Home
Posted By: hp4570 Marlin Closing Shop - 03/26/10
The news here in Connecticut is reporting that Marlin is closing up shop in North Haven. Reason is that it is just too expensive to conduct business here. They have not said if they are moving operations somewhere else. Shut down starts this May, June 2011 is final closing. Workers claim they were completely blindsided. Oh well, hopefully they are going to just move to a cheaper manufacturing state. Almost all of Connecticuts industry has moved except the military contractors.
Posted By: MarlinBill Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 03/26/10
Actually news reports state that they will be MOVING out of state. NY, KY, or NC are the 3 that have been metioned for various reasons. It is sad, but change happens.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 03/31/10
I hate it for you guys up there but I hate unions more. I bet they are a union facility which is killing their manufacturing cost. As I said I am sorry for what it will do the the local economy and employment situation up there. We really do hate unions in the south.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 03/31/10
http://www.wfsb.com/news/22963445/detail.html
Marlin Firearms To Close Next Year
Company Opened In 1870

POSTED: 9:24 am EDT March 26,2010

NORTH HAVEN, Conn. -- Workers at the Marlin Firearms Co. in Connecticut say they've been told the 140-year-old company will close next year and all 265 employees will lose their jobs.

Workers at the North Haven company say they learned about the closure plans Thursday. They told local news media layoffs will begin in May and the company will close by June 2011.

Officials at Marlin and the company's owner, Madison, N.C.-based Remington Arms Co. Inc., didn't immediately return phone messages Friday morning. Remington Arms bought Marlin for nearly $42 million in 2007.

Marlin's Web site says John Marlin opened the company in 1870 in New Haven after having worked at the Colt plant in Hartford during the Civil War. The company says its lever action 22 repeater was a favorite gun of Annie Oakley.
Posted By: silver78 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/01/10
So if you are thinking of buying a Marlin - don't delay - buy now. Since they just announced the plant closing, the guns already in the dealer channels were built before the plant closing announcement. I am guessing that quality will suffer going forward. Let me put it this way. If my employer told me I was getting fired in the next 3-6 months, I think my loyalty and job focus would decline a lot which would mean lower quality work.
Posted By: r2d2 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/01/10
Can`t find one you want? Don`t forget about your local Gun Show. That is if you have any.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/01/10
they're going to the Remington plant in New York

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/?p=2567
Posted By: boomtube Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/02/10
I fail to understand how moving a factory from Conn to NY would make any kind of industrial production more profitable. ??
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/05/10
Originally Posted by boomtube
I fail to understand how moving a factory from Conn to NY would make any kind of industrial production more profitable. ??

I hate speculation and assumptions, but if I had to take a WAG, and having a little knowledge about Cerberus and how it functions in the corporate world, it would have something to do with saving big $$$$.
Posted By: MarlinBill Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/07/10
Big Tax Breaks...
Posted By: scrooster Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/10/10
It's a warning shot to any and all states who are not willing to do business fairly with the nine headed dog.

Wish we could have coaxed them down to SC or NC rather than NY.
Posted By: MarlinBill Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/10/10
If I am not mistaken, Marlins profits this year like the rest of the industry is large. I think it was a move to consolodate manufacturing. I do feel bad for the folks in New Haven. I have enjoyed the craftmanship of these people and appreciated it. I do not fault Marlin for making business desicions that attempt to keep them profitable for the long term. I hope the quality control issues get addressed with the 39's specifically and the general decline of their fits and finishes as of late. I do know lots of motivated people who live in NY and I think they can learn to make them just as well as the folks in Conn. ...it just might take a year, or a decade. I hope it the former rather than then the later.

JMHO please take with a shot a rum!
Posted By: Langfur Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/11/10
Originally Posted by silver78
So if you are thinking of buying a Marlin - don't delay - buy now. Since they just announced the plant closing, the guns already in the dealer channels were built before the plant closing announcement. I am guessing that quality will suffer going forward. Let me put it this way. If my employer told me I was getting fired in the next 3-6 months, I think my loyalty and job focus would decline a lot which would mean lower quality work.

that sounds somewhat unethical doesn't it?

surely if you are prepared to receive payment for your skills at the same rate until termination, your employer is entitled to receive the same standard of work from you? ... or does this imply that during the period that you are slackening off, that you will be prepared to receive a reducing amount of pay in accordance with your output ?
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/14/10
Do you guys think this situatuion warrants an increase in value of the New Haven built guns?
Posted By: MarlinBill Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/14/10
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Do you guys think this situatuion warrants an increase in value of the New Haven built guns?

