Home
Posted By: Longhunter_1 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/01/17
My Guide gun is mighty accurate

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/01/17

N I C E.......shootin'...........
Posted By: 1minute Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/02/17
So is mine, but I find it's a bit of overkill on rodents. Your squirrel season opens early up there.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/04/17
So is mine, but I find it's a bit of overkill on rodents. Your squirrel season opens early up there.

That's why I shoot em in the head so's not to waste any meat....If you're one of them that likes squirrel brains then you're outta luck. frown
Posted By: Bigbrndog Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/05/17
If you take a couple forty five ninety Cases and reduce the top half inch with a forty four resize die then drop ten grains of unique add a card or leather wad and tap it down with a pencil then fill with shot, add another leather or card wad, and then roll the top with round nose bullet seater and put a drop of elmers on top to aid in holding everything down. You wind up with a really nice squirrel, grouse or partridge load for those instances when you can use one.

By avoiding a traditional wad you lessen the chance of the rifling applying spin to the shot charge, I've broken clays at twenty five yards with mine.

Just FYI, if anyone is interested..............

Trapr
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/05/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by 1minute

I am glad our season opens in late May here in Missouri. It gives a guy a chance to kill some of those really young and dumb ones that are super tender.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
My Guide gun is mighty accurate

[Linked Image]

What scope do you have mounted on there?

I have a set of XS sights that I was planning on sticking with but am thinking of going to a low powered scope instead.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/07/17
What scope do you have mounted on there?

Trijicon, 1.5 to 4x with a red tipped post.. Very fast to get on target
Posted By: Mesa Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/07/17
There's also a Ken Waters (I think, might well be Paul Matthiesen) "utility bullet" for subloads. If anybody is interested, I'll see if I can dig up the article. If I remember correctly, it's a short full wadcutter; low recoil, high accuracy at close ranges.
Posted By: Zerk Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/07/17
Just shot mine yesterday. Funny how people say it will killyou. Good round can load mild to wild. Light load a kid could shoot
Was fun to increase 2 grains at a time to see effect. Wish I had scoped so could see elevation difference.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 08/10/17
my Grouse load is 292g cast over 16g of trailboss. bluuup! with no recoil. very accurate. great for head shots and even a shot behind the breast gets you great eating.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 10/10/17
I shot a squirrel with the Rem. 405 grain once. Dropped like a rock.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: 45-70 Squirrel gun - 10/11/17
When I was around 16 I shot a fox squirrel with my 50cal Charles Daly muzzleloader @ about 30yrds.
© 24hourcampfire