Home
Posted By: Reba Proper Protocol? - 05/10/22
If a person is a retired Army Colonel, is it proper to refer to himself a Colonel Bxxxxx?

Have a guy running for political office with all his signs asking to vote for Colonel Bxxxx.

Thanks
Posted By: Reba Re: Proper Protocol? - 05/11/22
Ok, The retired Colonel is USMC.

It is proper for him to address himself as Colonel as long as he is doing anything that would be disgraceful or dishonorable.

But should note in his title "retired"
Posted By: Jason_Zukowski Re: Proper Protocol? - 12/25/22
Usmc
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Proper Protocol? - 12/25/22
It's rare, and I work with a bunch of retired Army guys (I are one). I pheasant hunt with a guy that refers to himself as "The Colonel" and most guys call him that as a term of affection. We've also got a few of "Rangers" and Sargeant Major's (Ret) running around post.

Most of the guys using rank and (ret) afterwards are GOs unless it's in a form of official correspondence. The organization I support employees a bunch of "Senior Mentors" that are normally retired GOs and always they're caveated with the (Ret) either post name, or post rank. Some guys are funny, I've worked with 3Stars that retired and turned into "Bob" while others are still clinging to "Sir" or "General".

Honestly I don't see an issue with it, the guys earned it.
Posted By: OGB Re: Proper Protocol? - 01/03/23
Protocol? If an individual is retired military and continues to use his rank as a title that pretty much tells me all I need to know.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Proper Protocol? - 09/30/23
It is common if dealing in defense or military subject matter, to list in the salutation of a letter or memo your military affiliations such as:

Very respectfully,
Joe Bloe
COL(R) USMC

On the other hand, in everyday regular, communication (not related to the military) - verbal or otherwise - others may refer to you by your previous, active service rank as a sign of respect; however, IMO it's a bit self-serving to refer to yourself in that way.
© 24hourcampfire