Home
Posted By: esmith 1894 .44 mag had success - 12/24/18
The first deer this rifle takes in this configuration occurs at 193 yards. Hit her twice, she barely flinches, 3rd shot takes her (a little high as a shooter is concerned) in the spine right above her front shoulders. The first two were vitals shots. Interesting how differently animals react sometimes when hit. Maybe it was disbelief that she was being accurately hit from that range, when deer in our area are used to shotgun only hunters all up until last year. (Iowa)

What fun. Less recoil, way more accurate, very similar damage as compared to the horrible shotguns we were limited to not long ago here in Iowa. I went with the scout scope route, and have been pretty happy with it I suppose. I'd be a lot happier if my eyes would focus on iron sights like they used to, but this has it's own advantages and disadvantages too. The scout scope allowed me to keep my Iron sights on, without having to raise the scope another 1/2'' to clear the rear sight. Lever actions are hard enough to get a cheek weld without having the scope mounted higher than wanted.

Marlin 94 Scout Scope

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: 1894 .44 mag had success - 01/10/19
Congrats. That is some shootin. What load are you using?
Posted By: Owl Re: 1894 .44 mag had success - 01/10/19
I've hunted IA. Taken my fair share of game in Jackson County. Did they change the laws ? Last time I was there it was shotguns and ML only.
Posted By: esmith Re: 1894 .44 mag had success - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by 300jimmy
Congrats. That is some shootin. What load are you using?

Thank you, probably pretty good for me anyway. We Iowans aren't used to very many "long shots"" with the firearms allowed. 200 is out there a bit for this gun. Used to be far less with Sabot slugs, and boy I don't miss rifled slugs a bit.

240gr Hornady XTP over W-296. A couple tenths of a grain under max charge. 1760 fps muzzle, out of that gun.
Originally Posted by Owl
I've hunted IA. Taken my fair share of game in Jackson County. Did they change the laws ? Last time I was there it was shotguns and ML only.

Yep, 2 years ago they amended the law to include straight wall pistol caliber rifles, with some certain limits. Much better than shotguns anyway.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 1894 .44 mag had success - 01/10/19
I sure like the way you set that up. A significant glass but still looks slick and quick.
Originally Posted by 5thShock
I sure like the way you set that up. A significant glass but still looks slick and quick.

Thanks, it is a little heavy, but we party hunt and this gun has to be able to take moving targets as well as reach the end of it's ethical range if/when we decide to still hunt at beginning or end of a day. So far I think I'm pretty happy with the chances I took setting it up. I can get a pretty happy cheek weld this way, I personally cannot deal with a high mounted scope on a lever gun and the subsequent "no cheek" cheek weld.
That's a cool setup. I have two of those same guns and they get a lot of use.
Posted By: esmith Re: 1894 .44 mag had success - 01/12/19
Originally Posted by kingstrider
That's a cool setup. I have two of those same guns and they get a lot of use.

Thanks. Best work I've ever done to it was to mildly, and properly polish/smooth the action. Taking away no metal to speak of, it is a completely smooth and beautiful gun to cycle now.

It is a JM Marlin, but it was sluggish and had major hang points throughout the lever throw.

I'm very happy with it overall as a hunting or fun gun.
© 24hourcampfire