Home
Posted By: joes64gto Marlin 1889 Project - 03/29/23
Have a project 1889. Needs magazine and wood to be complete. Has engraving(Stamped) on receiver of a tree or Ivy limb with single leaves on tip of three branches. Cant find an example of this anywhere. It is a 32-20. Considering doing it but have a half dozen other projects in the works so may sell it. Anyone familiar with this design??
Thanks,Joe
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 03/30/23
Joe, put some pictures over on Marlinowners. There are a few X Marlin employees that are like encyclopedias.
Posted By: joes64gto Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 03/31/23
Thanks, I`ll try that.
Posted By: TenX Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 04/01/23
I looked thru Brophy's Marlin book at all the engraving patterns offered. I see none that fit your description. Possibly someone added it at a later date???
Phil
Posted By: joes64gto Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 04/02/23
Thanks Phil. After looking at it again I agree that it looks like someone practiced their skills. With it being 133 years old and maybe several owners good chance one was a budding engraver. A corner on the opposite side of the receiver has a small section engraved as well as the area around the tang screws. I`m leaning towards restoring it and have found the magazine. Looking for the wood and crescent buttplate now. The search is always the fun with one of these.
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 01/21/24
I'm the fellow who picked up Joe's 1889 back last year. I've been working on the rifle off and on. So far I've restocked the rifle and replaced the missing parts. Next I hope to reline the bore. The bore was pretty much toast. While this is being done, I will probably have an engraver friend do some metal work and see if we can do something with the amateur engraving. There are several places on the barrel that could use some draw filing. I've fired the gun and it works pretty well. just accuracy is the pits since the bore is so rough. I'll post up more pics probably in the spring.

Attached picture marlin 32 20.jpg
Attached picture marlin 3220.jpg
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I'm the fellow who picked up Joe's 1889 back last year. I've been working on the rifle off and on. So far I've restocked the rifle and replaced the missing parts. Next I hope to reline the bore. The bore was pretty much toast. While this is being done, I will probably have an engraver friend do some metal work and see if we can do something with the amateur engraving. There are several places on the barrel that could use some draw filing. I've fired the gun and it works pretty well. just accuracy is the pits since the bore is so rough. I'll post up more pics probably in the spring.

You had me on the rifle and you had me on the wood but you lost me when you put the cheek piece on a lever action. Nice work though.
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 01/23/24
It was a stock that I had on hand. Loved the grain and been wanting to use it somewhere. So it ended up here.
Posted By: Joe Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 01/23/24
Nice old rifle but, I believe the front sight is on backwards.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 01/23/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Marlin 1889 Project - 01/24/24
No biggie. I just found a 32-20 barrel liner so it will be disassembled in a few weeks to be relined. I’ll have that sight corrected.
© 24hourcampfire