Home
Posted By: pacecars Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/03/21
I am considering buying a Marlin 1893 in .38-55 with a half magazine. It is shooter grade and I would want to have the receiver and lever color cased and the rest reblued. Opinions?

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/03/21
I will also try a refinish on the stock or get a new one. Some checkering might look nice too
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/03/21
Each to his own, but to my taste, I have left my old Marlins alone, let their wear and tear tell the story of their life. If you like glitter and shine...buy one of those Henrys...they look like a whore when the fleet is due in.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/03/21
One of these days I will send something like this to Turnbull for a complete restoration. It will be expensive and a lengthy wait
Posted By: tmitch Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/03/21
I like those half mag rifles, congrats! I'm in the school of mostly leaving them alone if they're solid and functional. Part of that is because it costs more to have them done right than they will be worth afterwards. But it's your rifle and your money so do as pleases you. I'm sure restored correctly it would be a looker!
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/05/21
I would leave it as is... you will destroy the value. I find the wear is an expression of the gun's experienes.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/05/21
Good lord what a classic. Cant even imagine why anyone would want to ruin such a treasure. The world if full of shiny guns with no class and no history. You can go to Walmart and find such shiny guns. Once you do anything to this classic it can NEVER be undone, For the price you would pay to ruin this gun you could leave it in the closet and buy a new one.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/06/21
I have been jonesing for an 1893 lately.

Not a lot of them on the market at any one time...but I will keep watching!

Tempted by a 25-36 or 38-55.

Or maybe a 30-30.

I think a man should do what he wants with his own rifle and his own money...so more power to you on the refurbish.

smile
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/07/21
I agree Tarbe,

it is his and it should make him smile every time he holds it. A restored old classic car is the same to me. Not original but mighty fine to play with.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/08/21
I am of a different mindset. Just because I own it does not necessarily mean I can do with it as I wish. There has been at least 11 owners of the Mona Lisa. Can you imagine some temporary owner spray painting a mustache on the old girl or use her as an oil rag. And what if one of the owners of the Cysteine Chapel had painted over the ceiling and put orange shag carpet on the wall? At best we are just temporary owners of anything.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/10/21
Another vote for just leaving it as is.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/10/21
I actually passed on it. It is a little too rough. I am still looking for an 1893 to buy and have located a carbine in .38-55 that is in pretty decent shape and would do nicely as is
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/10/21
If the carbine is reasonably priced it would be my choice. Then I would look for a rifle.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Marlin 1893 .38-55 - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I am of a different mindset. Just because I own it does not necessarily mean I can do with it as I wish. There has been at least 11 owners of the Mona Lisa. Can you imagine some temporary owner spray painting a mustache on the old girl or use her as an oil rag. And what if one of the owners of the Cysteine Chapel had painted over the ceiling and put orange shag carpet on the wall? At best we are just temporary owners of anything.

All of those have been “restored”…..not a good example but you do point out what would happen if done by a putz. If the restoration is done correctly then you just added another 100 years to its function and beauty. Of course not all are done correctly and the value AND history are lost. I’d probably leave it but certainly have no objection to a proper restoration.

PennDog
© 24hourcampfire