Home
Coming out this fall to chase mulies with my son, how has the winter been treating the deer herd?

MM
not bad, but winter aint over yet
I am in north Idaho. Winter has been about average. Long range forecast doesn't seem to mention anything beyond normal sneaking up on us.
Thanks for the info gents!
I think in the south(Boise area) it has been one of our warmer winters...
84 percent of collared fawns and 92 percent of collared calves survived through February

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/statew...e-radio-collared-mule-deer-fawns-and-elk
That’s some good news, thanks for the link!!
Good news indeed
I hate to say it, but that news blurb from the IDF&G is just another example of what they always do to try sugar-coating reports with the intent to sell tags.

The article doesn't even say what part of the state this "study" was done in. With a state this size, wintering conditions can vary greatly 50 miles or less apart. And like always, good winter range is key. With prime winter range outside of wolf areas, big game survival is often very good even in bad winters. We've been getting snow everyday the past several days and winter ain't over yet.
Was not a bad winter. Fairly mild really. But it is not giving up easily. Last few days we have had rain, snow, sleet, sunshine and thunder, all in the same day. Snow in the mountains is going away pretty slow.
Pretty mild fortunately, lets hope it stays that way.
Seemed pretty mild to me. I don't see it doing anything differently.
© 24hourcampfire