Home
Will be investing in a few new protein feeders soon. 1,000 lb minimum and not much larger.

What have ya’ll had best experience with? Type, mfg, etc

Thanks.
Take a look at Lamco feeders, especially if you want timed feeding.
There’s probably not much difference between free choice feeders. Hasbeen
Thanks. Probably not going the timer route!
Currently feeding out of a covered trough feeder but plan to upgrade to this next year. Going to spend my money on liming my food plots this year.

https://www.outbackfeeders.com/protein-feeders.php
Banks and Boss Buck are all I use
Boss buck
Venado feeders are the best I've ever seen in use. I have not seen them all though.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I bought three boss buck feeders and did not have any deer using them for 4 months. Sold them and replaced with Spincast (Texas) spinners on a 55 gal drum on a 14foot tripod. Deer used them IMMEDIATELY as did the snooters and turkeys. I WANTED to have the gravity feeders work... really would have been easier and less expensive, but the critters did not like them here... lots of other people have good results with them though.... and yes, I had them at the correct level/height.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I bought three boss buck feeders and did not have any deer using them for 4 months. Sold them and replaced with Spincast (Texas) spinners on a 55 gal drum on a 14foot tripod. Deer used them IMMEDIATELY as did the snooters and turkeys. I WANTED to have the gravity feeders work... really would have been easier and less expensive, but the critters did not like them here... lots of other people have good results with them though.... and yes, I had them at the correct level/height.

Well that's gotta be a PITA to fill with feed.

There are newer designs out there that are much easier to fill, have larger capacities, protect against vermin, and are hard for hogs to topple.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We use these, 1000# protein feeders, they work very well. This ones in my back yard,just on the other side of the fence, gets a lot of action. picture taken from my back door. Rio7
Blue what feed are you putting through those?

I have to use the High Protein Golden Nuggets through the feeders I use.

Like you, I feed year round.
Originally Posted by RIO7

We use these, 1000# protein feeders, they work very well. This ones in my back yard,just on the other side of the fence, gets a lot of action. picture taken from my back door. Rio7

Nice backyard pets!
Rice bran a big thing in TX?

Around here bucks like it.

Plus corns are less likely to eat it.

Several years back, did have a pic of a coyote standing in a trough feeder eating Rice bran.
yeah, Rockin they are a little tough to fill... I have them on a winch cable with 1/4" cable... just let them down to fill and crank them up... does not take too long and they will SLING it in a 40' circle.
I hated all the winching up and down on a place we helped with years ago. Wear a person out doing 20-30 of them. Just must not use cranking muscles for much normally. LOL.

I wouldn't mind the ones where the lid is welded in place and just the open top barrel comes down. But started trying to use only larger capacity feeders too kind of makes that moot in a way.
Krivoman! many custom options, really well built. All we use on our OK lease.
https://krivomanoutdoors.com/
SnT
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] 600# creep feeder

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] 1000# creep feeder

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] 6000# feed buggy we use 4 of them, and 40,000# bulk tanks, we have 7 of them spaced about 10 miles apart.

We use Lacey and Echols, 16 % or 20 % protein pellets depending on the time of year, we have 94 creep feeders and about 50 broad cast feeders ( not shown)

we feed about 150,000# of protein a month. Rio7
P.S. these pic's are a couple of years old, we sand blasted and repaired and painted all of our feeders last summer.

this is what they look like now. Rio7
Yeah Y'all were working on them last April when Randy and I were down there. miles
Damn Rio. 150,000 pounds/month? Holy crap. I’d love to learn more about your operation as I’m always impressed by your posts
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Damn Rio. 150,000 pounds/month? Holy crap. I’d love to learn more about your operation as I’m always impressed by your posts

laugh

Ask him about his game cameras... grin

Hell, I have a chore keeping up with half a dozen or so... Batteries, SD cards, monitoring... wink

Barry, we use 30 game camera's, most of them are set up on water or feeder's, depends on the time of year and weather, we move them about every 10 days, the average # of pictures is usually around 50,000 per 10 day period, but a couple of times we have had as many as 100,000 pictures to go thru, of course we delete a hell of a lot of them, the pictures we keep are down loaded to a I-pad, and a lap top, and i.d. by location and time and date.

Contrary to what some guy's on this site think we don't raise pet deer, every year we kill deer we have never seen, live or on camera. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

Barry, we use 30 game camera's, most of them are set up on water or feeder's, depends on the time of year and weather, we move them about every 10 days, the average # of pictures is usually around 50,000 per 10 day period, but a couple of times we have had as many as 100,000 pictures to go thru, of course we delete a hell of a lot of them, the pictures we keep are down loaded to a I-pad, and a lap top, and i.d. by location and time and date.

Contrary to what some guy's on this site think we don't raise pet deer, every year we kill deer we have never seen, live or on camera. Rio7

Blue, I file mine under date and location too.

I've got records that go back about 10 years.

Usually, I only keep a few pics per download. Only those relevant.

Got to keep up with another ranch now. Interesting seeing what's there the first time. smile

Sure beats the old spotlight/helicopter surveys. I'm sure some still do that though.
Barry,
We still do a chopper survey every year, it is required by TPW to keep our class 3 MLB Permit, which gives us 30 days before the regular season to shoot deer ad 30 days after the regular season to shoot deer. and we need all the time we can get to keep our numbers under control. Rio7
I have three 2000# feeders similar to Rio's sand-blasted ones. I bought one of these: Lamco Feeder more recently.

I prefer the Lamco. I use a 2 ft X 2 ft X 2ft box (b/c I'm not very tall), but I can still load bags straight off the tailgate of my truck, walk them over, step onto the box, and dump them in without having to use a ladder. To load the others, I need an 8 ft step ladder (a lot more steps, a lot more time). YMMV.
© 24hourcampfire