Home
I need to build a couple of new feeders to replace some old ones. That’s about it. I would like to build another round piggie trap, but I don’t know if I will get to it.

What do you need to do to get ready for next year?
It’s only 8 months until bow season in Texas.
I’ll be putting up a ladder stand this weekend as I am hoping to get my first with a recurve next fall. Other than that, lots of practice with bow for me and rifle for daughter. It will be her first deer season.
Scout a new spot. Pretty barren, where I am.
Get one that's been fattening up on my chickpeas. Some good eating coming up!!!
Just finished putting out mineral mixs for deer... feeder maintenence and soil samples for food plots... dozer work on a new tract I bought... move stands... it never ends... and I like it like that...
No, too far out, with it just now being over I need to try and keep it off my mind, makes the wait that much worse, rolling by and seeing this deer hunting forum is bad enough.
I plan to be on a mountain top in Sullivan county PA just like every other year. It's what makes me happy.
I hear ya Mike. I think I might hunt bear season next fall in-lieu of deer. Got enough deer down here where I’m at.
i just continue feeding deer this winter,once the snow is gone i will fertilize the clover,around may .
In about two weeks, I'll go out and remove my hang-on stands and loosen the straps on my ladder stands. Probably move a couple stand locations, so I'll trim limbs and new shooting lanes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a few of the 3.5 year old bucks I passed made it through the season, and I'll see them in the Fall.

Then, it'll be time to hunt coyotes and scout new ground and keep an eye out for sheds.
The fellow I hunt on, called to tell me that a friend of his, has another 180 acres that he needs the deer thinned off of. I told him I know some people...
Like gunner said, it's a LONG way out but I do have a couple ideas.

I made a 'plan' last Spring and then changed it so.... we'll see how this plan works out.

I have killed so many (not bragging) deer with 243/6mm, 270, 06, & 300 mag that I

"PLAN" to use my M 98 284 Win more AND my T3X SS Lite 7mm RM more.
I have killed a few deer with both rifles but I LIKE EM and enjoy hunting both.

OH ! I pan to kill more than 2 next year. lol
I could have killed more than 2 this past season but I 'chose' to wait for Mr. Big.-- Didn't work out.

Jerry
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The fellow I hunt on, called to tell me that a friend of his, has another 180 acres that he needs the deer thinned off of. I told him I know some people...

HELL O ! grin

Jerry
Planning food plots on 3 different private properties.

I have already been scouting news national Forest stands further from access points.

Hope to build a deer shanty out back

Find a place to hunt out of state with my boys that won't interrupt high school football season
Originally Posted by TomM1
I hear ya Mike. I think I might hunt bear season next fall in-lieu of deer. Got enough deer down here where I’m at.

Nothing better in my mind than Bear season in State Game Lands 13.
Yup. Got a few alpine basins to scout this summer.
Next season? Heck this season still has 7-22 days left according to where you hunt in the state.
January 31 here in the zone I live in, February 15 south of here.
Ronnie
Just hoping after this past years EHD slaughter the 2 bucks I have on camera grow up.....

I’m not excited about the next few years..
Trying to find a lease close to home. Didn't get to hunt this year so I built 3 guns. powdr
Hunt same thicket as last yr.
Two proly over 140" this coming fall.
Try with recurve.

Farmer owns both sides, One strip acts as feeder to thicket.
East to west travel.
Topo and wind suck for a stand where trees are.

Only option IMHO is a tripod in a scrub island.
See what game cams say late summer.
Might take my youngest this yr.
She seems interested.
21, but has screwed up shoulders so have to buy her an X bow.
And proly a ground blind.

Set her up where I shot my 2019 buck. Last week of early archery it should be dynamite (again).
I am going to build a box stand to replace a ladder at one of my good spots. My son hunts there and manages to let all the deer see him out in the open.
One of my other places I am going to get a tripod to replace a ladder in a bulldozed lane. It will allow me to cover 300 yards in 2 directions as opposed to 200 one way and 100 in the other.
We are going to plant some wheat and clover next year too.
Plans for next year: kill a deer. Rifle, bow, truck. Don't matter the weapon.
Scout more. Hunting a property now that's much more difficult to hunt but has much better potential than my old place.

Also need to put some money into my bow. Needs new strings, rest (looking at a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter) and running low on arrows.
I picked a new rifle blind just to day, I think I know where I want to put it but that could change, there is a lot of time between now and then !!!
Applying in both New Mexico and adjacent Arizona.
We are redoing the layout of our property. It's a nice chunk of land ( just under 100 acres) but past owners set it up wrong, roads etc.

