Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag 336 with Fastfire - 02/19/22
Anybody using the Fastfire on a 336?

How do you like it and how is height?

Prefer to use the mount and not a Weaver style base.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/20/22
I fooled with one a while ago and found it too high for my liking. Felt unnatural to me.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/20/22
Not on a 336 but I put one on a Marlin 1894 45colt it was to high also, so I put a leather buttstock shell holder with a raised cheek rest on and now its just right,
I can't see the rear sight anymore even tried a Skinner rear peep and these are much faster than a scope.
I have the 3moa dot and can pick it up pretty quick, I also have the same sight on some handguns and a 10-22 for steel match.
I like it for closer shots say out to 75 yards any farther and I would prefer a low powered scope.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/21/22
Those are with the FF mounting plate and not a Weaver base correct?
Posted By: TheKid Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/21/22
In my case yes. I imagine with the Weaver you’d need a giraffe neck.
I figured with the plate it would actually be lower than a scope and not much higher than irons.

May need to scrap that idea.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/21/22
To be fair I’ve never found a scope to be anywhere near natural or comfortable on a Marlin either. Low mounted peep with a Patridge front is what all of mine wear. Same with Savage 99s or anything else with a stock with much drop.
I get that. My eyes aren't the best and fiber optic open sights suck to my eyes, too much stsrburst effect.

May try a fiber rear or a peep with a brass front bead.
Posted By: roundoak Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/21/22
I really like the SpeedBead shotgun sight for turkey hunting and decided to put a Fastfire on a Marlin 336. After practicing with it it I took it off and I put the Williams FP back on.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/21/22
I tried one on another lever and it did not do well with my astigmatism. If a fiber optic sight starbursts on you, I would think the Fastfire will be worse.

Try a brass bead and a brass twilight aperture from Williams. Or if you prefer a front ramp with a white line and a brass twilight aperture. They both work great and well after the point when I can’t even see deer much past 25 yards anyway.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 336 with Fastfire - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I get that. My eyes aren't the best and fiber optic open sights suck to my eyes, too much stsrburst effect.

May try a fiber rear or a peep with a brass front bead.
An ivory bead always showed up better than brass for me and doesn't glare in direct sunlight like brass can. I used an ivory bead front in conjunction with a Williams receiver sight on my model 94 for years and killed a pile of deer and assorted varmints with it.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: 336 with Fastfire - 03/03/22
I put a Atiball red dot on my 38-55 the other day.

I put it on a rail on top of the receiver,it sets just right for 3 guys shooting it.

Not to hard to figure holdover at 500 yards but out here the windage can be a booger.

It seems faster to get on target and it is not to large.
© 24hourcampfire