Home
What do you need to do to get ready for the upcoming deer season? I’m building stands and feeders. I finished the platforms for stands. I’m ready to butcher some wood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
As long as there is darkness.... there is no season! wink At least that’s what I heard, where and when I grew-up! grin memtb
Applied fertilizer to alfalfa fields last fall, killed several coyotes after the first of the year and this spring planted acres and acres of corn and beans.
Did controlled burns this Spring along with food plots. Bought trail cams (cheapos in quantity) and cut some cedars.
Zeroed two rifles and one revolver. Worked brass and now I'm loading it for those three guns. Packed all of the stuff that will be in my day pack and started hiking on hills in the evenings after work.

Okie John
Just finished mowing dry spots on my farm

Meeting friend who helps me with food plots to make a plan to re-do some old Durana clover plots and put some of it in Chufa for the turkey and ducks

Load development pending for 2 rifles

Mineral spots were refreshed back in the winter - couple of them probably should be refreshed again

Big project this year is to enclose my stands to hopefully avoid the annual hassle with burlap, etc. Thinking I’m going to try underlayment

Will fill feeders and reposition cameras in next couple of weeks as well

Always, always something to do. 8 months of maintenance for 4 months of hunting every year.
Keeping salt blocks in place. Rotating some scopes, checking zero.
Deer season never ends for me... its only limited when i can shoot them. Im always doing something hunting related.
It never ends, building feeders now.
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Deer season never ends for me... its only limited when i can shoot them. Im always doing something hunting related.

Same here. The day after I’m tagged out I start gettin ready for next year.
Trying to get in shape!
Trying to get a head start on my projects to clear my plate for the fall, wasting time working up new handloads for a 7x57, and zeroing a couple newer optics on rifles. Never ends.
Looks like the rain will hold off till the weekend. Going to be doing some food plot work this week. Next week will be for the birds,putting in a sunflower plot for dove season
Long list this year as last year my stand was damaged by a storm and with out power cutting plywood in 100 degree fall Texas weather was rather challenging. I have one stand that’s totally mine on a 400 acre lease and my area is around 40 acres and a creek.

Here’s this years list.

1. Build longer stand legs and raise stand

2. Re foam inside of stand paint and caulk, add new hardware, carpet,plexiglass, rifle rest,

3.cut new shooting lanes

4. Start food plot

5.possibly add another feeder and camera
Down 20 pounds since February. Working on wife’s 6.5x55 project, my 7.65x53 project (about 4 years of dormancy on those-coincides with kids), still applying for hunts but have a pretty good idea of what I’ll have this year.
Working on deer feeders now

Im walking and riding my bike.
I'm going to smack some axis does next week.......gonna hopefully fill up the freezer. No better wild game on the planet IMO.
Always......😊
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Always......😊

Yup.

Garden for veggies. Fruit trees and bushes for dessert. Rifles and (of late) crossbow for meat, with a few fishies thrown in for variety.
Originally Posted by hanco
What do you need to do to get ready for the upcoming deer season? I’m building stands and feeders. I finished the platforms for stands. I’m ready to butcher some wood.

This doesn't fit my mental image of Texas. Could be VA, or my backyard.

Nice work, btw.
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by hanco

This doesn't fit my mental image of Texas. Could be VA, or my backyard.

Nice work, btw.

Thank you. It is my backyard. I live at the western edge of the piney woods. The piney woods play out about ten miles west of me to blackland prairie. The blackland continues for a couple of hundred miles west to the hill country. This is the hill country

It never stops. I hunt 9 different tracts of land in Georgia. I’m literally at one tract or another every week doing something to get ready for deer season from April-October. It’s a labor or love.
Relocated some tripods after the timber cutters finished harvesting trees.
Purchased two additional 16 foot tripods and built the platforms and finished a pvc and windscreen BIL d to put on them.
Building a tower for a recent cutover that’s ready to hunt.
Planning to disk some new food plot areas next week.
Sent soil samples in to WTI.
The list continues...
I’m still building feeders. Just found out son in law wants one. Great!
We just had our property select logged. Now were just trying to do some habitat work. We are changing the man made crap the previous owner made. Got in some food plots, planted 100 Norwegian spruce and now I have to remove some tree stands to relocate them.

I got alot of work to do and summer flies by fast.
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
We just had our property select logged. Now were just trying to do some habitat work. We are changing the man made crap the previous owner made. Got in some food plots, planted 100 Norwegian spruce and now I have to remove some tree stands to relocate them.

I got alot of work to do and summer flies by fast.

Yes it is, gotta finish building stands, get it up to Newton county, get it set up.
As the man said, it never stops!

ya!

GWB
© 24hourcampfire