Home
Posted By: kenjs1 Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
Pretty sure this was the symmetrical 10 pointer I had in sights opening day but let it walk in order so that a friend in a dry spell might get a shot at it. He screwed up and took a lesser buck against my advice and I thought this guy was gone forever. and didn't see him since....OF COURSE!

Last thing I told my son before going to the stand - which would be the last day we were getting to hunt this year - was "maybe I will get lucky and see that one I saw opening day again" but I was certain he was already taken. Super foggy morning. I told him things would start slow and it was later than normal when he appeared.

120 Sierrs Pro Hunter out of 260 Rem Browning A-bolt. Clipped the top of the heart . No exit. Short run. He was very close when I shot him.

First I thought he was one of the big culls I said I would get rid of.......but then.....

[Linked Image]

Tall isn't he? 4-1/2 year old and a heavy sucker for these parts.

[Linked Image]

Massive brow tines. He is going on the wall. Son got his doe half hour later. New processor- will even do tamales and beef sticks. I am a lucky man! Blessings.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
A beauty! Congrats.
Posted By: efw Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
bro nice work that’s a beautiful buck I’m really happy for ya!

Did you recover the bullet?
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
Nice buck. Congrats.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
It certainly was foggy if you're talking about this past weekend.

Excellent whack job.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by efw
bro nice work that’s a beautiful buck I’m really happy for ya!

Did you recover the bullet?

Thanks Eric.

No, I didn't bother trying really. Should have. Did feel the far side ribs pretty broken . For whatever reason I had a hard time cleaning him. Just brain fart on my part. I was loading this in the truck to take to back of the lease to start field dressing when my son shot his doe. Took us half an hour to find his and I just wanted to get mine cooled down asap. Man- big boy was full of acorns. Not sure if he found the pile I brought from home and dumped at the back of the lease or not.

You know- for absorbing 2k ft\lbs how the heck did it not get knocked on it arse? ( No - I didn't call Sierra lol) He didn't go far but he hid pretty well. Least he expired just before a boggy bottom.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
Very nice. Congrats!
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
Congrats !
Posted By: roundoak Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/07/20
Real nice buck, congrats.
Nice buck. Congratulations.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
congrats on a nice buck
Posted By: skeen Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
Nice buck, kenjs1!
Posted By: SKane Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
A happy ending to the season! Congrats!
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
It's always nice when it comes together at the last minute. Congrats!
Nice!!! Congratulations!

Which County did you take him in ?
Posted By: jwall Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
Very GOOD ! cool
I'm jealous. sick

Jerry
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Nice!!! Congratulations!

Which County did you take him in ?

Bosque county.

JWall- thanks man- and yep- that is what I was going for :-)
He sure is has a tall rack.

Good shot.Deer tamales have never heard of them bet they be good.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/08/20
He's a dandy!

Congrats!
Posted By: hanco Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/09/20
Congrats, damn fine buck!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/09/20
Thanks all- got a call saying the meat is ready. When I try out some tamales I will post here..

Along those lines I got a buddy who cooked up and ate the shanks given by another hunter friend who recommended it . Any one else do those? He loved it enough to cook em for Christmas dinner at his house. That is a new one on me.
My old processor in Moran would grind up all the neck and give me a twenty pond bag of grissley meat. Dogs loved it. He also gave m the ribs which had scant meat on it. I tossed em on the grill and was going to give em to the dogs but I took a bite an they were delicious- ZERO prep- not even salt.
pretty one
Nice!!!!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/09/20
Nice shootin' Tex......congrats on a fine buck.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/09/20
Congrats!!!
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/09/20
Congratulations.

Very nice looking deer and a nice shot too.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/10/20
thank you Jeffbird- I was pretty stoked about it. Getting it mounted.
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/11/20
I think the shanks are some of the best meat on the deer when prepared correctly. They are a very tough yet flavorful cut of meat that must be cooked low and slow in braising liquid. Otherwise, they will be like chewing boot leather. I actually think they are better than the tenderloins. I cooked them for the first time last season with this recipe:

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/7/8/recipe-braised-venison-shank/

Originally Posted by kenjs1
Thanks all- got a call saying the meat is ready. When I try out some tamales I will post here..

Along those lines I got a buddy who cooked up and ate the shanks given by another hunter friend who recommended it . Any one else do those? He loved it enough to cook em for Christmas dinner at his house. That is a new one on me.
My old processor in Moran would grind up all the neck and give me a twenty pond bag of grissley meat. Dogs loved it. He also gave m the ribs which had scant meat on it. I tossed em on the grill and was going to give em to the dogs but I took a bite an they were delicious- ZERO prep- not even salt.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Late Season Texas luck - 01/11/20
Nice Buck, congratulations.
© 24hourcampfire