Home
Posted By: JeffyD Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
Considering cutting back on what I tote along in the woods for a morning or afternoon hunt, and seeking an alternative to carrying a daypack. Any suggestions for a vest that can carry the essentials?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Considering cutting back on what I tote along in the woods for a morning or afternoon hunt, and seeking an alternative to carrying a daypack. Any suggestions for a vest that can carry the essentials?

Quite often I'll just carry a HPG Kit bag. Most of the time, even if I carry a pack, I'll have my "essential stuff" in the HPG kit bag and throw it in the backpack.

HPG kit bag is really nice when it's pouring rain because I can wear it under an oversized Helly Hanson jacket and keep most things dry....and not have a bag soaked that has to be dried, etc.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
maybe you just need a good small day pack ? or a fanny pack ? i just purchased a smaller Eddy Bauer day back ,has plenty pockets,i don`t even know i am carrying it. this day pack has a chest belt and a small hip belt too,pack has a great warranty too. good luck with your choice.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
I tried a fanny pack with extra pockets, but that just put more weight on my waist. One with suspenders might work. The last couple of trips I took to the deer woods, I just put the bare minimum for getting one out in my various pockets.

I use a rubberized German army shoulder bag of some sort for turkey hunting. That works pretty well too. Easy on and off.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
What is so important to carry around when you're stalking game? I carry my phone in a pocket, my knife on my belt, Extra Ammo in a pocket and that's about it. I leave the kitchen sink and all the other crap at home. I don't want to be burdened with a lot of crap. I go hunt and go home for lunch, then come back arould 3 PM for the afternoon hunt. If I shoot something I walk back to the truck and go get it.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
Here in Alaska things can go wrong like to have enough to call for help spend the night and come home.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Filaman
What is so important to carry around when you're stalking game? I carry my phone in a pocket, my knife on my belt, Extra Ammo in a pocket and that's about it. I leave the kitchen sink and all the other crap at home. I don't want to be burdened with a lot of crap. I go hunt and go home for lunch, then come back arould 3 PM for the afternoon hunt. If I shoot something I walk back to the truck and go get it.

Where I do most of my hunting a phone is useless for anything except pictures.......I'm sure not going all the way back out for lunch.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20

Outrageous! You, sir, are in flagrant violation of a campfire rule.

You need to immediately do a search on "what to carry in my day pack" and get with the program.

If the aforementioned pack weighs less than 15 lbs and/or has less than 200 feet of two sizes of rope, you need to do some serious soul searching.
^^ Hahaha.
Supply houses that cater to the logging industry sell vests with fair sized pockets on the back in addition to many pockets on the front and inside. The pocket on the back is smaller than a day pack but larger than a game pocket. Timber cruiser surveyors us them to tote the tools of their trade.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
Might take a look at wildland fighter style packs.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
You could also look at upland game style vests or coats with game pockets. Some cruiser-style wool coats have zippered game pockets on the lower back. A zippered pocket reduces chances of stuff falling out when you're not looking.

Used to be able to stuff lunch, extra gloves, a drag rope, and maybe a lightweight rain jacket in the back game pocket of my old Johnson Wool cruiser jacket. Compass in chest pocket, matches in waterproof container in pocket, knife and ammo on belt, folded up piece of heavy plastic sheet for a waterproof seat in hip pocket - everything needed for a day of deer hunting. But I was much younger and less concerned about comfort at the time. And your lunch could take a beating if you sat against a tree and squashed your sandwich.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/13/20
I have thought on and off about using an upland vest like Mike recommends. My only gripe is that I have yet to find one that was decently made out of a quiet material.

I have just settled on a lighter, smaller back pack that is large enough to stick my heaviest jacket into the main pocket. Besides that, I usually only carry a knife, gloves, beanie, some paracord, a flashlight or headlamp, and some hand warmers.

My biggest negative to sticking stuff in your pockets has always been that I eventually leave something in my pockets. That is why I like the small, light pack. Everything is in one self-contained location. No matter what I am wearing (generally), I just grab the pack and "go" knowing that what I need is all there.
Filaman, just out of curiosity where do you live/hunt. Geography makes a big difference in what you carry around whilst hunting. In PA where I hail from your would be hard pressed to be more than 5 miles from a road/house. All I ever carried was a knife and a piece of rope to drag beyond my rifle. Here in Colorado much different.
Look at Turkey Vests.
Posted By: CWT Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/14/20
I just use a fairly large fanny pack that has non-padded shoulder straps. Works great for most any southern hunting whether stand hunting or still hunting.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/14/20

I have done this in the farther past. Back then we used to cross the legs of a deer diagonally after gutting it so the legs made a sort of set of straps, climb inside, and walk out of he woods. Good way to get blood, fleas, ticks, on you and your cloths but it does reduce what you have to carry. Also a decent way to get shot.

