Home
A couple years ago, a solid 336 on Gunbroker was easy to find at $500-600. Now, the prices are absolutely insane. I realize it's partly the panic and partly because JM stamps look more collectible post-Remlin and now into the Ruger iterations... but yeesh.
It’s nuts! I remember going to gun shows 5-6 years ago and you could pick up a 336 for $300. Careful of gunbroker! They are starting to have a lot of issues with scammers. But to your question I doubt stuff will ever drop back as low as it once was.
I think the market is real slow now. I have been trying to sell a 336SC for some time now. I think part of the issue is that ammo is so hard to find. Guys don't want to buy a new gun/caliber and not have ammo for it.
Even the "Remlins" are sky high if you can find one.
The "Ruglins" (Ruger made Marlins) should be hitting the market soon.
The Store brands have even gone crazy. Western Auto, Revelation, Glenfield etc. 6-700 dollars!
For a split second I was interested in a new Henry with the sidegate but for a grand not so much.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
For a split second I was interested in a new Henry with the sidegate but for a grand not so much.

Buy once cry once. I like my X model better than any of the Marlins or the Rossi I've owned.

Thanks, Dinny
Henry's don't have the right weight, balance, looks, or ergonomics for me.
I don’t see the prices falling very much. I agree on the Henry’s, love the rimfires, but the centerfires are heavy and too expensive. But they are a great company.
Winchester perfected the handling of leverguns a long time ago. Marlin is just a step behind in that department but still great. Then along comes Henry and they handle like a 2x4.
The Marlins are as much as the Winchesters now. I sold a 1895 SS with a bunch of stuff years back for $800, sure wish I kept it!
Crazy times

This '77 336 was $199 out the door at a pawnshop just a dozen years ago. I wish I still have my 1894 in 32/20. I wonder what my 336er would bring today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
With the government printing up trillions it does not have, you can expect prices to go up. I'm thinking owning firearms is a hedge against inflation.
I see lots of big asking prices but not a ton of them are moving at those prices. The better rarer stuff yes but tons of guys don't even stop to look at gun shows once they see a crazy price they leave the whole display that person has and figure there is no way they can meet in the middle. I try to make money off each sale but I just buy and sell to try new guns out, I keep my favorites but move the rest to buy more. Some day all this free money is going to dry up and there will be way less buyers out there.
I live in a Walmart area. That is at the local shows prices that many people are willing to pay is what they think they saw at Walmart a few years ago - then they want a discount if it is used, they think that they can save a buck by pestering you for 15 or more minutes.

On the other hand, look at prices at internet sites. Guns are going for quite a bit more money than a couple years ago. And like I said, the government is handing out a free trillion dollars that they printed and that is just what they recently added - what do you think - where will prices go?

Inflation at its finest.
I think they will go back down. This won't keep up foreve
I see the prices coming back down slightly, but not anytime soon! I want a 444p badly, but not for $2000+
I agree with so many of these posts. I bought a straight stocked 30-30 marlin off a table at a show for $325 two years ago. Little gun was in 95% condition. A buddy of mine offered me a grand for it a couple of weeks ago It’s still in my safe
Moosemike ,I agree the Henry’s just don’t feel right to me either
I am late to the party for sure. I bought my first Marlin back in 1975 and it was a 444. I moved on to bolt guns and that is where I am for the most part today. A couple of years ago I bought a 39 at a gun show and there was a Marlin 44 mag floating around for about $550 that looked almost new. Well that got me fired up on lever actions again and I was going to try and buy a few. I wanted something in a pistol cal. like a 357 or 44, and I wanted a 45/70 and long octagon barrels have always tripped my trigger. Well I started a little too late as what I able to find were starting to bring really big prices and it has done nothing but go up.
Lots of shooters feel that the prices will fall once the Ruger Marlins hit the market in greater numbers and models. I read another thread where a guy picked up a new Ruger 1895 and paid +/'- $1050 through his local shop. Dealer cost was about $100 less than that.
As long as the Ruger made Marlins are in the 4 digit price range the JMs will hold their value. There will not be anymore JMs. This is just an old man's thoughts on this. That may also be wrong as I'm still a walnut and blue guy in most cases.
Have a great day.
Jim
Was at a gun show yesterday Least expensive beat to heck up marlin variant was around $750 (I’m talking glen fields and revaluation models) any decent 336 was $900 and up Never thought I would see the day I walk out of a gun show with a mint 700 classic 338 win mag that I paid less than what they are asking for a marlin lever 30-30
Things certainly are crazy IMO. glad I'm not looking for one.
crazy price
bbassi,

I was going to start a separate thread, but will just follow you up. Today, I bought a 336 exactly like the one in your link, in just as good condition and all original. Never been scoped. Only detraction is it was made in 85/86 and has the safety.

I bought it from a guy I've known and hunted with 20 years. He bought it new from Lew Horton distributors when he was moving from Boston to Vermont. He bought a box of Win.170gr. Silvertips and from that box fired this rifle six times. It's been in the safe unused since then. With the rifle today, I got that box of ammo with the six empties.

I would have thought I was crazy before this to pay $600.00 for a Marlin 336, but was thrilled to buy it for that price in this condition.
I hate to tell the people that believe JM Marlin's are prices are going to drop.....its never going to happen price will stay the same you might find a deal like any other firearm but the prices you see today will be the same or higher....I've dealt in firearms for to many years the spike that we have seen in the past year plus has been unlike any I've ever seen and hopefully it level off....only problem is it will level off in a Depression....
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/926097784
If anyone is looking, this one looks good and not priced out of sight.
I read where we are looking at 10% inflation.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I read where we are looking at 10% inflation.

My public school math must be failing me because everything I look at has gone up way more than the 7.5% (or even 10%) that the news outlets are saying we are having.
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I think the market is real slow now. I have been trying to sell a 336SC for some time now. I think part of the issue is that ammo is so hard to find. Guys don't want to buy a new gun/caliber and not have ammo for it.

What caliber and how much?
© 24hourcampfire