Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/27/19
Nicely done, gentlemen. That buck is a beauty
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/27/19
Awesome story! Thanks for the writeup!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/29/19
Scott, I know it takes a lot of time to put together a trip report like that. Sitting here on a nasty weather Sunday morning, it made great reading over a cup of coffee. Thank you. So glad you get to spend time afield with your father.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/29/19
Excellent Scott!
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/30/19
"His 7600/6.5 Creedmoor spoke...."
Need to know more about this creature!
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/30/19
Originally Posted by mrchongo

I had Nathan @ Hillbilly Rifles.com in Vermont rebuild a spare 7600 in 308Win a couple of years ago. Cerecoated metal, trigger job, new Hart bbl @ 20", original stock textured/painted, new short pad. Think that covers it. It's become my go-to deer rifle.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/31/19
Classy gesture by battue. I saw this one coming. wink
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/31/19

Mine to. That's a Merriam in my avatar

One of theses days I'll get out and try to find a few of those.
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/31/19
Originally Posted by mrchongo

I had Nathan @ Hillbilly Rifles.com in Vermont rebuild a spare 7600 in 308Win a couple of years ago. Cerecoated metal, trigger job, new Hart bbl @ 20", original stock textured/painted, new short pad. Think that covers it. It's become my go-to deer rifle.

I'm glad you like it. I love that gun, it's a great looking rifle. Refresh my memory....is that barrel fluted?
Posted By: SKane Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/31/19
Here's a pict of Whelen Nut's rifle (bottom) sans optic.
I'm nearly certain it's a Hart #3.

Posted By: kingston Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/31/19
What are the details on the one with the orange pad?
Posted By: SKane Re: Kansas 2019 - 12/31/19
kingston,

That's my .270 in one of Nathan Chesney's stocks. He did a little work to the 700 action to include a new bolt handle as well. Triggertech trigger, Hawkins BM, KickEEZ pad.
My original intent for the rifle was 280 (AI) and about the time Nathan was ready to work on it, BobinNH passed away. So, Bob's commemorative rifle got my slot and in talking to Nathan later on, he had the same contour (#3) Hart in .277 so I went that route for sentimental reasons. smile

It has remarkable affection for the 129 LRX.
© 24hourcampfire