The two vests I've used both came from Cabela's. Both are discontinued. But any sort of vest with large, maybe 4x5 inch pockets rather than the little slash pockets will work. I'd carry a larger folding knife in a belt sheath, 5-10 cartridges in the top small pockets on the vest, some toilet paper, matches, and a very small light in the bigger pockets. Generally an extra handkerchief, too, to wipe off my scope lenses. Just drink out of the creek .. nobody took giardia very seriously back then and we had this old wives tail that water flowing over gravel didn't have giardia, so we didn't worry about it. I'd wear the vest over a long sleeved flannel shirt. If it was going to rain, I'd put my neoprene over the top of it.

There are times I miss that simplicity, but I've seen two friends deal with giardia .. I like water bladders and filters. That also lets me hunt places I wouldn't have in those older days. Now days we carry 'nocs a lot more for glassing rather than using the rifle scope. And I prefer skinning and boning out a critter and carrying it out in meat sacks to the risk of getting shot.

Y' sorta pays yer money and takes yer chances. Everything has tradeoffs.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/14/20
I've tried some commercial lumbar packs, like the Browning Billy 1500 and 1700, and mil-surp Molle vests with a variety of different pouches attached.

I like the Molle gear better than the commercial lumbar packs. I keep a commercial "tactical" vest in my truck from Airsoft that is made for paintball shooters that is cheap and functional, but maybe not rugged enough for hard wilderness use. The Airsoft vests sell for less than $40, so if you buy one and don't care for it, you're not out much.

When I hunt in New England, I like to carry a small wool daypack from Johnson Woolen. It is a little smaller than I prefer, but as an old mech infantryman, I live by the philosophy that it is better to have and not need than to need and not have, so I tend to carry more than the minimum. The small size of the Johnson wool pack prevents me from over-packing, not matter how much I might want to..
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/14/20
I use a Cabela's fanny pack for most of my local hunting. It's similar to this one - https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...ard-pioneer-rt-pack/2575718.uts?slotId=4

It's big enough for spare gloves, calls, food etc. And has a water bottle holder on the side.
Posted By: davet Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/14/20
4 years ago or so I bought an Osprey Viper 9, a mt bike pack that was the smallest pack they made that held their biggest water bladder, 3 liters. About 10" wide 16-17" long, pretty flat, and about 500 cubic inches of storage. Has a decent stuff compartment with straps for cinching down a rolled up jacket or bulky item.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/hydration/cycling/

Doesn't look like they still carry my exact model, but it would be between the Siskin 12 and Siskin 8. Mine still has more room than I need, but the pack is small enough to not get in the way. I use it for just about everything but overnight trips.
Posted By: okie john Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/15/20

I quit using vests and day packs for deer hunting several years ago.

I hunt on a steep, rocky, brushy island off the coast of Washington state. I camp on the beach, then climb about 300 feet to the area where I hunt. That climb is a smoker so you only want to do it once a day. Once I get to the top, I’m walking up and down hills almost all day long. When I used vests and day packs, my back would be soaking wet all day long no matter how I mixed and matched insulating layers and shells.

Now I use something like this: https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...f-walk-in-blind-bag/1980554.uts?slotId=9

It doesn’t cover my back so I don’t get sweaty, but it holds all of the stuff that I'd have in a day pack.

Okie John
Posted By: BigNate Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/19/20
I used to use a fanny pack all year, for everything, but where I was hunting was less rugged, and the chances of needing to overnight was near zero. I use a smaller day-pack now during fall and winter because it's nice to have a few extra things with you for an unexpected overnight. I do have a couple spots I hunt that are easier and I'm less likely to need extra stuff. For those a fanny pack still works well enough, but as someone else mentioned, once everything I know I need is in my day pack I've found I usually just grab it.
Posted By: shaman Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20
I hunt turkey and whitetail, and I have different kits for both.

