Home
Posted By: Bocajnala 336 peep for whitetail - 07/27/20
What peep sight do I want? Hunting, whitetail, shots to 100 yards. Been using the factory irons successfully, but want to go to a peep.

Give me some options to look in to. Pros vs cons etc

-Jake
Posted By: Bugger Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/27/20
I only have only put on Lyman or Redfield steel Peep sights on my lever guns. I think I’ve bought some with cheaper peep sights though.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/27/20
I've used the Williams FP quite a bit on my Guide gun, no problems with the sight. Sometimes I don't do so well...

The Williams is not as aesthetic as some others, but it works good.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/28/20
XS rock
Posted By: Full3r Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/28/20
I just put a skinners on a pair of rifles. Am very happy with both. Very rugged and not crap hanging off side of rifle to ruin the way they carry
Posted By: roundoak Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/28/20
Showed up at deer camp with a new to me 1969 Marlin 336 with factory iron sights and one of the senior members questioned me, because I always hunted with a scoped gun. Filled a doe tag with it and a couple days later the member pulled me aside and said he had a Williams FP that would improve the sight picture as your eyes get older. Twenty bucks and it was mine and he was right.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/28/20
You might look at Williams WGRS-336 peep sight.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/28/20
Willams works well I prefer XS ghost ring and front post. I’ve also looked at skinner folks seem to love them.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/29/20
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take some time looking at each tomorrow.

Keep them coming!

-Jake
Posted By: ipopum Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/29/20
I recently bought a win 94 made in the 40s. Someone had messed with the rear site. Since it was taped for a peep that is the direction I went.

I could not find anything but a williams that is what I used. It works very well. Ihave a 95 Win with a williams on it that I have been using for many years.

Try it you will like it.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Willams works well I prefer XS ghost ring and front post. I’ve also looked at skinner folks seem to love them.

Those sights work good and do have a much better appearance.

I do have Skinner posts on both of the rifles I have FPs on.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
What peep sight do I want? Hunting, whitetail, shots to 100 yards. Been using the factory irons successfully, but want to go to a peep.

Give me some options to look in to. Pros vs cons etc

-Jake

Skinner sight all the way, I saw a brand new one for a Marlin 336 in my desk awhile ago, still in plastic and cardboard wrap, had forgot i had the thing, and don't even have a rifle to mount it on. crazy
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/30/20
If you go with a tang mounted peep sight, like the Lyman #2, you could leave a Weaver base on the top of the receiver and if you use QR rings, like Durasight or Warne, you could carry a scope with rings in a scotch bottle tube in your daypack and install it for low light conditions where optics would be superior to either a peep or open sight.
Posted By: humdinger Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/30/20
Williams has a screw in brass aperture for the rear sight that helps in low light and they have fiber optic front beads too.

Beware on the front sight.. I leaned my 336A in the corner of my deer stand and the front sight got caught in the wood joint... broke the light tube.

I have XS sights on my 870 tacticool shot gun that I use for turkeys... they may be a bit large for fine sighting at longer distances.
Posted By: model70man Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/31/20
I have my favorites in this order. Lyman (steel), Redfield, Skinner and Williams. All are good. I use a Merit adjustable aperture on whichever rifle I'm using.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 07/31/20
The Skinner's that mount on top of the receiver are looking nice.

-Jake
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 08/01/20
Skinners are the cat's meow. Other sights have worked for me. But if I replace my XS on my 95 Marlin I will go Skinner. I hadn't been aware of them when I set up my 45-70. I want a sourdough front post. The brass always made the sight visible in shootable light. Don't know why they are hard to find today. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 08/02/20
I killed a bunch of whitetails with a Marlin 336 35 Remington and a Williams 5D peep.
Posted By: Youper Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 10/02/20
I like and use the Williams FP sight with a .150" aperature.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 10/03/20
Both of my Winchester 94's have been wearing Williams receiver sights for years. They have worked very well with no problems.
Posted By: Mongrel Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 10/19/20
I use scopes on my levers except for the Winchesters. I use Wilson peeps and find they are superior to the buck horns for my style of shooting. I dont shoot at running animals except rabbits. I'm sure the layman's are just as good. I always shy away from newer alum stuff. Just doesnt seem as hardy to me.

