Home
Posted By: 100grNP Perfect scope for 336RC 35rem? - 06/14/21
I've had this rifle in the safe for a few years now. Need to put a scope on it and put it to work. I'm thinking something like a 2-7 or do you like a 1-4? Any ideas?
all my marlins wear 1.5-4.5x20 leupolds on talley extra lows these days with the exception of one that has a cheapo bushnell 4x. they seem to give me good eye relief and fit the gun really well.
Posted By: pal Re: Perfect scope for 336RC 35rem? - 06/14/21
1.5-5x20 Leupold for my 336 .30-30.
I have one 336 with a Denver Redfield 4X with a post/crosshair reticle and a second one with an El Paso Weaver V4.5 1.5X4.5 with duplex reticle and tv view ocular lens. Both mounted in Weaver Pivot mounts with low rings.

A Denver Redfield Widefield 1.75X5 or a Redfield Lo Pro Widefield 2X7 with either a duplex or post/crosshair are also nice options. Just avoid the "tapered" reticle in the older Redfields, they are very difficult to see in low light situations.

However if you still hunt in situations where you'll jump a buck and only have a split second to get off a shot, then the Leupold Vari X III in 1.5X5 trumps all of them. It has a wide field of view at 1.5 and the most "useable" eyebox of any scope around in my opinion.
I put a 3x Weaver on my sons RC that he got from his Grandpa. I like the vintage look and it has pretty good optics for a 50 year old scope.
I picked up a 336SC at the beginning of deer season last fall. Almost no scopes to be found. I stumbled upon a Bushnell 1.5x-4x. It seems right at home there.
Posted By: JDK Re: Perfect scope for 336RC 35rem? - 06/15/21
Don't know if it is perfect but I have a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 on mine.
Originally Posted by JDK

Had one of those on my 444P. Perfect for a lever gun in a short to medium range cartridge.
I’d go fixed power 2.5x20mm or 4x33mm. Plenty of wide angle and power out to 200 yards. No fussing with altering power, just sight and shoot.
I run straight 3x Leupolds on both my 35 rem and 444 Marlins
I have an older Burris 4x20mm Compact on mine. Seems just about perfect to me…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Good quality straight 4x
Originally Posted by JDK
Same here.
Skinner sights work for me
I'm partial to the Leupold 1-4x20 in it's numerous variations, I have a 1-4x20 Freedom Pig-Plex on one of my coyote rifle and like it a lot. I've used the Weaver V-4.5 when they first came out and graduated to the Leupolds just for the variable, I use that type of scope from my 218 Bee to 35 Whelen, most are Leupolds but the 35 Whelen wears a Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch.
336C 30-30, Leupold VXII 1-4x20 works great for the Whitetails I hunt in Wisconsin and UP - Michigan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1-4x20 is a great choice.
My 336 in 35 rem also wears the Leopold vari X III 1.5x5 also. Just about the perfect combination I think.

Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 x 36 works for me.
https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-lh-1-5-8x32-g4-bdc-moa.html
I have 4 Marlins. 30/30, 35, 44 ,and 444. They all wear the same scope. A short M8 4X Leupold. I've got one extra in the safe in case I find another Marlin I can't live without. They are as good as it gets for me and look good in the short action of the Marlins.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A good clear scope in 1-4 or 2-7 x . Leopold, Vortex, Weaver, etc
I prefer Scout scopes or red dots on my levers. This one is currently out getting NP3'd

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
2-7 on my .35

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by Ky221
2-7 on my .35

I feel like Ive seen that rifle before. Did you have it listed here for sale or buy it from the classifieds?
Originally Posted by warpig602
Originally Posted by Ky221
2-7 on my .35

I feel like Ive seen that rifle before. Did you have it listed here for sale or buy it from the classifieds?

I've probably posted pics of it on threads before and it's been on Facebook; but I bought it local and I don't think I've had it in the classifieds. Unless my memory is really failing lol.
I most definitely remember seeing that stock before.
Originally Posted by warpig602
I most definitely remember seeing that stock before.

It kinda stands out a bit.
Posted By: Joe Re: Perfect scope for 336RC 35rem? - 08/06/21
I'm still using a Weaver 3X Post on my A.

Originally Posted by Joe

Joe,

A superb condition 336-A model.....impressive. Is your rifle a 1973 model, my eyes can't tell.
I'm still looking for a scope I can live with on a 336, everything I put on I take off.
My choice would be Leupold 2.5 - 8 X 36 of which I have 2 both low mounted on Marlin levers...

