Home
I know this is still a relatively new bullet on the market. I've seen a few comments on here about their accuracy that sound promising. Just wondering if anyone has taken any game with them yet and can give a review? Mainly interested in whitetail sized game.
Subscribed
Will they stabilize in a 1/14 22-250?
Would 1:10 stabilize these? I have 60gr partitions but want something little heavier
Originally Posted by viking

I'm going to say it would be highly unlikely.
Generally 1/9 will stabilize up to 68 or 69 grain, at least at .223 16" barrel velocity.

Given that the .22 cal centerfire bullet markets biggest users are in AR platforms, my wild ass guess is that that these bullets were built to stabilize in a 1/9 twist 16" AR chambered in .223/556.

It's also possible that since 1/7 and 1/8 have become the standard AR platform barrel twists (in 22 caliber), these bullets were just built for those.
I’ve no concerns about my 1:8 22-250 stabilizing them. I’m very curious what they will do you a yote, deer or piggy though.
Speer made a 70 grainer, guys used that in 22-250’s, but I guess the Nosler is longer.
Originally Posted by Dre
Would 1:10 stabilize these? I have 60gr partitions but want something little heavier

Be hard to beat the performance of a 60 grain Partition.

While the Partition won't have the B.C. of the Accubond it is one hell of a whitetail bullet.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Dre

While the Partition won't have the B.C. of the Accubond it is one hell of a whitetail bullet.

I know, it’s my sons deer rifle. Thanks for the reply
But I’m hoping to push the twist and see what she can do.
Speer 70 grain was a round nose not a spitzer. Spitzer takes a faster twist to stabilize compared to a round nose.
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Dre

I know, it’s my sons deer rifle. Thanks for the reply
But I’m hoping to push the twist and see what she can do.

Myself and my bud used those 60 grain Partitions in a 22-250 for a couple of seasons with exceptional results. I killed a buck that went 225-250# at about 15 yards one morning right trough both shoulder blades, he made it 40-50 yards.

Killed about 15 deer total, most were DRT with a handful making 15-20 yard runs. Did have a liver shot doe make it about 100 yards pouring blood the whole way.

If I were to shoot another 22 caliber on deer this is the bullet I would use unless I just couldn't make it shoot or if I wanted the better B.C. of the Accubond.
Originally Posted by viking

A 1/14 won't even stabilize a 60 Partition so I highly doubt it unless you are shooting in the tops of the Himalayas.

Gonna try them in my 1/9 twist .223 (Mod 600 with a 700 barrel).
A friend of mine has a 1-8 Tikka 22-250. He killed a very nice whitetail buck in the fall with a 70 grain Accubond from it, and has used that combo on several hogs too. He's an experienced hunter. He says they dig deep and he likes them a lot.

I have the same rifle and shot a few rounds of his Accubond handloads (over Reloader 15) with it. The few I shot showed potential for accuracy though I'd want to play with the seating depth some.
I've been using 75gr & 77gr out of both a 1:7 & 1:8 AR's, I'm sure at full velocity you could stabilize a 70gr with even less twist. I have an older tang safety M77 in .22-250 that shoots the 64gr Nosler BSB really well. I'm not sure what twist rate it is (slower anyway) but, I'd say work up a load near may and see if they shoot. If they make round holes close try them again at whatever distance you'd be willing to use them at.
I am thinking about a 22 screedmore and ran this on Berger's twist calculator. A 1-9 is marginal with some loss of BC. A 1-8 is good to go. These results would be better if I knew the length to the end of the jacket before the tip as the tip doesn't really count in overall length.

A 1-10 or slower look for something else like the 60 partition.
Originally Posted by Tejano
I am thinking about a 22 screedmore and ran this on Berger's twist calculator. A 1-9 is marginal with some loss of BC. A 1-8 is good to go. These results would be better if I knew the length to the end of the jacket before the tip as the tip doesn't really count in overall length.

A 1-10 or slower look for something else like the 60 partition.

Why wouldn't the tip count in the overall length as it relates to stabilization?
70 grain Speers are Semi Spitzers. For shots out to 200 or so they work excellent in a 1:14 .22-250. I really would condemn use of a .224 anything out past about 200-250. But most deer are taken inside of that. I've used 'em in my 1:14 .22-250 and a 1:12 .223. They worked great and very accurate.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Tejano

Why wouldn't the tip count in the overall length as it relates to stabilization?

According to JB the tip is so light that it doesn't factor into the overall length equation. I believe Bryan Litz has also proved this with calculations compared to doppler radar. I am not going to argue with those two. The difference is not huge but is there. I will measure and check the difference next time I get some tipped bullets out.
Originally Posted by BigNate
I've been using 75gr & 77gr out of both a 1:7 & 1:8 AR's, I'm sure at full velocity you could stabilize a 70gr with even less twist. I have an older tang safety M77 in .22-250 that shoots the 64gr Nosler BSB really well. I'm not sure what twist rate it is (slower anyway) but, I'd say work up a load near may and see if they shoot. If they make round holes close try them again at whatever distance you'd be willing to use them at.

I just saw where Nosler discontinued the 64gr bonded. Damn shame, they were a fine medium game bullet out of my 223. Killed a plethora of deer and pigs with it over the years.
Bergers calculator is more conservative by design.

The JBM Stability calculator uses the updated formula that compensates for tipped bullets...
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
A friend of mine has a 1-8 Tikka 22-250. He killed a very nice whitetail buck in the fall with a 70 grain Accubond from it, and has used that combo on several hogs too. He's an experienced hunter. He says they dig deep and he likes them a lot.

I have the same rifle and shot a few rounds of his Accubond handloads (over Reloader 15) with it. The few I shot showed potential for accuracy though I'd want to play with the seating depth some.

I'm that friend, though he may not claim me.

In addition to the buck it took a couple of does, and like Ted said several hogs of various sizes. I like them, have yet to recover one, and they don't seem to have the "Accubomb" trait that I've seen in another caliber. Have purposely shot a few hogs with it in the shoulder and still had complete penetration. Accuracy is very good in my rifle over RL-15, running about 3300 fps.

Bill
© 24hourcampfire