I would think this increase is more warrented than the increase seen over the political bs. At least this is related to manufacturing and qc... I respond much better to founded fears.
Posted By: Fischer Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/14/10
Originally Posted by Langfur

surely if you are prepared to receive payment for your skills at the same rate until termination, your employer is entitled to receive the same standard of work from you? ... or does this imply that during the period that you are slackening off, that you will be prepared to receive a reducing amount of pay in accordance with your output ?

Maybe I just come from an older place in time, but I'm a craftsman. I build custom knives, from forging damascus to CNC machining and everything in between. I take pride in my work. But if I worked for Marlin (and I'd be very proud to) and knew that we were closing shop in a few months, I'd try to make those last rifles the absolute best that ever came out of New Haven. That'd be my legacy. I've got to believe that there are more than a few like minded craftsmen up there at Marlin.
Posted By: pmeisel Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/17/10

Remington factory in NY is already open and has extra capacity. You save on heat, light, many management salaries, building maintenance, property taxes, all sorts of things.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/17/10
Originally Posted by Langfur

While I agree that it does sound unethical it is reality these days!!!
Posted By: 1912earl Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 04/19/10
well as bad as the quality has got whats the loss i bought a new 39 and boy was it junk its gone and i bought a polder one off the net
Posted By: eaglesnester Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 07/02/10
Do not buy a Marlin unless you can hold it in your hands and inspect it for fit and finish. Also I would ask the shop owner if you can bring it back if the weapon fails to fire,and fails to extract and eject. Also you should check the accuracy. I purchased a Marlin 39A and had to rebuild it in order to get a rifle that would shoot and cycle. Do not order a Marlin by Catalog.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
Posted By: slg888 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 07/03/10
I have a friend that is a machinist for Marlin and is upset there moving to NY. He has applied at Ruger. Hope he gets hired on.
Posted By: Hawken Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 09/12/10
Does anyone know if Marlins being manufactured in N.Y. yet?
Posted By: R_P_K Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/11/11
I dont know about the New York plant but I just purchased a new 795. On the barrel it says it was manufactured in Mayfield,KY. This is where I live and the only firearms plant in the region is the remington plant about 5 miles from my house.
Posted By: NFG Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/13/11
I looked at a Remarlington 336 30-30 at BiMart...$355 out the door...not worth half that. Fit and finish were pi**poor, stock paint job was very bad and the action sounded and felt like it was full of sand when cycled.

I have a 1980's 336 I turned into a switch barrel...356 Win, 444M and 45-70 rechambered to 458 American...I LIKE MY EARLY MODEL MARLIN and plan on buying a 450 Marlin 1895M when I can find one that hasn't been jacked outasight on some autction site...but I WON'T buy any dated earlier than 1975 or later than ~2000 when the 450M started. I have a Browning BLR in 450 M I just purchased for the same price as the 1895M's are going for online and the Browning is 5 times the rifle the Marlin is.

Luck.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/22/11
I've owned several Marlins made in NY, and the fit and finish were as good as anything Marlin has produced since the 1970s.
Posted By: micky Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/23/11
As a long time marlin owner that is the first time I have ever read that. I think it has more to do with your fierce loyalty to Remington. Having owned two ny built marlins, neither are with me any more.

Micky
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/24/11
I've owned at least 3 dozen rifles made by Marlin dating back to 1948. Those made in the 1970s had the worst fit and finish. Folks are just pissed at Remington for saving Marlin and making it profitable again. They are currently as good as they ever were.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/24/11
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I've owned several Marlins made in NY, and the fit and finish were as good as anything Marlin has produced since the 1970s.

How could that be when the have only been made in NY for less than a year???

I am quite surprised you didn't say you had a truckload of the new NY Marlins!
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/24/11
Is there a limit on how many rifles you can buy in a year? I've bought 3 in the last 7 days.
Posted By: yogibear Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/24/11
Well Swamp-gas, I could not disagree more with you. I hope remington & marlin get it all worked out but the quality controll is in a sad state with both products.........

yogibear
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/25/11
It's never been better.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/25/11
It's never been better.

If it were Kimber that bought Marlin and the quality was the same as the Remington versions they would be schit in your eyes.
Is there a limit on how many rifles you can buy in a year? I've bought 3 in the last 7 days.

Only when you lie about it!!!
You're laughable at best. I hope that one day you will get a life.
You're laughable at best. I hope that one day you will get a life.

That may be the case.....but as long as I am nothing like you I am doing better than you will ever do. Liars like you never last long!
I won't miss your amature comments.
Posted By: clyde Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/26/11
Hey Swamp, what calibers did you get?
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/26/11
.45-70s
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/26/11
I won't miss your amature comments.

Funny..............didn't think a lying douche like you would know the difference!!!
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Marlin Closing Shop - 06/26/11
.45-70s

You didn't buy schit !!!
© 24hourcampfire