Mongrel
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 11/13/20
You can't go wrong with Williams. They're better than a rear buckhorn if you have aging eyes. They're unobtrusive. Rugged. And just look right. Here's one on my 336 .35 Remington.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: dallased Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by 10Glock
You can't go wrong with Williams. They're better than a rear buckhorn if you have aging eyes. They're unobtrusive. Rugged. And just look right. Here's one on my 336 .35 Remington.

Me too, what he said. Just ordered another FP94/36 for another 70 year old 336A ADL that I am sprucing up.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by Full3r
I just put a skinners on a pair of rifles. Am very happy with both. Very rugged and not crap hanging off side of rifle to ruin the way they carry

Same here.Once in a while you'll see a set for sale in the Classifieds.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 01/23/21
Have you looked at the "winged" Skinner sights? They protect the ring itself and are really good for thick brush, the twigs just slip right over them.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 01/24/21
I like the Williams FP, comes with 2 different front sight blade heights, very easy to install also.
The back sits on the back 2 holes in front of the hammer, unscrew the regular peep out for dusk& dawn hunting.
Very sleek sight no snagging on brush & little branches getting caught between sight and receiver.
Want the scope back on, 30 seconds gets the sight off, scope mount back on.
Posted By: RDW Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 01/24/21
I have thought about trying the WRGS mentioned in the thread on my 336 35

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Posted By: UncleGrinch Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 01/26/21
Originally Posted by RDW

I installed one of these along with a fire sight front on my Marlin and it made a huge difference seeing my sight picture, especially in deep woods.
I have the Williams "Ace in the Hole" Sight/rail combo on both my 336s and on my 1894 as well as on my CVA muzzleloader. I have found that its a great combo for some added flexibility. It basically adds a low-pro pic rail on the top for a optics option while having the Williams peep built into the rear of the rail. They are great when you can find them. As you can tell, I am a fan.
Posted By: Youper Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by RDW

I had one of these on a Marlin 444, but replaced it with the FP, and then eventually a scope. I didn't like adjusting that sight, and much preferred the FP.
Posted By: TXRandy Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/03/21
Skinners work great with lots of options
Posted By: Spring1898 Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/03/21
I like the look and size of ghost rings, but for about the same price I can pop a TRS-25 red dot on 2 rifles.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/03/21
Went with the skinners. Glad I did. Good company, good service, and a good product.

Had to add the higher front sight. But it'll bust clays at 100 yards now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[url=https://ibb.co/8zNMgqF][Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

-Jake
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/03/21
Will try to bust a doe with it this fall. And will go to bear camp as my bad weather rainy day walking gun.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

-jake
Posted By: asheepdog Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by RemModel8
XS rock

I have been happy with XS sights on a couple of lever rifles I shoot as well as my 375 H&H bolt rifle. Somewhat of a large aperture but I’m comfortable with them.
Posted By: AK375DGR Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/19/21
OK,,,,,, this the way I roll..... XS-Ghost-Ring and Front Post...... grin Lj

Attached picture LJ's Marlin .375 Rifle Cir... 1980-3.jpg
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/19/21
I got a couple of redfield one piece bases with a peep attached!

Never could get them to work with the front sights tho.

Peeps add to accuracy no doubt.

They also keep you from shooting past or B4 legal hunting light!

I got Lasix a while back......I prefer the buckhorn with the white diamond now!

I am sure as my eyes get older it will be back to peeps.

Originally Posted by RDW

I just bought a 336 35Rem and bought this peep sight as well as a scope rail. I'm currently using a scope to test out accuracy (the easier way). I'm amazed by how accurate this rifle is and think I'll stick with a scope - it lines up well.
Posted By: buttstock Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/20/21
Consider the "long" Marbles Bullseye peep. Mounts in the barrel's dovetail slot (simple DIY). Not as precise as a receiver-mounted peep sight with click adjustments, but once you tap it left/right for windage, and file /stone the elevator slide steps for desired elevation, you are all set. Low cost: $20.

