Home
Posted By: crsides Ruger bought Marlin - 09/29/20
Looks like Ruger will be the owner of Marlin, per the bidding process. Has to be approved by ...?
Posted By: iskra Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 09/30/20
Just this very day, apparently the US Bankruptcy Court having jurisdiction concerning the Remington Group owned Marlin firm, with final approval of the $30M purchase of Marlin. Transioning of of the personal property assets of Marlin to Ruger existing facilities apparently to begin quite soon. Ruger claiming Marlin rifles dovetailing well with existing Ruger business and prospectives.

Seems to me a 'general' hooray for Marlin. Hope that purchase includes opporunity for all Marlin employees to continue employment! Ruger enters the pictue without the profound debt structure of Remington and nothing such as Remington owners bent only to extract major profits, sucking the life blood from that historic firm. The Remington name will almost surely continue on a purchase out of bankruptcy. What it amounts to in the future remains entirely to be seen. Those of us who have appreciated Remington guns for our collecting lives, yet to have hope, but no great expectations. Who knows! The dark side, perhaps emerging as a Chinese firm marketing "new & improved" pogo sticks! A rude ending for Remington!

Best & here beyond factual news, just my speculative take!
John
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/01/20

Aw, man...now I'll "have to" add new pieces to my JM and Remlin collections!
Posted By: BIG_JOE Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/02/20
Probably the best thing for Marlin. Being a part of a well respected gun mfg beats being owned by an investment company looking to suck the life out. Next question is where it will be relocated? Arizona, North Carolina or New Hampshire?
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/03/20
No wonder Ruger stock has been under pressure!

I collect Marlins and Ruger hawks! Exciting!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/03/20

Posted By: Ghostman Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/05/20
Based on Rugers issues and lack of success with the model 96 lever actions I wouldn't hedge any bets that the Marlins will be any better if at all compared to the the Remlins.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/05/20

Am betting a '95 lever action will be better than any 96.

Let you know after I acquire one or two of them.
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 10/06/20
Interesting, indeed! I became a Ruger fan as a kid because that was all I really knew. Over the decades though, they have continued to deliver what I like in a hunting rifle. I've owned a bunch. Over the past few years I have made only one exception to carrying a Ruger into the hunting woods. You guessed it - it has been with a Marlin. Well technically it's with a Western Auto Supply Revelation - a store model 336. I've carried that for javelina a couple of times but no shots with it yet. Once my bonus points finally get used up on a bull elk tag, I hope to start chasing cow elk after that with the old 30/30.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 11/20/20
Ive always been a bigger Marlin fan than Ruger, but Ruger makes a good solid and usually heavy overbuilt gun. Their limited runs are cool as well

I’m interested to see how that translates over to Marlin. I’be owned 32 specials and 35 Remington’s... maybe they’ll do a 375 Winchester big bore at some point in the future smile
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 11/22/20
I am curious how things play out. The supply of Marlin lever actions seems to have dried up. I'm not sure if that is coincidence, panic buying, etc or if the production lines have shut down. I'm not sure when we will see Marlin lever actions produced under Ruger ownership .. will there be a break in production, or will it continue more or less unchanged?

I would like to truly know what is going on. I have aftermarket accessories for a nice Marlin 1895 "build" and not platform to stick 'em in, plus brass, bullets, and powder. If I thought it was going to be a 3-4 year gap I'd put them up for sale, if I thought I would see Marlins for sale soon, I'd prefer to hang onto them and move forward.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 11/22/20

Likely by SHOT SHOW press releases in January 2021
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 12/06/20
Did the Remlins ever get worth buying? I want a 94 in 45 Colt and one in 41 Magnum. Both threaded. Will have to wait more yet I guess. I had one gentleman here trying to sell me his 94 45 colt but he wanted me to pay full price on all the custom work. I guess he thought I was born yesterday. I politely backed out. I still want both of those calibers and maybe a 336 in 35 Remington. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: barm Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 12/07/20
This article states rifles to be available by late 2021.

https://journalnow.com/business/loc...03a3636-38bb-11eb-8454-f70a93512dd5.html
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 12/08/20

..."latter half of 2021."

