Home
Posted By: markopolo50 Son found dads M1 Garand - 05/31/15
This article ran in the local paper back in 2008 but I think about the son finding his dad's Garand. My dad was in WWII and being the oldest son, I always wanted to hear some war stories. He was shot up bad and he rarely talked about his time in the service. Bad memories I am sure.

Anyway Dad was already gone when this article ran and I still think about it.

http://www.mlive.com/living/flint/index.ssf/2008/09/jim_richardsons_search_for_the.html
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 08/16/21
I searched high and low, to no avail of course, for the Springfield Armory Garand my dad carried in the Battle of The Bulge. He knew the S/N by heart until Alzheimer’s begin winning the battle. At a gun show I found one made in the same month as his…a few thousand digits away. This would be as close as I’d realistically ever get and I snagged it. All correct, safe queen!

Sent it to a friend at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit @ Ft Benning just up the road and they tinkered with it, keeping all the original parts intact. She groups under an inch and a half @ 100 with the issued iron sights and match loads. Love shooting this old gal. She’s taken a number of deer for me each Veteran’s Day when I carry it to the woods to honor my old man.

Proud that that guy found his dads! Wonderful news.
WOW!
Posted By: hanco Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 08/21/21
Great story, they are fun to shoot.
Posted By: g5m Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 08/29/21
It is a great story. Good to see it again.
Posted By: ChiefO Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 03/22/22
Outstanding read. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 04/02/22
That is pretty cool.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 04/12/22
Good read. Thanks for posting.

Godogs57,

Originally Posted by Godogs57
I searched high and low, to no avail of course, for the Springfield Armory Garand my dad carried in the Battle of The Bulge. He knew the S/N by heart until Alzheimer’s begin winning the battle. At a gun show I found one made in the same month as his…a few thousand digits away. This would be as close as I’d realistically ever get and I snagged it. All correct, safe queen!

Sent it to a friend at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit @ Ft Benning just up the road and they tinkered with it, keeping all the original parts intact. She groups under an inch and a half @ 100 with the issued iron sights and match loads. Love shooting this old gal. She’s taken a number of deer for me each Veteran’s Day when I carry it to the woods to honor my old man.

Also a good story. Glad to hear the guys at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit @ Ft Benning hooked you up. I was a member of the US Army Marksmanship Unit stationed a Ft. Benning from 1977-1980.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 04/14/22
Great story. It would be interesting to me to see who carried my M1.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Son found dads M1 Garand - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by roverboy
Great story. It would be interesting to me to see who carried my M1.

This ^^
I have 3 of them. Only one is a WWII rifle. It is also a Greek return. I wonder how many commies and Germans or Japs it killed ?

kwg
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Proud that that guy found his dads! Wonderful news.

Your story is a great one also, godogs. Thanks for sharing.
Great story - Thank you!
Dad would have been 101 years old today. He did make it to 83 though. I sure wish I could have heard some stories but maybe not. I am sure he went through hell in the Philippines where he got shot up. I was too young to be drafted and Dad wasn't encouraging us boys to go. Thanks to all who served!!
© 24hourcampfire