About 20 years ago, I quit using a turkey vest, because it was weighing me down too much. I wear vests a lot, especially when I'm traveling. If I'm riding in a truck or going shopping or just a short hike, a vest does a good job of carrying my EDC and the rest of my kit, but for a hard day of turkey, I found that it was weighing me down. I went to a small messenger bag on one side for calls and ammo and then a musette bag on the other side for raingear and my coffee thermos.

For deer hunting, I carry my outer layer and then put it on when I'm in the stand. That way, I can hike without overheating. I found the best was a war-surplus nylon duffle.

Honestly, for most everything else, I prefer a small pack on my back over anything else.

If you're set on a vest, then I can recommend this:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hq-issue-men039s-concealment-vest?a=2121662

I've got 2.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by shaman

For deer hunting, I carry my outer layer and then put it on when I'm in the stand. That way, I can hike without overheating.

This is a requirement for most of my deer hunting. For my use, it's hard to beat a back pack I can strap multiple outer layers to while I'm hiking in. If it's raining or so warm that I'm only wearing 1 layer.....those time the HPG bag work well.
Posted By: turkish Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20
The problem that is getting more and more frustrating to me is that backpack straps make shouldering a rifle impossible. I’ve been looking at a sling pack, that goes over my non-shooting shoulder only. The issue I’m finding with them is that their waist belts may not be adjustable enough for my waist size.
Posted By: SKane Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20
The Patagonia Atom Sling pack is pretty nifty - and no waist belt.
Posted By: SKane Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20

"this is how I do it, ergo, that's how it is everywhere"
Posted By: jwall Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by SKane

"this is how I do it, ergo, that's how it is everywhere" < smirk MY edit >

uhhh Filaman that ain't my style. I don't go in > come out > go in > come out !

I NEED a daypack for MY hunting. On average the Pack + content weighs 12 lbs.; Less on warm days - no thermos.
I don't return to my truck UNTIL I kill or have to leave.

Day packs are handy.

Jerry
Posted By: rayporter Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/20/20

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=11013&itemnum=94598&redir=Y

So, lets set parameters, few hours (you said morning or afternoon), so no major temp changes, no need for food beyond maybe a snack. No need for overnight stuff (heck it's NJ, so you can't be far from a road/house :-) )

Why carry any pack? You need:
- knife
- license
- bow/gun
- safety harness
- maybe extra sweatshirt
- maybe bottle of water

Cargo pockets which are on most hunting pants, and you're done.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/21/20
I like to wear this surveyors vest for half day outings. https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=11002&itemnum=880038 This didn't show it but mine has a large game bag on the back, it is pretty much the same as a number of upland vests but with more pockets. The heavy canvas is great in thorn brush, it will turn a light rain, and is not too hot or restrictive. If you want it for cold weather go up one size so it is looser over heavy clothes.
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by SKane

"this is how I do it, ergo, that's how it is everywhere" < smirk MY edit >

uhhh Filaman that ain't my style. I don't go in > come out > go in > come out !

I NEED a daypack for MY hunting. On average the Pack + content weighs 12 lbs.; Less on warm days - no thermos.
I don't return to my truck UNTIL I kill or have to leave.

Day packs are handy.

Jerry

Like you said, it depends on WHERE you're hunting. I normally deer hunt on farmground, usually within sight, or just over the hill, from the house where I stay. I just carry a knife, rifle, some ammo, and maybe some gloves for gutting a deer, and a little rope, maybe.I can get all that in my pockets. If I plan to be gone most of the day, I might pack a water bottle. Filaman is probably doing the same thing I do, and is hunting farmground, and can either get to his vehicle with a short walk, or get back to the house. To be honest, I can usually get back to the house, get a tractor, and skip the drag rope and knife, and do that cleaning at the house/shed, with all the handy accessories.
Things would be different if I were hunting Colorado or Wyoming mountains, but I'm not.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/22/20
I’ve got a Primos vest that is great. Has lots of pockets and breathable. It’s blaze orange and I got it for hunting public land. I’d like to get one that isn’t hi-vis.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/22/20
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may have found my answer: www.frostriver.com High Falls daypack. Small and slim, no buckles to rattle against a rifle slung alongside, and it comes in blaze orange. I've bought some of their gear years ago, when they were called Duluth Pack Co., and their stuff is extremely well made.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/22/20
A radically different choice might be one of the packs used by Ultra distance runners. Light, flexible and meant to be worn during strenuous activities. Salomon and Ultimate Direction make popular versions.

