Home
Posted By: 1minute Mule Deer Antlers Shaping Up - 05/17/20
Looked out at the back 40 a few minutes ago and noted these two guys. Hauled Cookie out of her shower, and she went after them in her underwear. No pics of that.

They're just starting to slick off around here, so still look a bit rough. I suppose if I'd been out 24/7 with only a single coat for the last 6 months I'd be a bit rough too. First of the pair, and I have no guess as to how he'll shape up in the coming months. Might be able to recognize that squared off left ear tip and single brow tine as time passes.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Given anther 3 months for development this one should be a good 4 by at summer's end. Already as wide as his ears. Can't tell for sure, but think this was one of our neighborhood dudes last year. He's a little beefier than the first one. Chowing down on the flowering bitterbrush which is year round favorite grub. Green rabbit brush off to the right, and they don't touch that until it starts to flower in August.

Will try to keep an eye on them as the days progress.

Have a good one,
still liytl guys, but great to see. I saw one that had 6" out each side hoizontal with some mass. he'll be a good un if he survives. I love this time of year!
Here's a second image that Cookie got this morning and there is a small notch atop the left ear tip.

Here's one from 6 June 2019, and given the Groucho eyebrows and the same notch, it's for sure is the same animal we had around last summer. Development looks to be about 3 weeks ahead of last year's.

And 19 July last summer.

Posted By: CRS Re: Mule Deer Antlers Shaping Up - 05/18/20
Thanks for sharing.
We saw a very similar mule deer this past weekend while floating the Cheyenne river in SD. He was also to his ears and starting to split. He had two other smaller bucks with him. They tried to cross the river, but did like the kayaks coming at them.
Thanks for posting. Good to see.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Mule Deer Antlers Shaping Up - 05/18/20
I sure enjoy the pictures you post. The images are so sharp and clear a person feels like they’re right there.
July 5, 2020 - Caught him again
Still has all of July and half of August to grow a little more.
Great stuff. Thanks for posting. What kind of lens are you zooming in with?
He looks like he is developing very nice.
What kind of lens are you zooming in with?

Cookie has a Canon 500 mm and I think the range was about 40 yds.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Mule Deer Antlers Shaping Up - 07/07/20
Just moved from S.W, Colorado to western Montana. Mostly whitetail here. Haven't seen a muley yet. Suppose to be a few around. Takes a special drawing I understand to get a muley tag in this area. . Would sure like to see one, even a small one. Thanks for the pic's.
Posted By: SKane Re: Mule Deer Antlers Shaping Up - 07/07/20
Great captures, per always!
Tie one of those up for me?
© 24hourcampfire