Just had it logged so now were gonna redo roads and anything else we can change to keep the deer in the middle.

Gonna burn alot of 2 stroke and diesel but in the next couple of years I'm hoping its good.
I've still got through 2/10.....grin....

Next year may be a bit different for me. I usually hunt mountain sides. Some of it's a bit of work to get to. Going to have a hip resurfaced later this year and "total" recovery for it is one year. I'm hoping to be able to make it up the rough stuff but if not I'll see what it's like to hunt ag fields a bit more....which means I'll spend a little more time with the fat rifles spinning dials over the summer.
Just to live long enough to see opening day. laugh laugh
Sit about 15' up a tree, freeze my balls off every day and wait on a big one that probably won't show up.

May actually settle on a small.one next year just to get it outta the way so I can go catch some crappie before the water hardens or it just gets to cold to be on the water.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Sit about 15' up a tree, freeze my balls off every day and wait on a big one that probably won't show up.

I'm going to Texas and hunt Axis in the WARM June weather. This post reminded me of why... laugh
Best of luck.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I'm going to Texas and hunt Axis in the WARM June weather. This post reminded me of why... laugh

I am always torqued up opening morning but by about 10 oclock the second day I have second thoughts!!
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've still got through 2/10.....grin....

Next year may be a bit different for me. I usually hunt mountain sides. Some of it's a bit of work to get to. Going to have a hip resurfaced later this year and "total" recovery for it is one year. I'm hoping to be able to make it up the rough stuff but if not I'll see what it's like to hunt ag fields a bit more....which means I'll spend a little more time with the fat rifles spinning dials over the summer.
Good luck with the recovery. Sons baseball coach had a full hip replacement. Took him a bit to get going, but he's loving it now.

I'll be up on Eagle Mountain
Gotta finish this season first. Still got 9 more days!
Yes. Kodiak for Blacktail. And elevation AZ for crossbow Coues.
Get my old 270 pillar bedded
Originally Posted by hanco
What do you need to do to get ready for next year?

Get some guns ready to go. Which ones .. depends on what tags I get. Hunting public land, there are no feeders to mess with (it would be illegal to put them out here, considered baiting, and you'd lose your hunting privs for 5 years or so if caught), no hunting shack to maintain, nothing like that. Totally different hunting culture than the Southern US.

I expect it most likely that I'll draw the muzzleloader tag I put in for. It's a unit that I have hunted off and on for over 40 years. There are no roads I don't know about, no trails I don't know about, nothing new map-wise to figure out. I know it like the back of my hand. There is no real point in scouting ahead of time because the ML season hits just after the rut begins and everything we thought we learned about the deer in summer and early fall is thrown by the wayside when the rut kicks in. The bastards that stayed holed up within a 200 yard circle for 6 months vanish and reappear 5-6 miles away.

If I don't get the ML tag, then I need to work a bit more with my .308, chart out the drop at longer distance, stuff like that. The gun is fundamentally good. It shot a 1.34" 3 shot group at 320 yards last September and it gave me a 1.1" 200 yard group last weekend with a different scope. It has never moved 'cept when I adjusted the scope, not a quarter of an inch. I would like to stretch it out to 400, maybe 450, and chart how the drop tracks with the B&C crosshair so if I get some longer shooting potential (most of where I hunt is 75 yards or less but there are a couple interesting burns and I found a little water hole in one which is most intriguing early in the season) I'll be ready.

Tom
Lots of rabbit, squirrel and turkey hunting, woodchuck killing and fishing to do between now and then. I'll wait till fall to start thinking about deer hunting.
Chasing blacktails as usual, Lord willing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Going to set up an archery target and do some practicing this summer with my old Browning Cobra. Wouldn't mind trying out a little crossbow.
Try to shoot a few hundred rifle rounds. And try my hand at reloading a few.

Get a hog or two and maybe a deer.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Hunting public land, there are no feeders to mess with (it would be illegal to put them out here, considered baiting, and you'd lose your hunting privs for 5 years or so if caught), no hunting shack to maintain, nothing like that. Totally different hunting culture than the Southern US

It's illegal to bait deer on public land in the south too.
I have s couple of rifles I need to sight in. Need a couple repaired. A Sako that slam fires ( bought it that way) and a 26 Nosler has a broken firing pin
Have some pretty serious lame trimming to do. And either build a new box stand or some renovations to an existing one.
Hanco: Last season I and a friend saw a Booner Whitetail on a remote corner of the huge ranch I have permission to Hunt on - I hope he is still alive and well (growing!) - I'll get after him again if I'm still around "next season".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire