Home
Posted By: D_Dial Glenfield 30 - 01/23/22
I know this is asked so many times on so many different models. But here goes….

How much do you think a fair buying price for a glenfield 30? Local shop has it, my wife was jumping up and down saying buy it buy it! I try not to impulse buy, like to study it before committing. She shot an Armadillo back in the day with my Savage 340 and has loved 30-30’s ever since.

Anyway, I’ve been out of the lever game for a while. As of lately seems as if I’ve become a Contender junkie!

Shop is asking $625. Condition is probably a 7 on a 10 scale. It’s on consignment and the owner did state there is some wiggle room on price.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/23/22
That seems a little steep to me, but times are changing. If it makes your wife happy, then go with God.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/23/22
The price seems high for a Glenfield model 30 yet these days all Marlin prices are crazy high. If the rifle in question has the 2/3 magazine, no checkering with birch wood......GO BUY IT.....NOW.

I have a Marlin model 30 with the 2/3 magazine which is a MOA shooter with bullet weights from 125 gr to 170 gr.
I went through four 30-30's that went down the road before buying this little gem.

I tuned the rifle trigger, floated the forearm and relieved the forearm cap from not touching the barrel. I should re-stock with rifle with nicely figured wood, case color the receiver etc for a family heirloom .....yet likely never will.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/23/22
I have a Glenfield 30 and I like it. I had to change the strap near the end of the barrel because the original strap was weak and it broke. I put on a Marlin strap and had no issues with it. I had not shot that rifle in a long time.
I have seeds/food out for pheasants and other birds. Squirrels come and gorge themselves chasing the pheasants away.
Yesterday I took that Glenfield out of the closet and the 30-30 took care of one nasty squirrel.
The Glenfield is a nice lever gun. I didn’t mind mounting a scope on it since my wife doesn’t do well with iron sights. I don’t remember if it had holes on top for scope mounting, but it isn’t a collector model. It is the only lever gun other than my 256 with a scope.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/23/22
That seems mighty steep for a M-30, one can readily find Marlin 336s in that price range and, with a little looking, even the 24" barrel, 2/3 magazine version. A 35 caliber and especially 32 Special will run more but the common 30/30 is much less.

I would see what the "wiggle room" is, even 25% off would put it out of my price for a Glenfield.
Posted By: D_Dial Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/24/22
This one does have the 2/3 magazine which I like and it has the stamped checkering.
Do believe I’m gonna pass on it. It’s a want not a need so no logical reason to over pay for it.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/24/22
I regret passing on one about half that price six or eight years ago. With inflation and the market for them being what it is now, that’s roughly equivalent.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Glenfield 30 - 01/24/22
A couple hours ago, I just about pulled the trigger on a Win 94 AE carbine for $450. It was in very good condition with the only flaws being swivel studs being placed very near the toe of the stock and having the magazine drilled and tapped for a sling stud near the end. I just couldn't do it as I have several 30/30/303 Savage/30 Remington already on hand. I'll probably kick myself over this but I'll get over it.
© 24hourcampfire