mike r

I use a Hill People Gear chest bag.
Posted By: prm Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/23/20
I have the original version of this. Been very happy with it..

https://www.primos.com/primos-hunting/accessories-gear/vests/primos-bow-vest-gen-2/c-24/c-98/p-505
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/23/20
I use shoulder bags that I had sewn up out of left over camo reminents. They have two sections (pockets) that are about 8-10in wide and 12-14 in deep joined together at the top by a shoulder strap. The shoulder straps are long enough to let the pockets hang just below waist height. By flipping one pocket over the other through the strap opening where they join, both sections are either closed off or open for access at the top. I generally carry 3 of them when hunting. One of them has a shallow section on one side that keeps my binoculars right at finger tip access.

I didn't think about it when I made them but each one is a different camo pattern. That makes it handy to sort items before hand and know what is in each bag without having to look through them. And I can slip them off and on with very little movement or effort.

It works well for me, been carrying them for years.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/23/20
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may have found my answer: www.frostriver.com High Falls daypack. .

That is a nice little pack, it is tempting but I have too many already.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/23/20
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may have found my answer: www.frostriver.com High Falls daypack. Small and slim, no buckles to rattle against a rifle slung alongside, and it comes in blaze orange. I've bought some of their gear years ago, when they were called Duluth Pack Co., and their stuff is extremely well made.

Jeff, Duluth pack is a different company that’s extremely similar, and still alive under its own name.

https://www.duluthpack.com
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 02/23/20
Originally Posted by Tejano
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may have found my answer: www.frostriver.com High Falls daypack. .

That is a nice little pack, it is tempting but I have too many already.

That's exactly what The Mrs. is going to tell me when when this one arrives in the mail. LOL!
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I have thought on and off about using an upland vest like Mike recommends. My only gripe is that I have yet to find one that was decently made out of a quiet material.

I have just settled on a lighter, smaller back pack that is large enough to stick my heaviest jacket into the main pocket. Besides that, I usually only carry a knife, gloves, beanie, some paracord, a flashlight or headlamp, and some hand warmers.

My biggest negative to sticking stuff in your pockets has always been that I eventually leave something in my pockets. That is why I like the small, light pack. Everything is in one self-contained location. No matter what I am wearing (generally), I just grab the pack and "go" knowing that what I need is all there.

Remember (depending on where you live) to take your “one bag with everything “ out of the truck at the end of the day. I left a small fanny pack on the back seat of my truck a couple of years ago and while at work, at 0830 or so on a bright sunny Monday morning some scumbag popped my window with a glass breaker and grabbed the bag. I lost Leupy BX3 8x32’s, a Garmin Rino 120, a Nikon Acculon range finder, a stag Remington baby bullet knife and a TOPS knife as well as license, ammunition and probably a Clif bar....
My fault of course and I expect I’ll never see that stuff again but I’d sure like to know who did it. Local PD says the homeless around here will bust your window for 2 bucks in change in your center console. I guess I’m fortunate that it was a grab and go, I had 2 handguns in the truck at the time. Lesson learned.
Mike
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Alternative to a Daypack - 04/04/20
Lets see, the OP wanted an alternative to a day pack and after all the discussions what did he find to fulfill his needs, a day pack.
Just gotta have it.

Myself, I use a one or two day pack. I always have extra stuff. Ready for the unexpected.
I'll be ordering myself a new pack soon. I'm going with the Selway 60 by Mystery Ranch.

The pack I'm retiring is a SpikeCamp made by Kifaru It has served me well. It's about 18 years old.
I have an old Cabela's Pack Vest. They don't make them any more but here's one for sale on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-Blaze-Orange-Pak-Vest-XL/274321076715?hash=item3fdecf71eb:g:aj8AAOSweNVef9Us
When I hunt where I can go back to camp for lunch I use a shoulder bag, when I am staying out all day a day pack. An all day stay in the woods requires more food/snacks, water bottles, relief bottle, rain gear, warm clothes, socks, etc.. You get the idea just more stuff requires greater capacity, some hunts require the ability to carry your rifle, sleeping bag, shelter, cooking gear.
Pockets

Interesting.

Thinking about giving one a tryout for still hunting.

Kill Kit
Survival kit
Water (could do a platypus over the vest)
Lunch
Compass and maps
© 24hourcampfire