The big benefit is you can mount a scope on the receiver with a picatinny/Weaver style scope base (easy on/off if needed) and have a very functional peep back up sight.

If you don't like the bigger outer ring, just cut/file it off. Easy peasy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532/
Another vote for Skinners.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

10Glocks, what's the model of that Williams? Not sure why, but I've never seen one which mounts to the top of the receiver on a 336, only the type that go through the side. I like the look of that setup.
Posted By: jeeper Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 02/22/21

Originally Posted by Epochelyptikal

10Glocks, what's the model of that Williams? Not sure why, but I've never seen one which mounts to the top of the receiver on a 336, only the type that go through the side. I like the look of that setup.

I believe this is the model for the newer 336's without the holes in the side ? The old model that screws to the side sit about a 1/2 " more forward if that matters to you. I prefer the old model.
Originally Posted by jeeper

Originally Posted by Epochelyptikal

I believe this is the model for the newer 336's without the holes in the side ? The old model that screws to the side sit about a 1/2 " more forward if that matters to you. I prefer the old model.

That makes sense. Thanks for that. The one thing that concerned me some about the Williams sights was that they didn't have a "bridge" up and over the receiver, so all the impact stress of any hit to the sight would fall squarely on those small screws into the side of the receiver. This one looks a bit more rugged, although I suppose it might sit higher as a result. I have several skinner Lo-Pro sights on other marlins and rugers, and like them a lot... But I might give one of this style a try as an experiment.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/12/21
Originally Posted by model70man
I have my favorites in this order. Lyman (steel), Redfield, Skinner and Williams. All are good. I use a Merit adjustable aperture on whichever rifle I'm using.

Amen brother. If my old '55 pre-Texan Marlin in 35 Remington gets an aperture, it will be an all steel Lyman 66.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/13/21
I have one of the new (aluminium) Lyman 66s on my .348 since that was all I could get my hands on. I am not very happy with it, as it feels flimsy and wobbly which I cannot have on a hunting rifle. The skinner seems solid and since the Williams was actually designed around an aluminium construction it probably beats the newer Lymans. When the top of the receiver is d&t, a Skinner is probably the most trouble free, maybe a tang sight as they are (supposedly) faster since the aperture is closer to the eye.
Posted By: PHWILLIE Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/19/21
I have used the Williams FP on several rifles and always been happy with the quality and ease of adjustment
Posted By: saddlegun Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/29/21
You might also consider the Skinner barrel-mounted peep sight.
It's small, looks sort of period correct, is all-steel, and works with the factory front sight.
Posted By: tmitch Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/29/21
If I ever get another Marlin or Henry that needs a peep, I'm going to try one of the Ranger Point sights. Sits lower than the XS so it works with the factory front sight height.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Skinner or RPP and you want a peep that is closer to the eye than the barrel mounted ones.
Posted By: roundoak Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/29/21
The 1969 wears a Williams.

Posted By: saddlegun Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 03/30/21
Opinions may vary, but while an aperture sight close to the eye might be best, I can certainly see where a barrel-mounted peep would be more accurate and easier to use than the open sights used on most lever actions. It's kind of a middle of the road solution.

I have used open sights on my Marlins and other lever guns for many years, but it gets more difficult as I age. So I have plenty of experience with adjusting and using them.

Williams aluminum aperture sights have never impressed me. They were always just the cheap version of the all-steel Lyman that was available back in the 1970s and earlier.

The Skinner receiver sights are much stronger than the Williams, although windage adjustment is limited, and they often require a high front sight, since their base is higher than conventional receiver sights.

And while I confess that I don't have any experience with a barrel-mounted aperture sight, it does seem to solve some problems.

1) It mounts low and is usable with the existing front sight.
2) It allows for the same amount of windage adjustment as the open rear sight, unlike the Skinner receiver sight, which is limited.
3) There are no potential problems with the axial alignment of the receiver and the barrel, since both front and rear sight are barrel-mounted.
4) It is the most compact and attractive aperture sight available.
5) It is made of very strong all-steel or steel and brass metals unlike the Williams.
6) Reviews are very good for this sight.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 336 peep for whitetail - 05/11/21
Take a look at Skinner sights as well.
© 24hourcampfire