May be for the '21 hunting season market.
Posted By: Blackbat242 Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 12/15/20
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I am curious how things play out. The supply of Marlin lever actions seems to have dried up. I'm not sure if that is coincidence, panic buying, etc or if the production lines have shut down. I'm not sure when we will see Marlin lever actions produced under Ruger ownership .. will there be a break in production, or will it continue more or less unchanged?

I would like to truly know what is going on. I have aftermarket accessories for a nice Marlin 1895 "build" and not platform to stick 'em in, plus brass, bullets, and powder. If I thought it was going to be a 3-4 year gap I'd put them up for sale, if I thought I would see Marlins for sale soon, I'd prefer to hang onto them and move forward.

Ruger bought the Marlin name, designs, and production equipment - but NOT the building they were housed in... so yes, the production line had to shut down and be moved elsewhere.

Ruger's NC facility had the most "spare capacity", and it looks like that is where the Marlin line is being set up, as Ruger has announced new job opportunities there.

Originally Posted by "Angus1985"

Ruger purchased Marlin outright "with cash on hand" according to Ruger's bigwigs, so I'm not sure what you mean by "Ruger stock under pressure"?
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 12/15/20
my hope is Ruger builds some Marlin 39 A`s again best 22 L.R. ever made.
The sad thing is that it will most likely be the end of the model 60.
I've always liked the model 60 more than the 10/22.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 12/27/20
I am really looking forward to see what they can do for marlin, I hope for a much better match than than what they had.
Glad they saved the company would have been a shame to bury Marlin rifles. Good on Ruger, I will be waiting to get one.
Posted By: JAT Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 02/11/21

I also look forward to what Ruger does with Marlin rifles. I'm optimistic that Ruger has done their homework and "Ruglins" will share a reputation with JM rifles and not the slapped-together Remlins.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 02/12/21

Betting that they'll be 20% or more than the Remington Marlin list prices.
Posted By: model70man Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 02/12/21
I'm interested if there will be any parts interchangeability since Ruger uses investment casting. I would someday like for Ruger to work out a deal with Savage to reproduce the Model 99 without the tang cracking issue that should have been corrected a century ago. Who shoots a 99 without looking at the stock behind the tang after every shot?

I hope Ruger builds some Marlins that a lot of people want like the Cowboy versions, 1/2 magazine versions, etc. available in a little flashier models. Bring back the SCs and the 24" barrel 1/2 magazine models.

Just my opinion though, I wish Ruger well on this newest endeavor.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 02/13/21
So far they saved the Marlin name and rifles to make it to production for another period of time.
Good on Ruger. Marlin was to good of a rifle company to let it go Belly up or to another troubled company.
I will watch & listen and buy another Marlin er 2, that's the main thing. This marriage will work I think !
Posted By: LouisB Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 02/14/21
Wonder when/if they will leave ny and move production to AZ other free state?
Though I don't own one and do not want one I do hope they continue production of the 60.
Posted By: wy0ming Re: Ruger bought Marlin - 02/15/21
This is from the Marlin website:

To be clear, our purchase of Marlin from Remington was not for an operational firearms manufacturing company, but rather for the assets associated with the Marlin brand. Specifically, the product designs, intellectual property, machinery and tooling required to make these great products.

Now that our purchase is complete, we have relocated the acquired Marlin assets to Ruger facilities. We also have begun the complex process of setting up production for new, Ruger-made, Marlin-branded firearms.

Sounds like they are not having anything to do with the old Marlin production facilities. I hate to see any manufacturing close down, even in a place like NY, but hopefully this works out better in the long run for us consumers. I say in the long run, because I worry that the initial runs of Marlin guns from Ruger could be pretty rough...
© 24hourcampfire