I too have seen that stock somewhere in the last couple days. Maybe your wife posted it in the classifieds...
Weaver V3; any of today’s quality red dot scopes.
Old gloss 1.5-5 Leupold with Premiere reticle in Weaver bases and rings on a 1955 year model 336 in 35 Remington, 220gr Speers at 2175 are ready for anything in this country out to 200 yards.
My .444, .35 Rem., and .30-30 all have Leupold Shotgun 2-7's with heavy duplex reticles. These seem just about perfect to me. Have a Leupold 1.75-6 heavy duplex on my Savage 99 in .375 Win and a 1.75-6 'shorty' Leupold on my Ruger 96 in .44 mag.
2 1/2 or 3 power aight to do it.
I've used several on my 336 35 Rem.....1-4x20, 2.5x scout scope. My favorite is a 2.5x32 Sightron. Currently I just use an XS ghost ring/rail with no scope. I use the 2.5x32 Sightron on a 77/357......I'd like to find another of those Sightrons for it.
Posted By: Joe Re: Perfect scope for 336RC 35rem? - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by Joe

Joe,

A superb condition 336-A model.....impressive. Is your rifle a 1973 model, my eyes can't tell.

This one was made in 1977. Bought it from a dear friend about 17 years ago.
Leupold fixed 2.5 on my 45-70 and leupold 2x7 on my 336’s
I had a red dot on mine but just bought a leupold 2x10 VX5 HD to gather more light.firedot is handy also
I tried liking a 1x3 weaver. I'm back to irons in a 336 44 rem mag

You will really have to search but if lucky you can find a Bausch&Lomb 1.5x6. These are the Balvar six made in Japan and a real shame no longer made. Super clear glass and fit a Lever Marlin like a glove. I was fortunate to find two. One on a 336 A in 30-30 the other 336 SC in 35 Rem.
Originally Posted by wink_man
I have one 336 with a Denver Redfield 4X with a post/crosshair reticle and a second one with an El Paso Weaver V4.5 1.5X4.5 with duplex reticle and tv view ocular lens. Both mounted in Weaver Pivot mounts with low rings.

A Denver Redfield Widefield 1.75X5 or a Redfield Lo Pro Widefield 2X7 with either a duplex or post/crosshair are also nice options. Just avoid the "tapered" reticle in the older Redfields, they are very difficult to see in low light situations.

However if you still hunt in situations where you'll jump a buck and only have a split second to get off a shot, then the Leupold Vari X III in 1.5X5 trumps all of them. It has a wide field of view at 1.5 and the most "useable" eyebox of any scope around in my opinion.

I'd second this in regards to the 1.5-5 Leupold. Perfect lever action scope in just about every regard, especially if you can find them in gloss. I have 5 of that model currently in service on Marlins, a savage 99, and BLR's. I recently had a 2-7 gloss compact Leupold on a steel receiver BLR 358 go TU, and I've had trouble with other Leupolds, but the 1.5-5's have been solid so far. Being that there's not a lot of options out there for nice trim 1" gloss scopes these days, I hope they keep holding for a long time.

I have a couple Made in USA Burris Short Mag 2-7's on matte finished levers, and they've proved to be exceedingly tough. They look nice on a lever, but they're harder to find than a 1" 1.5-5 these days.

Mostly for lack of something comparable, recently picked up a Korean made Bushnell Prime 1-4 with illuminated German #4 for a Henry in 45-70. Really like the reticle and looks of the scope; wish it were 1", but is what it is these days. Not sure how reliable it'll be, but reviews were good and I figure I'll know soon enough how much recoil it's good for.
The deer in these parts never seem to come out until the last few miutes of light. In the past I've used 1.75-5 x20 but the light gathering ability real don't work, my eye's arent getting any better. I put a Leupy 2-7 x32 on my 336 35 recently. Maybe a little better light gathering I'm hoping. I tend to over scope my hunting rifles. My favorite light rifle is a Ruger 77 light weight carbine with a 16" barrel in 7mm 08. I have a full size Zeiss 3-9x40 on it. Kind of odd combo but you can't kill what you can't see. I can about read a newspaper in the moon light with that scope.
I've got an old long tube M8-4X on my 336SC in .30/30. I wish it was shorter, but it's not too out of place there. I certainly shoot well with it and that's the important part.
1-4 or 1.5-5 leupold.
My Leupold Vari-X III 1.5x5
Originally Posted by Rossimp
I’d go fixed power 2.5x20mm or 4x33mm. Plenty of wide angle and power out to 200 yards. No fussing with altering power, just sight and shoot.

+1
Originally Posted by SLDUCK

What did you not like about it?
I have an aperture sight on mine. If I were to put a scope on it, it would be a very low power scope i.e. 2 1/2 or 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 or even a 1 power.
I like a 3-9x40mm on all my leverguns, no matter what the caliber.
If you must mount a scope, try the Vortex Crossfire II 2x7x32, FANTASTIC little scope, good amount of eye relief, I LOVE mine. But try a Holosun 403b Red Dot, another awesome little optic. I just put one of these on my '81mfg Marlin 1894/44mag, quickly became one of my favorites with the Holosun!
© 24hourcampfire